Happy EOGS-

Flip 05/15/12
Google 04/26/12
books books books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 04/26/12
The Book and Scrolls 04/23/12
Cats 04/20/12
How To 04/20/12
Shout out 04/19/12
sleep over 04/19/12
!!!Spring Break 04/04/12
Ocelots 03/22/12
Narwhals 03/13/12
Mother road (epic) 03/12/12
WEEEKNDS 03/12/12
Code 03/12/12
Time Travel 03/12/12
Narwhals 03/05/12
03/01/12
More on Mousey 03/01/12
Thoughts On Poetry 02/20/12
My two favorite poems 02/09/12
Why do cats like catnip? 01/23/12
Mousey 01/05/12
Argentina 01/04/12
Mousey 12/02/11
George Washington Spy Master 12/02/11
Naturlist intellengence 12/02/11
Different hamster 10/31/11
new hamster 10/26/11
Smartville 10/26/11
How I am smart 10/21/11
my new hamster 10/15/11
More about cats 10/12/11
The sliver state 10/12/11
hamster 09/23/11
Halloween 09/20/11
animal chosen 09/20/11
Harry Potter Book 5 09/20/11
New pet 09/16/11
Great Friends 09/16/11
Read -a- thon 09/14/11
Hamster Name 09/14/11
New Fish 09/13/11
Calvin and Hobbes 09/12/11
Cat facts 09/09/11
Book 09/09/11
Great Weekend 09/09/11
cute hamster 09/09/11
All about me 09/08/11

When people think of sushi they automatically think of raw fish. They think if they go into the ocean and get a fish that is sushi. WRONG!  The specific term for raw  fish is sashimi and its not the same thing as sushi. Sushi doesn't have to have fish at all! The key ingriedient to sushi is sticky rice and seaweed. They put the sticky rice onto the seaweed.  In the fourth century B.C. sushi beghan as a way to preserve raw fish. This preservation made its way to Japan.  The japanese word sushi was defined "sour" or "vinegary".                                                                                                                                                                                      3 wonder words:                                                                                                                                         I have a huge appetite    french fries.

Sushi is one of my favorite foods.

ingridient- something used to make it!

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 01:51 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

We all know that giraffe necks are really really long so here are some facts.Male giraffes whip their necks around their big heavy skulls like clubs. Since these shorter creatures pick over food at a lower level, giraffes' nacks allow thaem to reach food and nutrients that others cannot. The giraffe’s long neck can reach more than 7 feet in length, which means it makes up nearly half of its overall height.Giraffes have very few predators. Besides humans, giraffes are hunted only by lions and crocodiles. A baby giraffe is between five and six feet tall when it is born — about the height of an average adult human! Giraffes can feed close to the ground, too, but h has shown that they prefer to eat at heights between 7 and 14 feet.

Habitat - A place where a animal stays/sleeps in the winter.

Nutrients - A thing that a animal needs to survive.

Predator - An anmal thats trys / kills an animal to eat.

I call dib’s for how do teachers get so smart?

You may be asking your self how do teachers get so smart. Well  a president in the south part of Africa once said“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” That was said by Nelson Mandela. Teaching can be challenging. But wonderopolis sayes it all so can be rewarding. Do you think teachers don't have homework well you should think again. Teachers have a lot a homework because they have to memories all the stuff they teach us. Teachers also have to do homework on the week end because they have to put grades on test,class work, and homework. They have a big job.

I picked this aritical because when I grow up I want to be a teacher. This can effect the way lern.

•  

• tribute= gives too

• appreciate=Thinks of them

• superhuman= powerful human

I did Where do Worms go in Winter. There is 4400 different types of worms in the world. 2700 worms are earthworms. Some worms die in the winter, because they can't dig far enough in the ground. The only reason we still have worms is because when worms lay eggs in the Winter the cold air can't get through the shell. This topic I chose can affect other because worms help gardens and if you have a garden and there were no worms it would be kinda hard for the garden to grow.

Groundwater-Groundwater is water that is in the ground.

Estimated-Estimated is a logical guess.

Hibernate-Hibernate is when animals go to sleep in Winter and wake up in Spring.

Have you ever witnessed Dèjá Vu? Déjá Vu is when you think you have seen or heard something before. Dèjá Vu means "already seen" in French. When you have dèjá vu you can't figure out where it came from, usually people think it was in a dream. Dèjá Vu was invented by Emile Boirac. I chose this because I witness Dèjá Vu a lot. Usually it happens to me once or twice a month. 

Familiar: commonly or generally known or seen.

Eerie: uncanny, so as to inspire superstitious fear; weird.

Glimpse: a very brief, passing look, sight or view.

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 12:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 50

Sorry guys, but "do you ever witness Déjà Vu? DO NOT USE THIS ONE!

Why does a strawberry have seeds on the outside? The answer is easy, strawberries aren't real berries. Real berries have seeds on the inside like blueberries and cranberries. A strawberry is really a big part of the plant called the stamen. Each seed is really a fruit that has another seed inside of it. Although I do not want to be this, a good carer choice for this article is a farmer because it talks about harvesting strawberries. This topic affects me because I love strawberries and now that I read this, I know what I am eating is not atually fruit.

Vocab Words

Shortcake - A type of cake.

Botanist - A person who studies plants.

Clone - An excact replica of someone or something.

I am doing who made weekends? No one knows about who made it but we do know that we get two whole days of no school! thats good for kids. Some adults stil have to go to work on a saturday and sunday but i go to church on sundays. I would rather spend time in church and quit my job then keep my job and not go to church. Saturday is a free day for kids=http://!!

