Spring!-

For my Language Arts book I did....

Among the Hidden  By:Margaret Peterson Haddix

For my Sci Fi novel I got "Among the Hidden" by Margaret Peterson Haddix.I wanted to read this book because it seemed so interesting and Sloane told me it was a REALLY good book.And I DEFINETLY agree with Sloane.Something that was really exciting was when Luke found another shadow children. He made BEST FRIENDS with her.Of course I would recommend this book to anyone!Why?Because it had A LOT of description in it, and it was so interesting.If you don't like "Among the Hidden", then you can choose some other series by Margaret Peterson Haddix.Here are some of the other series...

My most important useful technology in my life is the COMPUTER. It makes my life better because it helps me do research or homework. It was convinced in 1786 by J.H. Muller, but rediscovered in 1822 by Englishman Charles Babbage, AKA, "The Father of the Computer. Here's a picture of what the computer looks like....

The Specific Nonfiction I like that I am interested in is  a Lynx. I am interested in Lynx because they are my favorite animal in the whole wide world. I already know that Lynx have pointy ears, they are medium sized wild cats, they have a ruff under the neck which has black bars, which also looks like a bow tie kind of. Another thing is they also have big, padded paws for large snow. There are different types of lynx like the Canada Lynx, Eurasian Lynx, and Iberian Lynx.

These are some pictures of types of Lynx. The first one is a Canadian Lynx, second one, Eurasian Lynx, and the third one is a Iberian Lynx.

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 12:55 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 33

For Wonderopolis #2, I am doing #509, "Have you ever lost your Marbles?"

Some interesting things from my reading was that the 'saying', "I must be loosing my marbles!" doesn't actually mean you lost your marbles, unless you actually did loose your marbles. It's just a saying that was made up in the 1800's. No one knows who made it up, but that's just when you loose something.

Wonder Words!:

Marble-a glass ball that is used to play games

Exclaim-To make a statement

Amazed-You can't believe it or you're starstrucked

How "Have you ever lost your Marbles" Effects my life :

My reading effects my life because I usually loose A LOT of things.

My reading effects my future because when I get older, I'm going to be a writter, and a writter has to keep up with things just like every job does.

My reading effects my other relatives because we all loose a lot of things. But some of us keep up with SOME things.

Ava H.

My Thoughts on Poems:

Some Poets that I enjoy are "How Not to Have the Dry Dishes" by Shel Silverstein. I also enjoy some other poems by him. Some types of poems I enjoy are End Rhyme or Rhyme. Devices I'm good at finding are End Rhyme, Rhyme, and Alliterations. Some devices I think I would use is End Rhyme, Alliteration, and Rhyme. My creative poems would be like Personification, Alliteration, End Rhyme, and Rhyme. 

How Not to Have the Dry Dishes-

If you have to dry the dishes

(Such an awful boring chore)

If you have to dry the dishes

('Stead of going to the store)

If you have to dry the dishes

(And maybe drop it on the floor)--

Maybe they won't let you

dry the dishes anymore.

By: Shel Silverstein

This poem made me feel very funny, because I could do what Shel Silverstein said, because I hate drying the dishes (Sometimes). :)

Pic:

This is one of my favorite poems by: Shel Silverstein. It's called-

Poet's Tree-By:Shel Silverstein

Underneath the Poet Tree

Come and rest awhile with me,

And watch the way the word-web weaves

Between the shady story leaves.

The branches of the Poet Tree

Reach from the mountains to the sea.

So come and dream, or come and climb--

Just don't get hit by falling rhymes.

-Shel Silverstein

I enjoy this poem because I love rhyme, and when I read it, I feel like I'm in the picture....

Mmm! I'm doing #427 or "What is Your Favortie Holiday Cookie!" Some of the interesting things I've learned is that Historieans believe that baking cookies started a hundred years ago, and that they soon started selling them in stores with different shapes! English and Dutch immigrants brought cookie recipies in the 1600's. Gingerbread cookies were the most popular a long time ago. Today, people make many different cookies into many different shapes, and sizes. So what is your favorite cookie?

Three of The Wonder Words:

tradition-Something that you do constitantly over and over about each year.

exchange-Something that is similar to trading.

aroma-The smell of something (good or bad smell!)

