Copyright (c) 2014 by DJGA Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
DJGA -- Blogmeister

DJGA

Class of 2012-2013

by DJGA

teacher: Rye 8th Team

Title: Digging into Trash and the Environment (05/04/10)
Description: Students had an opportunity to investigate the impacts of trash in our environment. We concluded the experience by participating in a live webcast on Earth Day, called Earthcast10 (http://earthbridges.net) We also tied in our chemistry unit with our school's garden.

On Earth Day every year there is something called Earthcast. This year we got to participate in Earthcast10. Each class in our grade had 15 minutes to talk about Earth Day and explain different activities that you can do to help. There was one day when from 8-9 you would shut off all the lights in your house and that would help save energy for the whole U.S plus more people.

During our studies of trash and its disposal, we had an assembly where we separated trash from the lunch room that had been collected over two days. Before our garbage was separated, we had a total of 87.5 pounds of trash. After taking this information, everyone got a chance to separate the trash into three categories, recyclables, compostables, and true trash. After a while we had all of our trash sorted, and we were amazed to find that most of our trash was actually compostable, and only 25 pounds of our original trash actually had to be thrown away. I think that many people enjoyed this assembly because it was straight forward, only telling us about true facts, and how we could reduce our waste. The leaders did not attempt to get us to believe their own opinions, and they simply focused on what we could do to help the environment by getting rid of our trash. We were shown the consequences of not littering, such as how animals our dieing after eating our trash. Now, my entire grade has an education about our waste and we can prevent future waste.

In school we have been having people come into school to teach us about trash and where it goes after we throw it away. We had to watch numerous videos as part of this unit. One specific video that we watched from the internet was The Story of Stuff. I think that you should definitely watch this video, in order to see all of the controversial information being shown to junior high schoolers. According to this video humans are a selfish species that are centered around buying, using, and throwing away. We were led to believe that as Americans specifically we use up other countries resources, destroying their land, just so that we can be happy. In this video we were shown a sketch of a dead world, and told that it was all our fault. I found that this video was completely twisted and false for many reasons. For example of one of the changed facts, we were told that we have destroyed 96% of our original forests. This is fake because we were not told anything about how most businesses who use resources, in this case trees, replenish this resource, by planting more trees. Also, this film was supposed to be about our waste, but when the speaker started showing us cartoons of a tiny government official shining the shoes of an oversized business man it seemed completely off topic and untruthful. We were also told by the speaker that she almost used a tank to symbolized the American government, and she went on to describe how taxes were going toward war efforts. These “points” that she seemed to be slipping in were one sided, off topic, suggestions that were completely unnecessary and should not have been brought up. I have a huge problem with the fact that we are being taught these twisted opinions in school. Many kids believe everything they are taught in school, because after all isn't that the place where people are educated? So when somebody comes in and brainwashes the kids in order to get them to believe their slanted side of this story, its indoctrination and it should not be allowed. At least if you are going to tell children to believe someone's story it is important to show people the other side of this story.

Over the past four days, we have had a unit on going green, throwing away less trash, buying less stuff, and support a certain view's way of thinking. There are three videos we have watched: The Story of Stuff, Trashed, and Consuming. I should start of with this first video, The Story of Stuff. This video is centered around how we are depleting the Earth's resources at an extremely high rate just to make more stuff. This video also shows that the main focus of blame is on the government, and they frequently off-topic criticize the Bush administration. This video also throws large and very scary looking numbers into the air, and almost all of them are either spun and misconceived, or blatantly false. I should probably give some examples, then shouldn't I? First off, they state that we are destroying our resources in two major ways. We have cut down 95% or more of all our trees, and 90% or more of our water is undrinkable. Both of these statements are just purely false. The video states where it got the info, but the sources and the info itself doesn't add up. The source states that roughly 95% of our forests have been logged, not destroyed, but logged. This is also since we came here, in the 1600's. Just because you log a forest, doesn't mean it will never grow back ever again, and usually it is just the exact opposite. The other source states that roughly 90% of our waterways, not water, but waterways are undrinkable, unswimmable, OR unfishable. Note that we have actually IMPROVED this as we have become more advanced. As far as criticism of the government, at one point they say that government should be symbolized by a tank, because over 50% of our taxes go to military. There was no source that stated this, and it is semi-common knowledge among taxpayers that most taxes go toward medicare and social security. Also, there is a point where this video says that after 9/11, Bush told us to shop, and not pray. This is utterly false. Not only did Bush ask us to pray, he stated that we should go back to our normal lives. Now isn't that a little bit anti-republican? I will end this paragraph stating that these people thought that there were more unions and company organizations than government organizations in the U.S. This is irrelevant because unions and company organizations have absolutely NO power or influence in U.S. Government. Besides the irrelevant, stupid, and untrue comments made in this video, the actual point of it is to portray us Americans as fat, uncaring, stupid Americans with only one purpose: to shop. This common idea plays on so many stereotypes, it is the equivalent of saying that all Hawaiians wear flowers, coconuts, and leaves for clothes, or all Chinese wear robes, are bald, and spend their whole day in a temple. This is so untrue, and shows us in such a negative light that it is kind of telling you 'we must change, you must change'

The second video we watched centers around consuming children, and how ad companies are poisoning and brainwashing our children into buying buying buying, and how something must be done. First of all, in America the government cannot control companies or people, beyond making sure nothing illegal is going on. Any other form of control is communism. So when this video is stating that the government should learn and control companies to make sure they don't brainwash children. If the government starts to control businesses in one way, then that is the first step to a communist government, along with universal healthcare and one sided videos being shown to children. This video does show that there was once a movement that tried to ban advertisement to children due to its brainwashing effects, but it was revoked by the Reagan administration. Wow, two republican presidents blamed in two videos. Doesn't that seem like brainwashing, which these videos are against. Interesting. Here in America, the land of opportunity, it should be the companies' choice of how to do business, not someone else's. It is not the government or the advertiser's job to tell the child or parent what is an actually good product, that is the job of the educated parent. Taking away the rights of companies is standing against everything that this country lives for, and has lived for for almost 300 years, and taking away those rights, forcing companies into how they do business, and what is there business, is pure communism.

