Peace Pray Love Hope-

For my Sci-Fi novel I got Flip.  I chose Flip because it looked interesting and it would be the first big book I read that is not 70 pages.  I think a new reader would like to know that as you go along it gets better.  I would recommend this book because it is about kids a little bit older than us and there are some parts where you might laugh.  For a class project, it would be easier if you were a fast reader.  Some parts Are better than others like when the fight ended because Ace stopped Billy because Taylor was nice to him rather than when Mr. McKenzie yelling at Ryan.  Some parts I could've gone without like when the characters used bad language.  Other thatn that I kInd of liked it.

A very useful invention in my life is the shower.  It makes my life better by making me smell cleaner and more fresh.  The Greeks invented the conventional shower because After a competition, athletes would be sweaty.  

It has a shower head where the water comes out and a drain so the water can come out.

A Non Fiction topic I like are animals.  To be more specific, zebras.  I like zebras because they seem so graceful and I think they're pretty.  I'm interested in this topic because they are my favorite animal and that I like to learn things.  I already know that the Swahili name for zebras is Punda Milia.  Another thing I know is that a Burchell's zebra is 45 to 55 inches at the shoulder.  Grevy's can be 50 to 60 inches to the shoulder.  The lifespan of a zebra is 40 years in capacity.  Zebras usually live woodland areas around open plains.  The animal zebra is a herbivore and is prey to hyenas, leopards, lions, hunting dogs, and cheetahs.  

My blog is about Wonder #512 Why Are There Secret Societies?  It is obviously about secret societies and is about real secret societies going on now.  What I thought was interesting in this article was that secret societies don't have to be secret.  One of the wonder words was Soroity which is an organized group of people meeting together.  Another wonder word was ritual which is a ceremony usually used by sororities and fraternities.  The last wonder word I'll talk about is Freemason.  Which is one of the secret societies that people who built buildings out of stone and most of the people who signed the Declaration of Independence were most likely to be a Freemason.  This topic of the wonder I chose  would affect my everyday life if I chose to create my own secret society.    My career choice later on could be affected by this wonder because I want to be a lawyer and I have a slight chance of hearing about a secret society.  The topic of this wonder could affect people's lives in other countries because other countries probably have secret societies

The Scull and Bones Secret Society                                                                                                                                          The Sanctus Devs Secret Society Symbol

Article posted February 25, 2012 at 12:44 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

My favorite poet is Jack Prelutsky.  Jack Prelutsky is my favorite poet because I like the book Scranimals he wrote.  A topic of poetry I like to read about is silly.  I like silly poems because they make me laugh and I think they are funny.  Some devices I am good at finding are onamonapia, simile, and end rhyme. These are easy devices for me to find because I know them well and understand them the most.  Devices I think I will use are end rhyme, onamonapia, and metaphor.  I will use these because I could do well using these devices.  My creative poems will be silly, no meaning, and I hope they could make someone laugh.  I want to make poems like this because these things I said are what I like to read about.

My Favorite Poem:

Last Night I Dreamed of Chickens

Last night I dreamed of chickens,

there were chickens everywhere,

they were standing on my stomach,

they were nesting in my hair,

they were pecking at my pillow,

they were hopping on my head,

they were ruffling up their feathers

as they raced about my bed.

They were on the chairs and tables,

they were on the chandeliers,

they were roosting in the corners,

they were clucking in my ears,

there were chickens, chickens, chickens

for as far as I could see...

when I woke today, I noticed

there were eggs on top of me. 

My Response:

I think it would be a little strange to have a dream about chickens.  I've always wondered if I have the strangest dreams.  Now I know the strangest poem about chickens and dreams.  I like this poem because I think it is funny and it would be strange to have a dream about chickens.  It would be scary to wake up with chickens as far as I could see.

For my blog I am doin Wonder #449 Can You Think Outside of the box?  Over your holiday season do you think inside the box or outside?  Thinking inside the box is great but try thinking outside the box.  When people say, "think outside the box" they aren'texactly talking about a box.  It is a phrase to encourage others to be creative.  This phrase is pretty much a to say you shouldn't always do common things.  It's okey to do things ordinary people don't do.  Have you ever heard someone say, " think inside the box"  Well if you have or not, it means the total opposite of "thinking outside the box"  It means that you should probably do something more normal, or ordinary.

Words:

Versatile- 

capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.: a versatile writer.

Prefabricated-

to manufacture in standardized parts or sections ready for quick assembly and erection, as buildings.

