Hannah's Blog-

In the Greece, they fast (starve) for 40 days. But the week before christmas greek families start their baking for the holiday. One of the things they bake is Christopsomo a sweeet type of bread. A ornament that represents the family's job is baked into the crust. The  food is served with honey dried fruit and nuts. For the most parrt greek families bake for this BIG holiday.-

Extra Work:

Greece is sorta simliar to my family holiday becase we also do a lot of baking and cooking.

p.s for u ppl..idc ifi dont get the extra points LOL.

Before Christmas dancers and singers went to people doors and sing and dance for six weeks.The holiday begins with a Christmas fest. They play music, people dance and people even do kareokie.  On the 28th of December, Puerto Ricans celebrate Day of the Innocents (Dia de Los Inocentes) a day of fooling people.Starting on Christmas Eve and continuing through the feast of the three kings January 6th, the Puerto Rican families celebrate the Christmas season.

Hungary!

Holiday Traditions happys all over the world. But traditions in hungary are not the same as people in like the US.This is how they are diffrent.Traditional Christmas greetings are ''Kellemes Karacsunji Unnepeket''. If you would like to vist Hungary it is located in central Europe. Some of the stuff they put on there trees a nuts, fruit, slippers, and honey cookies. The type of tree people in Hungary some times pick is traditional.

Mekulash it mean santa. In Hungary Mekulash comes on December 6th. He comes on December 6th because it is St. Nicholas' Day. Children in Hungary live out there boots at there windows so Mekulash can live candy or small gifts in there boots.But  Mekulash always brings one or two evil helpers to fill the bad kids boots with switch. But most of the time  the kids are good and bad. So they would get a gift from Mekulash and a switch from the evil helpers. Thats hungary's Christmas.

What I Think?

I would like to go to Hungary to see what it is like. I also like how they do there christmas. I think this blog was fun.

Article posted January 2, 2012 at 05:50 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 34

In Luxembourg a Christmas tree is not traditional. People give and get presents on December 6th, St. Nicholas day. If kids have been really good St. Nicholas will come the before to give presents. If a kid is bad they will get a knock at the door from Black Peter and he will give you twigs or sticks or black coal. If you are really bad Black Peter will chain kids to his belt and go with the kids kicking and screaming. I think that is really mean.

Article posted January 2, 2012 at 08:22 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 33

The place I have decided to choose for my blog is France. The greeting is "Joyeux Noel". One decoration that they have is the dolls, they represent the various regions in France. The tree type is traditional (the kind we have) ex. pine tree. another decoration is lily colored roses. Another decoration is Garland. This is usually silver or gold. The Christmas season starts on November 11, St. Martins Day. The season ends on Janurary  6 when they have the feast of Epiphany. Advent is 4 weeks long and is the coming of the arrival of Christmas. In the past they would butcher a pig to prepare for the Christmas meal. The Yule Log is tradition back in the 12th century. How you do it is: a family goes to the woods on Christmas eve and selects a tree, they take the wood to the house, pour wine, oil, and salt on it. Prayers and songs are said while they light the log. Sometimes the youngist girl in the house lights the log. These are some things the people in France do around the holidays.

Christmas in Switzerland is alot similar to our Chritmas but really different too. There are 4 traditional Christmas greetings. They are in French, Italian, Swiss-German, and Romansh. In Switzerland, the star treetoppers represent the star of Bethlehem. Only real candles decorate the trees as well as crystal globes to represent light and stars represent light from heaven. The week before Christmas every child in the village dresses up in costumes bringing little gifts. The villages compete with each other when they call people to a midnight mass. After the mass, everyone enjoys big donuts called ringli and some hot chocolate. Gifts are given on December 6th on a day called St. Nicholas Day. Gifts are given by Santa Claus, Father Christmas and his wife Lucy, La Befana, and Sameichiaus. Christklindli is a famous white clad angel in the Swiss-German areas. A veil held in place by a jewel crown covers her face and when she enters each house three candles are lit while she hands out gifts withher child helpers. These are some Christmas traditions in Switzerland.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             I chose Switzerland because I have friends who live there and I never knew how they celebrate Chrismas. When I read this article I was suprised because I thought this country didn't celebrate Cristmas and I learned alot.