The third video we watched is called 'Trashed' and it centers around how we are throwing away too much, and of course global warning. The main example that is given is the Pacific Gyre. This is basically an area in the Pacific Ocean where there is supposedly a lot of trash. It is also stated that it is as big as two United States. First of all, is this the area in which there is trash to be found, not where there is always trash. This means that there are large gaps and areas where little or no trash can be found. But once again this video is being used to spin the truth into something much worse than it actually is. The second problem I have with this video is how they talk a lot about it being our fault, our responsibility. If they mean our as in America, then they are sadly mistaken because the main contributors to the gyre, and even trash itself, is the eastern countries. Now if they mean our as in us as a planet, then that is pure supporting of global nationalism (one world, one country, one government), another main idea of modern day communism that I talked about earlier. Three communist principles in three videos, interesting. There is one more principle that I would like to talk about, that played a major part in all three videos: Global Warming. Now what exactly is global warming? Most will tell you that it is the warming of the earth and thus the melting of glaciers, killing of polar bears, less snow, less earth, dirtier air, all by human cause. This is complete rubbish. Global warming is a term that was invented a couple years ago during the long streak of republican presidents, except for Bill Clinton. The Democrats hadn't had a good president that had done a lot in a while, so the yhad to figure out a way to get the next election going the way they wanted. They came up with the famous Al Gore, and global warming, and it being the worst thing that had ever happened. There were two purposes to this. The first was to scare people that we were going down the drain, and so was our planet, and the animals, and forests, and fish, and all that stuff. So once everyone is scared, and wondering what to do, here's where the magic comes in. Al Gore, or Obama, or a state representative or town selectman or whoever would say 'I can fix this'. And it works! Al Gore barely lost the presidential race, and Obama won! Do you remember when back when he was campaigning about how Obama talked about helping the earth and whatnot? Well, he's been president, and what's he done about it? Nothing. It's all in the campaign, getting people to think one thing so you do something expecting another thing in return, only to see that that is not the case at all. Propaganda, having government spin the media into thinking none thing, but having entirely different intentions. Most of the info about global warming anyway was either 'lost' or 'destroyed' or 'misplaced' (all of those words had been used at one time or another to explain the lack of evidence of global warming and its effects.)or simply taken form outdated sources, and blatantly made up! My closing statement is just that what makes me mad the most, is the who lopsidedness of this unit, and the lack of info from both sides, for this is school, and in school we are told to learn. So if we are told to learn about one thing, which is unfair, untrue, unsupported, unreliable, then that takes away the very usefulness of school, and actually brainwashes us into thinking whatever the government wants us to think, despite half the unit talking about going against so-called brainwashing of young children by advertising. In its greatest form, this unit is just a load of misinformation, and outright hippocracy.

In the past few weeks of school we learned a lot about stuff....literally. Stuff like where does stuff come from and where does it go. I know it is a lot of stuff to take in, so let's start with our class digging through stuff, the stuff is called “trash”. We did this stuff to help the environment, digging through 2 days of trash was pretty discussing but it was very interesting to see how much stuff could be either recycled or composted. In the end we found more then 75% of stuff that would be put in a landfill could be put in a compost or recycled.

The second thing we did in the class was we watched a video on where our stuff comes from.

We learned that around 80% of the stuff we buy within 6 months gets thrown away. Other stuff that we learned was that over 75% of plastic bottles do not get recycled.

In the end, I learned that more people need to recycle their stuff. We all need to compost. It's our world, let's take care of it.

By

HRMA

In the 7th grade, in Rye Jr High we are now learning about helping the earth. We learned a lot about compost, recycling, waste, and many more. The first activity was trash sorting. What we did was we weighed the trash from two day of lunches. There was about 85 pounds of landfill trash. Then we dumped the trash out onto some mats. After we did that, we sorted the trash into three bins, one bin was compost, other bin was recycle and the last bin was landfill. After we sorted the trash we had about 25 pounds of landfill trash left.

The second thing we did was watch some movies on a lot of different things about the earth.One movie was on the story of stuff which was about buying stuff and then once it breaks to get another. Another was about tv ads and want kids to get their parents to buy things for them and the last one was landfill. These were all based on opinion which isn't always right.Then last we did a webcast for earth day, which i was not here for. Now i will end my story. Thank you for reading.

In school, all of the 7th grade celebrated Earth Day.  We are starting to be more green and to help earth become more green.  We watched a bunch of different videos about the earth being polluted and evil corporations taking away natural resources and telling us not to buy anything because it's bad for the earth.  They also told us about freegans and how we should eat our garbage and not waste.   We also did a garbage activity where we had to seperate the compost from the garbage.   We learned that alot of our garbage didn't have to go in the landfills and pollute our water.  We also had a webcast informing alot of people to help out the earth.  To me it was a very successful earth day.  

This earth day my grade and I made a webcast, talking all about the earth and ways to save it. It was a lot of fun because we got to talk all about what we learned to people all around the country! Some of the things we talked about in our webcast were recycling, is it good? or bad? We learned that recycling is very good but we're gonna need a new way of disposing trash and other things that can't be recycled. This solution is composting. Composting is a way we can dispose of trash by putting the trash in a composting bin, churning it up, and then it turns to dirt so we can start the cycle all over again. We also talked a lot about landfills and if they're good for the environment or not. And it turns out they are not very good for the environment because its a whole lot of trash just sitting in land which gives off toxic fumes, and they only last up to 40 years. We learned all this information and more from Mrs. Anderson who was a lady who came into our class room once a week for 3 weeks and talked to us about ways people are destroying the earth and how we can help. The 1st week she came she brought some other guys from a recycling committee too who helped us identify what things in our lunch trash bin we could compost, recycle, or put in a landfill.

