alexs amazing blog of amazingness thats very amazingly amazing-

my book 05/15/12
Nonfiction I like 03/30/12
how fast can a tank move 03/15/12
dibs!!! 03/05/12
My thought on poetry 02/20/12
I cannot go to school today 02/06/12
flimingos 02/01/12
why are flimengos pink 01/23/12
wales 01/06/12
my book 12/07/11
bodily-kinastetic 11/16/11
edutopia 11/03/11
New Mexico 10/13/11
me 09/30/11
My book 09/27/11
food i like 09/27/11
alex 09/23/11
alexs boss blog 09/15/11

Sorry guys for the confusion... could you be royalty is now free for anyone who wants it. i am changing my article.

I know all of you have that special someone who you think of as your "bff" and sometimes you wanna reward them? Well I have found a article on Wonderopolis on how to show them a sign of your friendship

How do you make friendship bracelets?: 

Native Americans are given lots of credit because they know how to do all these patterns and knots and nooks and crrannies used with yarn. Most people even say they are the ones who developed Modern Friendship Bracelets. Friendship Bracelets are a form of macrame'. MArcrame is a type of fabric that uses knots. Traditionally friendship bracelets are used for a sign of friendship.

Yarn: type of fabric

Pastime: something to do

macrame: type of fabric

As colder weather approaches, what changes do you make? You probably start to wear heavier clothing, including long pants, long-sleeved shirts and coats.Since animals can’t shop at the local grocery store for their food, they have to figure out how to make it through the cold winter months when their food supplies may become threatened. For other animals, it might take too much energy to migrate. Instead, many animals choose to hunker down for the winter and hibernate. In fact, hibernating animals often show signs of sleep deprivation when they emerge from hibernation. When an animal comes out of hibernation, it often needs a lot of sleep over the next several days to resume normal functions.For my opinion bears sleep the longest because, they don't wake up when it's cold because there big heavy coat of bear fur. They also have some cozzy leafs to sleep on to. I am also wondering do bears live in the woods or near a river in the woods because, I saw one in my back yard and our backyard is mostly woods but we don't have a river.

Hibernation - Hibernation is where an animal hides and / or sleeps for winter.

Temperature - Temperature means the weather is ethier hot or cold.

Migrate - Migrate means  the travelling of long distances in search of a new habitat.

I am doing Why are they called smores!

Smores are a fun and tasty snack. But why do people call them smores marsshweet, Soft, Gooey.This sweet, warm, gooey, delicious treat always leaves kids wanting more.

Toasty= Golden Brown.

Traditional= Do it ever year.

Marshmallow= Gooey and sweet.

Do all animals make tracks? You can find tracks in your backyard, park, and school playground. If you look close to the ground you can see animal tracks. You would most likely see tracks better in the mud and sand. I thought this article was really cool.

adventure- to go explore

tracking- to find or search for

footprint- a print made by a foot

i call dibs for can you grow candy corn!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am doing: Can You Grow Candy Corn? Candy corn is popular around Halloween, but you can buy it year round in the store. There are a lot of different types of candy corn for some holidays, like reindeer corn for Christmas and bunny corn in the spring for Easter. There is also Indian corn around Thanksgiving and Cupid corn for Valentines Day. It was invented by George Renigger in the 1800s. A fun fact is that candy corn is fat free.  And, if you haven't realized, you can't grow candy corn!

Words:

Kernel: The body of a seed within its husk or integument.

Stalk: The stem or main axis of a plant.

Texture: The visual and especially tactile quality of a surface.

Which dessert takes the cake?

When something "takes the cake", it usually means it's the best example of something. This phrase was invented at cake-walk strutting competitions in the late 19th century. At these competitions, couples who won received an actual cake as their prize. We think cake really does "take the cake" when it comes to desserts. Cake has been around for thousands of years. The first "cakes" were probably fried bread or cheesecakes. The word "cake" originates from a Viking root. It comes from an Old  Norse word "kaka". Today, cakes come in many different flavors. What is your favorite?

Vocab words:

Dessert- food that is usually sweet

Fondant- a gummy paste that tastes like sugar. Used to decorate cakes.

Lollipop- hard, flavored candy on a stick

Dibs for what Makes a Pyramid?Did you know a pyrimad can be all shapes and sizes? Well I didn"t! It has three or more straight sides and a point at the top called the apex. No one knows how pyramads were formed but I think its just sand that got into a pile and rained on and dryed a lot!

Pyramad- A massive structur built esspecially in acient Egept that usualy has a square base and four triangular sides.

Apex-  The top of a pyramad.