What happens when you don't brush your teeth? Well the sugar that is left on your teeth breaks down enamel (the first layer of coating on your teeth) and will cause little holes in your teeth called cavities.If you don't brush your teeth regularly plaque will build up. To remove plaque you have to brush your teeth. Plaque can cause a gum disease called "gingivitis." The emporor of China invented the toothbrush only using bristles from a pigs back and bamboo. Before toothbrushes people use to usse sticks and they would sharpen the stick with their teeth and they could use it as a toothpick.

Wonder Words:

Enamel: I think enamel is is the outer coating on your teeth.

Cavities: I think cavities are holes in your teeth that can hold bacteria.

Gingivitis: I think gingivitis is a disease that is caused by plaque build up.

This topic is kind of aboust what I want to be when I grow up. That is a dentist.This topic relates to being a dentist because the dentist is always telling you to brush your teeth and why.

I did can fortune cookies predict the future. Not everyone agrees on who invented the fortune cookie. Some say it was Makoto Hagiwara or they say David Jung invented the fortune cookie. Fortune cookies do not really predict the  future but some say they do. The largest fortune cookie making business is Wonton Food Inc. they ship about 60 million a year. They are made in a machine today. I love fortune cookies. 

Chopsticks- A tool used for eating chinese or Japanese food usually.

Origami- A chinese craft which uses square colorful paper.

Lo mein- A chinese food. That is yummy

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 10:09 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 55

Igot dibs on can fortone cookies predict the future=http://=http://!!!! yea i do 

Prairie dogs aren't really dogs at all they are rodents. Prairie dogs live underground in burrows and live in grasslands or prairies of western North America. Prairie dogs aren't realated to dogs at all they are mostly realated to squirrels. Prairie dogs are about the size of rabbits. I could use this artical if I turn out to be a vet and a person brings in a prairie dog I would know some about them.

Burrow- A burrow is a hole underground that animals live in.

Predator- A predator is an animal that eats and hunts other animals.

Bark- A bark is a sound that dogs make.

Who is Uncle Sam? Uncle Sam was first thought of by a meat packer in 1812 by Samuel Wilson. Uncle Sam was on posters for World War 1 and 2. But who drew Uncle Sam First?  Nobody knows for sure but the famous Thomas Nast who worked as a political cartoon artist was one of the many people to draw Uncle Sam! Uncle Sam is the United States as a person. He wears red,white, and blue suit and a top hat!

Vocabulary words

Uncle - your mother or fathers brother

Government - the system that manges the states

Cartoon - an animation

Have you ever wondered if ghosts from ghost stories are real? I have! Some people belive in ghosts and some people don't, but either way, ghost strories are fun to tell, listen to, and be scared by! Ghost stories were probaly created when fire was discovered! The primitive man had no way of communicating, so they told stories. One well known ghost story is A Christmas Carol, and another one is The Legened of Sleepy Hollow.Some well knocryptids that somtimes feature in ghost stories (even though tey're not ghosts) are Bigfoot and Big Nesse/The Loch Ness Monster. This cuold affect some grown ups in two ways. One: telling ghost stories to kids, two: in a career/hobby as a ghost buster!

Spooky - Scary and haunting.

Tradition - Annual; once every year.

Spine- A bone in the back of your body that runs from your neck, down to your pelvis.

I call do dogs really eat homework?

Have you ever wondered if dogs eat homework? Well if you have always been wanting to know the answer is yes. Dogs do eat homework mostly because they're bored. Most  dogs need entertainment to keep them busy. Dogs are mostly known to be indiscriminate eaters which means that they have healthy appetites. This also means that when dogs get the chance they eat just about anything. It can also be dangerous to feed your dog human foods and table scraps. Like grapes and raisins can make a dog have kidney failures. Another thing is onions and garlic this can develop a condition called anemia which causes dogs to have red blood cells. I think this could help out anyone who wants to be a veternarian because they can know whats good for dogs and whats bad for dogs.

Defenitions-

Boredom- When somebody gets bored is when they don't have anything to do

Avoided- is something you can stop from doing

Honesty- be honest to your teacher if your dog didn't really eat your homework

Article posted March 12, 2012 at 07:20 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 47

This is hard to imagen but salt long ago was worth as much as gold. Have you ever heard someone say '' worth its salt'' to another person this means they think of them as great value.This saying came from the Ancient Romans.Now you can buy salt for very low prices but almost 8,000 years ago salt was very hard to get.Salt is something that are bodys need to function properly but long ago many places in the world were not able to produce it.We all can relate to this because almost every thing wwe eat has salt in it. We do need salt to live but to much of it can be a problem and it can hurt your heart.

refrigeration- I think refrigration means to leave something in the refregarator.

•chemical- I think that chemical means something that is sometimes danguors and is differnt things mixed togather.

•evaporating- I think that eveporating means when water is soaked up by the sun

Dr. James Naismith invented Basketball in 1891, Naismith was a Canadian physical educater instructor. At first, players earned points by tossing or throwing a Soccer ball into a peach basket. Once they had made the ball in the basket, one person would climb on a ladder and grab the ball and start playing again. The iron hoops with open-ended nets didn't come along until 1913.

Dribble- To dribble you have to have one hand on the ball, then push it to the ground and repeat that, but when you pick the ball up you can't dribble any more.

Slam Dunk- To slam dunk you need to jump up in the air either have one or two hands on the ball and just slam the ball in the basket or hoop.

