HSGR-

by teacher: Rye Alumni

Title: Planets (09/24/09)
Description: We've been investigating the planets. We used two different scales to compare the distances from the Sun and their sizes. Later, we will do a "planet walk" to compare the sizes and distances on one common scale.

Well some people thought the earth was flat but it's round because when they watched the ships sailing they never fell off the earth they just disappeared in the horizon. Our closest star is the sun. Earth is the center of the universe people used to think that the sun was the the center but its not. Kepler = planets go around the sun. The fastest thing is light speed. The sun is about 8 1/3 miles away. Sadly stars don't twinkle its the air that makes them look like they are twinkling. Everyone thinks that the stars are moving but its actually the earth that is moving. Planets that move is called wandering stars. Venus is called the evening star. The sun goes from east to west. We have recently been learning about the distances between the planets and the sun and how far away they are.

It is very important to scientist to be able to comprehend the distances between planets and other space objects, but the distances that we use on earth are very hard to use in space. For example, the earth is located 93,000,000 miles away from Earth! Can you imagine trying to measure the distance between the Sun and Neptune! Scientist developed a measurement called an Astronomical Unit (AU) to help the with this problem. An AU is 93 million miles, the distance from the Earth to the Sun. Astronomical Units are used to measure the distances between our planets and other things in our Solar System.

Light is the fastest thing that we know of, making it vitally important. Light travels at 186,000 miles per second. Scientist thought that the amount of time that light travels in a year (Light Year) would be a good measurement that could be used for measuring distances between stars. For example, the Sun is 8 1/3 light minutes away from us, because it takes 8 1/3 minutes for the Sun's light to reach us. The development of light years has become an important part of the study of space.

Our Solar System consists of the sun and eight other planets. Most of the planets are widespread, except for the first four planets. Mercury, the closets planet to the sun, is located only .4 AU's (Astronomical Units) away from the sun. Mars is located at 1.6 AU's away from the sun. Venus and Earth are stuck between these two planets. After the first four planets the second planet is Jupiter, located 5.8 AU's away. Neptune is the farthest planet located 30.1 AU's away.

Planets inside the asteroid belt are much closer to the sun than most people would think. Planets farther away from the sun are much, much more spread out. We learned about planets farther away from Saturn with a formula known as Bode's law. This law is very useful, because once we build stronger telescopes, we will be able to pinpoint where new, undiscovered planets might be. Also, did you know that the moon is bigger than Pluto? This is because Pluto was probably a moon of Neptune, according to Bode's law.

Did you know?

Pluto is 625 times smaller than the Sun,

And the earth is 107 times smaller.

If the Sun stopped giving off light right now, we wouldn't know for 8 minutes and 20 seconds.

The closest star other than the Sun, Proxima Centauri, could have died last year, but we won't know for another 3 years.

If light could bend, it could go around the Earth 7 times in one second. That is a speed of 669, 600, 000 miles per hour, the fastest thing that we know of.

Did you know? Saturn and Jupiter are pretty much just assorted gasses.

If you were able to stand on the surface of Jupiter, then the gravitational pull would flatten you like a pancake.

If we ran out of room on earth, only a quarter of the world population could fit on the moon.

We have learned about Erastothenes and how he figured the Earth was round and the actual size. He was off just few miles in calculations.

A lot of the first four planets are close together and near the Sun. The rest of the planets are spread out. We learned the distances between the planets from the Sun.

We looked at website that told us the size of the planets and we could compare with other planets. For example, Neptune and Uranus are the same size. I also learned that Venus and Earth are about the same size.

The half out of the 8 planets are within 1.5 AU (1 AU=93,000,000). The sun is about 107 times larger in then the Earth 108-1 ratio diameter. Our Moon ratio is 1-3.70 you can put 3.67 moons on Earth. Jupiter is the largest plant the ratio to Earth is 1-11.1.

The Stars and the Earth...

To a lot of people it seems that whenever the earth moves the stars look like their moving too. This is because were only moving and the stars stay in the same spot.

Some sad news is that stars do not twinkle, it's just an optical illusion.