Egyption- A person born in Egypt or is living in Egypt.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 02:33 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 51

See gum naturally looses its flavor. It's not the scientists faults. Gum isn't ment to be swallowed. Plus our bodies can't even digest gum. To make chewing gum chewy you add the main ingredient which is gum base. Adding softeners is what keeps the gum from going hard and dry. A very long time ago chewing gum was made from different kinds of tree saps. Chewing gums flavors can come from different places. Some of the most popular flavors for gum are menthol, frut, spearment, and of course pepperment. Now to the part where you learn why these flavors don't last. The flavors don't last because the spit in your mouth digest the sweeteners and the flavoring. Gum base can not be broken down like the other ingredients.

Wonder Words:

Flavor: I think flavor is something you add to food or other edible things to make it taste good.

Ingredient: I think a ingredient is something you add in a mix to make the dish complete.

Saliva: I think saliva means spit from your mouth.

Salt Water Taffy does not actually have saitwater in it. But it has salt and water in it but not saltwater. The reason salt water taffy is called that is because Bradley's candy store became flooded during a major storm in 1883. All of his salt water taffy became soaked in salt water so he started calling it that as a joke.

Vocab

Flavor: the taste something has

Souveneir: Something to get while you are on vacation

Taffy: A Chewy candy that people like to get at the beach

Article posted February 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 130

Why aren't hamburgers made of ham?

Sailors who traveled from Hamburg Germany to the United States often ate slabs of ground beef, and they named them " Hamburg Steak". People have so many opinions on who came up with the hamburger. People first started to put buns on hamburgers in the late 1800s. The hamburger Hall of Fame in Wiconsin thinks a guy named Charles Negreen. His customers said they would like his meatballs if they were more portable so he put ground beef in between 2 slices of bread. Here is one example that hamburgers are very liked by people. A man in Japan ate 10 hamburgers in three minutes. That is amazing!

Hamburg- A place in Germany

Ground Beef- What a hamburger is made of

Sailors- The people who first ate the hamburger but with out the buns

Can germs be good for you? Yes they can! If you don't really know what germs are don't worry! They're not aliens or cooties they are actually tiny living organisms. Even though some germs are bad and give you sicknesses, some are helpful to your body. some bacterial cells can keep you from getting sick. So they can be good!

Germs- bacteria cells

Orginisms- things

Cavities-holes eaten away at your teeth

Article posted January 31, 2012 at 02:36 AM GMT • comment • Reads 58

The first chocolate chip cookie was made by accident in 1937 by Ruth Wakefield. Ruth was the owner of the Toll House Inn and was in charge of cooking orders and making new recipes. Most guest didn't order desserts. One afternoon one of the guest ordered some Butter Drop Do Cookies but Ruth was out of baker's chocolate so she improvised and used a semisweet chocolate bar. When the cookies were done instead of the chocolate melting completely it was still in little pieces. Ruth named her new creation the Toll House Crunch and soon the cookies became very popular. While I was reading the article I found some fun facts! Did you know that 1/4 of the United States cookies are chocolate chip? People really have an appetite for cookies!  Also in the United Kingdom cookies mean only chocolate chip any other kind are called biscuts! Lastly, Chocolate chip cookies are the state cookie for Pennslyvania and Massachusetts.

Vocabulary words

Creation- something new

Popular- widely known about

Appetite - to want to eat something

Most animals leave footprints.When animals touch solid ground, they usally leave a footprint. You can track people and animals by following their footprints. It's easiest to track animal and people in snow or mud.

Wonder words:

1. Footprint- an imprint left by a foot.

2. Tracking- following a trail of evidence.

3. Adventure- an exciting trip.

Article posted January 23, 2012 at 01:49 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 40

I am doing Who Invented Cotton Candy? Did you know that cotton candy was first made in 1867? Originally cotton candy is white but they use food coloring to dye it blue and pink. There is as much sugar in Cotton Candy as in a can of soda, but the only ingrediant in Cotton Candy is sugar! Also National Cotton Candy Day is November 7.

Defenitions:

Dye: The dye in cotton candy is usally pink or blue.

Admission: You have to pay an admission to get into the fair.

Expensive: Cotton Candy machines can be expensive or cost alot of money.

Have you ever wonderd why we put candles on are cake or birthday treat. Here is a little information about this cool wonder!When we put candels on are birthday cake we usually dont think about why we do this and or who was the first person to start this tradition.It turns out that blowing out the birthday candles is something that Ancient greeks did.Also Germans began to do it but for a differnt reason,to them it ment "the light of life".Many people know do this because of spiritual reasons alot of people think that the smoke will get the bad spirits away. I really thought this was a cool wonder and I liked that I could share it with other people.

here are some cool wonder words about my blog

tradition-  I think that a tradition is some thing that is passed down in your family or even the world.

superstitious- I think that superstitious means when some one has religus belives about bad things

offering- I think that offering means to offer some one or give away some thing to another person!

I hope you like my blog about this cool wonder thanks=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://=http://!

Have you ever wondered Where is the coldest place on Earth? Like Antarctica, 98% of Antarctica is covered in ice.

Antarctica: A very cold contanent on Earth.

