Abby L's blog

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

teacher: Tina Jovanovich

This is officially the last blog that we are going to be doing this year in geometry! :(. For the most part, I really did enjoy blogging and I just might miss it. Anyways this weeks assignment is an extra credit blog. All that we have to do is to post ten suggestions for the future freshman at York High School, so, without further ado, here is my list.

1) Just be a nice person, if you are nice there is no reason that people won't want to hang out with you.

2) Stay away from the cafeteria food, it gross, unless you are going to get a drink or dried fruit.

3) Try your hardest! High school is not just for fun, you have a goal to work towards, hopefully college!

4) Do not be afraid to try new things, like clubs, sports, or a new circle of friends, even if you get passed by, rejection has never killed anyone!

5) Be yourself, high school is about finding yourself.

6) Don't give up, if you have a bad grade, just keep trying, don't let the grade go down the drain.

7) Do not be afraid to talk to your teachers, they are there for a reason, to help you, they are a great resource.

8) Try not to be judgmental, it's not a great way to make friends or to start of your semi-adulthood life.

9) Stay away from anything that could be harmful to yourself, mentally or physically, high school is about learning to ignore peer pressure.

10) When you are in the cafeteria, keep your eyes on your own table or group of friends, don't stare at upper class men.

This week in geometry has been okay so far. I was depressed at getting a really bad grade on our previous test, but now I am so glad and grateful that I can retake it for a 85! YAY! I am definitely going to study a lot for geometry for the weekend, for both the tests coming up and the final. I think that I am going to have to work pretty hard to get a good grade on the final, but I definitely want a 85 or higher. As of right now, not including the scratch project, which will hopefully boost my grade, I have a D+ in geometry, which is not okay with me at all, I need to get on honors! Anyways, this week we have been focusing on sin, cos, and tan, which are really fun to do in the homework.

Also, Ms. J asked our class to do a post about a question in the past on a geometry test. I am going to discuss one on this past test because it is something that I still need to work on. On the last test, in multiple questions, but especially number fifteen, I messed up the formulas that you need to get a certain shape. I think that number fifteen deals with kites. When we went over the test I realized that instead of 1/2(d1*d2), which is the correct formula for a kite, I wrote 1/2bh, which is a very stupid mistake. Although I regret this mistake, at least I know what the right formula is know, for the retest.

I think that we should have a test, soon, in geometry because I really need it. We should have a mad minute on perfect squares, up to 25 because I have been studying them and I would be helpful to, hopefully, everyone's grade.

This week in geometry we started a very fun and new topic that is known as right triangle trigonometry. This has to do with finding out the lengths of the sides of a right triangle, as long as you have one of the angles and on of the other sides. We can use sine, cosine, and tangent to get these sides. In order to use sine, we have to know either the opposite side and or the hypotenuse and the one we don't known has to be the unknown. The same goes for cosine, which uses the adjacent side and the hypotenuse, and tangent, which uses the opposite side and the adjacent one. These can all be abbreviated to SOH, which means sine, opposite, hypotenuse, CAH, which is cosine, adjacent, and hypotenuse, TOA, which is tangent, opposite, and adjacent.

I really think that I am going to enjoy, and like, this unit because it is something that I have done before. At my old school we had a huge unit on SOH, CAH, TOH and we had this project, where we had to find the height of a building, a tree and a car, using only the SOH, CAH, TOA method. I really enjoyed that project.

Anyways, I am really sad and excited that school is coming to a really quick close. The days seem to be flying by, and I really should start studying for exams! However, I am so excited to spend summer in York, I am looking forward to going to the beach, getting my own job, and relaxing without any school, except for the occasional AP english classes.

This week in geometry we have a lot going one. First of all, our scratch project was due one tuesday. I turned it in on time, of course, and I hope that I get a pretty good grade, but I have no idea what is going to go down on that project because scratch was really hard for me to work! Every time that I would save my project, it would change itself, like it had a mind of its own. Also, when I tried to make it go one forever, but every time I tried doing that it messed up and started over halfway through my project.

