Copyright (c) 2014 by Zach G Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Zach G -- Blogmeister

Zack's Blogmetry-

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

by Zach G teacher: Tina Jovanovich

Article posted June 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 87

Ch 7 is on areas of polygons. I will be walking you through how to find the area of a trapezoid. To find the area of a trapezoid, the formula is Area=1/2(height)(base1+base2). So you will need to find the height and the length of both bases. So if one base was 6cm, the other 8cm, and the height 4cm, you would set up your equation like this: Area=1/2(4cm)(6cm+8cm)-->Area=2cm(14cm)-->Area=28cm squared. That is your answer.

Stay classy bloggers.

Article posted June 10, 2012 at 10:32 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 232

For Ch 12, the work was on transformations. The review question will be for rotations. The question as what is the point of rotation, and what is the angle of rotation. When given a pre-image and an image, to find the point of rotation, it will either be where the two images intersect or a point not connected to either image. Then to find the angle of rotation, you will need a protractor. Put your protractor on the point of rotation and pick a point you want to measure from. You always measure from the pre-image and counterclockwise unless stated to go clockwise. After you pick the point, find the point on the image that is the same, and measure. That will give you the angle of rotation

Stay classy bloggers.

Article posted May 29, 2012 at 06:15 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 38

If I were to say to you Soh-Cah-Toa, what do you think that would mean?

It is actually used in trigonometry. Soh stands for sine=opposite side over the hypotenuse. That is the ratio for sine. Cah stands for cosine=adjacent side over the hypotenuse, which is also the ratio for cosine. And lastly, Toa stands for tangent= opposite side over the adjacent side. That is the ratio for tangent. Soh-Cah-Toa is used so people like me can think of it and remember the ratios quickly without needing to check my binder.

That is what we are learning geometry right now. Have a great short week everyone. Stay classy bloggers.

Article posted May 20, 2012 at 05:33 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

Hello everyone.

How has your week been? My week has been hectic and busy. It has been a very long week for me. I have had 3 quizzes and 2 tests. Also, I have had 2 big projects this week as well. That is a lot of grades going into the grade book.

So onto geometry. We just took geometry test on area theorems. My favorite area theorem is the parallelogram are theorem. A=bh. They can be easy, but also can be difficult. If the parallelogram is not a rectangle and you don't have the height, they become harder. It is my favorite because they are easy and fun.

Thank you for tuning in. Talk to you next week blogmeisters.

Article posted May 6, 2012 at 09:17 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

This week in geometry we learned about the Pythagorean theorem. One would use the Pythagorean theorem to find the lengths of the sides of a right triangle. The formula is: leg1 squared + leg2 squared = hypotenuse squared. The hypotenuse is the side opposite the right angle. There are two special triangles when using the Pythagorean theorem. There is the 45 degree-45 degree right triangle, and there is the 30 degree-60 degree right triangle. In the 45-45 right triangle, the hypotenuse = the leg times root 2. In the 30-60 right triangle, the hypotenuse = the short leg times 2, and the long leg = the short leg times root three.

Well have a great week bloggers, stay classy.

Article posted April 29, 2012 at 02:59 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 50

In geometry class right now, we did a little homework on radicals. Radicals deal with square roots and the simplifying of them. When dealing with radicals, it is a very good idea to know all the square roots to at least 20. If you ever forget them, you can look back on here.

The square root of 1 = 1

The square root of 4 = 2

The square root of 9 = 3

The square root of 16 = 4

The square root of 25 = 5

The square root of 36 = 6

The square root of 49 = 7

The square root of 64 = 8

The square root of 81 = 9

The square root of 100 = 10

The square root of 121 = 11

The square root of 144 = 12

The square root of 169 = 13

The square root of 196 = 14

The square root of 225 = 15

The square root of 256 = 16

The square root of 289 = 17

The square root of 324 = 18

The square root of 361 = 19

The square root of 400 = 20

That is all the square roots to 20. Have a great week. Stay classy bloggers!

Article posted April 22, 2012 at 05:57 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 40

I hope everyone's vacations have been a blast! Mine has been fun. I played a lot of sports. I played a lot of tennis in DC, basketball on Thursday, golf on Friday and Saturday, then soccer today. We had a great soccer game today even though it ended in a 0-0 tie.

In geometry, we are continuing to practice our skills with translations. The four translations are rotations, dilations, translations, and reflections. My favorite transformation is translation because I can do them quickly. My least favorite transformation is rotations because they are the most time consuming and I like problems that are quite quick to answer. I do find that all of the transformations come easily to me, as I hope they do for everyone else.

Have a great week. Until next time, stay classy bloggers!

Article posted April 8, 2012 at 08:57 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 48

Happy Easter everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful, chocolate filled Sunday! My family usually goes to our cousin's house for a get together, but it was called off this year. Instead, we went out to brunch in Exeter with my grandparents. It was nice. It was at the Exeter Inn.