One day our school had a trash day. That means these people sorted the trash. They sorted the compost, recyclables and trash that goes to a landfill.The people talked about how things can be used more than once. In science class the teacher asked the kids if they wanted to volunteer to sort the trash. The people showed us a slide show and one of the slides was the Pacific Ocean. It had a lot of trash. It was the size of Texas. The science teacher asked the students if they wanted to sort the trash and 4 or 5 students helped to sort the trash with the people. They told us that some schools can recycle lunch trays and that our school can compost milk cartons.

There were four people there that day to teach us. Two were girls and two were boys. One of the girls came to our school every Tuesday to have a film festival. We watched a movie and when we it we had a piece of paper to answer the questions. After the movie we talk about the movie and the answers.

The one the movies were stuff. Stuff was about People throw stuff away and it was perfectly fine but they saw some other cool and people wasted money on things just came out and they had the almost the same butter. Some of the new thing can be not that better.

Last month, April 22 was earth day. We (the students of the 7th grade) did a live webcast about earth day and the changes being done, and that can be done to help save the planet. We talked about landfills which will all have to be taken care of within the next two decades, the Pacific gyre, a stretch of the Pacific Ocean with garbage and pollution circulating through it, and lastly wasted resources, food, and everyday items. 

Examples of science fiction movies about humans destroying the planet, depleting the planet's resources, and other misfortunes coming to humanity with enourmously disasterous outcomes are starting to come true. Say like the movie Avatar, (all rights reserved 21st Century Fox entertainment LLC, C 2010), at one point during the film the main character says; " there's nothing green back on Earth" This goes in compliance with the massive amounts of de-forestization going on all around the planet today. This movie was supposed to take place only a little more than a century forom now. (!) Some other movies involve massive invasions and war destroying the world, I really hope they're wrong....

Article posted May 21, 2010 at 01:43 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 48

RJH Garden -

Last year in the spring of 2009 our school, Rye Jr. High created a garden in the back of our field. Our school librarian, Mrs. Coombs and Mr. Fortier the 8th grade social studies teacher came up with the idea of having a garden. They spent many hours before and after school working in and on the garden with student's help. One Saturday the school had a garden work day when anybody could come and help. Each grade helped with different things like planting seeds, weeding, spreading stones,watering and creating beds. Some of the teachers had their classes out in the garden and did activities relating to the garden and that subject. The 6th grade math teacher Mr. Scogin took his class and did things like finding out how many rocks are in the garden and each class made one or two of the garden beds.

We planted everything from seed. We started early and started seedlings in some classrooms then when the plants we bigger we moved them into the garden beds outside. In the garden we planted a big variety vegetables, fruits, herbs, gourds, flowers and other plants here and there. In tech ed 6th grade students made a scare crow and some were put in the garden. There were other cool creative decorations for some of the plants to climb on like beans. During the summer families could sign up for days to tend to the garden. While all the students and teachers were on summer vacation a lot happened to the garden. It grew so much, it was so green and colorful. The fall of this year ( a new school year ) we came up with the idea to have a harvest festival. In preparation for the harvest fest, each grade in place of some of our unified arts classes we learned how to contra dance. Students and teaches put a lot of work, time and effort to making to harvest fest fun and entertaining.

Film Fest/ Trash Digging -

For three Tuesdays in a row a women came in from the Rye Energy Committee to teach us different things and information about the environment and how we can help it. Mrs. Anderson came into each our our science classes and she showed a film. Each film was different and about the environment and how to help protect the environment. Some of the students volunteered to dig through the trash after a lot our classes that day. Two guys came form some organization that makes sure that the trash is trash and not stuff that could be used again or recycled. They taught us about recycling and composting and where trash goes where. The kids digging in the trash from that lunch wore gloves and plastic aprons and separated the trash in to three bins, compost, recycle and stuff that goes to a landfill. It was amazing to see how much we could have separated into the compostable and recyclable. After everything was separated we weighed the trash from each bin. Since then our school has started to be better about composting and recycling. We started to really use our compost bin again as the weather got warmer.

Earth Day

Earth Day is a once a year thing. Earth Day can mean many different things. Some people pick up trash, some people don't drive their car but mostly people turn off their power. They save power by unplugging or not using television, computers and other electrical appliances. Lots of people all around the world celebrate Earth Day.

There are 10,000 landfills in the U.S.A. That's a lot of toxins that are being let out into the air. The landfills take up a lot of space and also there using up to many resources. Company's make an item that is good, then they make a better and more expensive one, so you throw out your old one and get the new one. They would destroy the Earth for money. People throw things in the landfill that could still be used or that could go into the compost or recycling bin. There are people called Freegans. Freegans are people who go looking around in garbage for food that is still good. They sometimes find food that hasn't even been open yet.

There are three important things to do to help the Earth and they are the 3 R's , reduce, reuse, recycle. Reduce is the most important out of the R's. Its the best because you stop using as much and you wont pollute the Earth as much. The second most important is reuse. Reuse is the second most important because if you did buy a lot of stuff you can keep using it again and not just once. Recycle is the least important only because the others are better. You should still recycle even though its not the most important it still helps the Earth a little bit.

Kids have a lot of power of what the parents buy. They can use two things, one is called purchasing power which purchasing is having the money to buy it, and the second is called purchasing influence which is where kids nag their parents so much until they finally give in and buy it. Company's use these things as an advantage for them to sell items. Company's put ad's in movies and on boxes of food and other things. They put them in movies because the kids will want that, for example if the kids in the movie are eating MC Donald's then the kids will want to eat that. There can be advertisements for many different things other than food. When they put ad's on boxes of food they could take a famous character from a movie or cartoon then the kids will want that because one of their favorite characters is on the box. The reason this hurts the environment is because the company's make things that are using up too many resources on things that will be used once.