Anyways, we have been learning all about area formulas, especially those having to do with circles. My favorite one is finding the area of a sector, which is the angle of the sector over three hundred sixty times pi, radius squared. I like this formula because it makes sense, and that means that I do not have to memorize it, I just have to know what a sector is and what part of the circle that it contains.

Another thing that we are having in geometry this friday is a quiz! This quiz is going to be on everything we have been doing for two weeks. I definitely am going to have to study for this, but I think that I am going to go into Ms. J's room tomorrow at lunch because I am going to work on the sheet we got in class and the homework, if I have any questions that I will definitely ask her.

Overall, I like this unit, so far, but I am not sure I am going to get a great grade on this quiz coming up. Another thing that I have to do in the geometry class is to pick up my english project, it has been sitting in that classroom for so long, but I am going to try to remember to get it today.

This week in geometry we have been going into learning all about special triangle, meaning the 30-60-90 triangles and the 45-45-90 triangles. The first special triangle that I mentioned have three different sides that can all be found if you known one length of the triangles side. I remember that this is the triangles with three different side lengths because it also has three different angle lengths. The next triangle that we looked at was the 45-45-90 triangle which was interesting, and the triangles that I personally liked better, because the rule was easier to remember. Both of the legs equal the same number and the hypotenuse is the leg number times root 2. I also like this triangle better because I can always picture half of a square, so it is easier for me to remember.

Another aspect of geometry that I becoming exciting is our scratch projects. So far I really like where my project is going, in fact I am almost done. My tessellation object looks like a dove, which is really cool. Unfortunately, very suddenly after I had been working on it for a while my main sprite disappeared and I do not know what happened to it. It seems to be invisible even

though I did not tell it to "hide". I am definitely going to go into Ms. J because that could ruin my whole project. I am also looking forward to seeing all of the other projects that people will hopefully show to the class.

The more and more that we get into these special triangles and finding the areas of objects, the more complicated the math seems to get. I think that this would be another reason that I could use to go see Ms. J at lunch tomorrow.

Last weekend was super busy for me so I forgot to do my geometry blog :( However, this is the first day of the next week and I am determined to do all of my blogs on time from now on.

Not a lot has happened since the last blog that I posted, but I will try to describe everything that has happened. So, today, Monday, we took a binder quiz. This was definitely the WORST binder quiz that I have ever taken. This quiz has taught me that I definitely need to start getting more prepared for geometry class. I think that I can do this by putting all of my papers in the back of my binder, and, in my planner, I can start writing down the dates of when we get worksheets. Also, I need to keep my notes in one section, not in my binder, my backpack and my notebook. Dates are also super important and I need to stop slacking off on writing dates to everything that we do, get, take notes on, and do homework on. If I do these two things then next time we take a binder quiz I am really aspiring to getting a 100%.

We have also started a new topic in geometry. This unit is all about perfect squares and finding the square roots of different number. This is definitely not my favorite topic. We have not doing this in algebra yet so I am getting very confused. I think that I am going to go in to Ms. Jovanovich at lunch time tomorrow to get some extra help. This includes using pythagoreans theorem to find the different sides of triangles after learning one or more of the other sides of the triangles. Pythagoreans theorem is known as a squared plus b squared equals c squared. I really like using this theorem because it is simple and is ver helpful when one wanted to find the different measurements of a triangles sides.

Another thing that we are going to be tested on is our ability to conjure up perfect squares from number all of the way up to twenty. Next class we are going to have a "mad minute" on them, so that is another thing that I am going to do for homework.

This week, I am sad to say, that I forgot to do my weekly blog! This is my first time forgetting to do so, I think, so I am very disappointed in myself. Anyways I am doing it now and I am going to talk about translations and the the test/quiz "quest" that we took last friday.