Thanks for looking at my report! -Ava Heerick :)

Pictures:

I call dibs on "What is Your Favorite Holiday Cookie!"

Egypt's Holiday Traditions:

Here is some infomation about what I learned about what Egypt does for their holiday tradition. Egypt's Holiday Greeting is "Merry Christmas", Joyeux Noel" in French, and "I 'D Miilad Said Oua Saida" in Arabic. The location is Africa, and the tree type is cultural.  Some of Egypt's decorations are designed, and reflect both the ideals of Coptic Church, and Egyptain Culture. The pyramid on their cultural tree is one of the decorations. It represents Egypt's antiquity while the ankh. The ankh serves as a symbol of the cross for the Coptic Church, which follows the eastern rites of Chirstianity. It and the images of saints found on the Museum's Egyptain tree are traditional symbols of the Coptic Church. Another decoration that Egypt has on their tree is the Ancient Egyptain Symbol for Life. It represents the blending of modernity and old custom's in Egypt. Some of the Traditions are that their Christmas is preceded by 40 days of fasting for strict members of the Coptic Church.The Christians in the Coptic Church eat any kind of animal products during the month of December. When it is Christmas Eve (January 6th), people go to church for the evening survice dressed in new clothes and find hundreds of candles illuminating the building in honor of the candles Jesus lit to keep the Virgin Mary catching cold on the night of the Nativity. On Christmas Morning, friends and family visit, and share a shortbread called kaik and a drink called Shortbat. I think that Egyptians have a fun, and wonderful Christmas. I think I would like to go there one day, and see their Christmas Traditions. 

Some of Egypt's Tradition Pictures:

Article posted November 29, 2011 at 12:10 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 50

Revolutionary War Book-Hope's Crossing...

Here is my Revolutionary War Book in L.A. It is called "Hope's Crossing".So far, Hope's Crossing is about were a girl named Hope and her family get taken away from her family. Hope's family gets taken on a boat, and just Hope by herself is all alone without any of her family is with a boy named Mr. Thomas, Mr. Thomas' wife Elsbeth, and a SWEET loving woman who's name is Mother Thomas. When Hope is on the boat, she gets FREEZING cold traveling. So Mother Thomas helps her to get all of the love she needs, and all of the warmth she needs. But Mr. Thomas is mean, and Elspeth is mean, cruel, and has no love for Mother Thomas, or Hope. 

So at night, Mother Thomas, and Hope deside to make a plan. They decide to sneek out at night when Mr. Thomas and Elspeth are fast asleep. Hope and Mother Thomas quietly get their belongings. It was hard to find Hope any small out fits that she could wear. They quietly clime up a latter, and go outside. But, they have to be careful, and be aware of the dogs. Before the dogs could bark, Mother Thomas gives the dogs bacon, and moves on with Hope on her side.

Mother Thomas and Hope travel to Bedford, then to New York city to get to Hope's family. They see a boat. A boat that is so beautiful. It is someone that Mother Thomas knows. He offers them for a ride to get to the building at New York city; and their Mother Thomas and Hope go traveling a few more miles to New York city.    Now Hope and Mother Thomas are actually at New York city. It was SO crowded. They found a building where they could stay for the night. It's Mrs. Doyle's building. They go in Mrs. Doyle's building, and spend the night there for the night. 

Then the next few days, Mother Thomas gets sick. Mother Thomas got the chicken pox. Their friends there called a doctor (Dr. Jordan), and a Nurse (Mrs. Jones.) Now, they have to do everything they can to fix Mother Thomas' Chicken Pox. .......

I hope you like my story about "Hope's Crossing"!!!!!!! Here is also some more infomation about what I think about Hope's Crossing...

My favorite character in this book is Mother Thomas and Hope because they are nice, caring, kind, and brave.

I liked when Mother Thomas stood up for Hope when ever Elspeth was being mean to her. I think Mother Thomas is so nice, and sweet.

I didn't like when Hope's family got taken away, and how Elspeth is SOOO mean!

You might want to read this book if you like interesting stories.

Now, here is some QUESTIONS that you may want to answer...

What is your favorite character?

What is your favorite part in this story?

Would you like to read "Hope's Crossing" for one of your books?

If you ever want to read "Hope's Crossing", then here's what is looks like...

