CHJA

Reflection

In social studies we were asked to write an essay regarding the differences between the Roman and the German culture. We were working on our 5 paragraph essay skills. We researched information in our textbooks and wrote it in the form of a five paragraph essay. Some things I did well were the body of my essay was jam packed with details and vocabulary. Some things that I feel I could have done better on is my introduction and conclusion.

Essay

German vs Roman Culture

The Germans culture was different from the culture of the great Roman empire. The Germans were a village society just within the Roman borders. They had a simpler and more warlike way of living. They herded cattle and grew food in a country side area. The Germans and the Romans had different armies, government, cities, and homes.

One comparison between the culture of the Germans and the Romans is the government was incredibly different. The Germans believed laws did not come from the emperor or king, as the Romans believed, but believed that it came from the people. Another way the government is different is the Germans decided innocence from oaths. First someone would get an oath helper that said if its client was guilty or not and swore they were telling the truth. Sometimes though it was decided by ordeal. This meant they would for example, walk over hot coals or put their hand in boiling water to see if the burn would heal in three days. Whereas the Romans did not tie in their religion to deciding innocence or guilt, they had judges who enforced the law on the twelve tablets. In addition, the government is different because the Romans had standardized laws that were fair to everyone, and the laws were equal to everyone.

Another way roman culture was different from German culture is the Romans had different homes and cities. One way they were different is the Germans had thatched-roofed huts with plenty of open space around them. This is similar to the homes of rich or the domus. However more of the population was poor rather than rich so the poor urban people lived in something similar to apartment buildings called islands. These islands were unsanitary and packed with poor people. Another way they are different is the biggest city in all of Rome, called Rome had more than a million people whereas the Germans lived a more rural live style and did not have many cities especially with large populations. The Romans also did not have the type of hospitality that the germans had because the Germans would let anyone in and have a feast, drink, and dance. This tradition was put into German law.

One more comparison is the army was different between the Romans and the Germans. The Roman army was divided into legions, however the German army was divided into clans. Each clan had a chieftain, who was elected to run the clan. Another comparison is the Roman legions and legionaries that worked as a unit and was an organized fighting force. In the legions there were groups that could split up and attack, while the German warriors did have small groups that fought for their chieftain, but did not have organized ways of fighting. Also the Romans had very strong standard equipment, while the Germans had different weapons and various leather armor.

In conclusion the Roman and German culture was very different. The Germans had a simple self-sufficient village life, that was very warlike and at the same time very hospitable, and the Romans were a complicated large trading empire that had a strong, disciplined and organized army.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 02:02 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 52

I researched the battle of Thermopylae. My group divided the work up by giving each one of us a topic to research. I was responsible for the effect of the war. I found information using ebsco and searching into google and finding reliable articles from colleges.

Article posted November 3, 2011 at 03:02 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

Dear Mom and Dad,

Hi, I’ve been having a great time in module 1 in math! We did all sorts of games and activities in class. We also have partners that we work with to solve hard problems.

One thing we did in class is play the difference game. The difference game is when you put cubes on a game board with columns numbered 1-6. You put cubes in those columns based on the result after you roll two dice.

Another one of my favorite things we did module 1 is do our own probability experiments. First I got jolly ranchers and then I put them in a bag and then picked them out and recorded the theoretical and experimental results.

This module was great and now we are starting a new fun unit on problem solving!

We're beginning a new year and we're learning about the eye and early humans. I am looking forward to meeting our new language arts teacher.