First of all, since we have gotten back from break and before break we have been working on translations. I really like translations because there are no proofs involved with them and also because they are very straightforward. And, even though they can get tedious at times, I feel like I am doing the problem right and I generally feel confident doing these problems. My favorite translation would probably be the refection. At first they were the hardest, for me, because the problems that had a equation were very confusing, however, after going into see Ms. Jovanovich I fully understood how to do them and they became fun. My least favorite translations are known as dialations. These were confusing at first because I always though that I just had to dialate their sides and I forgot about the angles. Anyways, they are just confusing for me. However, the dialation on the test is one that I feel that I did good.

Now, the "quest"... I think that this was definitely the best, in terms of hardness and easiness, test that I have ever taken in geometry. I think that I got all of the drawing question write, however, there was one multiple choice question that I think I got wrong. That still means that I could have gotten a good grade overall though.

This week in geometry we started working on a new chapter called transformations. I like this chapter so far because it seems kind of easy, however I am sure that it will eventually get harder. So far we have learned about transformations in class, which was good. Next class we are all looking forward to learning about rotations.

Another thing that we recently started looking at in geometry was the program scratch. We are going to be doing a project with tessellations and I think that will be kind of fun to do. At my old school I took a class where we worked with scratch for about two months, so I am not great at doing a scratch project, but I can definitely get around okay. Hopefully this project will give me an extra boost this quarter, I am aiming for another B or higher.

Tennis has also been starting up this week, which is really exciting. I still don't know if I made varsity or if I am on junior varsity. I am really hoping that I am going to be on Varsity, but you never know, so I am keeping my hopes kind of low. Other than stressing about varsity or junior varsity, tennis has been really fun and I enjoy playing a competitive game with my friends.

Last week I forgot to do my blog, so this is me trying to make it up. I almost never forget my blogs so I am super disappointed in myself. Anyways I will try to make this blog extra good to make up for my forgetting one last week.

Anyways last week we got our poster projects back. I am really disappointed in my grade. I got a 88, but I needed something higher to boost my grade. I am still not completely sure everything I did wrong because I tried to do everything on the rubric, however I do know some things that I can do in order to improve a poster grade for next time. I believe that the most important thing to learn from a bad grade is how to improve, and if I improve next time than maybe I will feel better about this grade. Another thing that we got back last week was our homework grades for that previous chapter. I got another low grade on that, and I seem to continuously do so. From now on I am just going to do all of my math homework on graph paper, because, many of the notes suggesting improvement on the homework paper said I needed to use graph paper. Hopefully this will improve my homework grade for this next chapter.

Quarter three ended last friday and overall I am kind of pleased with my geometry grade, it is higher than it normally is, but I still wish that it were higher.

Today is a Monday and I am exhausted. That is not a good sign for the rest of the week. I think that I need to get more sleep, but there is no time. I am starting driver's ed. today and it goes until nine... I'm going to be tired tomorrow too. Anyways I'm sure everyone is tired today, after all it is a monday. I already can not wait for break where I can just relax with hopefully very little homework.

So far this week, in geometry we have done a lot of revision, which is great because I definitely needed some explaining on the past homework assignments. I think that all of my major questions were answered, but I really need some more experience with proofs in this unit. Maybe this next homework assignment will give some practice on proofs, but I am not positive that it will. I think that our next test is coming up soon too, so I better start studying.

Today, at the end of class, we got our geometry tests back and I was kind of pleased with mine. I was fine with everything, except the short answer on the median problem. That was kind of difficult for me because I thought that making the base slope perpendicular would not work and it turns out that it was the correct answer for slope. So, that is too bad. I am also looking forward to getting my poster project back because I really could use a good grade now and I think that the poster project will really help me out.

Article posted March 18, 2012 at 02:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

This week in geometry has gone pretty good. I am starting to raise my grade up from a C to a B, which is great! In class we are just starting our unit on quadrilaterals, we are learning all about the different characteristics and definitions of squares, rectangles, rhombuses, parallelograms, trapezoids, isosceles trapezoids and kites. I really like this unit because of the shape aspect. I think that, in geometry, what really trips me up are the proofs. Sometimes I am confident in them and on other days I get them totally wrong, which is really confusing. Hopefully, in this unit there will be no confusing proofs for me to mess up on.