On April 22 2010 our school had a Earth Day Webcast. In the web cast we talked about saving the earth and it's atmosphere. We talked about how to do it by just doing the three R's, Reduce,Reuse,Recycle, and which one is most important. Reuse is the most important because then you will have to recycle and reduce less.  But the what I thought was the most important to talk about was the landfills. Landfills are just big hills filled with trash that cant be reused or recycled. The landfills only last 30-40 years! Which means that the landfills that we have now will only last a about 15 more years. Then what do we do with them?   They seal them up and have then covered with grass and dirt to make it look like a field. But there are pipes coming out of the landfills so the methane and other chemical gasses can come out and into the air. 

Another topic that we talked about was  just plastic and where it goes. There was one thing that really surprised me on where some plastic is. The North Pacific Gyre. the North Pacific Gyre is a big part of the ocean where plastic just goes around in a circle.  Also people wanted to test the Inuits to see if the mothers milk was contaminated. They thought since they eat so healthy and they are far away the it wouldn't. But they found out that it was the most contaminated. Because they eat seafood like seals, and the seals eat plastic that goes in the water, or that was in the food that the seals eat. . Mostly all mother's milk is contaminated and then they poison the little ones.  People are dying because of plastic! We need to stop this, and soon.

"Laws change, Men Die,the land remains"

Abraham Lincoln, 1862

Our grade did an earth day web cast. The full time it ran was twenty four hours, but our grade only talked for I think about an hour or two. What we talked about was well earth day of course, and also how the Earth is a great place to live and how we should treat it with some respect, and how it is getting trashed by pretty much everyone on this planet. How this worked was we all had a meeting with our science teacher and she gave us our jobs for the web cast. Then on the day of the web cast we had our classes, then whoever was participating in the Earth day web cast went to the math room and waited for their classes turn. When the time came our class went into the science room and started our broadcast. We interacted with our listeners, because people would type in questions into the chat room and they would ask us questions about what we learned. It was very interesting and fun to participate in, I would do that again if I had the choice.

Article posted May 12, 2009 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 345

Our school had made a garden about a year ago to help out the environment. We use the garden to plant most of our fruits and vegetables. We don't really buy any produce from the store because when they package the fruit, they use a bunch of plastic when it's not necessary to. But is we do have to buy produce from the store, we buy it fresh because it uses less plastic.

We usually grow perennial plants in our garden so we can change up the fruits and vegetables every year. But we usually grow potatoes, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, etc. We also have some garden days over some of the weekends if anyone wants to work on the garden.

The more we watch science fiction movies that have to do with a abandoning a earth because of pollution it is becoming more of a reality. Our Earth has every single problem from the movie Wall-E if you think about it.

The first subject is about Wal Mart. Wal Mart is our modern day BNL or “Buy and Large”. They try to be the biggest and the best super store in the world, nothing else! Trying to be the biggest doesn't always mean being the best. The quality of a super store's items can sometimes be lower because it needs to mass produce everything. That's why we need small businesses to supply us with good quality food and items even if it costs a little bit more. That's another thing about Wal Mart, they make the price of their items so low that middle class and lower class people can't help but buy at their store!

Another similarity is the horrible global pollution. In Wall-E their were skyscrapers made of trash. We are going to have that problem pretty soon if we don't stop polluting! We are already starting to make the skyscrapers base by making these areas called landfills. If we keep burying holes in ground we won't have anymore room and have to start stacking it (which is already happening). Even are oceans are starting to look similar to the movie. Not only are we putting whole objects in the ocean but toxic liquids like oil and nuclear waste. Soon we wont be able to swim in the ocean because it will be so toxic that it won't be safe. Anybody like seafood...? WELL WE WONT HAVE IT...unless we stop polluting our oceans.

This article might not make sense and doesn't have a lot of detail to it but it's short sweet and to the point and explains what needs to be done. I'm sure my article is going to be just another one of the millions out there that are trying to stop what is happening in this corrupt world. But listen to this world, if we keep sitting on our butts and thinking,waiting and getting on with our own lives even if it means polluting and killing the Earth so that WE can make a living for our selfish selves none of us will live.

Earth day is a very important day to celebrate and give back to the earth. Plant a tree or try composting. So many trees are cut down everyday. If everyone planted a tree that would be so many trees. Think about it, how many people are on this earth who can make a difference. If you compost, not so much trash will go into our landfill. Landfills are bad because it is just piling up under the ground which they just put dirt over it. If you compost, all the banana peels and apple cores you throw away every day could become nice,fresh soil to grow more fruits and vegetables.

In the past few weeks we have been watching videos about the earth. One video was about how commercials just make kids want it and when they get it it is really bad. So when the newer one comes out they will want that. All they are getting you to do is waste your money on something that will just go the landfill. I think there. For example the Ipod. The Ipod started as just a little thing that just played music. Now, they have internet and music and email. The Ipad I think is a waste of money cause they will just come out with something even better than it. It also talked about how there are people called freegans, who eat food from the garbage. Don't think I am saying like trash old food. Like the trash from stores whose food is out of date by one day and is still good. Now think about it. How much trash do you and your family waste everyday?

Film Festival

During the Film Festival at our school I learned a lot about how to help the environment, and what the companies do to get you to buy. Not only did I learn all that, but I also learned some very shocking facts.

The first film in the Film Festival was called “The Story of Stuff”. This video spoke a lot about how we take too many of our natural resources and use. I learned that some of the real costs involved with the distributions of products, it that the companies are constantly creating new products for people to buy. Then they over advertise it, and the people who maybe just bought a computer last year, want a newer, better one.