Lob- To lob the ball you want it to go over the opponints head and hope the other player on your team catchs it and scores or passes it back and you score.

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 43

Have you ever wondered what you could do if you could time travel? Albert Einstein had theories that might explain time travel. Scientist think that they have an idea of how to time travel through a worm hole. A wormhole is a tunnel through space that connects one part of the universe to another part of the universe. Since time and space are connected, if you go through a wormhole, you might be transported to a different time period. Scientists think that accomplishing time travel will take a very long time. I might want to be a scientist who works on discovering time travel. It would be helpful to everyone to learn new technology from the future.

Transport: getting from one place to another

Wormhole: a tunnel that connects one part of space to another part of space

Accomplish: successfully doing something

A interesting thing that i learned from this reading is that a dunk is when you jump off two feet and put it throw he goal.

3 of the Wonder Words i no are dribble,slam dunk, and alley oop dribble means to run with the ball and bonce it to the ground slam dunk means to slam the ball thorough the goal and alley oop means to throw the ball upin the  air and your team mate will catch the ball and dunk it. How this topic i  chose affects my  every-day life is that i play it everyday and i really like it.How this topic could  relate  to a possible career choice in my future is by practicing because i really want to be a pro basketball player i also want to win a slam dunk compitition

How the topic i chose affects the lives of people in other parts of the world because differnet people might try are do this activeite.

Yodeling is a unique type of singing that features a fast, repeated change from a low to a high pitch.Yodeling didn't become mainstream in the U.S.A until the 1920's. Yodeling remained popular for many years. By the 1950's, however, yodeling was rarely heared in blues or country music.

Wonder Words:

Yodel: a type of music

Vocal: your voice

Volume: the pitch of something

JOKE

Knock-Knock

Who's there?

Little old lady

Little old lady, who?

I didn't know you could yodel!

Article posted March 14, 2012 at 01:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

I am reporting on #94, “What is a Supernova?”. A supernova is what happens when a star dies. A star dies when it runs out of hydrogen, which it converts into helium through nuclear fusion. The first stars became supernovae (plural of supernova) 14 billion years ago. This topic is important to know because I might be interested in being an astrophysicist as a career choice. Some supernovae become white dwarfs, neutron stars, or black holes depending on the size of the star that dies. Black holes have ridiculously strong gravitational pull. Not even light can escape from black holes.

Definition:

1) Hydrogen - a flamable lifting gas

2) Nuclear Fusion --a reactino in which two nuclei combine to form a nucleus with a release of energy.

3) White Drawf -- the remnants of a star that has collapsed. 

#94What Is a Supernova? Do not coppy me

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 12:37 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Have you ever been at a nice, warm campfire and you feel so good, then someone tells you a ghost story that makes you scared to death? Well that happens to a lot of people and it's been happening for a long time to. People believe that campfire stories have been here as long as fire has, that's really old! No one knows who invented the campfire story though. Campfire stories are best to tell when you're in the woods and it's night time because that's when you start to hear things and you think somehting is watching you, which only makes the story more scary and better. Some of the stories are famous old ghost tales . For example every christmas people hear about the story  A Christmas Carol -  the famous tale of Ebenezer Scrooge and his ghost of christmas past , present, and future. Do you have a favorite ghost story? Is it about a scary creature? If so comment me what it is. There are a lot of scary tales to tell. Some feature ghosts, while different ones are scary mysteries, myths, legends or tall tales. As you listen to these your body will react in different ways like your  heart will probably beat faster, you mght get goose bumps or you may start to shiver. Those things happen to a lot of people while listening to scary stories.

tradition - Scary stories are what a lot of people tell while at a campfire.

shiver - shaking in fear.

impact - The amount of fright you feel at a time.

Wait if I have a cow lick that means I got licked by a cow? No! A cow lick is  is when your hair sticks up. Did you know your cow lick is with you before you are born! Well it depends on if you are a righty or a lefty because your hair on your cow lick will be either counterclockwise or clockwise! A cow lick may also be called a "hair whorl". This topic may affect my every-day life by having to deal with it with certin hair styles. This affects other people in the worl because everybody has a cow lick! When I was a little girl my moms best friend used to tell me and her son that when we were born that they brought us to a farm and saw cows and they licked the back of our heads! We really belived her!

Words:

Clockwise: The direction of the hand on a clock!

Counterclockwise: The opposite of the direction of the hands on the clock!

Whorl: A spiral!

I CALL DIBS ON WHAT IS A  COW LICK!!!!

I call dibs on why do Referees wear stripes!

I picked why do Referees wear strips for my second Wonderopolis post.A few interesting things I learned during my reading was that referee got its start in soccer.The reason that most referees wear strips or funny colors is to not look like a player. These are my 3 words. First is official i think of official as like this is what is going to happen and its not going to change. Second is judge i think of judge as like the person that tells u what to do kind of or whats going to happen. Third is timekeeper i think timekeeper as the person that keeps up with time and like how much longer you have left.This wonder i chose kind of relates to a career for when i grow up because i have been playing soccer since i was like 7 and that's something i enjoy doing and i see a referees at all of my games and i would also love to still being playing soccer when i get older! :)

The wonder I am doing is How do Locks Work, #431. In this wonder I learned about to different locks. the first lock I learned about was the Combination Lock, the way this works is When youturn the dial it turns a series of wheels. These wheels have a tab called a "wheel fly. When the tabs line up the lock opens.  The other lock I learned about is the pin-and-tumbler lock (or key lock).  The way these work is they have several spring loaded pins in a series of cylenders, when the proper cylenders are   pushed it unlocks.

combination/set of numbers

valuble/exspensive and important

secure/safe

Ruth Wakefeild accidently made the first chocolate chip.It happend when she ran out of baker's chocolate and choped up a chocolatebar as a substitute.But it didn't melt over it like she thought it would.It had only sofened.Then she called them Toll House Cookies.