Precipitation: Anything that falls from a cloud like rain, sleet, snow, frozen rain, etc.

Climate: The weather in a city, county, or country.

It turns out spies really do use gadgets. They use stuff like cameras and binoculars to collect information and keep track of people. Spies need to have good skills with gadgets to succeed.

A gadget is a tool used to make life easier.

Undercover means to be in a disguise.

A mission is a special job that a spy must do.

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 02:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

What foods bring luck in the New Year the six major categories are:greens, grapes, pork, fish,legumes and cake. Lets take  a look at greens there many different kinds of greens like cabbage, kale, and more. Now lets look at grapes some believe that the grapes can predict treads in the coming year. And last i am going to tell you about pork.Pork is the main dish choice on  New years Day in many countries around the world.

Tradition: Belief or custom passed from generation to generation

Progress: Improve

Reputation:One's character or public esteem

I am doing what is a raptor. The word raptor comes from the latin word of rapere, witch means' to take by force. Birds of prey, the raptor, will hunt for food in the air. They have a curved beak and sharp talons to catch, kill and tear theflesh of off of their catch. Most raptors hunt vertabrates(animals with a backbone) or other birds.

My three wonder words are....

Raptor- Bird of prey

Nocturnal- Stay up at night

Sieze- To kill

Article posted February 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM GMT • comment • Reads 48

#306 Why is the Sky Blue?

White light is the sunlight you see every day. It is made up of all of the colors of the rainbow. The sky is blue because molecules in the air take in the blue wavelength and disperse them across the sky for your eyes to see. But there is an exception at sunrise and sunset. When the sun is shining on the horizon blue wavelengths cannot reach your eyes making way for red and orange wavelengths. You can do an experiment at home to prove this by following the steps on the Wonderopolis.com website, wonder #306.

Horizon = the line where the earth and the sky appear to meet.

Wavelength = The distance between one peak or crest of a wave of light, heat, or other energy and the next

Molecule = The smallest particle of a substance that retains the chemical and physical properties of the substance and is composed of two or more atoms

Have you ever wondered how many hot dogs you can eat in 10 minutes, who holds the record  for how many hotdogs you can eat in 10 minutes or where the hot dog got its name , if so you will find out in this article. No food says summer like the hot dog. Maybe that's why July is national hot dog month. Althuogh nobody knows how hot dogs became such a popular symbol of summer, but there is a guess on why it's related to Fourth of July celebrations. There is a popular New York legend that says that four immigrants had a hot dog eating contest to see who was more patriotic, it took place at Nathan's Famous hot dog stand on July 4,1916. Since then Nathan's Famous hot dog stand on Coney Island has been the site of a hot dog eating competition every year July 4. Today it's the most famous hot dog eating competition in the world. During the contest 20 people compete to see who can eat the most hot dogs in 10 minutes. The winner in addition to bragging rights and maybe indegestion getsto wear a special jeweled mustard-yellow belt. Joey Chesnut of San Jose, California holds the world record for eating the most hot dogs in 10 minutes. On July 4, 2009 He ate 68 hot dogs in 10 minutes, with buns. But you know what's more incredible, how many hot dogs Americans eat each year. According to the National hot dog and sausage council, Americans eat more than 20 billion hot dogs each year. More than 155 million of those hot dogs are eaten on the Fourth of July weekend alone! What's your favorite hot dog topping? Most of the time adults get mustard and kids get ketchup, but I want to know your favorite. If you're wondering how the name hot dog came about then here's the answer, people believe sports cartoonist Tad Dorgan came up with the name. At a 1901 baseball game, a new food- hot dachshund sausages in buns- were being sold. Dorgan heard the people saying" Get your dachshund sausages while they're hot" He drew a cartoon of the seen but he didn't know how to spell " dachshund" so he just called them "hot dogs". The rest they say is history.

Immigrant- A person that traveled from another country to North America.

Average- The average american eats 60 hot dogs a year.

Cartoonist- Someone who draws cartoons. 

I call wich side of the bed is the wrong side of the bed=http://! :) ps it is # 459

Has anybody ever told you "You woke up on the wrong side of the bed?" So you said " No I woke up o the side I usually do!'' Well that is just a silly saying it means you woke up grumpy or in a bad mood. In the 19 century Cobham Brewer said tht if you get out of bed with your left leg first you will have bad luck. Also Augustus Caesar said were always careful getting out of bed on the right side! Also experts in Feng Shui said it is better to get out on the left side so remember that!! Psychlogy say that you should get out on the left because your left side of your brain controls logic and rational thoughts. So remember these tips i gave you so you should get out on the left side of your bed tomorroww morning!!

WORDS:

Grumpy: in a bad mood!

Logic: A type of thought

Feng Shui:  A city in china

I am doing how many blocks make a igoo! :)

I find it cool how they can just cut up ice and make it in to houses that they call igloo's! Igloos have been around for thousands of years. Igloos can come in diffrent shapes and sizes! Most igloos are made for one person. Igloos are mostly made when people in the wild.Igloo's walls block the icy wind that are in that area.