One of their triditions is every Christmas they spread clean straw all around the floor. I think that is intresting,  Another fact is St. Nicholas gives the kids coal when the kids are bad.He puts gifts in their shoes. If the gifts are to big for the shoes he even delivers it to them in person! I hope they have a wonderful time at christmas! Thank you for reading my blog about Slovolak Republic!

If a man wants to show his love to someone he would carve a spoon for the person. If the woman agreed on the carvers intention she would hang it on the wall in the kitchen. If someone would hang a mistletoe branch over the door that is belived to keep them safe from storms. Or if they hung it over a babies cradle it would keep the baby safe that is in the cradle.The greeting is "Naldolig Llawen". There tree type is cultual. They hang a hobby horse   "hobbyhorse" which represents a old Celtic tradition.

Belarus

I am doing Belarus for my blog. In Belarus straw is very important. They make their ornaments out of straw, and they put straw on the table to remmind them of the hay that was in Jesus's manger. The hay is also used for fortune telling between Christmas and New Years. Adults pick a piece of straw and that predicts their future, but girls play a game where if two mirrors are put in a position they will see their future husband.I hope you liked my blog!

Article posted January 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

The traditional christmas greeting in Romania is ''Sarbatri Fericite''. They have a traditional christmas tree.They say the christmas tree was a gift from Magi to the christ child and have greatjoy from the way they decorate thier trees. The star on top of the tree represents the star of Magi and the lights are part of any momentous occasion of christian life. On Christmas day, the boys parade goes through the towns and villages carrying a great wooden star decorated with tiny bells, colored paper and ribbons. I think it would be cool going to a different country for Christmas!

Article posted January 12, 2012 at 02:18 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 32

From December 16th to the 24th Guatemalan people have a parade about remembering Joseph and mary looking for shelter. Instead of people celebrating Santa Claus kids reiceve gifts from the Christ Child.They also use wooden boxes and pictures of Gautemalan kids to decorate. On Christmas eve a large rooster is cooked.adults exchange gifts on new year's day.In their langauge "Merry Christmas" is Felize Navidad!

In China, Christmas is very different. A Chistmas tree is called a Tree of Light. The onamnents are also very different, there are fish, giant pandas,a Feng Haung or a phoenix, the golden phesant, and paper lanterns. Relatives exchange flowers and gifts. Santa Claus is called Dun Che Lao Ren, or Old Man Christmas.

In Sweden Christmas starts on December 13. The Christmas season starts after St. Lucia's day and ends 15 days after Christmas! One of their traditions is every Sunday before Christmas a candle is lit in speacial Advent candle holders. The Santa in Sweden is a gnome or Tomte. Christmas started being celebrated in the 1700"s from Germany. They usually put their tree up a few days before Christmas Eve. Two days before Christmas the tree is decorated and stays up until January 13 which is St. Kunts Day. I would love to go to Sweden one Christmas to celebrate Christmas their. It seems like it would be fun to have a certain day to put up a tree and how it stays up until a certain day!

Having a family reunion is a big part of Chistmas in Chile. In Chile they call what we call santa cluse old man or viejito pasuero.In the month of December family's think it is important to do outdoor activities, such as, surfing and rock climbing.9 days before Christmas the people of chile come togather for a spirtiual preparation known as novena.On Christmas eve most familys injoy a meal of chicken soup, potatoes, and bread with candied fruit.

I hope you liked my blog if you would like to learn more about the Christmas tradishions in Chile copy and past this link.

http://www.travour.com/christmas-celebrations/around-the-world/south-america/chile.html

Article posted January 6, 2012 at 01:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

In the Bahamas they celibrate Christmas on the 26th! And New Years on the 1st! Between 2 am and dawn. Also there is a big parade with hundres of people there. I think that is interesting because they don't celibrate it the whole day. I chose the Bahamas because I thought that was a cool place and wanted to know what they did on Christmas and New Years.