We also took a binder quiz this previous week and I think that I did okay. There was one question that threw me off, which was the first one, I could not find a worksheet from January 31 anywhere, but at least it was just one question. If that was the only question that I got wrong than I still would have ended up with a ninety, which is okay.

Another thing that I am looking forward to in geometry is getting our grades back for the poster projects that we did a while back. I really enjoyed making my poster and I honestly think that I included everything on the rubric and I did six shapes so I am very hopeful for a good grade. I check powerschool about five times a day for my geometry grades, so I can definitely say that I don't have it back yet.

Bye, until next week!

Today is my birthday! I am so excited. Today in geometry we had a test and I feel extremely confident about the multiple choice, I would be surprised if I got more than one multiple choice question wrong. Also, I am not sure how the long answer question went, I feel like I did it wrong, because I did not know how to do it. However I feel like I did not write the equation right at all because I did not know what the slope was, hopefully I did get it right though, my fingers are definitely crossed. Another question was the indirect proof, which I read over and felt like I got right, I just hope that included everything that was supposed to be included. The coordinate proof was really good though. I think that my hand writing and organization of the proof was correct and my answer makes total sense. Overall this test went okay, if there was one thing that I wish I had studied more, it would have been the second homework of the year, working with finding the slopes of the altitude, medians etc.

Another interesting thing that has been going on this week has been the visits from the Neasc people. I haven't really noticed them, as they are so quiet, however everyone around me says some of them are mean. I don't know if this is true, but from what I've seen, it is not.

Also, this week is a four day week, which is fantastic because I feel like I need a treat, it will be like a late birthday present!

This week, in geometry, one of the main things that I focused on was the poster project that was assigned.The line of a triangle that I got was a perpendicular bisector. The concurrent point of this line of triangle is called the circumcenter. The title of my poster was called "I'll Meet You Right in the Middle" because the perpendicular bisector hit the middle of a segment and it hit the side of the right angle. I really liked this project because it included a lot of drawing and not as much writing. I really like being able to follow certain instruction and being able to cross them off a list. I think that I did a really god job on this project. I did everything that was on the list really well and I really liked my title too.

Another thing that is coming up in our geometry class is the next chapter test, chapter 6. After doing parts of both the chapter review and the chapter tests. I was able to understand the the range of information that we are going to need to know. The only question that I was caught up on was number fifteen on the chapter test, we had to use indirect reasoning and I did not exactly know how to do that, even after looking back on the chapter where is occurred. I think that I will have to see Ms. Jovanovich on Monday to clarify that matter. Otherwise, I feel very confident in the topics and subjects we covered. However there is one main thing that I am worried about for the test, and that would be coordinate proofs. These are definitely my least favorite type of proofs because I am kind of a messy person and it is hard to organize my work exactly how it should be. Luckily, in this chapter, we also came across indirect proofs, which are my favorite proofs, probably because there is a wide range of what you can say.

Overall geometry is going good.

I am writing this blog in a condo at one of my favorite ski resorts! This february my family decided to go skiing. We are really big skiers and for past winter breaks we have gone to Grindelwald, Chominix, St. Anton, lake Tahoe and a bunch of other places. I really love skiing and am kind of dreading going back to school.

This past week in geometry we learned a lot about indirect proofs. I really liked how the notes were nice and short, however I kind of wish that we could have of had a real example. I hope that we will get some more practice at these proofs before we have to do them in an actual quiz, or test. Also, I liked how mrs. Jovanovich took a lot of time to go over the homework this week, I definitely needed it. I always seem to struggle with the last problem on the homework, so I am glad we went over all of those questions. One other thing that we did this week was get our quizzes back. All I can say is :(, I am really disappointed. I thought that I did well on that quiz, but I guess not I made a stupid error on one of the short answer questions and that brought me down a lot.