Thanks guys for reading my book "Hope's Crossing"!!!! :) Please comment on anything you like! See ya next time! Bye! :p

My intelligence is a Naturalist, Linguistic, Bodily-Kinesthetic, Interpersonal, and Spatial. For a naturalist, i can use it in science by looking at our expeirements with plants. For Linguistic, I use them in LA, by speaking in differnent ways sometimes. Bodily-Kinesthetic, I use it in Science by moving my hands while making our landforms. Interpersonal, I use it EVERYWHERE. I can tell how people feel , of how they look, like if they're sad, happy, and more. I also have lota of ideas! And last, but not least, Spatial, people tell me I am a good artist, and I pretty much draw everyday. 

This is how I can show some of my intelligence in classes, or anywhere else.

-Ava H. :)

Article posted October 29, 2011 at 02:31 AM GMT • comment (9) • Reads 39

Smartville:

What I like about Smartville is the signs they have hanging up on the wall and I also like how Howard Garder made the "smarts", because if we didn't have them, then there wouldn't be no us. What I also like about Smartville is that klids get teached in different things. And my last thing is they actually learn more about themselves.

Article posted October 18, 2011 at 12:46 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 95

How I am smart:

My Intelligence is a naturalist and a interpersonal. Why? For a naturalist, I love nature, plants, animals and the Earth. For interpersonal, I LOVE drawing, I like reading and writing. Also, I have my own personal hobbies and more.

And that's how I'm smart!

-Ava H.

Love Nature

Love animals

Love reading

Love writing

And last, but not least, I have my own personal hobbies. :)

OH MY GOSH!!!!! My cousin's Halloweeny Birthday Party was SOOO FUN!!!! We got to do lots of things like play "Wrap the Mummy". "Wrap the Mummy" is when you get strong toilit paper, and there is 1 person in the middle, and your team has to try tp wrap it ALL over the person as fast as you can. Then, you win!! And we played some other games too. After that, all of us opened the presents. (20 people @ the party. Sleepover!) What I gave her was some Betty Boop glow-in-the-dark halloween socks, with a Wii game (High School Musical 3 Dance), and a card. Then we went to eat snacks for a little bit, and then we went outside to go wack the pinata. After that, we ate....

ICE CREAM AND CAKE AND CAKE, ICE CREAM AND CAKE AND CAKE.........

After that, we had a campfire, then we went to go see a scary movie. I think it was called "Insitios"??? (Don't know if that's how you really spell it. Just...........

IT WAS SO MUCH FUNNNNNNN!!

-Ava H. ;o

I know we'll be best friends, even if we die.

Best Friend Quotes! Hope you like them!!

-Ava H. :o

Article posted October 6, 2011 at 01:26 AM GMT • comment • Reads 74

All about Hawaii-

Hawaii is a beautiful and great place to go to. Hawaii has lots of cool things. Like...

1. Hawaii's flower is a Yellow Hibiscus.

2. Hawaii's state Capital is Honolulu.

3. Hawaii's State Bird is a Nene

4. The "Humuhumunukunukuapua'a" or called a "Trigger Fish" is their state fish.

5. Hawaii's population is 1,567,096

6. Last but not least, it's a beautiful state, and I would LOVE to go there!

Hawaii                                     

Hi! My name is Ava! I LOVE reading and writing. My favorite Specials is Art because I LOVE drawing, and I like things that are colorful and fun. The sports I play is Soccer and Gymnastics. 

I think I'm going to have a great time in 5th grade this year in Voyager!

-Ava H.

Hi! I'm Ava! The Book I'm reading is called "Umbrella Summer".

What my book is about:

It takes a new neighbor, who looks a plain as a box of toothpicks, but has some surprising secrets of her own, to make Annie realize that her plans for being carful aren't working out as well as she hoped. And with a lot of help from those around her,and a  book about a pig too, Annie just my find a way to close her umbrella of sadness and step back into the sunshine.   

I like my book "Umbrella Summer because their is some interesting things that are funny. I think I would recomend this book to other people. I hope that everybody has a great time reading their Independent Book!

Article posted September 12, 2011 at 05:58 PM GMT • comment (12) • Reads 70

Hi, my name is Ava. I love reading and writing!!! What I like to do in my free time is play, do gymnastics, or just sit down and watch T.V. I hope everyone has a great school year this year!

April Showers brings May flowers! <3