Article posted January 6, 2012 at 01:20 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

One Italian Christmas tradition is the Creche which is a Nativity Set. The most beautiful Creche Displays are put in churches where people go to see them. Each year the churches have a test to see which one is the best. The yule log is another tradition in Italy. The yule log must stay on fire until new year's day. Legend has it that the yule log burns away evil of the past year. The legend also says that when everyone is away at midnight mass that Mary comes and warms her new born child by the fire.

Some traditions in the United Kingdom are sugar

mice. In the United Kingdom sugar mice are a traditional treat there. Some decorations there

are Chritmas Crackers/Christmas Boxes/and Toy Soldiers.There traditional christmas greeting is

Merry Christmas.And there tree is Traditional or

a Cultural Tree.My opinion on The United Kindom is that they have good decorations and i wish we

had those kind of decorations.

I am doing Lithuania. The tree type is traditional. Their ornaments are made of white straw. On Christmas morning the kids recieve a visit from father christmas. For the children to recieve their gifts, they must preform a song and a dance.

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 01:34 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

I think the Czech Republic Christmas traditions are interesting because they use branches from cherry trees to predict the future. They put them in a warm corner of their house and hope they blossom before Christmas Day. In the Czech Republic, holiday celebrations begin four weeks before Christmas day. They have recently added a Christmas tree to their traditions. They decorate the tree with fruit ornaments because real fruit is a rare treat in the winter in the Czech Republic. St. Nicholas visits each village on the 6th of December. He is accompanied by a devil and an angel, which represents good and evil. In the Czech Republic, you gather with your family for the three days from December 24th to the 26th.

.

Facts:     Traditonal Christmas Greeting: "Felize Navidad"     Location: South America     Tree Type: Traditional

Decorations: The Museum's Columbian tree is dcorated with lights, baskets of candy, ribbons, fabric dolls and homemade ornaments.

Christmas celebrations in Columbia start in early December with a ceremony in honor of the Virgin Mary. On the evening of December 7th, families light a lot of candles and use them to outline streets, sidewalks, and parks so that entire cities are illuminated. December 8th is a national holiday commemorating the Immaculate Conceptionduring which more candles and prayersare offered to the Virgin Mary. On December 16th, Christmas trees are raised and decorated which starts Novena, which in Columbia involes a nine-day prayer ritual with a rosary in anticipation of Christmas day. While celebrating Christ's birth, groups of families and friends gather each night and pray. Villancicos, Better known as Christmas Carolls, are also sung around the nativity scene that plays a significant part of Columbias Christmas celebrations.Most Columbians attend Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve before returning home for dinner. The Christmas meal often includes a speacial chicken soup called Ajiaco, homemade breads, fritters, roast port and natilla, a cornbased dessert. Presents are brought by "El Nino Jesus" at the bottom of the children's beds by the next morning, and after a relaxing day spent with family, the Christmas season is finished. 

The holiday country I am doing is Italy. They say ''Buon Natale" to greet people  and their tree is the cultural tree. Italy never had christmas trees as a symbol for the Italian Christmas. Christmas Eve is a time to also show artist work of a manger scene. Christmas in Italy has two types Christians do normal traditions  and pre Christians do something called Saturnalia. They also light something called a Yule log which has to stay lighted until New Years Day. This is another tradition with Italy. Another tradition is on January sixth kids put out shoes on the night before the Epiphany and an old women comes around Italy on a broom and leaves toys for the children, but only if they are good if they are bad she leaves hot lumps of coal for them. I love how theydo there traditions because they have so many! I hope you liked the information about Italy as much as I did!