My blog is about Wonder #512 Why Are There Secret Societies?  It is obviously about secret societies and is about real secret societies going on now.  What I thought was interesting in this article was that secret societies don't have to be secret.  One of the wonder words was Soroity which is an organized group of people meeting together.  Another wonder word was ritual which is a ceremony usually used by sororities and fraternities.  The last wonder word I'll talk about is Freemason.  Which is one of the secret societies that people who built buildings out of stone and most of the people who signed the Declaration of Independence were most likely to be a Freemason.  This topic of the wonder I chose  would affect my everyday life if I chose to create my own secret society.    My career choice later on could be affected by this wonder because I want to be a lawyer and I have a slight chance of hearing about a secret society.  The topic of this wonder could affect people's lives in other countries because other countries probably have secret societies

The Scull and Bones Secret Society                                                                                                                                          The Sanctus Devs Secret Society Symbol

My topic is how do you play a trumpet. The trumpet has been around for thousands of years. It is one of the oldest instruments around. Archaeologists evenfound bronze and silver trumpets in the Egyptian tomb of Tutankhamen, better known as King Tut.Everyone thinks that can just play it in orchestra but it is also used as a signal call for the poeple in the military they called them signal tools. A trumpet is basically a curved hollow metal tub. A trumpet begins with a mouthpiece at the narrow end and ends with a flared bell at the opposite end.The bell projects the sound. It sounds like it is easy to play it but you have to blow the right amount of air into it. THat is the only way to get the correct sound. I play the trumpet and it is not easy as you might think.To play a trumpet you must purse your lips tightly together and let them vibrate as you blow. You also have to move your tongueat the same time. As you play the trumpet moisture from your breathe condenses inside the instrument. But when you are playing there is a key to let the moisture drip out. 

Instrument: A musical tool used to play by someone.

Valves: A button on the trumpet that you use to play three different notes.

Trumpet: A instrumant played to signal army  bases. One of the logenst instruments in history. 

I am doing my report on what is tapioca. It may seem that tapioca is little bubbles that are in your pudding. Tapioca is really a starch that is made from root of a plant called Manihit esculenta. If you were to studdy places around the world you may notice that tapioca is called many different names. There are many different forms so if you were to make tapioca you might know that the pearls are most popular shape. America and many other places around the world eat this everyday. I love his pudding just like other places do.

texture: the way something feels when you touch it.

pudding: a food that is smoth and has many flavors.

pearl: a round like gem and found in the sea.

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 01:22 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

A limerick is a short, rhyming poem with five lines that have a certain pattern and they are usually funny.  This is an example of one:  There once was a girl named Sloane.  Who liked talking on the phone.  She'd get a call then another.  Told to get off by her mother.   Then it would ring again for no other but Sloane.  No one is sure where the word limerick came from but many think it originated in Limerick, Ireland.   Many famous writers, including William Shakepeare and Mark Twain have included limericks in their work.   Wonder Words:  Limerick-Five sentenced, funny poem that rhymes.  Origin-Where something begins.  Wit-Humor

I'm doing why is it called black Friday? Black Friday means its time to go shopping! On that day there are huge sales and stores open at as early as 4:00 am! Actually black Friday is named when police and bus drivers would call it black Friday the day after thanksgiving when the roads would have a traffic jam. Another holiday close to Black Friday is called cyber Monday. Its for people who cant go to sales on Black Friday or dont want to get in the huge crowd. Black Friday is the busiest shopping spree ever. And its close to Christmas!

Wonder Words

Clogg= Clogg means jammed or crowded.

Profit= Profit means what you earned like money.

Traffic= Traffic means cars are in a long line not moving.

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 33

For Wonderopolis #2, I am doing #509, "Have you ever lost your Marbles?"

Some interesting things from my reading was that the 'saying', "I must be loosing my marbles!" doesn't actually mean you lost your marbles, unless you actually did loose your marbles. It's just a saying that was made up in the 1800's. No one knows who made it up, but that's just when you loose something.

Wonder Words!:

Marble-a glass ball that is used to play games

Exclaim-To make a statement

Amazed-You can't believe it or you're starstrucked

How "Have you ever lost your Marbles" Effects my life :

My reading effects my life because I usually loose A LOT of things.

My reading effects my future because when I get older, I'm going to be a writter, and a writter has to keep up with things just like every job does.

My reading effects my other relatives because we all loose a lot of things. But some of us keep up with SOME things.

Ava H.

If you have ever been or lived in a coastal area  it is possible you have heard  of Red tides. Red tides are just a term for toxic algal blooms and its is slang fo harmful agal blooms. In certain conditions alge grows very quickly. But in some cases algal blooms are not toxic but only a few kinds the scienctific term for that species is Karenia brevis and it produces toxins. But not all Karenia brevis turns water red some turn yellow, orange, pink, or brown. That is why sciencetists do not like to use the term "Red tides". But some toxic algal blooms to not even make water a different color but, they are still harmful. When red tides happen they can kill millions of fish and other marine ecoysystems. Even people have been known to get sik by eating shellfish that comsume the alge. But, not all algal blooms are bad some actully benifit marine life by incresing food amount for marine animals.

i call dibs on what are red tides

A Zamboni(R) is a car/cart that scrapes, cleans, and smoothes the scrached-up surface of an ice rink after a round of skating. Before this invention, resurfaceing took over an hour to do! In 1939, Frank Zamboni bulit an ice rink in California, named "Iceland". Getting fed-up with resurfaceing the ice by hand, Zamboni set of to create the worlds first automated resurfacer. He did in the end, and he called it the Zamboni(R), which is a must-have at ice rinks today. If there wasn't no Zamboni(R), if you wanted to do more skating, you would have to stay at the rink and get cold for a lot longer..............                    