The fastest thing we know of is the speed of light. It can travel 186,000 miles/min.

11,160,000 miles/sec. A light year is a distance. This certain light year travels in one

year. Light can travel through a vacum ( nothing ). You cant see it from the side.

Do you think you know everything? Well, you might be right or wrong. Well if your right, you will learn again. If your wrong you will learn some more. Well here in science we learned a lot of different things like planets, how people found the Earth, and space. Today you will learn the planet and how close they are to the Sun. The closest planet to the Sun is Mercury at 0.4au away, then comes Venus at 0.7au away, then we have Earth at 1 au away, then it's Mars at 1.5au, then we can see that Jupiter is clearly next at 5.2au, then there is Saturn at 9.5au, as we get far away we go to Uranus at 19.2, then Neptune at 30.1, then the little 'planet' Pluto at 39.9 au.

The things we have been learning in science is.... the planets in space! Some things we learned was..... that stars don't twinkle! Its the air around the earth that makes it look like the stars twinkle. People use to call planets wondering stars. Planet Venus = evening stars. The big bang theory = explosion of the universe. We have also been talking about tools like.... the sundial, and the sextant which is used to measure the angle of elevation of an object in the sky. Light year = distance that light travels in one year, light speed = fastest thing – 186,000 miles/sec. Our closest star is the sun – sun = 81/3 minutes.

The sun is one au away from the sun which is about 93,000,000 miles away. Light goes at 186,000 miles per second and takes eight minutes for light to get to earth. A long time ago, a man name Ptolemy said that the earth was the center of the universe. Even without knowing for sure, he spread the information with others. He did this because in the bible it says that God made the universe and the heavens perfect. Ptolemy thought that if they didn't believe the earth wasn't in the center they would be saying that the universe isn't perfect and they wouldn't go to heaven. In the 1500's they didn't know what to call planets so they called them wandering stars. We have many planets in our solar system but unfortunately pluto is a long way away.

What I noticed about the size of the planets is that Venus is just about the same size as Earth. I also noticed that Pluto and Mercury are about the same size as the Moon. I also figured out that there is a lot of objects that we do not know about and probably wont know about. The universe is so vast that no one will ever know what secrets I holds. Even if there is another planet that has intelligent life I doubt that we will ever know about it.

Planets:

Did you know that in B.C. times the people called the planets wandering stars because they moved? You may have also not known that that Venus is out in the evening and in the morning that's why it is also called the evening star. There is also a saying to help remember the order of the planets.

Many - Mercury

Very – Venus

Early - Earth

Men - Mars

Ate – Asteroid Belt

Juicy - Jupiter

Steaks - Saturn

Using - Uranus

Nothing - Neptune

Distances:

All of the planets that are close to the sun are all clumped together and the ones farther away are spread out more. Did you know that Pluto is actually much closer to Neptune than you think. Pluto is only about 9 Au's away, which is still far but close for space. People think Pluto may have been one of Neptune's moons at one point and then went off on its own some how. Au's are a distance scientists and astronomers made up, Au's are the distance between Earth and the Sun.

Sizes:

Planets- I learned that we have nine planets. Pluto got replaced by a dwarf planet.

Distance- I noticed that some planets are close together and others are farther apart. There is a math pattern that can be used to tell how far apart the planets are.

Sizes- I learned that some planets are the same size and others are smaller or bigger.

The planets have a mathematical order. The order starts 0. The order then goes like this: 0+4 divided by 10= 0.4. Mercury is located 0.4 A.U.'s away from the sun. Then you do 3+4 divided by 10= 0.7, which is Venus's distance from the sun. Then it's 6+4 divided by 10= 1 A.U. Which is our distance from the sun. (approx 93,000,000 miles) These numbers were discovered by Johann Bode.(Hence their name, Bode's numbers)

I found out couple things about space in these last couple classes. One thing I found out was that the earths moon is larger than Pluto. Another thing I learned is all the types of telescopes for instance the refracting telescope, the reflecting telescope, the radio wave telescope, the microwave telescope, the infrared telescope and the solar telescope. The last thing I learned was how ancient people found out how the earth was round for instance the Sun would only shine down the well on the two equinoxes and on the same day the sun light wouldn't shine straight down a different well.