The second film my class and I saw was called “Consuming Kids/The Commercialization of Childhood”. This film taught me about product placement. Product placement to when companies influence people to buy their products by putting them in movies, or television shows. Kids want to buy the product because they see their favorite stars or role models using it, and automatically think its cool. Companies also use the method of symbolic advertising. This is when the product is not advertised in the commercial, but other things to make it look cooler and more fun are show. Then, at the end of the commercial, they show the logo of the product they were supposed to be advertising. The main focus of most companies, is the “tween” generation. Tween is simply a meaning for the time when you are no longer a child, but not yet a teenager. Over the years, tweens have went from about 10 to 12, to 6 to 12, to where we are now; from 4 to 12 years old. Some people would like to say that companies have increased this change by releasing adult or teenager dolls, making the kids want to grow up even faster. Markets also tend to use gender stereo types often. Like they use pretty and fashionable girls so that you will envy that girl, and think if you use that product that yo u will be more like her. Then for boys they use strong, tough, and violent boys to let them think if they use that product they will be strong and cool. Companies have even started to target babies, and their mothers. These products are rarely tested for educational purposes, and only teach new babies two things; how to sit in front of a screen and play video games. Some people will complain that food companies have increased the levels of obesity in America by advertising excessive junk food, while they are already slumped down on the couch watching television.

In the thirds film that we watched was called “Trashed – this is the story of garbage...American Style” We learned a lot about how much trash Americans throw our everyday, and how much waste we produce. I was surprised when I learned that New Yorkers throw out about 50,000 tons of trash every day. There are people called freegans. They don't believe in their fellow New Yorkers wasteful ways. Every night, instead of making dinner bough from the store, they go out on the streets of New York and eat from the trash bags. I was surprised by how much healthy, and fresh foods were thrown out by restaurants, grocery stores, and just regular people. I also was realized that while I was watching the video, that we consider throwing stuff away a luxury. Its a major benefit in our culture, but is it slowly becoming a problem? I think that companies are most aware of the trash problem because it will effect their businesses if people are unhappy with their attempt to help the environment. Another major trash problem here in America, is the North Pacific Gyre. This Gyre has 6 times more trash than wild life living in it. It is known as the “plastic plague”.

Laws change, Men die, The land remains” - Abraham Lincoln. I think what Lincoln was trying to say, is that our laws will change in the future, and people will die someday, but the land will always be here, so we have to take care of it now. I really took in a lot from this festival of films, and I hope to help the earth in this life time.

Article posted May 5, 2010 at 12:15 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 71

Lights, microphone, ACTION!

That's how it went on Thursday, April 22, 2010. We crammed around a table with a microphone an a computer and addressed the world. Rye Junior High participated in the for earth day. I was a speaker, so I'll tell you firsthand how it went. After two fifteen minute segments before my group, four of us walked into the seventh grade science room for our turn. We had planned a slide show to present what we do to our earth and what we can do to stop it. We were all nervous with excitement as we stepped in there! We introduced our group and turned on the slide show. After a few moments of dead silence, we realized our viewers sent us messages (via the chat room available for comments from the public) that the sound went down. Not wanting to give up such a chance of a lifetime, we stretched the microphone across the room and continued the slide show.

The slide show was fantastic. Our first slide featured aluminum. Did you know that a can just thrown away will still be here in 500 years? There's no limit to how many times a can can be reused or recycle, so let's make that can be recycled for 500 years instead. And, recycling just one aluminum can can power a TV for three full hours! Since we use over 80 billion cans a year, that's 24,000,000,000 hours of TV power we could have PER YEAR. Twenty-four trillion hours. Having second thoughts?

The next slide was plastic. Americans use 2,500,000 plastic bottles per hour. Not exactly the best statistic. Plastic saves twice as much energy if its recycled instead of burned. As well, every piece of plastic tossed into the ocean may one day kill one million sea creatures. In the Pacific ocean, there is a giant turning current full of plastic that doesn't go away called a gyre. Birds, turtles, dolphins, whales, fish, anything could get caught in them and die. Things will swallow bits of plastic and die of poisoning. They can also eat so much of the plastic they are always full and cannot get the real food they need, so they die of starvation even though they're gorged.

The next was about paper. Recycling one run of a newspaper can save 75 trees. All the wood and paper we use could heat 50 million homes for 20 years. Most of that paper is junk mail. The average household throws away 13,000 pieces of junk mail. Not only is it unwanted, but it is harmful. Trees are basically cut down to be thrown away! That's like building a house from scratch just to tear it down when you're done. It wastes money to grow those trees. The money could be used for helping the poor and homeless, donated to a food bank, to build a hospital. But no. We toss it out the door just like our trash.

On to glass. Glass is better than plastic, but it has to be used properly. Every month, we throw away enough glass bottles to fill a skyscraper. For every time we make glass, 385 pounds of waste is made. If recycled glass is used instead, we could cut that amount by 80%. That would be the better choice, because glass would take up to 4,000 years to biodegrade; even longer if it is buried in a landfill.

But here's what we can do. Let's use recyclable or reusable items instead of disposable. They might cost more, but they're mostly better in quality and better in the long run. We can use "plastic" made from wheat and corn. Those decompose. You can usually identify them by how loud they are, but they should be marked. We should also spread awareness. The more people realize the problem, the easier it will become to solve. Even if everyone recycled 10% of their cans or plastic bottles, that could make a HUGE difference. Let's try to save our Mother Earth!

For three science class's this year we got to watch three films. The films were Consuming Kids/The Commercialization of childhood, Trashed – This is the story of garbage...American style, and The Story of Stuff. They were very interesting because it taught us a lot about things we didn't know and isn't that the point of teaching anyways.

The film I'm going to talk about first is the Consuming Kids/The Commercialization of Childhood. This film is about how the commercials that air on television now are focused on children. When the Federal Trade Commission tried to create a ban on ads aimed at young children the government turned them down and wouldn't let them do it. Since commercials are allowed to focus on children so that they would want to look different and do different things. The commercials mostly focus on “tweens”. Tweens are the children that are in between the ages of 10 and 12, but since this all started the ages have moved and now it's the ages between 4 and 9. The words tweens was made up by the commercialization process, not the parents that just find that a good word for the age group. In the commercials the girls are pressured to pretty and skinny by wearing revealing clothing and tons of makeup. The boys are pressured to be very violent, to hurt people and always talk about killing people. Product placement is when there is an advertisement in a movie. When a “tween” see a certain person wearing something or drinking/eating something they want it too.

