Jackson's Blog

This blog is for Miss Jovanovich's algebra and geometry classes to share ideas, ask questions, and reflect on what skills and topics we are studying. If we are lucky, we might even get a chance to connect with other students studying the same stuff.

teacher: Tina Jovanovich

6/10 blog 06/07/12
6/3 blog 06/07/12
5/27 Blog 05/30/12
5/20 Blog 05/30/12
5/13/12 Blog 05/12/12
April break blog 05/12/12
Blog 5/6 05/06/12
4/27 Blog 05/06/12
4/8/12 blog 04/08/12
Tech 19 04/03/12
Tech 18 03/26/12
Tech 03/26/12
Tech 15 03/18/12
Tech 16 03/13/12
Tech 15 03/13/12
Tech 14 03/13/12
Tech 13 02/06/12
Tech 12 01/29/12
Tech 12 01/22/12
Tech 11 01/19/12
Tech 11 01/08/12
Tech 10 12/23/11
Tech 9 12/23/11
Tech 8 12/11/11
Tech 7 12/11/11
Tech 6 11/27/11
Tech 5 11/27/11
Tech 4 11/27/11
Linear Pairs 10/28/11
Construtions 10/16/11

I am blogging on a thursday for probably the first time, it seems wierd. I am getting ready to do my geometry homework. I am also going to watch the Miami Heat vs the Boston Celtics later, it is must win game for the Heat. The problem that I am going to work on in this blog is # 17 from the green version of test # 7. It asks you find the area of a deck that surrounds a hot tub if the hot tub has a diameter of 6 meters and the deck is 2 meters wide. When I took the test I knew how to do the problem but I just had a brain cramp and screwed up the final answer. The way to figure out this problem is to find the area of the hot tub and then subtract that from the area of the deck. The only formula that you need to use on this problem is a=pie(r) squared. The first thing to do is sub the number 3 into that formula and you end up with 9 pie. You then plug the number 5 into that formula because 6+ 2+2 equals 10 as a diameter and half of that equals 5. When plugging that into the equation you end up with 25 pie. The problem that I made on the test was that I forgot to subtract 9 pie from 25 pie so that is the last step in this problem. Your final answer should be 16 pie.

On Sunday I watched a lot of TV because of all the crappy weather that we had. The best thing I watched was the golf touroment where Tiger Woods hit an unbelievable shot to clinch the victory. The problem I am working on for this blog is # 12 from the green version on test # 7. It asks for you to find the area of a parallelogram that has sides of 8 and 6. On the test, I got the problem wrong because I didn't know the area formula for parallelograms but when I went back and re-did the problem while studying for the retake I realized that I had to find the height by making a 45-45-90 triangle because the formula is a=bh. I found that the height was 3 root 2 and 8 time 3 root 2 is 24 root 2.

This weekend I watched the Miami Heat obliterate the Indiana Pacers after a six game series. They finally got their act together and kicked butt. At work, I got the range cart stuck when I was picking up balls. Luckily I got it unstuck pretty quickly. When I hear SOH CAH TOA I now think of Sine, Cosine, and Tangent but before I knew what those were I would have thought that it was some native language. SOH CAH TOA helps me so much when remembering which one to use.

I started work this weekend, I am working at the golf course doing anything they need really. Whatever they need done I will d for them. I also watched the Red Sox and Heat this weekend. My favorite area formula is the Circle Area because it just clicks with me for some reason and I can remember it so well. Whenever I hear pie r squared I immediately think circle.

I am a little disappointed in myself that I only scored a 78 on my quest but I feel like I know the information well for the final. The area's of polygon's is a little confusing for me right now but I will keep working hard to learn the information better. I am currently working on my scratch project. I had baseball practice earlier this morning and I just played some basketball outside.

Over April break I played golf a lot. I played 18 or more holes for the first 6 days of break, it was great. I had a great break and I am not really looking forward to going back to school.

I have done homework all day long! Since i missed 4 days of school i have had a lot of make up work to do and i got fully caught up today. I took the quest on Friday and feel pretty confident that i did well on it. I am currently watching the red sox, they are down two to zero. What is new?The Miami Heat play at 3:30 in game 4 of their first playoff series and i am planning on watching that in a while.