Our wonderfuly wonderful wonder words for today and their defenitons are:

compacted: squshed, chushed in to a smaller space

resurfaceing: the process of scrapeing off the cut-up layer of ice and smoothening the layer of ice below on an ice rink

Zamboni(R): the only fully automated ice resurfaceing machine!

Thats right.

i called where do red eyes come from, not you HA HA AND HA

Have you ever wondered why you sometimes look like a alien or zombie in a photo? This is called the Red Eye Affect, the Red Eye Affect accures when a flash-photo is taken in a low light situation. When the flash is located near the lense, you may be looking almost directly at the light. the red comes when the flash happens to fast for your Pupil to close. The flash moves into the eye, reflects of the retina at the back, and returns out of they eye. Your eyes look red because of the blood in your eye. Thes are my wonder words:

•carefully: doing somethis with care

•photograph: a picture from a camera

•hazel: a greenish brown color

•flash: a bright fast accuring light

Have you ever wondered what an aglet was? if you have ever watched the cartoon Phinies And Ferb, you would know because they sung a song about it. Well its that medal or plastic thingymabobber on the end of your shoelace.They were invented for when you are lacing your shoe, all of the little strings dont fall apart, that would be a mess!No one really knows who invented the aglet but we think they were first made to replace the button on the end of a ribbon or a pice of clothing so it doesent fall apart. It sounds kinda funny right? but it use to be spelled, Aiglet which came from the older french word, aiguillette. Both these words are french which came from the word aiguille which means needle. Today aglets can be used at the ends of cords, cables, bolo ties, and sometimes fancy belts. Here are some handy aglet words to stick in you vocabulary.

.aglet

.tounge

.eyelet...By the way, a eyelet is the part of the shoe that has the holes in it to weave the shoelace through it.

.unraveling

.drawstring

Wonderopolis Report pt. 2: Can Fortune Cookies Predict the Future? 

I am going to do a report on can fortune cookies predict the future.  I found out some ideas of where they came from,  how many fortune cookies are made every year and if they really do predict the future.  Here is what I read.  I read that some people believe Makoto Hagiwara, a Japanese person from San Fransico invented the fortune cookies.  They think he served the cookies in the late 1890s or early 1900s.  Now, at the famous Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park they hand fortune cookies out as a thank you, because Makoto designed the Tea Garden.  Others think that the cookie was invented in 1918 by a man named David Jung, a Chinese person in Los Angeles who founded the Hong Kong Noodle Company.  David was worried about the homeless people on the street, so he passed fortune cookies out for free.  Also, some of the Japanese people believe  fortune cookies started in the 19th century in Kyoto, Japan.  Tsujiura senbei or cracker-like cookies were popular in Kyoto.  They were a bit different though, they were larger and darker, but don`t worry they still had a fortune in them.  Nobody really knows the exact origin but forune cookies became very popular after World War II.  Did you know that fortune cookies aren`t actually Chinese it just so happened that some Americans liked having fortune cookies after a Chinese meal.  The worlds biggest  fortune cookie maker is Wonton Food Inc. in Long Island City, New York.  Over 60 million cookies are shipped every month, and over 3 billion cookies are made every year.  I don`t know if you noticed but that is a lot of fortune cookies.  Now here is the answer you all have been waiting for, no, fortune cookies can not predict the future and if you get a fortune that just happens to seem true then it was just a coincedence.  This topic could relate to a possible career in a way because who knows, you could be working in the Wonton Food Inc. making fortune cookies someday.  So there you have it, those are my interesting facts that I learned and read in this article.

Wonder Words

Fortune ~ A fortune is something that predicts the future.

Predict ~ Predict means to tell someone something.

Dessert ~ A dessert is a delcious treat that you eat after a meal.

I call dibs on Can Fortune Cookies Predict the Future? 

My Wonderopolis report is on #521, Can You Speak in Code.  Some interesting things I learned were, for one the code during WWII in amost all radio trannsmissions.  (Radio Code Pt1) A is Alfa, B is Bravo, C is Charlie, D is Delta, E is Echo, F is Foxtrot, G is Golf, H is Hotel, I is India, J is Juliett, K is Kilo, L is Lima/London, M is Mike,  (Radio code Pt2) N is November, O is Oscar, P is Papa, Q is Quebec, R is Romeo, S is Sierra, T is Tango, U is Uniform, V is Victor, W is Whiskey, X is X-ray, Y is Yankee, and Z is Zulu.  Another interesting thing I learned is that in Indonesia Lima means Five, so they use London for L and Lima for F, also in the USA D is Dixie, David, or Data because of all the Delta Airline flights.  My three wonder words are communication, static, and treaty.

Treaty - An interpitation of peace

Communication - To talk, move, listen, and watch

Static -Still / unchanging

This could affect lots of different lives all around the world for pilots, and people that are in the USAA.  (United States of America Air Force.)