Article posted January 14, 2012 at 01:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I picked Hawaii because I think it is a really really cool state and I would love to learn more about it! The poinsettia grows on islands which is considered the Christmas flower. One unique tradition which is Christmas luau which features the kalua pig. Poi balls are white and braided yarn in New Zealand for woman dancing. I think this is a verry cool tradition. :)

Egypt's tree is designed to bring out the Egyptian and Coptic Church culture. Pyramids on a tree represents their antiquity. The ankh another traditional ornament, this is the Egyptain symbol for life. The Coptic Church follows eastern rites of Christianity. I think it would be cool to expierence a holiday there.

In Korea churches split into small groups and gose carolling from midnight to 5:00 am.

The Slovak Replublic Traditions

The Slovak Republic is located in Central Europe and thier traditional Christmas greeting is, "Vasele Vianoce A stastkivy Novy Rok." Cecorations on a Traditional Christmas Tree are onaments that are colored to represent the national colors of the Solvokia flag.  A tradition the Slovak Republic holds is buying nuts, poppyseeds, and flour all necessary for holiday baking.  Another tradition is St. Nicholas (known as Mikulas in this country)  visits homes on December 6 and gives candies, chocolates, nuts, and speacial fruits.  If they were bad, they would get coal.  The presents would be put in their shoes or given to them if he were to come in the house.  In the slovak Republic, duruing Christmas time, it is time for them to reconciliate.  Families, friends, and neighbors also return borrowed items to thier owner. Christmas Eve morning the women clean the whole house, paint the floor under the table whitewash, and chain the chair legs together to symblize families being tied together in unity.  On Christmas Eve (Vilija) the mother puts a white tablecloth opver the table to symlify Baby Jesus swaddling in cloth.  On the middle of the table, the mother places a round loaf of bread to symbolize Jesus being the Bread of Life.  Next to the round bread sits a candle which symbolizes the star of Bethlehem.  The father of the household carries in clean straw and spreads it around the floor of his house. This symbolizes the the straw of the manger.  The family washes their hands and faces in a well or stream before eating the supper made.  These things are done in rememberance of the story that the shepherds washed themselves before going to see Baby Jesus laying in the manger.

I am doing my blog on Germany! Germany was the first country to use the glass ornaments as decoration. Families in Germany make the glass bolbs and sell them. People have the winter market at the beging of Advent season and they sell candy and gingerbeard. Also the tradition of the cristmas tree started in Germany. A preacher cut down a oke tree and it hit all the tree except a firtree this fir was the tree of crist that is why it is associated with cristmas. Some Germans hide the last ornament and call it the cristmas pickle and the first kid to find it on cristmas get a extra gigt. I think that ermany is so cool and I can not wait to learn more!

Article posted January 13, 2012 at 02:41 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Prince Albert brought the first Christmas tree to England in 1841 to be decorated in Windsor Castle by his wife, Queen Victoria, and their children.  From then on, the holiday caught on.  The English Santa is called Father Christmas.  The children send his letters to him by burning them in th fireplace.  On Christmas Eve they leave a carrot for the reindeer and mince pies and brandy for Father Christmas.  The day after Christmas starts the country's 12 days of Christmas.  It is called Boxing Days and is when all the leftovers and presents are given to teh poor.  It's the day that servants were given off to celebrate with their families, and it was also the day that working people opened their tip boxes.  For the next 12 days there were parties, kid's musicals and plays, and other kinds of entertainment.  

The  Christmas Season  for France starts on Saint Martin's day. And ends on January 6. They have a big feast on January 6, called Epiphany. One tradition is called the Yule Log tradition. It's when the family goes and picks a big Christmas tree and cuts it down  together. The family cicles the log three times and places it in the fire place. They take a glass of wine with oil and salt and pour it on the log. I think its strange that right when they cut down the tree they take it home and burn it. But I know traditions are differrent in different states.  It might seem weird but it's cool to learn new things!