I have found ease with the transformations given to our class so far. I don't find them too hard to create. We have done translations, reflections, and dilations so far. We still have rotations to learn, and I believe we are learning those tomorrow in class. My favorite translation to this point would have to be reflections. Reflections create an image that mirrors the pre-image using the line of reflection. I just find them the most fun to do.

3/4 of the year done, 1/4 to go! Check in next week. Be courteuos my bloggers. Until next week...

Article posted March 30, 2012 at 08:05 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 44

My geometry class took an end of the quarter test that is very important to everyone. The people that need those couple of points to get their final grade where they want it and the ones right on the edge of a grade they want, like me, are all hoping they did very well on this last test. I did infact feel really good after taking this test. I feel that I am going to raise my grade a little after this test, I hope. I hope everyone gets the grade they want!

On to quarter 4. Check back in next week. Stay classy bloggers.

Article posted March 25, 2012 at 08:40 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

This past week has been amazing. The weather mostly in the high 70's, low 80's, and it's only March! This week, unfortunately, is supposed to cool down to around the 40's. Come on March! We were on a roll.

The grades for our school close on this coming Friday for the quarter. Now is the time to make sure you get great grades on this week's homework, quizes, or tests. I believe that were are having another grade going into this quarter for geometry. That can be the make or break of some students grade. I have got to make sure that I get a good grade on it.

Well I will keep you all updated. Stop by next week!

Article posted March 18, 2012 at 08:17 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

It's time to put down the roof on your convertable and put on your sunglasses because the weather has officially reached 80 degrees. This is my favorite weather; forget about winter weather.

To keep you updated, we are now talking about all the types of quadrilaterals and their characteristics. The quadrilaterals are as following: square, rectangle, rhombus, kite, trapezoid, and isosceles trapezoid. The square, rectangle, and rhombus all fall under the category of a parallelogram.

Did you know that a square is not really its own shape? It is actually a special shape designed by the combination of characteristics from a rectangle and a rhombus. The definition of a square is that all sides are congruent (rhombus) and all angles are congruent (rectangle).

Soak up the nice weather this week and check back soon for an update!

Article posted March 7, 2012 at 09:03 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

I feel bad for our teachers. They have to go to meetings on Friday. However, the students have no school! I am excited for this 3 day weekend. It has been well deserved seeing how we just had a geometry test. It was on concurrent points of triangles, certain lines in triangles, a coordinate proof, and an indirect proof. There was extra credit and I got half of it. I forgot that the line in which the linear concurrent points lay on. I guessed "the awesome line." As you could guess I was wrong. The correct answer was the Euler line.

Well I hope everyone has a great rest of the week and weekend. Stay tooned until next week.

Article posted February 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 40

Hey blogsters,

We are now learning about indirect proofs in geometry class. I think that indirect proofs are going to be harder to me because there are a lot more steps to follow. I am also not as good with paragraph proofs. The proof that still comes easiest to me is flow proofs. I like seeing my work when proving, and a flow proof is that. An indirect proof uses a paragraph conclusion.

Well I hope everyone has a great February vacation! Make the best of it!

Article posted February 12, 2012 at 02:45 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 139

Good evening fellow blogmeisters,

I am very upset because the basketball season is over. It makes it a little better that we had an undefeated season.

We are learning about the point of concurrency in triangles. There is a great acronym for concurrency points.

M-edian C-entroid

A-ltitude O-rthocenter

P-erpendicular Bisector C-ircumcenter

A-ngle Bisector I-ncenter

There is a great acronym for you to use whenever you need to think of the concurrency points.

Until the next time.

Article posted February 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

Well, the Patriots did not play up to par. As everyone probably knows, they lost.

Our blog assignment was not actually to blog, but it was to check out our classmates scratch programs they liked and leave a comment. I thought I wuld leave a little blog to keep my followers up to date.

Check in next week. Have a fantastic week everyone!

Article posted January 29, 2012 at 05:10 PM GMT-5 • comment (6) • Reads 69

Our assignment was to take a look at a couple of Scratch programs. We are going to be doing a tessellation program using Scratch, so our teacher wants to check some out. Here is one that I found and liked. It is a interactive basketball shooting program. I like it because basketball is my favorite sport.

Here is the link to the Scratch program that I found interesting.

[LINK]

Article posted January 12, 2012 at 10:26 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 43

We just took our final test of quarter 2. I really wanted to get a good grade on it. I am feeling really confident I did very well on it. The only thing I wasn't too confident on was my flow proof because I thought I used steps that might not work. After the test, I asked my teacher if you could use the certain steps that I used. She said yes, and I was physced.

Next up, MIDTERMS!

Article posted January 7, 2012 at 02:17 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 36

I feel like I did an excellent job on that flow proof quiz we just took. I really think I got good handle on how to do flow proofs. It was weird. At one point, it just clicked, and I realized that I could do them well.