I CALLDIBS ON #521 Can You Speak in Code

I am doing my blog on wonder #509 "Have you ever lost your marbles?" In the 1800s marbles where very popular. Some people think that marbles eventually came to be assosiated with peoples minds or common sense. A marble is a glass ball that has a design or color it doesn't need to have a color to be a marble. Here are some vocabulary words to add to your list. Puzzling means not understandable. Amazed means you can not beleive something(unbelievable). This article made me want to learn how to build marbles. I love to do crafts so that would be a fun project for the future.

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 03:43 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

I CALL DIBS ON "HAVE YOU EVER LOST YOUR MARBLES?"

Have you ever wondered why school buses are yellow? Or what's the most attention-grabbing color? Read this and you will find many fact about those questions. You want to know why school buses are  yellow? They're are yellow because the Federal law says that to be safe the school buses must be "school bus yellow". You may not find the color "school bus yellow" in a regular crayon box . Most people think that red is the most eye catching color, well it's not yellow is. This color helps our every day life by when you see a long  yellow bus be cautious to not go around it and stop when the stop.

Transport- To take an object to a different place.

Safety- Make sure you are safe.

Attention- To aknowlage and object.

sign comes out. This is a job for many people. If your looking for a career look to be a bus driver.   People all over the world can learn something new about our country and how we are trying to be  safe!

Have you ever how fast a tank can move or what catipiler tracks are? Tanks can move at differant speeds.It depends on what the tank terrain is and what kind of tank it is.Some tanks can go about 25mph on dirt but about 40 on the road. some have gone 60 to 70mph!But tanks are not really built for speed.The tanks tires are made of medel chains.they make continous tracks or catipiller tracks. Rubber tires would not work on a tank because they do not have enough traction and they could pop.

catipiller=continous. the tank is making catipiller tracks

terrain=type of ground. I am walking on a dirt terrain

traction=grip between ground and wheel. This tank has good traction

Im doing how fast can a tank move=http://!

I'm doing #501, "Where is the Mother Road?" Todays roads and highways are only for getting around from one place to the other, but when cars where just getting popular, the routes where for looking out the window and seeing the sights to see. Route 66 was the place to go. In November 11, 1926, this new highway (that is what it was called back then) went from Missouri, all the way down to California. That's 2,448 miles long! Talk about long! The nickname "The Mother Road" came from a book named "The Grapes of Wrath". This historical road passes by the Painted Desert, Meteor Crater, and the Grand Canyon. Lots of people worked nere Route 66, there was every thing from gas stations to reptile farms! There where even little towns! You couldn't go anywhere on Route 66 without running into a store or a restaurant. Route 66 was so popular it even had its own TV show! But, as time went by, interstates where built and Route 66 was starting to get older. Now there are some places that you can't even drive on! This can chang the lives of other people in different parts of the world by not letting them be able to get all the information and sites to see on this very historical road.

Wonder Words (words that are underlined):

Highways~A road to drive on if you need to get to a place very fast.

Routes~A road that goes through the country.

Nickname~Not the real name, but usually it is shorter then the real name or a funny/nice name.

Interstates~Goes through miltiable states.

i call dibs on Do Woodchucks Really Chuck Wood?

The blog I am going to tell you about is Wonderopolis report #516 Do Wood chucks Really Chuck Wood? Surprisingly no they do not chuck wood. Woodchucks have many names like groundhog, whistle pig, land beaver, otchek, otchig, and even wuchak. Woodchucks belong to a group of rodents called marmots which is the same group squirrels belong to. The name wood chuck gave many ideas for toung twisters. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood? A woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could, if a woodchuck could chuck wood! This is one of the most famous toung twisters. Also did you know that the vedio was from the Life and Science Museum. I can use this knoeledge in my life if I have to study or make a report on woddchucks.

Wonder Words

woodchuck- An animal that is in the margot family and it is slightly bigger than a squrille.

groundhog-Another name for a woodchuck.

squeal-A sound that sounds like a high pitched errie.

Narwhals are white and gray whales that live in the artic ocean. These 10 foot long mammels have one long tusk sticking out of their mouth. Scientest have learned that nawhals can dive up to 500 feet into the artic ocean. People say this tooth is used for defense and breaking through ice. Royalty used to belive that the tusk could block poisen and chemicals. The narwhal feeds on fish and other animals. I think that getting a better knwledge are Narwhals may help people understand how animals adapt to the cold far north. I'm really intrested in narwhals because of their cool horns.

Spiral- is a curly shape like a cicle

Whale- medium to large animal living in the ocean.

Inuit- An indian tribe that lives in the far north.

We don’t mean to toot our own horn, but we think today’s Wonder is simply magical!

Have you ever wondered…

• What is a narwhal?

• Is a narwhal horn really a horn?

• Where do narwhals live?

Did you know?

If you love unicorns — and, really, who doesn’t? — then you’re going to love learning about “the unicorn of the sea.” No, it’s not an underwater horse. And it doesn’t sparkle. But it’s a magical creature all the same.

What are we talking about? The narwhal, of course! Sometimes called “the Arctic unicorn,” narwhals are small whales (about 15-16 feet long) that live in the icy waters of the Atlantic and Russian areas of the Arctic Ocean, near Canada and Greenland.

Narwhals are most closely related to the beluga whale. Male narwhals feature a unique, defining physical characteristic: a long protrusion from the upper left jaw that looks like a tusk or a horn. In medieval times, people believed that narwhal tusks were the horns of the legendary unicorn.

In reality, though, a narwhal tusk is not a unicorn horn. In fact, it’s not a horn at all. Would you believe it’s a tooth? It’s true!