Mercury-many

Venus-very

Earth-early

Mars-many

asteroid belt-ate

Jupiter-juicy

Saturn-steaks

Uranus-using

Neptune-no

Pluto-plates

Planets- This is away to help you remember the order of the planets, Many- Mercury Very- Venus Early- Earth Men- Mars Ate- Asteroids Juicy- Jupiter Steaks- Saturn Using- Uranus No- Neptune Plates- Pluto Distances- All the planets are different distances away form each other, us and the sun. Pluto is the farthest away form the sun and Earth but Pluto is not considered a planet anymore. Mercury is the closest to the sun. Bodes number is a math pattern for the distances between the planets, most of them are exact but some are not. It was invented by Johann Bode.

Planets-

This is away to help you remember the order of the planets,

Many- Mercury

Very- Venus

Early- Earth

Men- Mars

Ate- Asteroids

Juicy- Jupiter

Steaks- Saturn

Using- Uranus

No- Neptune

Plates- Pluto

Distances- All the planets are different distances away form each other, us and the sun. Pluto is the farthest away form the sun and Earth but Pluto is not considered a planet anymore. Mercury is the closest to the sun. Bodes number is a math pattern for the distances between the planets, most of them are exact but some are not. It was invented by Johann Bode.

PLANETS-The order of the planets is:

Mercury-Many

Venus-very

Earth-early

Mars-men

Asteroids-ate

Jupiter-juicy

Saturn-steaks

Uranus-using

Neptune-no

then if you want, Pluto-plates

DISTANCES- All of the distances of each planet are different. But the farthest object away from Earth is Pluto. But even though people don't think that Pluto is a planet anymore, it is still pretty far away. But the closest planet to the Sun in Mercury. There is also a system called Bodes Numbers. It was invented by Johann Bode. The answer always came up to almost the exact distance for each planet.

SIZES-The sizes of the planets are measured in UA's(Astronomical Units). I AU is the distance between the Earth and the Sun, 93,000,000 miles.

Planets-

No planet is alike each other. They all have there uniqueness. Like Saturn has its rings and Jupiter has its big storm on it called the red dot. Some of the planets are different colors too. Like Uranus and Neptune are blue. Planets can be red, blue, and white. Also when you look up into the sky, you sometimes see a star in the sky and the next night its not there. That's because its a wondering star better known as a planet. The most common one is Venus.

Distances-

The planets are close and far away from the Sun. The closest one it Mercury. The furthest one is Neptune. Now your probably wondering why it's not Pluto,well to tell you the truth, Pluto is not a planet anymore. I know, it's sad. Now let me give you a list so you know how close and far away the planets are.

Mercury- .4AU

Venus- .7AU

Earth- 1AU

Mars- 1.5AU

Jupiter- 5.2AU

Saturn- 9.5AU

Uranus- 10.2AU

Neptune- 30.1AU

Pluto- 39.5AU (Not a Planet)

Sizes-

The planets are all different sizes. For instance, Jupiter is thhe largest planet, and Mercury is the smallest. Now your probably wondering, why isn't Pluto the smallest planet. Well to tell you the truth, Pluto is not a planet anymore. Scientists say it drifted to far out of our solar system. So now we just call Pluto a dwarf planet.

Measurements-

We used lot of mesurements when we were working with the planets. But the most we used were lightyears and AUs. We used lightyears for measuring the distance of the stars and how long it takes for the light of the stars to get to us, and we used AUs to tell the distance of the planets. An AU is how far a planet is form the sun. Here are all the planets and their AU's.

Mercury-0.4

Venus-0.7

Earth-1.0

Mars-1.5

Jupiter-5.2

Saturn-9.5

Unanus-19.2

Neptune-30.1

Pluto-39.5

PLANETS

The measurement of distance we use for our solar system is measured in Au's or astronomical units. One astronomical unit is equal to 93,000,000miles.