I have been sick since Thursday and was absent the day of the quest. i will have to make that up very soon. I am quite confident in myself that I will do well on the quest. I have been stuck in bed for four days and am getting ready to watch the Heat.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 02:10 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

I just watched the red sox blow a three run lead in the ninth inning and then they went on to lose in 11 innings. In their first three games this season they have been pathetic! After that game ended I changed the channel to the masters and watched a great finish. Bubba Watson had a great shot out of the woods on the second playoff hole to win. I am disappointed that Tiger wasn't in contention on Sunday but it was still a great day of golf. The game of golf is at its best when Tiger is the world number one! I did the geometry homework and I am pretty confident with this stuff because we have done a lot of it in Algebra 2 earlier this year.

I finally got to go golfing!! Yes!!! I just got home from The Links At Outlook in South Berwick. I am so excited that golf season is finally here. Cape Neddick opens up next Friday and luckily we have no school. Just before I went golfing I looked at PowerSchool and saw that I got an 85 on the test which made me happy. I have no idea what the next topic will be in geometry. Only one quarter of school left!!!!

I justed watched the Oklhoma City Thunder beat the Miami Heat, too bad. The Heat still have the second best record in the NBA. With the playoffs approaching they are still the haleavy favorite to win the finals. I have yet to do the geometry homework that is due on Tuesday. I will do that tonight. I did a lot of homework this weekend. I probably did 4 hours worth of homework and studying and Sunday. I am understanding the quadrilaterals so far but I am little nervous for the test on Friday because this is a lot of information to learn in 2 weeks and then get tested on.

This is really blog number 11. It is really late but I hope I can still get some credit for it!! I forget what we were doing in geometry during the time this blog was supposed to be passed in!! I think we were right near mid-terms, so I'll talk about that. I studied for the geometry midterm for about 2 and a half hours. I got an 83 on it believe. I was very happy with that grade because it was about one point higher than my semester grade had been.

Article posted March 19, 2012 at 02:05 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

I did my geometry homework about 5 hours ago now and I found it pretty easy. I have always had an interest in quadrilaterals and I am glad that we are working with them now that we are done with triangles, for now at least. I am interested to see what I got for a grade on my lines in triangle poster, I feel like I did pretty well on it, but we'll see. I judged watched the Miami Heat beat the Orlando Magic 91-81 and I am now watching March Madness. Some of my brackets are doing pretty well online so all I need now is a little luck to b one of the leaders in the nation.

This week in Geometry is the week that our posters are due. I feel like I did a good job on mine. I worked on it yesterday and this morning. I thought that most of it was pretty easy except for the last part of the directions. The NBA all- star game is on tonight and I am looking forward to watching that. Go Heattles!!

This past week in Geometry we have continued to work with lines in triangle and I am really liking it because when we have to write the slopes for the lines we are using algebra and I really enjoy doing that. We also had a project assigned this week working with lines in triangles. I have not yet started on the poster but it sounds like it will somewhat fun. I have a pretty good idea of what I need to do for it.

I just watched the Miami Heat wreck the Orlando Magic. The heat are dominating this season, they have the best record in the NBA and are hopefully going to win the NBA title. IN Geometry we are stilling working with Triangles and we have introduced lines in triangles. I am finding them interesting so far and I am liking them so far.

I just watched the Patriots lose to the New York Giants. It was a great game. I wish the Pat's came out on top but we had a very good team. We are working with lines in triangles for the past few weeks. It is one of the better things that we have done this year in my eyes. After checking out Jack's blog I looked at the game with the Queen and the castle and I also liked how you could control the characters but Jack was right, it was a very cheesy game!!!

Article posted January 29, 2012 at 07:16 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 35

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/atomic7732/666235

This past week of school was the first week back since midterms. I did pretty well on my midterms. I am going to watch the Heat play the Bulls in a little while. Go Heat!! Above is my link to a Scratch project that I thought was cool. I liked how you couldn't hit the rocks. I thought it was fun. I am looking forward to making a project!