Well I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Check in next week!

Article posted December 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

Midterms are coming up soon. That means there will be a lot of cramming information into your brain. The way that I cram information into my brain is by studying all of the tests and quizes that we have taken over the first two quarters. I will also do a couple problems from each section to review if I know what I am doing. If I don't know how to do some problems, I will look back on my homework. I will then try again until I get it right and know how to do it.

I will be back posting after our holiday break. Check back in then!

Article posted December 19, 2011 at 07:20 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 42

Thank you Ms. J! I am happy that you did not assign any homework. It was one less thing I had to worry about. I was working to hard on the golf project, so I guess you can say that you did have homework.

Was it just me, or did anyone else think that weekend felt long? Anyways, it is over now. Time to get back to school.

Article posted December 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 45

We are having a chapter 3 test tomorrow in geometry. I feel as if I am going to forget how to do a certain problem on the test, but on the other hand, I feel like I know the material. I always have qualms when thinking about tests. Qualm is one of our english vocabulary words. It means a mental feeling of uneasiness. If only Ms. Meserve could see this and give me extra credit on the vocabulary test. I wish!

Well that is all for today. Wish me luck followers!

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 08:15 AM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 40

Hello bloggers,

I am sorry that this blog has been posted late.

Right now in geometry we are learning about polygons and the sums of their angles. My favorite part of math is figuiring out the measures of unknown variables. We are doing that right now in math, and I am very happy. I wish we could just stay on this topic the whole year.

How does that sound Mrs. J? Does that sound like a good idea?

Article posted November 27, 2011 at 01:15 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 41

Finally! My favorite sport has started! Basketball! We had three tryouts. They were held on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. We figured out who was on the team Wednesday. Congratulations to everyone that made it and to the ones that tried out and just barely didn't make it, great job.

Monday and Tuesday were taken up by school and basketball tryouts. Wednesday was the last day for basketball tryouts and then I helped with the prep for Thanksgiving. Then Thursday was obviously Thanksgiving. It was a very tasty day. Even though I was full, I kept eating. I couldn't stop. My favorite part of Thanksgiving is always the chocolate pudding pie. I always have a lot of pie. Friday was our first day of practice for basketball. Then I went to my friend's older sister's birthday. Saturday was another day of practice and then the other half was a hangout time. Today is a homework day and also a da to get ready for tomorrow.

That was my vacation. Hope everyone had a great vacation!

Article posted November 20, 2011 at 07:43 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 37

I know that everyone is really happy that there is a two day week, as am I, but we all need to remember that there are still important things that are going on in our classes during these two days. Teachers are going to still have important work for you to do. For example: There is a binder quiz tomorrow in geometry. I can't put that aside and think about a delicious Thanksgiving dinner that is coming up soon. I need to be focused and ready for it. I would like a little more time on them, but I know the point of them is for you to stay organized so you can find things quickly. Wish me luck!

Article posted November 13, 2011 at 09:46 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 40

Hello everyone:

The three day weekend was good and bad. It is good to be able to get one more days rest and hang out with your friends. I have had a good Friday and weekend, but it could have been a little more exciting. The only bad part about the three day weekend is that Friday was supposed to be a white day. That would have meant that there would be three days of geometry instead of the two days of it that we now have.

We have begun to do a weekly blog entry so come on back to my blog every week and read what is going on.

Article posted October 27, 2011 at 09:11 PM GMT-5 • comment • Reads 39

This is a great webisite to go cheack out if you have any questions about angle pairs or want a good worksheet to give to your students. [LINK]

My favorite angle pair is the vertical angle pair. They are my favorite because I enjoy solving them. I like the process of figuring out the variables to find the angle measures.

A good way to determine if indeed the angles are a vertical angle pair, look to see if there are two straight lines that intersect at one point. If there are two lines that are straight and intersect, you now have two pairs of vertical angles. The opposite angles are the vertical angle pair.

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 09:24 AM GMT-5 • comment (1) • Reads 37

Constructions are ways to draw certain figures you would need to build something. You use a math compass and a straight edge to create these constructions. The Greeks used constructions because they didn't have any measurements. I personally like the bisecting an angle construction because it has the most work in it. I like doing the steps because they are fun to me. To bisect an angle, you need to start by copying the angle. You do that by starting with the bottom ray of the angle. Take your compass and put the point on the vertex. Then draw an arc inside of the angle you are copying. Without moving your compass distance, draw the same arc with your compass on your ray with your point on the vertex. Then find the two points on which your rays intersect with your arc and get the distance with your compass. Put your point on where the arc meets your line segment. Draw another arc intersecting your first arc and draw a line through the intersection of the two arcs. When you have copied the angle, put your point on each of the points and draw an arc over halfway between the angle. Where they intersect is the bisector. Draw your line through it and you have successfully bisected an angle.