The second film we watched was Trashed – This is the Story of garbage...American style, it's about the food we buy, don't eat or just waste, and where it goes. Just New Yorkers alone throw away 50,000 ton of trash. A Landfill is an area that people just put there trash in to get rid of it, from those landfills there is methane gas that comes from the landfill which is bad for the environment. When people say “We put value in things we through away.” it means that when we through things away it cost money like everything else. We either bring it to the dump or have someone pick it up for us (that cost money), than someone else has to sort it into different piles, than it has to be taken away. So it really does cost money to through something away. A “freegan” is a person who searches through trash, picks out the food that is still edible and eats it. They eat the food that people through away because they think that it's gone bad or is the wrong kind and even more reasons. The “freegans” are able to just pick up the food and eat it, I don't know how they can do that, because some people would be totally disgusted with it. So it is a choice that they make in their life and it probably saves them a ton of money, but on other bad side they are eating the food that they other people are throwing away. The North Pacific Gyre is a waterway that is twice the size of the United States of America, it's filled with plastic. It's said that when your there you can't go 30 seconds without seeing a piece of trash. There was a experiment done to see if mothers breast milk was purest for woman living in urban landscapes, the result was very surprising. Woman living in a urban landscape the purest milk, the woman who live out in the forest with tribes and such get all the bad air that's filled with the carbon and everything from us that we're putting in our atmosphere and it hurting other parts of the human population.

Laws change.......Men die..........The land remains.” that saying was from Abraham Lincoln in 1862. What he means when he says that is that the laws will change, we will have different laws over the years, people will die it doesn't matter what happens the people of the earth will die it's just never going to change, but the land it will always stay here, we can't live without it, it's not going anywhere, it will still be here when we're all dead. So basally what he's saying in the short run is that the only thing that's not going to change is the lands, so we better take care of it.

For our earth day we have been finding a lot of ways to celebrate, by creating podcasts, posters, and talking to different schools in the USA. A couple weeks ago my class had a chance to talk to a person in California to talk about the projects we have been doing here. One of the projects we have been working on is recycling, composting, and reducing our waste in our school. Also for the actual earth day we were webcasting, and chatting to people from other schools to help them make a choice on how to reduce the waste from each school.

We also had some volunteers come to our school to tell us what can and can't be composted in our lunch.

Garden

For our class, we have started to work on the garden by planting seeds to grow for our lunch. We are also selling our own seeds that we made, and testing people's soil to tell them what they can grow in it. In sixth grade, we also got to measure out the garden boxes and see how much plants we can grow in each one. We also got to vote on which fruits and vegetables we want to grow, and actually got to plant them ourselves. Now we also can sell some of our foods to other people in the town.

Your Stuff and Its Journey

For three weeks we had people come in and tell us about what was really happening beyond the garbage trucks. Do you really know where your garbage goes after the garbage truck takes it away? Most people don't even know where it goes because they don't even care, they only care that it's not with them anymore. New Yorkers throw away 50,000 tons of waste a DAY and that's only New York think about the whole world, and then factor in that less than 4% of plastic in the U.S. is actually recycled. We picked through trash and skyped with people to see what they thought of what we were doing. I really liked learning about what people are doing with our trash. Learning about what people are doing with our trash really saddened me, because people don't care where their trash goes and they should, because no one wants to show their child a picture of a tree and say this is what trees looked liked when we had them.

I think that personally people should pay more attention, since people complain that it's the governments fault, but really it's their fault. People don't realize that since they don't care where their trash is going they'll just complain when our world is destroyed but it's their fault. People should care more about their trash.

Our grade went through all our trash that we had for the last two days. It was only the trash from the cafeteria though. There ended up being more compost and recyclables in the trash than there was real trash. We learned that a lot of the things we throw away are thrown into a landfill and don't decompose, and could be recycled or composted. If everyone does these simple things like recycling and composting we could reduce our trash drastically.      

Our grade had a film festival on our trash and where it goes. I found that planned obsolescence was pretty interesting. Planned obsolescence is when a company designs a product to not last long. For example computer companies put a chip in the computer and every year they have a new updated one. The thing is every year the new updated one won't fit in the old computer, they plan this. They want you to buy a new computer and get rid of your old computer. Companies don't think about where or what happens to their products once they are sold. Only 1% of the products we buy are in use six months after they are purchased. The companies don't realize that a lot of their products aren't in use after they come out with a new product. All the companies want it to make you feel that you need to buy the new best thing. They make it seem like if you don't have this or that you're not cool. This is called the cool factor. I thought this was interesting because I bet that not many people realize what some companies do to get you to buy their products.

The earth is really, really screwed up. We are polluting it and destroying ourselves, and doing it on purpose. Earth day was 2 weeks ago, and on that day, we accepted that fact, and had a huge, worldwide, “Earthcast” to discuss ideas for the earth to be a greener, better place. The Earthcast was April 22nd, and lasted all of the day; almost 24 hours. Kids and adults from schools all around the world participated, and there was a great turnout.

Another part to our earth unit in science class was a film festival. In this we watched three different films, all having to do with the earth, marketing, and how screwed we all are. The first video was called “the story of stuff”, and showed us the life cycle of the stuff we use. The second video was on marketing techniques, and the shopping culture of America. The third video was on how we disposed of trash after we used it. These films all tied together a unit which came with one conclusion: we are destroying the earth.

Article posted May 4, 2009 at 06:00 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 210

The past couple weeks we learned about where our trash goes. The first day we learned what we throw away that can be recycled and composted. We got down and dirty and separated it ourselves. It was really awesome except when I almost up chucked. Other than that it was very fun.