As you get closer to the Sun, many more planets are closer together. As you get farther away from the sun, the more spread out our planets are. Light is the fastest thing we know of but the Universe is so big that it can take minutes, hours, days or even years for it to reach certain objects. To measure longer distances, Scientists can measure in light years (how long it takes for light to reach an object). The Sun light that we see is ancient light because it takes 8 and one third of a minute to reach Earth. We can only see light when it hits an object but we can't see it from the side.

There are many planets in our solar system, eight to be exact. There used to be nine until scientists decided Pluto was not a planet, now its a dwarf planet. The largest planet is Jupiter, and the smallest is mercury. Earth is the 3rd closest planet from the sun. The sun is our closest star, it is so big, that's why we can see it in the day time. Did you know that all of the stars we're looking at is ancient light, because light may take 1,000,000 light years to get to us. The sun light takes 8 minutes to get to us also. You know the song twinkle twinkle little star well guess what!! its very exciting news ready ready!! and . . . . . . . . STARS DONT TWINKLE!! isn't that sad. That means that that song is a lie. As I was saying, oh yes did you know that Neptune and Uranus are the two closest planets Our moon is very small, right? But which planet is the closest to the size of our moon? If you guesses mercury they your correct!! Which planet it 2 times smaller that mars?. . . Mars! Which planet is 4 times larger that earth. . . Uranus!. . . . Which object is 108 times larger than earth. . . . . . The sun!! hears a hard one, which planet is 11.1 times larger than earth. . . . . Jupiter! Which planet is 3.88 times larger than earth. . . . . Neptune! Now which planet is the closest size to earth . . Venus! Alright that's what I learned in science class bye!!

When we were learning about our solar system in science class, I was surprised to learn that our solar system isn't shaped like the 3-D models you typically see. If the sun is about 3 inches wide, you can barely see any of the planets smaller than Neptune, and even Jupiter is just a little dot. On top of that, while the first 4 planets are densely placed (by universal terms) the rest are much farther apart. Also, the closer a planet is to the sun, the faster it has to orbit because it needs to balance centrifugal force with the sun's gravitational pull, or else it either gets sucked in or flung out of the solar system. There is also an asteroid belt where a planet should be, so there are theories that say a planet blew up, creating the asteroids.

Planets are cool. They are big, small, HUGE, medium and they all have different characteristics.

Mercury- It is the closest planet to the Sun but isn't the hottest. Its 2.54 times smaller than Earth.

Venus- It's the hottest planet in the Solar System. It is almost the same size as Earth.

Earth- Is the only planet with known life on it. It has a strong magnetic field with a thick atmosphere and oxygen for life.

Mars- It is pure rock but it shows signs that it used to have it's own magnetic field. If that is true, then it might have supported life.

Asteroids- in between Mars and Jupiter there is a asteroid belt. No one knows how it got there but there are theories.

Article posted September 24, 2009 at 04:32 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

You never thought much about how they thought the earth was round. I know I didn't. So I will tell you. Erastothenes in Alexandra Egypt Discovered the earth was round by looking down a well. Once a year he would see all the way down the well and on that same day he walked to another town and looked down that well and didn't see the bottom. Which meant that the sun was directly above the well and the well in the other town the sun light was hitting the side of the well which didn't let him see down the well. Did you know that that no one knows what the center of the universe? That is just some of the stuff we have been learning in 7th grade science.

Article posted September 24, 2009 at 04:22 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 55

The planets are very interesting to look at. Imagine you're looking at a birds eye view of all nine planets (we'll include Pluto for old times sake). There's a giant, yellow orb that is extremely bright. That's the sun. Next to it is a little tiny red dot. That would be Mercury. Not very far from it is Venus. It is about the same size as Earth, but it's much hotter. After Venus would be Earth, our planet. Next would be Mars, the red planet. We're exploring it as we speak! There's not another planet for a little way, but what are those tiny dots? That's the Asteroid Belt. How did they get there? No one really knows, but what if it was another planet that exploded, but the remains never left our solar system? A further distance away would be Jupiter. It's massive compared to the other planets! It has rings, but they're so faint you can't see them from here. Keep going and we'll come across Saturn. You can see Saturn's rings. A lot farther from Saturn is another gas giant, it's blue, but it's not as big as Jupiter or Saturn. It is Uranus. It's so far away from the sun! But, even further is another blue gas planet, about the same size as Uranus, but it's Neptune. It's a long way between them. Even further is the once-planet Pluto! It's smaller than our moon! You can barely see it from here. But beyond Pluto, we don't know what other planets are out there. There could be thousands more planets, or there could be nothing. We don't know for sure. Did you notice that the planets before the asteroid belt seem to be squished together near the sun? Maybe we'll never know why they're like that. What do you think?