On a better note, at the end of class on Friday, mrs. Jovanovich showed us all this really fun game called cube attack or something. I just googled dead whale to bring up the game. Anyways I am totally addicted to this game my high score is 11000 at the moment, but that will hopefully change soon. Bye for now!

It is Friday, thank god and I am exhausted, this morning I woke up and I thought that it was Wednesday. So, I was rushing around in the morning until I groggily realized that it was friday, and I have two full days to do my homework.

This weekend I am super excited because my friend, who lives in Concord, New Hampshire is coming over. We might go to the dance this weekend, but I am kind of scared that she will get scared of some of the "dancing" that goes on at our dances. If we don't go to the dance than we will probably go to the movies or something.

Also, this weekend, I am going to play tennis for about three hours and I am super excited for that. I really want to make the tennis team, which is why I am practicing for three hours.

This week in Geometry, our class was told to comment on two different scratch posts from two different people. I commented on Marissa's and Hannah's posts because they both posted fun games that I got to try.

Article posted February 5, 2012 at 04:22 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Last night I slept over at a friends house and as soon as we got up, we went to the ocean to go swimming!! At school, we have a club called the 'Interact Club' and we do a lot of charity and fund raising for all different kinds of charities. This weekend we did a polar dip to raise money for Make-a-Wish foundation, this is a foundation that supports kids and teenagers who have a special wish that they could not get on their own. I raised $191, which I was very jovial about. The person who raised the most money will get an i-tunes gift card for $50, which was definitely something to work towards.

We had to jump in at about nine forty five, and we just had to dunk our heads and get out, thankfully, because it was absolutely freezing. As soon as my head was in the water, my breath was coming slower and I started walking instead of running. For a minute I thought that one of the three ambulances waiting on the road was going to be for me. After the dip, I rushed right home and took a hot shower.

Anyways, this past week in geometry was a little bit harder towards the beginning. I had missed a class that previous week and the first day of this week. The book work from this past class was pretty easy for me, I really liked the algebra part of the work. I bet that we are going to have a quiz coming up pretty soon, so I am going to study on sunday for a little bit. This semester I really want to get at least at B- in geometry so I am definitely going to try and work hard.

Good bye until next week!

P.S. GO PATS=http://!!!

Article posted January 23, 2012 at 09:25 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

Today is Monday and I am already writing my weekly blog. Last week our class did not have an assigned blog so it is good to get into the swing of things again. Exams are over an I am happy in every class except geometry. I always have in between an eighty and a ninety and I do not know why I always have such low grades. I studied for this class and I thought it went well...

Anyways, today, in class, we reviewed formulas for a line and for me it was brand new stuff that we have not talked about in algebra yet. I am going to have to review a lot I guess. I feel confident because I started studying the formulas in algebra, the class after geometry, however, whenever I feel confident in this class I usually end up doing badly.

In our weekly blogs this week our class was told to look up different scratch programs, put down the link, and say why we liked a certain video or program.

There were two videos that I especially liked when I was on the scratch website. The first one was called "how to make a duct tape rose pen". This video shows how one can obtain a duct tape rose pen with two colors of duct tape and a pen. I liked this video because I enjoy art (usually) and this seemed like a really pretty project. Also I did not know that you could teach something on scratch.

[LINK]

The second video that I enjoyed was a game called snake eyes. This game had a pair of dice that one could role and whoever got the higher dice number, the computer or the player would win. You could also type in how many rounds you would want to play. I liked this video because it was an interactive game. I also enjoyed the music that went along with this game.

[LINK]

This week in geometry we have done a lot of work with isosceles triangles. Also this week, on wednesday, today, we had a TEST! I was extremely careful on this test, double checking everything and I felt pretty confident coming out of it. The only two aspects of the test that I had some trouble with was question number nineteen. This question had to do with finding the measures of angles in an isosceles triangle, but there were two variable, which is what made this particular question difficult for me. The other aspect of the test that was small, but hard was the very last justification on the proof, or the last problem on the test. Other than those two problems everything went smoothly and I am really hoping for a good grade on that test and this blog so that I can have a B to go home on my report card. Also, hopefully, I will get a good grade on the possible binder quiz that our class will probably take on Friday!!!