(Igloo) Lets go make a igloo to stay in why we are hunting.

(Environment) This place has a great environment.

(Arctic) The arctic is a verry cold place.

Article posted January 23, 2012 at 03:33 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 45

Spies need to be creative, and should be able to adapt to any situation.  Lot's of spy's Work on surveillance. If you go to spynethq.com you can get a Watch tha records video surveillance.

undercover/very secret

survalince/video

intelligence/imformation

Why are they called "s'mores"? Is a s'more really a s'more or is it just a melted marshmellow between a chocolate sandwich? I don't think that they were nvented by girl scouts since I only see boyscouts eat them. Besides, girl scouts don't camp. At least my sister's group doesn't. I also think it is alot like eating a taco. It is impossible to eat without breaking apart. But they are so good to eat, it doesn't matter.

For my blog I am doin Wonder #449 Can You Think Outside of the box?  Over your holiday season do you think inside the box or outside?  Thinking inside the box is great but try thinking outside the box.  When people say, "think outside the box" they aren'texactly talking about a box.  It is a phrase to encourage others to be creative.  This phrase is pretty much a to say you shouldn't always do common things.  It's okey to do things ordinary people don't do.  Have you ever heard someone say, " think inside the box"  Well if you have or not, it means the total opposite of "thinking outside the box"  It means that you should probably do something more normal, or ordinary.

Words:

Versatile- 

capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.: a versatile writer.

Prefabricated-

to manufacture in standardized parts or sections ready for quick assembly and erection, as buildings.

Linerboard-

The paper cover of corrugated board covering the medium, which is in the middle

I call dibs on What is a spit valve?  A spit valve is a  tool you use to put on a instrument. It collects the water that comes out of your mouth. It also helps the instument that you're using it for. Some of those instuments you can use it for  are Trumpets, and Trombones, clairnet, saxaphone.  The water key or spit valve is a small hole that's usuaslly closed. Pressing the water key opens the small hole, allowing the water to empty.  Here are the wonder words are alto, soprano, and last but not least valve. lIf you want to go and see some morefacts click the link below.

[LINK]

i call how much water is in a watermellon

Watermellon are great fruits they are juicey and delishouse but they grow like a veggie. Some people think that they are a veggie. The Watermellon is not a veggie just related to cucombers and i little bite of pumpkin.People believe that watermelon were first developed in Africa and were first harvest about 5,000 years ago. Each bit of watermelon is 92% water and 6% suger. You can also have the watermelon rinds. Watermelons are a heathy snack and have lots of vitamin C.

contestant:always or all the time

juicy: lots of flavor and full of juice

hydrated:  staying cool and drinking lots of water

They believe there are probably too many sharks to count, but estimate around 400 million species and over a billion sharks altogether.  There are lots of different kinds, all but two kinds, the River Shark and the Bull Shark, stay in the ocean.  These two species can also be found in fresh water.  Sharks have been around as long as dinosaurs, some say longer, but around 450 million years.  The largest kind of shark is a whale shark, about 60 feet long, and the smallest is a dwarf lantern shark, approximately 7 inches long.  Sharks don't have skeletons.  They have cartilage not bones, like people have in their ears and noses.  Sharks are my favorite ocean creature but I'd rather read about them than swim with them.  The new words I learned from reading this Wonderopolis report were Cartilage:  the connective tissue that sharks are made of instead of bones.  Mariners:  Old time sailors.   Recreational:  Do something for fun.

Jelly fish don't produce jelly. Jellyfish aren't fish at all! They lived in the sea before dinosaurs. jelly fish don't have bones, brains,blood,or even a heart!Their body is not jelly but it's 90 percent water. So if you take them out of water they just become blobs. So Jellyfish are not made out of jelly!

VOCABULARY

Elegant = means beautiful

Plankton = are closely related to coral and sea anemones

Prey = food for predator

I call dibs on "What is Your Favorite Holiday Cookie!"

Mmm! I'm doing #427 or "What is Your Favortie Holiday Cookie!" Some of the interesting things I've learned is that Historieans believe that baking cookies started a hundred years ago, and that they soon started selling them in stores with different shapes! English and Dutch immigrants brought cookie recipies in the 1600's. Gingerbread cookies were the most popular a long time ago. Today, people make many different cookies into many different shapes, and sizes. So what is your favorite cookie?

Three of The Wonder Words:

tradition-Something that you do constitantly over and over about each year.

exchange-Something that is similar to trading.

aroma-The smell of something (good or bad smell!)