Here's a link to compare the planets!

http://www.sciencenetlinks.com/interactives/messenger/psc/PlanetSize.html

This past week in science class we learned a lot about space. Our Solar System, called Sol, is part of the our galaxy called the Milky Way, and the Milky Way is part of a bunch of galaxies which form our local cluster, and our local cluster is part of a bunch of clusters that form our local super cluster, and it goes on and on and on and on and on and on some more, a few more ons, several more ons, and on. So, Earth is pretty darn small when you put it in perspective! It's just too mind-boggling! If I think about it any more my brain's going to explode, and that won't be pretty because it'll make a big gooey mess on the floor. Okay my brain didn't explode so now I'll tell you about astronomical units, or au's. Au's are a unit of measurement that astronomers developed to help them tell the planets' distance from the sun. One au = distance from earth to sun. So, earth is one au, Neptune is 30 au's, Jupiter is 5.2 au's, etc. Now, lets talk a little about Earth. How did people know the Earth was round? Well, there are several different ways, but I'll tell you a very simple way. First of all, CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS DID NOT DICOVER THE EARTH WAS ROUND=http://=http://=http://! I KNOW, ITS HARD TO BELIEVE BUT HE WAS FULL OF.... OF..... OF.... WELL HE WAS WRONG!!! People first knew the earth was round when watching ships sail out to sea. The would see as the ships slowly disappeared, the bottom of the ship going first and the mast last. Well, they figured out that they were watching as the ships went over the curve of the earth. Now, would you believe that a simple librarian figured out almost the exact size of the earth in B.C. Times?=http://! Well he did, and here's how: One day, a dude called Erastothenes walked down to the localwell. He noticed how the sun shone straight down into the well. Erastothenes then walked to a nearby town and looked into the well there. The sunlight didn't go straight down, it hit the side of the well! He now knew the earth was round. Next, he hired a guy to count the steps in between the two towns, and figured out some mathematical equations (probably involving pi), and got a very close number to the circumference of the earth. Wow! He's a nerd! That's just a small snippet of what we learned this week.

What I learned about planets in science was that the planets are closer to the sun and are smaller than the ones farther away from the sun. Also every planet evolves around the sun. Some planets like Neptune and Uranus are blue! The biggest planet in our solar system is the sun. Uranus is four times larger than the earth. Venus is the planet closest to the sun. Did you also know that is you use certain tools like a heat ray to see planets in different colors

Stars don't twinkle which means our parents have lied to us our whole lives. Light can travel at 186,000 miler per second. Light speed is used to measure large distances between stars. What is our closest star? THE SUN! The next closest sun you ask? Proxima Centauri. It is 4 light years away. Light can travel through a vacuum! Not a cleaning vacum silly! A vacuum is nothing. AU means astronomical units is used to measure the planets.

Space between planets and equations.

0+4/10=0.4 mercury -.4AU

3+4/10=0.1 Venus 0.7 AU

6+4/10=1 Earth 1 AU

12+4/10=1.6 Mars 1.5 AU

24+4/10=2.8 Asteroids

48+4/10=5.2 Jupiter

96+4/10=10 Saturn 9.5

192+4/10=19.6 Uranus 19.2

384+4/10=38.8 Neptune 30.1

768+4/10=77.2 ? Pluto ( dwarf planet) 39.5

so I bet you all are wondering who first discovered that the Earth was round? Well I will tell you in the honest truth Erastothenes a librarian in Egypt found out! Oh how you ask?