Article posted January 23, 2012 at 01:59 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

I just washed the Patriots squeak a win out versus the Ravens!! With that win we are going to the Super Bowl!! I had midterms this past week and I think I did pretty well on them. I have seen a couple of grades on PowerSchool and they are pretty good so far. I don't know what we are doing in geometry this week but I look forward to getting back into the swing of things, not midterms.

I just watche stage patriots destroy the broncos. I also studied for midterms a little today. I am going to spend a lot of tomorrow studying for them. I am most concerned about geometry and German. I did very well with midterms and finals last year and I hope to continue that trend This year.

Article posted January 9, 2012 at 01:51 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

This past week in school it was a little tough to get back into the swing of things because it was he first week after break. We are continuing to work with triangle in geometry. I am enjoying that more than other things we have done this year. We took a quiz this week and I think I did pretty good on it but we'll see when I get the quiz back. I just watched the broncos beat the steelers and am looking forward to watching the patriots next saturday!! Go pats!!

This past week in geometry Liam and I have been working on our mini-golf project. Our theme was Golf within Golf. We used real things that you would use and see on a real golf course on our project. I enjoyed this project, it was my favorite project of sophomore year. I am looking forward to Christmas and getting a break from school. As always I am going to watch the patriots this Saturday, hopefully they will kick butt. The NBA season kicks off on Christmas and I will defiantly be watching my Miami Heat kick some butt against the Mavericks.

This week we are finishing up with polygons and taking a teat for the chapter. I am feeling okay with the information but i still need a little help with the proofs. I just watched the patriots destroy the bronco's, Apparently it wasn't Tebow Time. My favorite postulate is the Corresponding Angle Postulate, I don't know why I like it but it is my favorite. GO PAT's.

This past week in geometry we have been working more on polygons which I am enjoying and are getting ready for the test on Monday. I am feeling pretty confident with the test that we are taking. I just watched the Patriots get very lucky against the Redskins and am studying for the test. My favorite postulate is the Corresponding Angle Postulate, I don't know why I like it but it is my favorite. GO PAT's.

This week in Geometry we have been working more on proofs and have started to do things with polygons which is probably my favorite thing we have done so far. It has been a little tough to get back into the swing of things after Thanksgiving Break.

This past week was Thanksgiving break. I had school on Monday and Tuesday and saw that I got an 83 on my geometry quiz which I am okay with seeing that i am still getting use to proofs as a whole. On Thanksgiving I only had to drive about 30 seconds to my uncles house where we had all kinds of food. I enjoyed the turkey, bread, and most of all watching football.

This was my first week back from Florida. The weather hasn't been to bad and the workload isn't bad either. This week in geometry we have been working more on proofs and i am starting to understand them better. We took a quiz over the proofs and i feel like I did okay on it and i am interested to my grade. I am also looking forward to Thanksgiving.

I was on vacation for the past 11 days and I had a great time. I went in the pool a lot and play six rounds of golf. We saw lots of alligators on the golf course and luckily no snakes. While i was there I did have to do some school work. I worked on some geometry homework which I thought was very difficult. I had a hard time understanding the proofs. I hope to come in on Monday and get help from Ms. J.

http://www.icoachmath.com/math_dictionary/Linear_Pair.html

My favorite linear pair are the Supplementary angles. I like them the best because I like how they add up to 180 degrees and how you can have multiple supplementary angles in one diagram. I think that a good strategy to remember supplementary angles is any two adjacent angles that add up to 180 degrees.

A construction is when you use a straightedge and a compass to draw a geometric figure. When you are making constructions you are copying line segments, or angles, bisecting angles, or perpendicularly bisecting segments. My favorite construction is the angle bisector. I like that construction because I think it is cool how you can exactly copy an angle without using a protractor.

How to construct an angle bisector?:

Step 1: Draw an angle using your protractor on a sheet of paper and label it angle A.

Step 2: Put the compass on the vertex and draw an arc that intersects both rays of the angle. Label those points B and C.

Step 3: Using the same compass setting draw and with the compass on point C that is in between the two rays of the angle. Do the same thing at point C. Label the point where the two arc's intersect and label that point as point D.

Step 4: Draw a ray from point A to point D. Ray A-D is the bisector of angle A.

Step 5: Use your protractor to check your work.