We also watched movies on advertizing and how its ruining our youth. The first movie we watched was “The Story of Stuff” and that was about where our trash goes.

Our grade for Earth Day had a assembly where a group of people came in and educated us on the three R's which are reduce, reuse, and recycle and also they told us about how most of our trash that we throw away isn't really all trash some of it is recyclables and compost. Then after they finished talking they had an activity for us to do that was related to what they were talking about before. For the activity we had a tarp on the floor with three different colored bins on the edge. Each bin had a label reduce, reuse, or recycle on it and in the middle of the tarp we had our schools trash from the last three days. In the activity we weighed the total amount of trash first which was 87.5 pounds and then sorted the trash into the bins. When we finished the sorting we weighted each bin with 9 pounds of recyclables, 51 pounds of compost, and 25 pounds of true trash.

In our science class, we watched a series of films about keeping out earth alive and healthy. There were three films that we watched, and they were all very interesting to me. In the next two paragraphs, I am talking about the Freegans, and us, the consumers of products.

The freegans were by far the most interesting topic of all of the other sections of the waste video, and they are inspiring people all over the world. Freegans are people who eat from only the trash of other people, and usually are found in cities. Almost everyone asks “Why don't the freegans ever get sick from all of the trash they eat?” The truth is, what the freegans are eating is not really trash. They usually only eat things that are still fresh and/or sealed. How is this possible, wasn't it in the trash? Well, yes it was, but lots of store-owners throw away things that wont expire for weeks! There is even a law that if a piece of cooked food is left out for more than twenty minutes it must be thrown away. Can you even imagine how much god food is thrown away every day? Think about all of the food chains like McDonalds, and Burger king, that have to follow this law. Well, I suppose this is a good thing for the freegans, in front of food chains like this are usually where they are found! Another common question people ask about the freegans is, “Are the freegans poor?” The answer is, almost no freegans are poor, in fact, they don't have to pay an average of 100$ on food each week like we do, they are saving money, they never have to buy anything!

My next paragraph is about us, consumers. Everybody is a consumer, some people even say we are even consumers when we are in our mothers womb! We buy things that we don't need every day. The target of big company owners are all of us kids. They like to make new fashion after new fashion, so we keep buying what is “hip”, or “cool.” They actually try to make us feel embarrassed by wearing last months fashion of clothes, or yesterdays cool shoes, so we keep buying from then. A great example of this is Sketchers shoe brand. Have you noticed how often they come out with new things? First its “Hidi's Hi-Tops” and then “Pretty tall Shoes”, and even “Twinkle toes!” It's like week after week of new things so you will spend more money! Some marketers actually watch smaller kids play and do other things to see what they like. Some marketers even watch them in the bathroom, but don't worry, no one will ever do that to you. All of the things I have said in this paragraph are very important, so don't forget!

Before earth day, we had a visitor visit our classroom to talk to us about the process of making stuff and how the stuff gets thrown out and were it goes when it breaks of we don't want it anymore. We watched a series of 3 movies on adds and advertizing to kids and even babies. I learned that companies take a food, or home idem and put a cartoon character on it and the kid would want to get it and or would say that (for a food idem) it tastes better even though they have not tried it or it could just tastes the same.

We also had a small assembly in our cafeteria about trash at lunch time and about composting and recycling. We took two days worth of trash from the 7th grade and dumped it all out on a tarp on the floor. The total trash before we sorted it all out in different piles, it weighed 87.5 pounds. And than after we sorted to trash into piles, we got 51 pounds of compost, 9 pounds of recycling, and 25 pounds of landfill trash.

Our school does many things to help support this planet. One of our biggest contributions to the Earth is our garden that we have. Last year in math class we designed the garden while learning about geometry. In Language Arts (LA) we wrote about the garden and read a book, Seedfolks. Seedfolks is a book about a small garden that united many people in Detroit. In science we learned about plants and gardening. One of our biggest contributors to our garden is our Librarian, Ms. Coombs. She gets seeds for the garden and helps it in her free time.

We had an assembly this year and we now have compost bins that we are allowed to put certain organic materials, such as apple cores, banana peels, salads without dressing, and stuff like that. We use the compost on our garden as a fertilizer. This year on Earth Day our grade participated in an Earth Day webcast. We had an hour long block of time to talk about our planet and how to protect it, and what our school is doing.

Gardens are a great way to get your communities involved in outdoor fun and activities. Our school previously started a garden, all of the grades have gotten really involved. The layout of the garden was a contest to see who had the best idea for a map to scale. Many of the seeds were donated by students or teachers. Now in science our class we are testing pH of the soil to make sure the fruits and veggies will be able to grow. Our school has really come together through the garden, I encourage other families and school to create a garden getting friends and family involved.

Our school has been trying to go green and succeeding in some ways. A group of people from the zero waste now business which composts and demonstrates to children and even adults the effectiveness of composting and how it helps everyone. When they came in we went through bags of trash and when we started there was 87.5lbs of trash. After we sorted it there was 22lbs of trash, 51lbs of compost and 9lbs of recyclables. So if we all sorted trash like that you could get a large amount of great fertilizers and reduce the amount in landfills. This shows that doing a small thing goes a long way.

For Earth Day, everyone in our grade brought in a disposable item that we use once and throw away. For example: plastic bags, plastic bottles, gum wrappers, etc. We talked and discussed everyone's items, and then we talked about the reusable alternative. I brought in one of those plastic bags you use for keeping things fresh in the refrigerator and in the kitchen. Our class thought about it and figured that you could use a tupperware instead, and you wouldn't have to throw it out. That would be much more green. We did this for everyone and now we can remember to use the greener, non-disposable version of each item.

Our school had a group of people come and show us a video about trash and how it is effecting our Earth. We dug through our trash from lunch and found a huge mess. Some kids volunteered to help sort out the trash. We had different bins that consisted of trash, recycling and compost.