Egypt's Holiday Traditions:

Here is some infomation about what I learned about what Egypt does for their holiday tradition. Egypt's Holiday Greeting is "Merry Christmas", Joyeux Noel" in French, and "I 'D Miilad Said Oua Saida" in Arabic. The location is Africa, and the tree type is cultural.  Some of Egypt's decorations are designed, and reflect both the ideals of Coptic Church, and Egyptain Culture. The pyramid on their cultural tree is one of the decorations. It represents Egypt's antiquity while the ankh. The ankh serves as a symbol of the cross for the Coptic Church, which follows the eastern rites of Chirstianity. It and the images of saints found on the Museum's Egyptain tree are traditional symbols of the Coptic Church. Another decoration that Egypt has on their tree is the Ancient Egyptain Symbol for Life. It represents the blending of modernity and old custom's in Egypt. Some of the Traditions are that their Christmas is preceded by 40 days of fasting for strict members of the Coptic Church.The Christians in the Coptic Church eat any kind of animal products during the month of December. When it is Christmas Eve (January 6th), people go to church for the evening survice dressed in new clothes and find hundreds of candles illuminating the building in honor of the candles Jesus lit to keep the Virgin Mary catching cold on the night of the Nativity. On Christmas Morning, friends and family visit, and share a shortbread called kaik and a drink called Shortbat. I think that Egyptians have a fun, and wonderful Christmas. I think I would like to go there one day, and see their Christmas Traditions. 

Some of Egypt's Tradition Pictures:

The Danish tree is adorend with Hand made paper ornaments. Up in Denmark, the days are long, I mean really long, so the trees get more time to grow. This results in space between the brances, so that candles can be placed on the tree. On Chistmas Eve, most of the presants are opened. On Chistmas day, the Danes have a who-can-find-the-alomond-in-the-rice pudding contest. The winner gets a marsapin pig. They dance around the tree, singing Danish carols, and have wild goose or turkey for dinner. In my opinion, Denmark has the merriest Chistmas of all. No wonder. They used to be the happiest contry in the world.  

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 33

Kyrgyzstan

Kyrgyzstans traditional greeting is Hristos Razdajetsja. Kyrgyzstan is kyrgyz and does not celebrate christmas, but they do celebrate the eastern orthodox, or Рождество Христово.Kyrgyzstan has very many traditions but none have to with there local holidays

In Iceland, some of their traditions are hanging snow flake ornaments to represent christmas snow. A really cool tradition is they put out little elves to represent christmas goblins or elves and they are called, Jolasveninar.Also they hang candals made of mutton tallow on a tree by fastning them down with wire.The seson starts 13 days before christmas day. According to 13 century legend, two ogres lived in the mountains and the womans name was Gryla and her husbands name was and Gryla went from house to house begging food. At Christmas time, she stole children that had been bad during the past year. In 1746 the king of Iceland forbade the telling of this folk tale. From then on, the children (Jolasveinar) of the two ogres became associated with the Christmas season.

The Bahamas celebrate a christmas called Junkanno on December 26th and January 1st.  They also have a huge parade with hundreds of people dancing, music and really cool costumes.  Participants are put into a group with up to 1000 people.  Who come up with their own theme and decorations competing for prizes such as money.  The costumes are an absolute secret and the groups usually spend a year getting the supplies.  They celebrate Junkanno because Caribbean slaves were given several days off to spend Christmas with their families.

"Felive Navidad!"  That is how people in Ecuador say "Merry Christmas!"  Every ever green Tree (Christmas tree) in ecuadr have two decorations that are exactly alike... two DOLLS!  One doll holds Ecuadors flag, and the other holds a baby in a basket which represents the Chola Cuencan.  Some of the traditions Ecuadorians have is for Children to put there Christmas list's in there shoe and Papa Noel (Santa Claus) would read it and put some of the items in the shoe for the children.   A treat that some families would have on Christmas Day would be a special cookie made with maple syrup called Prstinos.  I think that having an Ecuadorian Christmas would STINK=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://!!!  Becuase I'm used to having a normal American Christmas.

Christmas In Bosnia

In Bosnia people decorate their trees with toys, chocolate, lights and colored balls. Traditionally the trees are toped with a star. People who live in Bosnia celebrate with their family like many people do. The three sundays leading up to christmas are dedicated to children. The familys eat dinner with each other every day leading up to christmas. I like the idea of the three  sundays leading up to christmas are dedicated to children.