Other than that midterms are coming up. I am not too nervous, because I have been studying, but none the less they are kind of scary. The only midterms that I am worried for are the Biology midterm, because we cover so much information, the geometry midterm, because some of our material does not sink into my head, and the english midterm, because we have to write an essay and my grammar and spelling is not great when I am being rushed. Other than that german should be easy, as well as algebra and health because we are allowed to use our binders while we take the midterm. Anyways happy MLK day to everyone next Monday. Another problem that I am coming across before midterms is how to study. There are so amny different ways and I am trying to do them all. Re-read the book, redo the homework, and talk to friends. On monday I am going to a study group so hopefully, that will help.

Article posted January 6, 2012 at 04:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

Vacation is over and the new year has begun. I have made a bunch of new years resolutions, one of these includes me working harder in geometry, as it is the one subject where I am kind of struggling in. Luckily this week in class and the week before vacation were both weeks that I really enjoyed, to the extent of liking math.The ASA postulate, AAS theorem, SSS postulate, and SAS postulates were all some of my favorite postulates and theorems that we have used so far. Another "reason" that we learned how to use this week was CPCTC, which can be a justification in proofs for proving unknown sides or angle congruent. This reason can only be used if we know that the two triangles are already congruent.

Also, this week, we had a quiz on all of the postulates and theorems that I had previously mentioned in this blog. The quiz was also and proving triangles congruent. One of the new ways that we were recently taught to do proofs was called a flow proof. Flow proofs are similar to table proofs, except they need more space, are contained in drawn boxes, and you can make the proof connected in any way using lines. In this most recent quiz we had to do two flow proofs. The first proof was kind of easy for me, but the second one was slightly harder because it involved more steps.

Overall this test was pretty good and I felt pretty confident going in and coming out of it. Hope fully I got at least a B- on it. I am crossing my fingers!

Until next week!

Article posted December 23, 2011 at 02:39 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

This week in geometry I felt like there a lot of work in the beginning of the week, Tuesday, and much less during the end of the week, Thursday.

Finally, today, our class turned in our geometry projects. We first presented our projects, to the whole class then we walked around everyones table to view their projects. We voted on the project with the best theme, the most creative, most earth friendly and the 'other' category. The 'other' category was one that we could make up and personalize to someone who we felt deserved a reward. All of the winners of these categories will receive extra credit, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people want the extra credit, not that anyone really needs it. My favorite project, other than mine, was Livy and Hannah's, their project was called 'Candii Landii'. It had tons of bounces and their decorations were great, with real candy and a lot of glitter. I also liked their name, 'Candii Landii'.

Exams are coming up two weeks after break! This is the first time I am going to take exams, or midterms, in this case.I have to study for two math classes, so that will be interesting, for these classes I am definitely going to get extra help. I think I can easily study for Algebra 1, but with Geometry the extra help is definitely needed. I am going to take Ms. Jovanovich's help class and just review for twenty minutes a night on the topics we have covered so far. Biology will be easy to study for, but it will take a long time to go over all of the topics, so I will probably get together with friends to study, in order to make make the long hours more useful. For english exams I believe that we are going to write an essay and be tested on vocab., I am mostly going to use flashcards to study the vocab. I will also use flashcards for german class. I am going to designate two seven hour days during vacation to study, this way I can relax on the other part of my vacation.

bye! Until next year!!!