Thanks for looking at my report! -Ava Heerick :)

Pictures:

Hippies are a group of people who weant against conformity. Hippies got there name because they were hip and knew what was going on around them. Hippes also were different clothes lots of them had barefeet and wore bell-bottomed jeans and tye-dyed shirts.Did you know thatthe hippie movment just wasnt about being different from the public. Hippies protested the Vietnam War because thay felt it was too much fighting. They also put peace sybols on many thing to show their bad feelings of war. Also, hippies showed themselves through music like psychedelic rock 'n' roll.  Some hippie protests were called sit-ins because they would sit down and not leave from that spot. Hippies are not just in Amrica thay were also in Mecixo, Great Briten, New Zealand and Chile. Now that you know this ask your self...are you a hippie?

Global: World wide

Abandon: to leave behind

Generation:A line of family members

It's not the sun, it's not the moon, it's not mount Everest either, well, we're not exactly sure on whats's the biggest thing we can see thouh a telescope, but the largest thing we can see with the bare eye is the Andromeda Galxy, which is comeing STRIGHT AT US. There is many larger galxies out there, but most can be only be seen though the largest telescopes, like the Hubble and Kech oberbatory. Now a new telescope is being added to the list. The Thirty Meter Telescope is due to be constructed in 2018. Thirty meters is nearly a hundred feet across! T.M.T will help us answer our original question.                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Wonderful Wonder Words:

PEER: To look though something to look at another.                                                                                        TELESCOPE: An instrament that gathers light, makeing things look bigger.                                                   HUMONGOUS: of large size.          

I call D I B S on what is a hat trick

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM GMT • comment • Reads 46

A hat trick is 3 goals scorred by a player in cricket, soccer, and hockey, but is most known in soccer. Only the best players have aconplished this challenge. Jimmy Greaves is the soccer player with the most hat tricks, with 6. Although most known in soccer, the term was origially from the English sport "Cricket".

a "natural" or "flawless" hat trick is when a player scores 3 goal with no other goals in the game. A "perfect" or "golden" hat trick is when a player scores 3 goals 1 with the left foot, one with the rifgt foot, and one with the head.

My wonder of the day is # 256 or, What Is Gibberish? Gibberish is actually another saying for talking alot or saying things that dont really have a english meaning.For example, blah blah blah, that is gibberish or another word for it is Mumbo Jumbo. Some people call it blaber and others call it yammering. Also, to speak gibberish, you just add gibberish letters , numbers or signs , for example, cat is to - catdnfds in gibberish. see you add a lot of just random letters to the end of your word. it is actually really fun to talk gibberish. and this is a funny way to put gibberish in public...

.blah blah yellow sign_shutterstock_20194870 

Babbling- talk a lot about a lot of random things

Yammering- Talking a lot or continously

gibberish-  adding random letters to the end of a word

below, there is a atachment to wonderopolis...check it out, its really cool!!!!!

www.wonderopolis.org

Some germs actually are good for you but that doesn`t mean they`re all good for you.  The four main types of germs are bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa.  In the article Can Germs Be Good For You?  They focused on bacteria.  Your body contains over 100 trillion bacterial cells.  You have ten times the number of bacterial cells than human cells.  One of your bacterial cells is one-thousandth the size of one of your human cells.  Sometimes some of your bacterial cells can cause you to get sick every once in a while.  But most of your bacterial cells keep your body balanced and healthy though.  The good bacteria lives in your intestines and they help make the best use of the nutrients you eat in your food.  Then whats leftover that your body doesnt need, you put it into the toilet.  Some researchers think that good bacteria may help prevent diabestes and asthma.  The good bacteria help make the immune system function correctly and may even hold off cancer, even bacteria living on your skin helps prevent infections.  Scientists also found out that medicines and vaccines are made from bacteria.

Wonder Words To know and use:

~ Germ - Germs are are like a virus that cause you to get sick

Bacteria - Bacteria is a type of virus

Vaccines - Vaccines are a type of medicine

I CALL DIBS ON How can Video Games be good for you?

Have ever wondered how video games could be good for you?  Because they can be!  For one, playing on the computer or a normal video games with buttons are good for hand-coordination.  ALso thanks to Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony there are video games that can be fun and give you exersice.

Wonder Words:

Awesome - Extremely cool.

Suffer - To take in something bad or unpleasent all at once.

Reaction - How you react to something.

I am doing wonder #473 "Who Invented Sticky Notes?" Did you know that the adhesive on the back of the sticky note lets you be able to reuse it a couple times? In 1968 Dr.Spencer Silver invented an adhesive ,he was trying to make a very strong adhesive, but instead he made a very weak one. In 1974 Art Fry was frustrated that all his bookmarks were falling out of his books. Then he remembered that Dr. Silver invented an adhesive and with that he invented sticky notes. They never ripped his pages or lost his place in the Hymnal.