The country I am doing is Belize. Belize celebrates Christmas by putting boats on their Christmas tree's these boats represent the amazing fishing industry. In Belize people celebrate by going to dances and dinners. Belize was adopted by a British colony they also do celebrate American holiday's. Boxing Day is the day after Christmas people dance and sing up and down the streets. People of many ages Waltz and Foxtrot at a Grand Ball on New Year's Eve. I have told you many of the ways that Belize celebrates the holiday called Christmas.

Hi Im doing wales. The welsh love spoons. this represents a unique tradition of wales.When a boy wanted to show his love he would carve a wooden spoon.The desighns show the carvers intetions to the girl he loves. Ten the girl would hang the spoon on the wall

Felize Navidad! That's Colombia's traditional Christmas greeting! The tree type is a traditional. The tree could be lights, ribbons, homemade ornaments, fabric dolls, and even baskets of candy! 90% of the people in Colombia are Roman Catholic. That's a lot of people that celebrate Christmas! On December 7th (in the evening), Colombians get candles and outline the streets, sidewalks, and parks. They set up Christmas trees on December 16th, and do prayers untill Christmas day. Colombians go and sing villancicos (Christmas carols) with friends and family as a Colombia tridition. Lots of Colombians go to midnight mass on Christmas Eve. "El Nino Jesus"  brings presents to the Colombian children. Instead of under the tree, he puts them at the foot of their beds. After that day, the Christmas seoson is over. I wouldn't mind having Chistmas in Colombia, it's just like mine, but I like theirs a little bit better. The reason being is because Colombians have lots more traditions that they do then my family. It would be cool to try out different traditions from different places.

Luxembourg

I have chosen to study the holiday traditions from the country of Luxembourg. Luxembourg is located in Western Europe if you plan on going there. The people of Luxembourg give presents to each other on December 6 which is St. Nicholas Day. The traditional greeting is ''Joyeux Noel''. The Christmas tree is not a holiday tradition and if they use one it would be the Cultural type. All Christmases have a Santa right? St. Nicholas is the Santa for people in Luxembourg. He leaves candy and gifts if you have been good. If you haven't been good Black Peter comes. He gives you twigs, sticks and of course some coal. If you have been really bad he chains you up to his belt and carries you away. I think that the traditions of Luxembourg are very interesting and I have enjoyed learning about it.

During Christmas in Argentina the weather is warm. The locals in Argentina use christmas trees just like American but there is a very large variety other than the common fir.  People in Argentina like putting cotton balls on their trees. They do this to repersent snow.  The average dish ate around Christmas is roasted turkey and pudding. Like the Chinese, locals in Argentina use Chinese lanterns on Christmas Eve. Another tradition is to watch fireworks at night. I wish I could hang lanterns and watch fireworks it sounds really cool.The main languge spoken in Argentina is spanish. With that in mind Feliz Navidad!

Scotland

Christmas is observed quietly with family and religious services.Christmas and New Years are totaly different.On Years day (Hogmany) they hope good wishings to there friends for the New Year. They have a First Foot that perdicts the luck for the family during the New Year. Men with dark hair they have good luck and must bring a gift to the host and the host offers the first person a small drink or treat that must be eaten in one swallow.

Happy New Year

Holland Traditions For  Christmas

Holland has many tradions on their Christmas. Holland has a similar belief in Santa Claus except  their  Santa is called Sinterklaas. Sinterklaas  journeys in a boat to Holland with his elf named Black Peter. On December 5th or in Holland Known as Sinterklaas Eve presents are exchanged.  Where Does SinterKlaas live? If you asked any child that  question  they would of course say Mexico. I think that Holland's Christmas is cool and I think I would enjoy celeabrating  their christmas. 

