Hello! welcome to Courtneys Page!!!-

In Iceland, some of their traditions are hanging snow flake ornaments to represent christmas snow. A really cool tradition is they put out little elves to represent christmas goblins or elves and they are called, Jolasveninar.Also they hang candals made of mutton tallow on a tree by fastning them down with wire.The seson starts 13 days before christmas day. According to 13 century legend, two ogres lived in the mountains and the womans name was Gryla and her husbands name was and Gryla went from house to house begging food. At Christmas time, she stole children that had been bad during the past year. In 1746 the king of Iceland forbade the telling of this folk tale. From then on, the children (Jolasveinar) of the two ogres became associated with the Christmas season.

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 09:34 AM • comment • Reads 46 • see all articles