Hymnal: A Book of Songs

Solution: An answer

Adhesive: A substance that is sticky allowing one thing to stick to another

I'm doing Why Are They Called "S'mores"? Have you ever thought who invented s'mores? We don't know! They were first published in a Traming And Trailing Girl Scouts cooking book. Loretta Scott Crew was given credit for making the recipe because she made them by a campfire for her Girl Scouts. They are called s'more because it's short for "some s'mores". This named was invented by the Girl Scouts in 1971. You make s'mores by getting two graham crackers and chocolate bars and don't forget the marshmallows!

Vocabulary

Marshmallow- A round squishy and white tasty food.

Gooey- Near to melting substance that if touched will stick.

Varieties- Very many of one kind.

Article posted January 23, 2012 at 03:41 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 45

I'm doing" Why Are They Called "S'mores"? I Call it!

im doing this one.

have you ever wondered what makes flamingos pink.Baby flamingos are grey when they are born.But they only eat shrimp and alge.They are high in pigments called carotenoids, that is also the reason that shrimp turn from grey to pink when we boil them.If a flimingo stops eating shrimp it feathers colors will fade.

ornithology is the study of birds. I study omnithology

a habitat is a place where a kind of animal lives.this is a habitat.

balenced means even. I eat on a balaced diet

I am doing the alien thing on Wonderopolis. Sometimes people think that there is a UFO but it turns out to be an airplane or a missile or something like that. I think that aliens are real because our universe is probably HUGE but sometimes people think that they aren't. It is hard to believe that UFOs are real because I think it is probably impossible for someone to be beamed into a spacecraft. one time there was a weather balloon that had been sent up into the air had debris in it. and at the same time a pilot saw a bunch of flying saucers which he thought were UFOs.

philosopher: someone who studies something

saucer: a small disc

debris: wrekage of some thing

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 12:29 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 65

I'm doing #456, Can you be hypnotized? This is a very startling fact, but you can be hypnotized. But not like you think. Like you don't lose control, your fully awake, but not as aware of your surroundings as you usually are. Its just little things like quitting smoking or stop eatting meat. After New Year is usually the besiest time of year for a hypnotist because of the resolutions people make. They just don't want to hold onto it, so they go to the hypnotist to help them. The kind of hypnosis you do on stage is jest for fun, not like this at all. Some times, in the movies, the person hypnotizing is a magician, but I'm not sure that's true.

Wonder words:

Hypnotized~to be in a trance                                                   

Hypnotist~someone that hypnotizes people

Magician~someone that does magic tricks

Hypnotize

Today’s wonder is one you will really sink your teeth or fangs into. What do vampires and snakes have in common? Well my wonder of the day is ''How do fangs work''. Snakes use their fangs in special ways like when they inject venom into their prey to immobilize them. Snake venom is a type of saliva produced by special glands. Venom contains a mixture of many different types of proteins and enzymes. Many of these proteins and enzymes are harmless to humans, but some are toxic. When the snakes are not using their fangs the fangs sort of fold up inside their mouth .Scientists sometimes catch venomous snakes and take the venom from their fangs by squeezing the venom sac in their heads to force the release of the venom into a container. They then use this venom to create a special medicine called “antivenin” that can be used to save the lives of people bitten by snakes. I have enjoyed learning about snakes and hope to come to wonderopolis in the future. 

-Wonder Words-

Fangs- Long sharp teeth that are used to bite and tear flesh.

Poisonous- Producing poison to attack enemies or prey.

Toxic- Poisonous substances.

Article posted January 23, 2012 at 02:49 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 65

Cats love catnip like dogs love bones. Catnip is actually part of the mint family. There is almost 250 speices of catnip in the world. Amazingly catnip can grow from two to three feet tall and it can have flowers from blue to pink. The leaves and stems contain an oil called nepetalactone cats rspond to this product fresh and ground up (which it usually is). Some cats are effected by this at all only 50 to 70 percent of cats respond to catnip. Even some bigcats go crazy over it.

• feline- Cat including bigcat and domestic cat.

.

• hallucinogenic- A drug or material that can make hallucinations.

• pheromone- a chemical that is made by a speices that effects the animals behavior

Vocabulary

Petter Cooper was the first to make a steam locomotive, but that is not what we are talking about today.He also made something called gelatin.Do you know what gelatin is. If you do cool dont spoil it. Gelatin is a processed protein called Collagen. The protein can be found in many animals and humans.It make things in your body flexible and strechy. Such as skin,ligaments and tendons. Cool right now you know. Some of it is also in your bones and fingernails. Here now you say something. Are you hungry? If you have ever had Jell-O you know it has a weird figure. We dont eat the gelatein from your bones but just collagen extracted. Gelatin is in more than you think. Like jellies, soups,marshmellows and gummy bears.

Woder words

Gelatin= A flopy and jiggley supstance

Appetizing= Something that looks good or yummy

Flexible=  A thing that can bend far

Wonderopolis          

#425

Could You Be Royalty?