So far, this week in geometry, we have been learning about congruent figures. We have learned about how to categorize shapes if they are congruent by their sides and their angles. The homework we got was pretty easy, in my opinion, however, the last question (#45) was pretty hard so when I come in during lunch to see mrs. Jovanovich I am going to ask her about it. Also, in this blog, we were asked to pick a favorite theorem or postulate, and the tell why its our favorite. My favorite postulate is the "corresponding angles postulate". I like this postulate because corresponding angles can be found in many situations, this is unlike many theorems or postulates, where they can only be found in parallel lines or triangles etc. The corresponding angles postulate also tells a lot about the shape or situation it is located in, if an angle or segment is congruent, then we can find out a lot about that shape or situation. I also like the triangle exterior angle theorem because we always seem to have a ton of triangle problems, where you have to solve for the variables. This theorem is very useful in this case because it says that the two remote interior angles of an exterior angle will add up to that exterior angle. I use this theorem all of the time.

Otherwise, out of school, I have been pretty busy with homework. Teachers are really loading it on because when we have break, no one wants to give out homework, which I am super grateful for!!! I cannot wait until Christmas! It is my favorite time of the year, I always bake a trillion cookies and I love skiing, and being around my family!

Bye until next week!

Wow, we are heading into our chapter(s) test on

monday. This test will be about polygons, angles, and parallel lines. After completing the chapter test I feel pretty confident about this test. As always, I am a little worried about the proofs, so I think I am going to go into Ms. Jovanovich's room for some help. Now, on a good note, one of my favorite units in this chapter was all about the exterior angles and solving for "x" in the exterior angle problems.

This weekend is really exciting for me. One of my best friends is coming over for the weekend, and its just going to be really fun. We are having a christmas party on Saturday for my Dad's work, which I think will also be fun, especially since my mom spent all of Friday cooking delicious cookies!!! One other thing that we might do this weekend would be to go swimming. We are going to try and jump in, then out of the water really quickly! We might not do it, but we are going to go dow to the ocean today and see how cold it really is.

Recently I have been doing Yoga, because I am really unflexible. So far the "angle" at which I can spread my legs out has greatly improved, and I recommend Yoga to anyone who is feeling unflexible, boy or girl.

Bye, until next week!

Hi!! This week I have felt kind of unorganized. I am blaming it on post-beak stress, but hopefully by next week I will have everything under control.

This week in geometry we learned about a new project that we will be doing, 'hole in one'. We have to create a mini, mini golf hole, and we have to be able to prove that we can get a hole in one, using the angle of reflection and the angle of incidence. So basically this week we learned about the angle of reflection and the angle of incidence. We also took a quiz this week. There were three table proofs that we had to do, that was pretty much it. I kind of had a blank moment at the beginning of the quiz, but after that it went pretty well. My last one was really messy, but I think that most of it was right. My fingers are crossed! I believe that proofs and the first unit we did were the hardest things in geometry so far, but I think that I am getting better at the proofs!!

Anyways, this weekend has been going pretty well. We went hiking, which was fun. I still cannot believe it is December and the temperature is in the low fifties!

Bye for now!

Article posted November 22, 2011 at 04:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Today in geometry we talked, in class, about binomials and how to solve for their opposites. In other words factoring. Although we haven't done these in algebra so far they don't seem too bad (knock on wood). We also had a binder quiz, which went okay. I think I got an 80% or 90%, which is better then last time, but I still wish that the grade was higher, obviously.

This week we only have one day of Geometry, two days in total! Yay! Vacation! I am really excited, I love this holiday because family and food are my two favorite things, besides geometry (of course)! My personal favorite dishes are the stuffing and the turkey, yummy!

I am not trying to whine, but I kinda wish we had the whole week off. I'm really jealous of my brother's, who have tuesday off, but I'll find a way to pay, even though they didn't do anything! Anyways I was just thinking about the vacation time between here and my old school, MIS. It seemed like we had more vacation time in MIS, but we had a much shorter summer there too. Basically I did the math and in MIS we had a total of 93 days off, not including weekends, but including summer. In york we have 123! This was really surprising to me because it seems like we have shorter vacations, but really they are longer overall. The only thing I was confused about was when York schools ended, the calendar said graduation was the 14th but I'm not sure if that is when we get out of school...