Linerboard-

The paper cover of corrugated board covering the medium, which is in the middle

The Slovak Replublic Traditions

The Slovak Republic is located in Central Europe and thier traditional Christmas greeting is, "Vasele Vianoce A stastkivy Novy Rok." Cecorations on a Traditional Christmas Tree are onaments that are colored to represent the national colors of the Solvokia flag.  A tradition the Slovak Republic holds is buying nuts, poppyseeds, and flour all necessary for holiday baking.  Another tradition is St. Nicholas (known as Mikulas in this country)  visits homes on December 6 and gives candies, chocolates, nuts, and speacial fruits.  If they were bad, they would get coal.  The presents would be put in their shoes or given to them if he were to come in the house.  In the slovak Republic, duruing Christmas time, it is time for them to reconciliate.  Families, friends, and neighbors also return borrowed items to thier owner. Christmas Eve morning the women clean the whole house, paint the floor under the table whitewash, and chain the chair legs together to symblize families being tied together in unity.  On Christmas Eve (Vilija) the mother puts a white tablecloth opver the table to symlify Baby Jesus swaddling in cloth.  On the middle of the table, the mother places a round loaf of bread to symbolize Jesus being the Bread of Life.  Next to the round bread sits a candle which symbolizes the star of Bethlehem.  The father of the household carries in clean straw and spreads it around the floor of his house. This symbolizes the the straw of the manger.  The family washes their hands and faces in a well or stream before eating the supper made.  These things are done in rememberance of the story that the shepherds washed themselves before going to see Baby Jesus laying in the manger.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 01:37 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

Toliver's Secret

In Toliver's Secret, Ellen Toliver finds out about a secret message that is baked into a loaf of bread.  Ellen is trusted to get the loaf of bread to Jolly Fox Tavern in Elisabeth Town.  On Ellen's way to Elisabeth Town she endures many obstacles.  Ellen Toliver misses the fishing boat and is thrown on a boat filled with british soldiers.  Dow, a british soldier, tries to eat the bread for he hasn't had something sinceable to eat fo a long time.  The second obstacle is she is sent to the wrong town.  Ellen finds out she is sent to Amboy and not Elisabeth Town.  Third, Ellen runs/ walks thirteen miles to Eisabeth Town, but encounters a stranger.  Mr. Murdock, a man on a horse carring baskets frightens Ellen into a bush.  Murdock rides Ellen to his house for supper.  On the way, Ellen drops Mr. Murdock's baskets and the loaf of bread into a river.  Her clothes get soaked so when they get to his house, Mistress Murdock tries to take off Ellen's pants to dry and right before she does Ellen runs away.  Ellen runs a few miles and gets to Elisabeth Town.  But, her journey is not over.  She asks a blacksmith where the Jolly Fox Tavern is and he does not tell her.  For the blacksmith thinks she is a thief.  So Ellen runs some more and hears laghter.  Then, some men walk away from the Jolly Fox Tavern!  Ellen asks a women with a flag in her hair in Jolly Fox Tavern if Mr. Shannon is here. It turns out the lady's name was Mrs. Shannon.  But too bad Mr. Shannon was sent to the woods for some more ale.  Ellen was told that his trip will be two days. .......................To Be Continued.

Musical smarts can help me in life for many reasons. I am going to tell you how I can use this smart in school. Even more particular, music class. First reason is in that I can listen to the rythms and sing. Second, is I can here sounds and melodies and imagine words to them. Everyone has their own talents and smarts they just have to find them! I love music!

Enhancing Education: A Children's Producer's Guide.

I think Edutopia is a great thing for kids to do so they can do what they are best at. When I watched the video I saw kids interacting with each other learning the same thing and having fun doing that. There are eight sections of learning. Like word smart, nature smart, and body smart. Edutopia I think is a great place to learn, interact, and have fun.

My favorite part of Edutopia is Smartville. I think Smartville is cool and I wish Voyager had Smartville! Peanut Post is my favorite part of Smartville. I Peanut Post is my favorite part because it looks busy and always on the move sending mail.like that in Smartville you can use your smarts to be an adult there. Also how you learn how would use your smarts when you are an adult.

Boys walking together in hall reviewing papersGirl at desk with a big smileGirl carrying a bin out of the office that's painted like a post office

Everyone is smart in different things. One person might be good at this and some person might be good at that. have verbal- linguistic intelligence, I enjoy puzzles, word games, rhymes, and a lot of other things. I also have mathmatical skills by me liking to analyze, solve problems, organization, structure, and logical sequences. I have spatial intelligence because I like colos, drawing, doodling, and a lot of other things. There is alot of other things I am good at and I'm sure you are good at a lot of other things too.

My state is Virginia. There are alot of cool facts about Virginia. Like, there state motto is, " Thus Always to Tyrant." Their state bird is the Cardinal. And there state tree is an American Dogwood. Also, there state beverage is milk. I love milk and I love Virginia!

Article posted September 27, 2011 at 10:09 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 51

I am reading the book Sarah, Plain and Tall. I read the book in 3rd grade, but I wanted to read it again. I love this book! In the book Jacob the son of Anna and Caleb live in a prairie house. Their mother was sick when she was having Caleb and she died. I just finished the book and it was great! I'm gonna read it again already. I would not recommend this book to a boy. But a girl might like it. 

Article posted September 12, 2011 at 07:18 PM GMT • comment (17) • Reads 73

Hi. My name is Sarah. My birthday is September 7, 2001. My favorite colors are PURPLE, blue, limegreen, and pink. Two of my friends are Marissa and Hannah. I also go to Bethesda Baptist Church and go to Voyager Academy.

I go to school at Voyager Academy, I go to Bethesda Baptist Church, and I have amazing friends!