For my christmas blog I am doing Hawii! The traditional Christmas greeting in Hawii is "Mele Kalikimaka". The decorations on their tree symbolizes traditional Hawiian pastimes and wonders of Hawii. Poi balls are white balls on braided yarn used in New Zealand by women for dancing.  Most Christmas traditions practiced in Hawaii come from the traditions brought to the islands by the missionaries of the 19th century. One unique tradition is the Christmas luau, which features the Kalua pig as itain course. The poinsettia, which grows on the islands, is considered the Christmas flower. Kanakaloka is what their santa is called down in Hawaii. I wish my Christmas wasnt and was like this. I think they  enjoy their down there in Hawaii.

Article posted January 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

Germany was the first to use glass ornaments. Local people made them. Christmas began in Germany. Martin Luther King loved

Germany.

Nertherlands is not a good place to be at for christmas. The greeting in the Nerhterlands is Zalig Kerstfeest" or "Vrolijk Kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar, The name of santa there is St. Nicholas (Sinter klaas), he come on a white horse dressed in a red bishops robes. Black peter  (Sarte Piet) helps santa hit bad kids with a birch rod. If the kid has been good they will find small toys nuts and candy in thre shoes.There tree is a Traditional / Cultural tree. I am glad this is not s part of my christmas, are you?

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 04:42 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 33

Madagascar is a very festive place. Even though its hot in Madagascar around chritmas they still have the commen  decorations of holly and bells. Most people only exchange small presents here. On Christmas their curch hours last untill 5 in the morning. On Christmas day everyone greets each other ( even stragers). In Madagascar Santa Clause is called Dadabe Noely. The aficial languge is Malagasy. Merry Chritmas and happy New Year in Malagasy is Krismasy sambatra sy Taona vaovao tonga lafatra ho anao'.Poinsettias also grow as large outdoor shrubs in Madagascar and don't just flower at Christmas! They are also the national emblem of Madagascar.A special Christmas food in Madagascar are fresh lychees, which are bought from shops and street sellers, fresh from the trees. The streets get covered in lychee skins!Madagascan families like to eat Christmas dinner together in large groups and dress up in the best (or new) clothes. The meal is normally Chicken or Pork with rice followed by a special cake. Some rich people go to restaurants for Christmas dinner, but most people stay at home with their families. I wish that we could have a warm chritmas. I think the kids there would like to see snow.  Her is a famous cristmas carol.             

Avia ry mino! Hifaly sy hihoby,

Avia, avia hankany Betlehema;

Teraka Jeso tompon'ny anjely

Avia hitsaoka Azy (x3) izay Tomponao

Tompon'ny Tompo, Andriananahary.

Nefa mba zana-behivavy koa

Zanak'I Maria, nefa Zanahary;

Avia hitsaoka Azy (x3) izay Tomponao

Derao ry anjely, mohobia mafy,

Ry mponina an-danitra ao ambony ao

Dera sy laza atolory Azy

Avia hitsaoka Azy (x3) izayTomponao

He arahaba, tonga aty an-tany

Ny Tompo Mpamonjy sy Mpanjaka koa,

Tenin'ny Rainy voatafy nofo,

Avia hitsaoka Azy (x3) izay Tomponao!

This poem is very popular with all Malagasy Children:

Krismasy re no tonga (Christmas is coming)

Falifaly ny kilonga (Children are happy)

Krismasy tena fety (Chrismas is really a feast)

Ho an'ny kely sy vaventy (For littles and for adults)

http://www.whychristmas.com/cultures/madagascar.shtml

In Italy, Christmas starts 8 days before Christmas. Instead of the kids believing in Santa, they believe in a person called Befana. Befana is a witch like person who they believe is in the Christmas story. In the Christmas story, she refused to go with the wise men at first. Later, she saw the star and decided to take toys to the baby Jesus but could not find him. Now, she brings toys to all good children each year.

Christmas decorations like nativity scenes and lights are becoming more popular in Italy. Sometimes the children of Italy dress up like shepherds and go from house to house playing music on pipes. I think many things are similar about our Christmas and their Christmas, like putting up decorations and Christmas trees, and getting presents.

