wjhe

Rainy Roadkill

By WJHE

Do you think rain effects roadkill? The answer is yes. My hypothesis was that there would be more roadkill when its raining outside than when it is a nice day. I thought this because slippery roads, seeing things crossing the road, and people rushing home. All of these examples add up to more roadkill.

My hypothesis was correct. There was almost roadkill everyday it was raining. When it was not raining, more than half the time there was no roadkill. The reason why I think there is more roadkill when it is raining than when it is a nice day is because the roads are slippery and a car could easily slide and hit an animal which causes roadkill. Also, if it is raining very hard, sometimes people can't see well out of the wind shield and can't see an animal crossing by. Another reason why I think there is more roadkill when it is raining out is because when people are in a car, and it is raining, people want to get home so they usually go faster which causes a person to hit an animal.

Other variables to consider is windshield wipers on a car. That is a big thing because without windshield wipers, people will not be able to see out of the car, causing the car to hit an animal. Another variable to consider is headlights. Without them people could not see as far, therefore giving them less time

to react before the animal is hit.

Next year and the years ahead are hard to predict because there might be less or more rain. A more interesting variable I would choose is snow. This year we were very lucky and only had a couple days of snow. I am predicting that next year, there will be much more snow. When there is snow, I believe that roadkill decreases because a lot less people are driving cars. Another variable that I would choose is gas prices. I think there will be higher prices on gas next year which will cause less roadkill because many people don't want to wast gas because of the prices, therefor, less people will be on the roads.

In social study's class we worked on a Roman Gladiator journal explaining the gladiators everyday life and the colosseum. We saw how the gladiators lived and died.

Journal Excerpt

Day 1

I arrived in Rome yesterday from Washington DC to conduct research for my PhD in Roman History from Georgetown University. Through interviews with local historians and by visiting many colosseums, my plan is to get a real sense of the way Roman gladiators lived and the way they died. Today, on this first day, a sunny day, I checked into my hotel, the Grand Hotel de la Minerve. This is a luxury hotel that looks out over the Pantheon, but I was able to afford it due to the scholarship I received for academic excellence. After taking a bath, I went out to explore Rome and get my bearings and my sense of direction. Now I know that the River Tiber is south of my hotel, Vatican City is northwest, the Pantheon is north, and the Colosseum is southeast. Whenever I travel, it’s always important to me to have landmarks; this way, it’s unlikely that I’ll get lost.

After long walks throughout the day, I found a perfect restaurant for dinner, La Taberna, where I ate a big meal consisting of Fettuccine, Ossobuco, and finally a coffee Gelato. I sat for a while in the quant restaurant sipping a Gamla Chardonnay and planned my next day’s research. I knew my goal was to visit the Amphitheatre and see the places within its huge structure where tourists didn’t usually go. My goal was to find something remarkable about Roman gladiators htat I could share with the world.

Day 2

While searching the beautiful Amphitheatre, I came across a doorway that led me to another secret path that led me to another deeper and darker path that then led me to a small room tucked away in the rubble and debris. In this room lay many rocks and chipped pottery. Between two rocks, I noticed pieces of papyrus sticking out. After clearing away the rocks, I discovered an old and worn down journal. I could tell it was very, very old. Barely seeing in the darkness of the room, I read the date: 53 B.C.E.

Dear Mom and Dad,

In math class these past months, we have been learning many different topics from module 1. I have been learning about analyzing graphs, the difference between bar and line graphs, frequency tables, exponents, order of operations, probability, and a little problem solving. As you can see, math class was full of information.

To learn all these different topics, we did projects, worksheets, and quiz’s. My favorites project that we did was on theoretical and experimental probability. To show the information, we put it in a frequency table. All of us had partners. My partner and I did our experiment on blow pops. We put all the different types of blow pops in a bag and picked one 90 times. Not only was the project exciting and fun, it taught the class about probability.

My favorite topic was order of operations. Also known as Pemdas. Pemdas stands for parenthesis, exponents, multiplication, division, addition, and subtracting. That is the order of what you should do first in a math problem. It was my favorite topic because I picked it up pretty quickly and understood perfectly about what I was doing.

The hardest topic for me to understand was experimental and theoretical probability. It took me until the project to understand the difference. I remember when I did the theoretical probability when it asked for the experimental on a work sheet without even knowing. Now I know that one is the most likely and the other is the real experiment information. Now that I know what the difference between them is, I love the topic.

As you can see, there were many topics in this unit that I loved. After reading this you know what order of operations are and what pemdas stands for, the difference between experimental and theoretical probability is, and last but not least, my favorite topic and the topic that was hardest for me. For our next unit in math class, we will be learning about problem solving. I am very excited for that!

Love Your daughter

We are beginning a new year and are learning about the eye in science. We are waiting for our new language arts teacher.