Male narwhals have a left incisor tooth that grows outward straight through the left side of the upper jaw. It can grow up to almost 10 feet in length with a distinctive spiral shape. Female narwhals also have a similar tusk that’s much shorter and straighter.

A narwhal’s right incisor is normally small, but occasionally it also grows out. These “two-horned” narwhals are very rare.

Scientists aren’t completely sure what purpose narwhal tusks serve. At one time, people believed they might be used to break ice or spear fish. Further study has shown, though, that they’re most likely used in mating rituals to impress females or battle rival males.

Narwhals feed on fish that swim deep under the Arctic ice. In fact, narwhals are known for making some of the deepest dives of any marine mammal. Narwhals have been known to dive to depths of over 2,500 feet over 15 times per day, with some dives reaching as deep as almost 5,000 feet!

Today, they’re still hunted legally by the Inuit peoples of Canada and Greenland. Known for their ability to use all parts of the narwhal, the Inuit peoples eat narwhal meat, harvest their tusks to use as tools and even eat their skin, which is a good source of vitamin C.

The name narwhal comes from the Old Norse words nar (corpse) and whal (whale). Narwhals were likely called “corpse whales” because of their pale, mottled coloring that made them look like drowned sailors!

In the Middle Ages, people believed narwhal tusks were unicorn horns with magical powers, such as the ability to render poison harmless. As a result, traders could sell narwhal tusks for many times their weight in gold. Royalty bought these tusks to make cups they believed would keep them from ever being poisoned.

Try it out!

Ready to dive deep to have some fun with narwhals? First, check out this fantastic video of narwhals migrating during the summer through cracks in the melting Arctic ice.

Think you know what a narwhal looks like in the wild? Put your skills to the test by assembling this fun online Narwhal Jigsaw Puzzle!

If you love narwhals as much as we do, you’ll have tons of fun putting together a crafty Narwhal collage or diorama. When you’re finished, be sure to email us a picture of your creation or post a picture on Facebook. We can’t wait to see it!

Wonder words to know and use:

• narwhal

• unicorn

• whale

• Arctic

• protrusion

• tusk

• incisor

• spiral

• mating

• Inuit

• corpse

Still wondering?

In EDSITEment!’s Unicorns, Dragons, and Other Magical Creatures lesson, children explore images of magical creatures from around the world.

Wonder what’s next?

Tomorrow’s super Wonder of the Day will take a look at some humans that look a bit like zebras

If you hear timber you better look out. When a lumberjack cuts down a tree he might yell timber to let people now that it is falling and they need to look out for it. Trees that are cut down and that are going to be put to use are cut into planks called lumber. Lumberjacks use tools to cut down trees like a chainsaw or a axe or even a hand saw.

i call dibs on what is a log jam

Wonderopolis Wonder # 496 What Is QWERTY?

This wonder of the day you can tap on your key board and was no accident. Wonder # 496: What is QWERTY?

The QWERTY layout was invented by a guy named  Christopher Sholes. In the 1860, Sholes began working on prototypes of the typewriter in his shop. The first commerial type writer Sholes made was designed for you to tap on a button and a bar (with the particular letter you chose) with ink on it would press against a long ribbon, leaving an impression of that letter. The problem was the most commonly used bars were next to each other creating jams. So, Sholes made it so the commonly use bars were spaced out to stop jamming. That's how QWERTY was born! We still have been using The QWERTY Layout for 3 cenutries and is universal. There are some words you must know in this artical; layout , universal and prototype. Layout means  the way something is set up. Universial means every country on the earth uses that same thing and or  in this case same format. Last, prototype means  a primary type of some object that still needs improving.

Article posted March 11, 2012 at 03:51 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

Hamburgers!

Are hamburgers made of ham? This question is asked a lot. If hamburgers were made of ham every time you got on you would go crazy! I would never eat another hamburger because I would get really sick from eating all that ham and I couldn’t go to school so I would miss out on learning. That would really mess with my everyday life.

If hamburgers happened to be made out of ham and I decided to work at a place that sold hammy hamburgers then I would go nuts if there was so much ham being used.

Having hamburgers that were made of ham just doesn’t seem right. If people all around the world had to eat ham as a hamburger whenever they felt they wanted one they would eventually get literally sick and tired of having ham, ham, ham, ham. Then people who owned companies that sold ham-burgers would go out of business and that would affect them financially.     

I call dibs on the eiffle tower so that means you cant do it tehehehehehehehehehehe!

Many people know the show Huckleberry Hound which i would say blueberry hound. A huckleberry is also known as a blueberry. They are also a name for small. Huckleberrys can be compared to persimmons. These berrys grow in many parts of the U.S.  No one knows why the term huckleberry is so popular. All im consened about is if it's a word. Has any body tried a huckleberry. Probaly so. If anybody has any other strange name for fruits then please tell me

I WANT YOU FOR THE US ARMY! Does that sound familiar to you? Do you know who the most famous uncle is ever? Uncle Sam is! The story of Uncle Sam all started in the war of 1812. Samuel Wilson was a meat packer for the Army and stamped US on the meat boxes. People joked that US meant “Uncle Sam”. It really meant United States. Years later an artist drew a picture that had his way of seeing Uncle Sam. Then the government made a poster trying to get people to go in to the Army, and Uncle Sam was on it. I chose this article because I think it is very importation to US history. This article relates to a career choice I might do because I want to go into the Army.

Wonder Words

-Barrel: A tall round container that is used to hold stuff.

-Personification: Giving a thing that isn’t a person human characteristics.  

