Happy EOGS-

Flip 05/15/12
Google 04/26/12
books books books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 04/26/12
The Book and Scrolls 04/23/12
Cats 04/20/12
How To 04/20/12
Shout out 04/19/12
sleep over 04/19/12
!!!Spring Break 04/04/12
Ocelots 03/22/12
Narwhals 03/13/12
Mother road (epic) 03/12/12
WEEEKNDS 03/12/12
Code 03/12/12
Time Travel 03/12/12
Narwhals 03/05/12
03/01/12
More on Mousey 03/01/12
Thoughts On Poetry 02/20/12
My two favorite poems 02/09/12
Why do cats like catnip? 01/23/12
Mousey 01/05/12
Argentina 01/04/12
Mousey 12/02/11
George Washington Spy Master 12/02/11
Naturlist intellengence 12/02/11
Different hamster 10/31/11
new hamster 10/26/11
Smartville 10/26/11
How I am smart 10/21/11
my new hamster 10/15/11
More about cats 10/12/11
The sliver state 10/12/11
hamster 09/23/11
Halloween 09/20/11
animal chosen 09/20/11
Harry Potter Book 5 09/20/11
New pet 09/16/11
Great Friends 09/16/11
Read -a- thon 09/14/11
Hamster Name 09/14/11
New Fish 09/13/11
Calvin and Hobbes 09/12/11
Cat facts 09/09/11
Book 09/09/11
Great Weekend 09/09/11
cute hamster 09/09/11
All about me 09/08/11

Grab your pillow and head to Wonderopolis. We’re having a slumber party!

Have you ever wondered…

• Do you sleep at a slumber party?

• What do you like to do at a slumber party?

• How can you make your slumber party great?

Did you know?

Whether it’s for a special occasion, such as a birthday party, or just to spend quality time with friends, there’s nothing quite like a slumber party. Sometimes called pajama parties or sleepovers, slumber parties are usually more party and less slumber!

There’s no end to the things you can do at a slumber party. Here are just a few things that many kids look forward to at a slumber party:

• making delicious snacks, such as cookies

• watching movies

• listening to music and singing along with your favorite songs

• playing card games or board games

• painting your fingernails and toenails

• trying out new hairstyles

• making craft projects

• staying up as late as possible sharing secrets

The list could go on and on! That last part, though — staying up as late as possible — is always a fun part of any slumber party. Staying up past your bedtime is fun, but doing so with your friends is even better.

Even the hardest slumber partiers eventually give in to sleep. So slumber is actually a part of a slumber party, but it’s usually a very minor and often very short part of it!

Sometimes slumber parties start off away from the house. You and your friends might decide to go out to a movie or to go skating first before heading home to stay up as late as possible. And slumber parties don’t actually have to be inside the house either. You can have them in a tent in the backyard too!

You’ll want to make sure your friends bring some stuff from home with them, so that they feel comfortable at your party. For example, they might want to bring their pajamas, a pillow and maybe even a sleeping bag. They might also have movies, music or games they would like to share.

Just beware that lack of sleep can make children grumpy the next morning. Here are a few tips you can use to make sure that everyone — including Mom and Dad — have a great experience at your next slumber party:

• Invite just a few friends for a slumber party. Too many people can be hard to control.

• Let everyone know the rules before you get your night started. If Mom and Dad say bedtime is midnight, then let everyone know that’s what’s expected of them.

• Plan a quiet day for the day after a slumber party. Let everyone sleep in as much as possible and plan any activities for later in the day. You might want to set aside a mandatory “nap time,” too!

Try it out!

Ready to plan your own slumber party? Having friends over for a sleepover can be lots of fun. But it takes a little planning to make it extra special.

First, you’ll need to decide who you want to invite to spend the night. Choose just a few close friends and then make some homemade slumber party invitations to give them all the details.

Be sure to include the date, the time you want them to show up, what time they’ll go home the next day and what they need to bring. You should also probably ask them have their parents call your parents to make sure it’s OK to sleep over.

When your guest list and invitations are completed, it’s time to think about fun activities you can do at your party. Do you want to have a theme slumber party? For example, you could have a scary movie marathon, have a staycation with friends, or plan a scavenger hunt!

Your slumber party can be as fun as your imagination (and your parents!) will allow. Fun activities can include listening to music, watching movies, painting your fingernails and toenails, doing your hair and fixing delicious snacks in the kitchen.

We hope you have a WONDERful slumber party! If you want to tell your Wonder Friends all about it, share photos and memories from your slumber party on Facebook!

Wonder words to know and use:

• slumber

• occasion

• quality

• pajama

• sleepover

• delicious

• grumpy

• mandatory

Still wondering?

Playing games is one fun thing to do at a slumber party. Check out Illuminations’ Concentration interactive to play the classic game of Concentration.

Wonder what’s next?

If you check out tomorrow’s Wonder of the Day, we think it’ll come back to you over and over again!

Article posted April 19, 2012 at 08:17 AM • comment • Reads 47 • see all articles

Hi my name is Ellen. I love poetry.