We also saw a power point that was shocking. Did you know that there is a part in an ocean where all you can see is trash? It's so sad. Also, because of the trash in the ocean many animals are deformed. It is very upsetting. It really made people take a second look at trash, though.

We went to the cafeteria. We looked at our trash. We collected the trash from lunch for two days. There was a lot of trash. There was about 85 lbs of trash total. We opened up the bags and dumped them on the floor. Then we looked for things that we could recycle or compost. Then we weighed the trash that would go to a landfill. In the end there were only 25 lbs of trash that would go right to the landfill. That really surprised me.

We did all of that so we could make sure we found everything we could recycle. I liked the activity. Some things that could be recycled are: plastic bottles, plastic containers for yogurt, soda cans, and aluminum foil. Some things that could be composted are: milk cartons, eggs, leftover chicken, and leftover pizza. I learned about how our trash goes to a landfill. They haul all of the trash away in big trucks. I was really surprised at how much we were wasting.

One day we each brought a disposable item to class. I brought in a chocolate chip ice cream container. People throw away the containers after they eat the ice cream. We looked at everything that we throw away at home. We had to look at what we need to throw away and what we can recycle or compost. We recycle at my house, but we don't compost. We have compost bins at school, though.

A couple weeks ago was Earth Day where everyone was broadcasting about ways to cut down on trash and just help the earth. During school a couple of weeks before that we had a group of people come in. They helped us sort though all trash from that day and the day before that. A group of volunteers from each of our classes got in gloves and aprons, so they wouldn't get dirty. They dumped out all of the trash out of the bags and sorted through them. There were three groups of food. Trash that would go to the landfills, recyclable things, and Compostable things. We ahd about 87 pounds of trash before we sorted though it all. But when we were done sorting through things we had reduced it down to 25 pound of trash about 51 pounds of compostable trash and 9 pounds of recyclable stuff. It doesn't add up because some of it was liquids and little things we really couldn't pick up. It was very gross but showed us how we can reduce down the amount of trash that goes into landfills. 

Another thing thing we did was the Earth Cast. A few of people from each of the classes were in little groups with different assignments for everyone. We had a greeter and a question answering person. They just typed on the computers. Then there were intro people and outro people who also answered questions and talked about things that we did. It was really fun and each class said something different. There were also other people in different schools or organizations that talked too. It went on for 24 hours. From 8pm the night before earth day to 8pm the night of Earth Day. it was very inspirational.

These last two or three weeks were based on the environment and the world leading up to April 22nd, which is Earth Day. We got to have a guest speaker come in to our class for a couple of days and show us videos like, "The Story of Stuff." In the video, it was these people telling us how bad humans are on helping the environment. They would say all these crazy facts and just put it out that might not even be true. When it was talking about the buying of goods they blame President Bush about how he told everybody in America to go out and shop. And of course, that isn't true it is just the same old people that think it is all our fault that the trash is building up and nowhere to go. I thought and how I always think, "that it is the people telling us what they think not what we think." 

When in another video when it was based on the advertisement, telling students that when their kids they nag their parents until they get it and when something is not as totally cool as on television. Then the people in the video had to blame someone so they blamed the companies of making things so bad. I say, "the companies aren't to blame because all they want is to make a better product, and that is their job."

The next thing that we got to do is have another group of helpers come in and pick trash out of our garbage of the last two days. What we did is break the trash into groups Landfill, recyleables, or compost. There was a total of 85 pounds that our school would have thrown away. As you see in the picture we would dig through trash and sort it out. We all were amazed at the end when we weighed the three categories.  The lowest amount was landfill with about 25 pounds. You would have been surprised where most of the world's trash goes was the least for our school.

One assembly we had was an assembly on our school's garbage . Out of  87.5 lbs  25 lbs went to the landfill, 9 lbs was recycling and 51 lbs was compostable! That's 60 % compostable, 30% goes into a landfill and  10% was recylable, that means that less than 1/2 of our garbage acually didn't had to go into a landfill and more than 1/3 wasn't compostable!

We had a film festival and there were 3 videos. The first video was the story of stuff.  It talked about how the U.S., when we run out of supplies we go to other countries and start polluting their lands and ruining their environment too then sell it at lower price than it cost the people in other countries to make it and labor on it which means they are either underpaid or not paid at all. Then we go out and buy it then eventually throw it away and when we throw it away it either  ends up in a landfill like this

We all care about the environment, but would you go through 87 pounds of trash to show it? The seventh graders at Rye Junior High did. We went through two days of trash from our lunch, to see what we throw away that can be recycled or composted. While some students suited in gloves and aprons dumped the trash at their feet, the rest of us waited in the side lines, wrinkling our noses and shrieking. Rice from lunch poured onto the plastic that protected the ground, and milk cartons flooded the area. Then the really gross stuff happened. The students started wading in ankle deep trash and picking through the scraps. This really got a squeal out of everyone. The people from Zero Waste Now instructed them to put the food in three buckets if the were recyclable, compost, or just trash. Fruits and veggies went into the Compost bucket as well as milk cartons. They only went in because the people from Zero Waste Now said that they were able to compost them at their facility. At the end they weighed the trash. We ended up with 25 pounds of trash, 51 pounds of compost, and 9 pounds of recyclables. The remaining weight came from bits and pieces of this and that that were too small to pick up.

But if you though digging through trash was gross how about eating from it? Freegans eat from the trash bags that people leave on the streets in big cities. But they do it to get a big message through. They can stay perfectly heathly by eating from trash. And they're normal people. One we learned about was a second grade teacher. But the trash we throw away isn't necessarily trash. In fact freegans are perfectly healthy people. In the video we watched, they showed us trash bags out side of a grocery store. They got pre-prepared salads from bags, bread and even some meats. They told us that they  take food off the line if they're close to expiring even though they might good up to two weeks later.

So remember to be more concious about what you throw away because it might be able to go to better use.