Well, he found out that on two days of the year you could see all the way down to the bottom of the well because of the sun. so when he was in a different town on one of the days he went to the well and saw that you couldn't see to the bottom of the well this is because the Earth is round.

So far in science class we have learned many different things starting with telescopes. The reflecting telescope, the Refracting telescope, and the radio telescope. The radio telescope gets radio waves from deep in space, also gathers and focuses by an antenna. The Reflecting telescope has a mirror that reflects and forms the image to our eyes, a curved mirror that gathers light rays, and and eyepiece lens (convex) that magnifies an image to us. And last but not least the Refracting telescopes had objective lens (convex) light gathered and that makes a small image form.

In the space unit so far we have learned that light years is a distance that light travels in one year. Light is the fastest thing that humans know of. Its speed is 186,000 miles/sec. Our closest star is the sun. one way to remember the planets is this little rhyme.

Many

Very

Early

Men

Ate

Juicy

Steaks

Using

Nothing

this is the order of our planets in our galaxy.

Mercury

Venus

Earth

Asteroids

Jupiter

Saturn

Uranus

Neptune

Many~Mercury

Very~Venus

Early~Earth

Men~Mars

Ate~Asteroid belt

Juicy~Jupiter

Steaks~Saturn

Using~Uranus

No~Neptune

Plates~Pluto

Many very early men ate juicy steaks using no plates. That is how I remember the order of the planets. The A stands for Asteroid belt. Even though Pluto isn't considered a planet anymore I still use this mnemonic device because I think it's funny.

We have also learned about telescopes. The are two main types of telescopes and they are the refracting telescopes and reflecting telescopes. There are also many other types of telescopes like radio telescopes.

This is just some of the things we are learning in science class

Hey mom want to know what I am learning in school. I am learning about the planets in science. We have started with the sun and working our way back until the last one. We had a little time line of planets and they all were put together but as we kept going the more they space out and the more in got colder. It Mercury, Venus, Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Pluto. Pluto is even not a planet but we still count it. Mercury is one of the warmest planets all the ones by the sun are very warm planets. Some of the planets are bigger than earth and other ones are smaller. Venus and Earth are almost the same size. Well that's all for now.

You can enter the text of your blog here!

Many Very Early Men Ate Juicy Steaks Using Nothing

e        e      a        a      s     u       a          r        e

r        n       r        r        t      p       t          a        p

c       u       t         s       e      i        u         n        t

u        s      h                 r        t      r          u        u

r                                    o       e     n          s        n

y                                    i         r                           e 

d

B

e

l

t

Did you know that if you line up all the planets including Pluto, then fold it so that Pluto is touching the sun, Uranus is almost in the center.

I have learned about the planets, distances, and our space address in science class. I have also learned that light is the fastest thing known. For space we made a planet road map pointing out how far the planets are away from each other and away from the sun. It also lists the asteroid belt and Pluto.

For the space address, we learned the list starting from Earth all the way up to universe.

Planet-Earth

Solar System- Sun

Galaxy-Milky Way

Gluster-Local

Supercluster-Local

Universe

I've learned that a man named Bode came up with a formula for finding planets. It is first you start with 0 + 4/10= 0.4 mercury. Then double it into a continuum.1 AU = 93,000,000 Mi.

1 light year : 5,869,713,900,000 mi. Closest star Proxima Centauri:23,478,855,600,000 Mi.

Pluto is not a planet. Mercury is the smallest planet. Jupiter is the largest planet.

Space Facts

Eratosthenes was one of the first to find out that the Earth was round. The way he did it was that the sun would shine to the bottom of a well 2 times a year. So he had someone go to a different well on that day and count his steps. When he got there the sun only reached the side of the well. This showed that the earth was round because if the Earth was flat the sun would shine to the bottom. He then calculated it and found the circumference of the Earth.

I've learned a lot of things about space in science class. I've learned a lot about how the planets are very different sizes. A lot of the planets on the outside of the asteroid belt are usually bigger than the ones on the inside of the asteroid belt. Also, I've learned that there's a pattern to where the planets are located. The pattern is, Double the last first number, then add four and divide by ten and you'll get the amount of astronomical units the planet is away from the sun.