Could you be royalty? Probably not. When kids think about royalty, kids usually think about  Cinderella,Snow White or other fairy Princesses. On the other hand some kids think about  real princesses like Princess Diana. Royalty

formed in medieval Europe centuries ago. What happened when a king died ? Well  when a king dies  his heirs would succeed him, usually according to the rules of inheritance of money and property. Other nobles would pass on their titles and positions to their heirs in a similar way. Not in every county people called a king a king. Here is a list of what  kings are called in different countries.....

• Japan and Ancient Rome: emperor/empress

• Ancient Egypt: pharaoh

• India: raja

•  Muslim countries: sultan

So could you be royalty? Probably not the odds are realy against you.

Wonder words :

hail- to bow and praise real enthusiastically

royalty- a person who has royal blood

territories- land separated in certain areas

Article posted January 31, 2012 at 12:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 44

How are Dolphins and Porpoises different

Most people are fascinated with dolphins and porpoises. Humans think they're the same.

Actually dolphins and porpoises are very different in many ways.   It is very hard to tell they're difference if you haven't seen them up close.  It's because  Porpoises are part of the scientific family Phocoenidae, and dolphins are part of the Delphinidae family.  Dolphins can be 10 feet long (or they can be longer!), porpoises are not so often longer than 7 feet. Dolphins also tend to be leaner and sleeker, while porpoises are more compact and often look chubby in comparison.

Dolphins usually have birdbeak-like pointed snouts, while porpoises have blunt, rounded noses like pigs. Porpoises have fins, like a shark. Unlike porpoises, dolphins have dorsal fins that are more curved like an ocean wave.

The teeth of the two animals is the easiest way to tell them apart. Porpoise teeth are flat and rectangular. Dolphin teeth are sharp and cone-shaped.

While the physical differences between dolphins and porpoises are small, the differences in the way they behave are more obvious. Dolphins travel  in large groups and show little fear of humans. Dolphins are outgoing and will often interact with humans and even swim alongside boats.

Porpoises don't travel in big groups they travel in pods of two to four and are quite scared of humans. They almost never come up to boats of people. In fact, you barely see them at the top of the water unless they’re coming up to breathe. If you have ever seen an animal at a marine show, it will most likely to be a dolphin, not a porpoise.

The life expectancy of both mammals are very different. While most porpoises only live 15 to 20 years, dolphins can live up to 50 years or more. Scientists believe this difference may be caused by the fact that porpoises reproduce faster than dolphins and it takes a toll on their bodies.

One last difference about these creatures are that dolphins produce sounds that humans can hear. They share  many characteristics and  they look very similar. For example, both sea creatures are mammals. Although both mammals live in the ocean, niether of them are fish. Like all mammals, they have lungs instead of gills, so they breathe air. They also give birth and nurse them after they’re born.Porpoises and dolphins are both members of the same scientific order, Cetacea. Cetacea includes all whales, which are relatives of dolphins and porpoises. Dolphins and Porpoises are both beautiful creatures of the deep!

Words

Dolphin-Aquatic mammal

Porpoises- Aquatic mammal

Characteristics- Genes that make up a noun

Family- A group of people that are related

Gills- Breathing lines that aquatic things need an order to survive.

Lungs- Organs that you to breath.

Similar- Almost the same but not excactly

•  

Do you know what the lewis and clark expidition was? On May 14,1804 a small group of people were asked to go on an expidition to explore. The Loiusiana territory had just been bought from france. President jefferson asked lewis and clark to go explore this land. They had alot of important stuff to complete.

wonder words

journey- a expidition

explore- to discover  or look

trade- barter

Article posted January 23, 2012 at 07:34 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 139

Fool’s gold is called Fool’s Gold because it fools people! The fake gold looks like gold but is worthless! Many people mistake this mineral for gold because of its shininess and yellowish color. During the gold rush many people went west to find gold but found Pyrite, another name for Fool’s Gold.  People can tell that Fool’s Gold is Pyrite because it can’t be scratched by a fingernail, but gold can. Gold has no smell while Pyrite will smell like rotten eggs when hit by a hammer. Pyrite is named after the Greek word puritēs which means ”on fire” because it will cause a spark when hit by something harder than it.  So the next time you go looking for gold don’t let Fool’s Gold fool you! 

Gold: A soft metal that is rare and valuable.

Pyrite:A hard mineral that is often mistaken for gold.

The Gold Rush: In the mid 1800s, thousands of people went west to find gold. 

Do dogs shop at flea markets?

Do dogs really shop at flea markets, of corse not. But do flea markets actually sell fleas? Not a chanse! Then were did the name come from? Many people think the name flea market came form Paris. A popular market there was called Le Marché aux Puces which means the market of the fleas. Its name came from the fact that most people thought the old goods sold there often contained fleas.you might find books, clothes, phones, or even fruniture you never know. you can just browse, buy or even swap and trade items. Most items are inexpensive.

