Devan's Blogimania-

Every May is Get Caught Reading month. Have you been caught reading yet this month? Do you love to read? Your teachers probably tell you how important reading is all the time. And guess what? They’re right! Reading helps you in many ways beyond just being able to read and get good grades in Language Arts. Being an avid reader helps you become a better speller. Reading can also help you become a better writer. In fact, the more you read, the better you’ll do in all your subjects. Do you have friends who always have books in their hands? We bet you catch them reading all the time. Sometimes those people who like to read all the time are called bookworms. Is it because they look like earthworms? No! So where did that nickname come from? A bookworm is someone who loves reading books. These people are also called bibliophiles. Bibliophiles sometimes love books so much that they choose to collect them, too. The term “bookworm” has been used since the 1500s. Way back then, libraries did not have the modern heating and air conditioning systems that they do today. As a result, many libraries could not control the environment surrounding their books. Some old libraries became musty and attracted various pests. Some of these pests took the form of insects and worms who loved to eat paper and the glue in the bindings of books. These pests would spend their entire lives inside of books. It was only natural to transfer the “bookworm” idea to humans who loved to consume (read) books as much as these pests did. So if you see a trip to the library as an adventure and are always on the lookout for a new book to read, you’re probably a bookworm. And that’s OK! There are millions of us in the world. When you love books, it can be a lot of fun to share a great book with a friend. Seeing a friend read and enjoy a book as much as you do can be very satisfying. It can also strengthen friendships, as you discuss the books you share with each other.  

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 08:21 AM • comment • Reads 55 • see all articles

My name is Devan and I am a student at Voyager Academy.