-Goatee: A tiny triangle beard that is on your chin.   

Red Tides are very dangerous. Red Tides are actually dangerous algae bloom.The reason it's harmful is because some types of algae produce toxins. These harmful algae can kill millions of fish, many dead fish on the beach is a sign. Also if you accidently eat a fish that's been poisoned you could get really sick.

I choose this article because it looked cool.

Vocabulary:

Harmful- It can hurt you

Coastal- On the coast

Organism- A living thing

Article posted March 17, 2012 at 04:23 AM GMT • comment • Reads 45

I learn that some art are priceless because it not as good as other people art .Some geart artist art are priceless because it misunderstood.My first picture I drew was priceless because it was lines and weird stuff. Don't get mad if someone says your art priceless.

Priceless- No one will pay for it.

Misunderstood- Nobody understoods you.

Frustrating- anger and mad

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 06:05 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Something interesting that I learn from reading this was that the case of weather a tamato is a fruit or vegetable went to the Supreme Court. The supreme court ruled tamatos as vegetable. Scientist still think tamato are fruit becase they bear seeds. Cooks think tamato are vegetable because they have a savory taste.

Savory is a non-sweet taste.

Edible means the food is eatable.

Tariff is a tax or duty that you need to pay.

I call dibs for "are all pickles sour"

Punxsutawney Phil, if you're wondering who it is like I did, he is a groundhog that comes out of its burrow to see if it can see its shadow. If it can't see its shadow then he will go back in its burrow and that means 6 more weeks of Winter. On Febuary 2, an early morning ceremony happens at a place called "Gobbler's Knob". When Phil has made his decision, legends say that he speaks to the president of the ground hog club in a secret language called Groundhogese. A special group called the inner circle keeps good care over Phil year-round. Phil has been sharing its predictions with the world for 120 years. Since groundhogs only have a life for 10 years or so, scientists tell us that there have have been more Phils throughout the decades.

If a farmer believes this tradition then it might effect when he plants its crops. If he thinks there is six more weeks of winter then he might not plant his crops in time!!!

Wonder Words

onlookers -Phil emerges from his home, onlookers and newscasters hold their breath waiting to see if Phil will see his shadow.

newscasters -Phil emerges from his home, onlookers and newscasters hold their breath waiting to see if Phil will see his shadow.

Captivity -Since groundhogs only have a life expectancy of 10 years in captivity, scientists note there have been many “Phils” over the years.

Hi Bloggers,

Let's extend our exploration of Wonderopolis!

I want you to go to Wonderopolis.org (or use the widget I added below your names) and find an article you REALLY enjoy. Read the article from start to finish... then come back here to complete a little report.

Your Wonderopolis pt. 2 report needs:

-Specific topic of the Wonder

-Interesting things you learned from your reading

-3 of the Wonder Words to know and use WITH your personal definition of the word as it was used in the article

This should be at least a 7 sentence post. Please choose one or more of these ideas to extend your post:

-How the topic you chose affects your every-day life

-How the topic you chose relates to a possible career choice for your future

-How the topic you chose affects the lives of people in other parts of the world.

GOAL: no repeats (from the first Wonderopolis Report OR new ones posted). One way you can do this is by posting the title of the article you choose before you type the whole article.

I call dibs on if blood is red why are vains blue!!!!

How many peanuts are in peanut butter? 

How many peanuts are in peanut butter? Well It takes 540 peanuts to make a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter. You dont wanna know how many peanuts are in 40 ounce.It takes 1,800 peanuts=http://!!!Arachibutyrophobia sry I have the fear of peanut butter getting stuck on top of mouth.Arachibutyrophobiais is someone who has a fear of getting peanut butter stuck to top of mouth.Peanut aren't really nuts they are legums.The worldds biggest peanut butter and jelly sandwhich was created in oklahoma in 2002, it weighed about 900 pounds and containd 350 pouds of peanut butter and 144 pounds of jelly,thats alot. Alot of people are cant eat peanut butter because they cant eat anything really sticky.Which that would affect my life cause I love peanut butter.

Paste- A thick, soft,moist substance, usually produced by mixing dry ingredients with a liquid.

Protein-Something that is helps you grow.

Tropics- Tropical places

Why can't we have 5 days off of school and work and 2 days with school and work? The answer is that 2 days just isn't enough time to get things done. Did you know that weekends are only 100 years old and that Muslimms traditonally take Friday off, Jews took off Saturday and Christians on Sunday. Well if you love weekends you can thank Henry Ford he began giving his workers weekends in the early 1900s. Why did he decide to do this? Because his best customers were his workers. He thought if they had more time of they could drive them and want to buy them. I LOVE WEEKENDS=http://=http://=http://=http://!! :):):b:B

I call dibs!

Article posted March 9, 2012 at 02:02 AM GMT • comment • Reads 50

Usually on the calendar there is 365 days in a year. Did you know the Earth travels around once a year. Also smart astronomers found out that it actually takes Earth a little longer to travel around the sun. Precisely measuring, this is the results they got. They determined that one trip around the sun is actually 365.242 days (or 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds, to be exact). This means that a year should actually be 365 and almost one-quarter days long. Juli us Caesar under the ancient Romans decided to do the same as Egyptians when they developed our modern calendar. Plus they were the first to designate February 29 as the extra day.

My Wonder Words to use and know:

1. century- It means something like centuries later

2. calendar- Something that you keep track of you stuff on

3. manage- To manage something

leap year_shutterstock_69103444

Hi my name is Ellen. I love poetry.