Flea:  A tiny insect that makes dogs itch

swap: to trade a item without paying

inexpensive: a very cheap item

Browse: to look over somt

Article posted February 1, 2012 at 01:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 44

I choose this article because it looked interesting. I found out it was interesting. Raptor originally comes from the Latin word "rapere". The word "Raptor" is the general term for all birds of prey. "Birds of prey are very powerful birds that have a extremly good sight sense". Some examples of raptors (or "birds of prey") are condors, falcons, and eagles. Raptors usually hunt in the day. SOme raptors like vultures, eat the dead bodys of gone by animals. Raptors are usually at the top of their food chain because they're very dngerous. That's what I learned from this awesome artical.

Vocabulary:

Carrion: The body or bodys of dead animals.

Prey: Something that is in danger of a predator.

Vertebrate: The spine in a body.

i am doing how did april fools day begin

April fools day is not a actuall hoilday but on April first is a day of jokes from your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers and even teachers might come up wth a joke that tickles your funny bone. But the real quetion is how and who came up with this day? Some people believe that April fools day is a desire to celebrate the seasons they celebrate this around springtime. In fact some of the cultures celebrated this around april. Others believe April fools day got started because the adoption of the new calendar in 1582. Although nobody knows how or when April fools day started. We still celebrated it with glee year in and year out. More people do jokes to each other each year!

Prank- A joke that fools a something 

Practical joke:   A general sillyness or a very funny joke

Prank: to trick or to joke around with something

Elaborate: A big prank

Article posted January 26, 2009 at 06:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 42

No,the sky is not falling. Many people wonder if the sky is falling because the satellites and "space junk"are sometimes falling from the earths atmosphere. We believe that 20,000 pieces of space junk orbit the earth. Sometimes even at 5 miles per second. Space is also filled with rocks and stones called meteoroids. The earths ozone layer helps keep the meteoroids out from entering the earths atmosphere. On their flight to earth, objects meet the wind from the air in the atmosphere. When this happens it causes friction and makes a lot of heat. In fact most of the objects burn up on their flight. If a piece of meteoroid is big enough to survive the way down it is hot and we usually call them shooting stars, falling stars or meteors. Only 4 people have been hit by a meteor but none have had serious damage. Only 1 person has been hit in 1997 by a piece of space junk. It was a piece of the Delta ll rocket and felt like somebody was tapping her. By the way, the odds of getting hit by space junk is 1 out of 100 trillion. Getting hit by lightning is 1 out of 60,000.

Wonder Words

Atmosphere-- Is the earths space.

Meteoroid-- rocks and stones of all different sizes.

meteor-- Is when a meteoroid survives its flight down to earth.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 01:56 AM GMT • comment • Reads 43

Everyone loves jeans!!! Jeans are made from a material called "denim". In fact denim gets its name from the town "de' nimes". Denim pants were made in Italy and sold through the harbor of Genoa. Jeans are a very famous clothes styling now-a-days. I <3 JEANS! :D

Immagrant- Someone who has come to the U.S for a better life.

Denim- A material to make pants out of.

Styling- Type of clothing that somenone has interest in.

Why does Jell-O Jiggle?

Jello is made out of gelatin. This protein can be found in many animals and humans.Glelatin is a processed protein called collagen.Collagen is what makes skin,legaments and tendons stretchy and flexable.It also comes  from bones and fingernails.The jello we eat comes from collagen extracted from the ground bones or from hooves and connective tissues of animals like pigs and cows. So vegans, who dont eat animal products,do not eat Jell-O,or any product containing glelatin.There are alot of foods contain Gelatin.Here are some foods that have gelatin in it they are jellies,soups,marshmallows and even gummy bears!So that is how jello jiggle.

.Gelatin- is processed protein called collagen

Appetizing-is something that taste really good 

vegan-someone who does not eat animal products or any product containing gelatin  

What is a cannonball? A cannonball is something everybody loves doing even parents. I've always wondered how you make a splash. The answer is that your body plunges down under water then the water gets forced in every which way shooving water up in the air. Cannonballs are neat because of the concept. I enjoy cannonballs do you?

Are Sea Anemones Plants or Animals? This is what I call dibs on.

Did you know that there are animals that act like plants and look like them? One animal is a sea anemone (uh-NEM-uh-nee) that how you sound it out. I think it looks like a flower because it was named after a beautifully-colored anemone flower. Did you the oceans of the world contain over 1,000 different species of all kind of sea anemones. In the tropical waters, the largest sea anemones can usually be found there. Did you that sea anemones are close relives of coral and jellyfish. Sea anemones mostly live attached to rocks on the sea floor or on coral reefs. I think thats why Sea anemones are relatives to coral. What is your oppinons. My wonder of words are reef, coral and relationship. Reef means to lower or shorten. Coral means a hard substance made up of the skeletons of certain marine animals (called polyps). Relationship means a being related.                                                                          .

I'm amazing