Lance's Blog!-

How Many Hotdogs Can You Eat In 10 Minutes?

Have you ever wondered how many hot dogs you can eat in 10 minutes, who holds the record  for how many hotdogs you can eat in 10 minutes or where the hot dog got its name , if so you will find out in this article. No food says summer like the hot dog. Maybe that's why July is national hot dog month. Althuogh nobody knows how hot dogs became such a popular symbol of summer, but there is a guess on why it's related to Fourth of July celebrations. There is a popular New York legend that says that four immigrants had a hot dog eating contest to see who was more patriotic, it took place at Nathan's Famous hot dog stand on July 4,1916. Since then Nathan's Famous hot dog stand on Coney Island has been the site of a hot dog eating competition every year July 4. Today it's the most famous hot dog eating competition in the world. During the contest 20 people compete to see who can eat the most hot dogs in 10 minutes. The winner in addition to bragging rights and maybe indegestion getsto wear a special jeweled mustard-yellow belt. Joey Chesnut of San Jose, California holds the world record for eating the most hot dogs in 10 minutes. On July 4, 2009 He ate 68 hot dogs in 10 minutes, with buns. But you know what's more incredible, how many hot dogs Americans eat each year. According to the National hot dog and sausage council, Americans eat more than 20 billion hot dogs each year. More than 155 million of those hot dogs are eaten on the Fourth of July weekend alone! What's your favorite hot dog topping? Most of the time adults get mustard and kids get ketchup, but I want to know your favorite. If you're wondering how the name hot dog came about then here's the answer, people believe sports cartoonist Tad Dorgan came up with the name. At a 1901 baseball game, a new food- hot dachshund sausages in buns- were being sold. Dorgan heard the people saying" Get your dachshund sausages while they're hot" He drew a cartoon of the seen but he didn't know how to spell " dachshund" so he just called them "hot dogs". The rest they say is history.

Immigrant- A person that traveled from another country to North America.

Average- The average american eats 60 hot dogs a year.

Cartoonist- Someone who draws cartoons. 

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM • comment • Reads 121 • see all articles