Article posted January 5, 2012 at 01:30 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

In Mexico the traditional christmas greeting is "Felize Navida", the location is in Central America and the christmas tree is cultural. The decorations are red and white poinsettins and candles. Here are some traditions in Mexico, the christmas season starts on december 16th. Presebre can be as simple as three figures making a holy family or as hard as the entire bethlehem.Children are given blindfolds and a turn to hit The pinata. The flower of The Blessed Night is the poinsettia it resemble the star of Bethlehem.I wish we did this in the USA. 

hi i am doing iceland

In Norway there festivities begin weeks before the holiday. The people in norway will start brewing beer (Juleil) this beer is like the beer that the Old Norse would drink in midwinter in the celebration of joulu. This holiday is the festival of lights making the change of winter in to spring. On this day the Vikings would have a toast (skal) and wish each other peace and a good fortune for the next year. In the year of the 900s King Haakon said that all the celebrations would be held to the new celebration that was named Christmas. Before the holiday people would make there decorations and cook pork and seven different flavored cakes. on December 13th is contained the longest night of the year and is also the night of Lussinatten. I like this night because the people from Norway believe all the animals can talk to like goblins, trolls, gnomes and along with the famous one Lossi. The first celebration in Christmas is St. Lucia day. It is the first celebration with light. A little girl dresses up in a white robe and wears a crown of candles on her head

The country I am doing is Greece. Their decorations that go on their tree symbolize the real gifts on the family trees.The Christmas season begins with 40 days of fasting. The week before Christmas, Greek families begin baking. One of the baked items is the Christ's bread (Christopsomo), sweet bread made into large loaves of various shapes.The remainder of the loaf is divided among the family. Before those pieces are eaten, each member dips his piece in wine and prays to St. Basil. The children believe that St. Basil gives gifts to them.

Article posted January 13, 2012 at 02:35 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

For this blog assingment I am doing Russia. Most Christian Russians belong to the Eastern Orthodox Church, and it is coustumary to fast until after the first church service on January 6, Christmas Eve. On Christmas Eve a traditional meal called: " The Holy Supper" is served. The meal begins when the first evening star appears in the sky. The family gathers around the table to honer the coming of the Christ Child. A white tablecloth, symbolic of Christ's swaddleing clothes covers the table. I like how the Russains wait until the first evening star appears in the sky to start the Holy Supper. I also like how they fast until after the first chuch sevice on January 6.

''Hyvaa Joulua'' means Merry Christmas! There christmas season begins in october when groups get together and begin making christmas decorations. on the first sunday of advent the traditional song,voggler's ''hosanna'' is played in all the churches. In most of there homes there are four advent candles,also on the tables are crosses carved of wood or the crosses of St.Thomas. They have a Christmas Eve festivities. on christmas Eve they place candles on the graves. Also  the day after christmas they celebrate st. stephens's day.I would not want to do that for christmas  like putting candles on the graves I would not want to do.

Article posted January 2, 2012 at 08:41 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

In Japan they say Merry Christmas like this  "Shinnen Omedeto". They make their Christmas ornaments out of paper also known as oragami. Cranes show a symbol of peace and long life. Santa Claus in Japan is considered to be on of the gods or priests. Children are told that he has eyes in the back of his head so when they here he is near they start behaving. On July 7th they decorate a bamboo tree for Tanabata or quite literally. When they have a clean house the father leads the rest of the family around the house throwing dried beans in their finest clothes.Crane origami, Tanabata,Dried beans.

Comment Please...

In Zimbabwe most peole there go to church service on christmas day before they do anything else. After church they have partys at differant houses. Visiting all there family and friends as the head to their house. Some people there get their biggest speakers and then the start playing their favorite music very load. They wear they best clothes on christmas every year. It is differant for families because the only new clothes they get every year are clothes for christmas. Children from Zimbabwe belives that santa claus brings them presents early in the morning. The special food that they eat in Zimbabwe is chickin with rice. I would not want to live in Zimbabwe I could not take one day there. If I lived there I think I would trie get away from there. I don't like their traditions.

My name is hannah and i like ice cream.I also love to play vollyball.