I hope that everyone has a great vacation, that you relax, eat and have fun with family! I know that I will!

Abby

Hi again! This week was by far my favorite week in geometry. The past two units have been about parallel lines and proofs. I believe that the parallel lines are fun to work with because their properties are easy to memorize. This week we also worked on table proofs, which I actually enjoy. Especially because compared to the paragraph proofs they are interesting to me. Table proofs seem more organized to me and as long as you know the postulates, theorems and definitions then they are easy.

Another thing that I liked about this week were my grades. They improved by an average of 5 points, which is really exciting for me!! :D I got a 90% on my last quiz, which I am also proud of and so were my parents.

On monday we have our third binder quiz, which I believe I have prepared really well for. Hopefully it will only improve my grade, unlike the last two binder quizzes. The only thing I'm worried about it the time restraints.

Overall this week was especially good in geometry. I am really excited for Thanksgiving, one of my favorite holidays because I love eating, and I can't wait for a two day week.

Until next time,

Abby

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 01:22 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

So far, this week seems to be all about angles. We are learning about "Properties of Parallel Lines" and "Proving Lines Parallel", which both obviously have to do with angles. By looking at the next few units in this chapter I can tell that "Polygon Angle-Sum Theorem" and " Parallel Lines and the Triangle Angle-Sum Theorem will continue this trend of working with angles. I guess angles are a good thing though, because I personally enjoy working with them, especially compared to the algebra I'm also doing.

The latest tech assignment that we did in geometry is one that I'm really proud of. I got an A+, which is really good, obviously. So that was one thing I was proud of this week. One thing that I should probably work on are the binder quizzes. I always think that I am well prepared, but, obviously I'm not doing as well as I would like to be in those quizzes. I am going into Mrs. J's room tomorrow during lunch, to hopefully learn what is wrong with my BINDER!!!

Overall my week has been generally good. The quarter is closing (maybe already closed) and I am feeling really good in almost all of my subjects. Hopefully by next quarter the one grade I need to push up is up and my grades improve even more. I hope that everyone else's quarters have been successful as they would have liked. I'll be back next week!

Abby

After searching for a while on the internet. I have decided that this is probably the best website when searching for information on angle pairs. This link explores the five different angle pairs and has links to each angle pair where you can learn a lot about them. The website is as following.

[LINK]

My favorite angle pair would probably be the linear angle pair. I like this pair best for two reasons. First of all this angle pair deals with lines, lines which are obviously 180*, and that's a constant. This is unlike adjacent angles which could be equal to any measure less than 180*. Second of all, the meaning of it is easy to remember, which is a very good thing, considering that I do not have the best memory. The name of my angle pair, "linear" contains the word "line". Now obviously any given line equals 180 degrees, which hints at the fact that linear angles always equal 180*. And another way to remember that a linear line is adjacent is that we know that any point off a line creates a line connecting to that line, which in turn creates two supplementary angles. Together they are called a linear angle pair.

I think that angle pairs can be fun to work with because as long as you can remember what the different angle pairs are defined by than there are many different things that can be done with these angle pairs. Have fun working with angle pairs=http://!

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 12:52 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 35

A construction is a geometric figure where you use a straightedge and a compass to draw that figure. Many basic constructions involve congruent segments, congruent angles, and bisectors of segments and angles. Constructions are necessary for geometry and they help us understand the basis of geometry.

I find that the perpendicular bisector is the best/funnest to make. I find it to be the best because it makes it easier to create a right angle and it also gives you two equal sides to a line segment.

In order to create a perpendicular bisector you need to start with a line segment. (ex. line ab) Put your compass on point a and extend it past halfway. Then create and arc that extends to above and below point a. Then do the same thing to point b. The two points that this creates, you can label, point x and y. Connect point x and y so that they bisect line ab. This should give you four right angles which you can mark with a square in one of the angles and you can label the two equal sides of line segment ab with two lines.