In science class I learned many things about the planets. One thing that I was surprised to learn was the size difference between the moon and the sun. The difference in a ratio is 27.7. Also, I didn't know that so many planets were blue. I also learned that Mars is the closest size to Earth (planet wise.) The object that is 5.55 times smaller time than Earth is Pluto.

We also learned about stars. I learned about wandering stars, which scientists call Planets. One of these would be Venus, the evening star. Stars are made up of Helium and Hydrogen and the reason that they are colored differently is because of their different temperatures.

We just had a lesson on Distances. I learned that lightspeed is the fastest thing that we know of. It is 186,000 miles/second. Also, the abbreviation AU stands for Astronomical Units.

The first four planets are Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars. They are close together. The other planets are very far apart. The other planets are Pluto, Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, and Jupiter. Some planets are bigger.

The planets are all different colors and sizes. Like the Sun compared to Pluto. Well the Sun is 625 times larger than Pluto. But when you compare the Sun with Jupiter the sun is only 9.68 times larger than Jupiter. When you compare Jupiter with Pluto, Jupiter is 62.5 time larger than Pluto. The only planet that is almost exactly the same size of earth is Venus. The Earth is 12756km and Venus is 12104km. Two other planets that are almost the same size are Uranus and Neptune. They are both blue and Uranus is 51152km and Neptune is 49620km. Thats not a big difference. All the Planets are different sizes but some of them are pretty close to each other.

(Part 1) Our solar system contains nine planet, and one star, the sun. The first planet nearest to the sun is Mercury, it is 0.4 light years away from the sun, 277 times smaller than the sun and is brown. Second comes Venus, it is 0.7 light years away from the sun, 113 times smaller than the sun and is a dark brown color. Then comes our own planet, Earth, it is 1 light year away from the sun, 108. times smaller than the sun, and is blue, green and brown. Earths moon is 416 times smaller than the sun and is a grayish color. Thirdly comes Mars, 1.5 light years away from the sun it is 208 times smaller then the sun and is a brown color. These four planets are the closest to each other than any of the planets in our solar system.

The Earth and it's surrounding's are very interesting. The Earth, Venus, Mercury, and Mars are actually closer to the sun then you would think. Mercury, the first of the planets is the closest to the sun.

A scientist named Bode was the first person to find out a trick to find how far the planets are from the sun in inches. He did 0 + 4 divided by 10, which came out to 0.4 inches from the sun on a piece of paper, that is for mercury. He continued to do the same thing, but only he went up and did 3 + 4 divided by 10, and then by 6, 12, 24, 46, and so on. After that they found out how far the planets are in space. Some scientists think that Pluto is not a planet because they think that it is one of Neptune's moon's but somehow they collided and bumped each other far away, and that's why they are so far away. The trick that Bode came up with is not quite exact, they think this is because where the calculations add up, where the planets should be are no planets. Like in between Mars and Jupiter there is an asteroid belt.

The planets. Our Solar System is full of planets. The first four planets are very close. Mars and Jupiter are pretty far apart around one AU. After Jupiter all the planets are very spaced out, and they are all gas planets. There is even a pattern about the distance between planets. Our Solar System is packed.

What We Know about Planets

So far this year we have learned a lot about space. We now know our Space Address. In space there are the “Inner Planets.” They are Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars. They are really close to the sun. One astronomical unit is 93,000,000 miles away from the sun. The next 4/5 planets if you count Pluto start stretching away from the sun. The planet that is the closest in size to us is Venus. The closest planet in size to our moon is Mercury. We are in the, “Milky Way” galaxy. The sun is 108 times larger than the Earth.

We learned how people knew the Earth was round. One reason was that when sailboats went over the horizon and knowing that there wasn't a crash, that's one reason. Or if there was a lunar eclipse and we could see the earth's shadow.

The fastest thing we know of is light speed. It is 186,000 miles per hour. If light could curve it could go around the earth 7 ½ times. We use it to measure large distances between stars.