Sam's blog-

Why did you want to read this book?

I didn’t really want to read this book. It was the only other book that looked cool besides Among the Hidden, the book I wanted to read.

What is one really exciting or interesting moment in the book that you think a new reader would like to hear about?

A person would like to read about the first time Tycho goes to the future. In this part, Tycho sees the best future of all the futures he goes to in the book. This is the best one because it really shows how humans can evolve and become better people. This is shown by the very advanced city and mix of cultures that he encounters on the trip.

Would you recommend this book to another reader? Why or why not?

I would recommend this book to another reader who likes a time travel theme. In this book, Tyco finds a small egg that lets him time travel. The book is also filled with lots of time paradoxes. For example, Tycho goes back in time to pull a prank on his older siblings and changes his life from that point on.

I believe is an important invention because it allows for entertainment at home. I find this particularly useful because I am an only child and often must play by myself. Most X-box games allow for split screen play, this allows me to play with my friends as well as by myself. Microsoft is the company which developed the X-Box 360. The team which developed the X-Box 360 was lead by Microsoft Vice President James Allard. The device is a white, rectangular box with a thin, silver door for loading the game CDs. On the bottom of the X-Box 360’s face, is a large power button that lights up green when the device is activated. From the back of the device, an HDMI cable connects the X-Box 36o to the TV and a electrical cable provides power.

The topic of nonfiction I like is war. I like studying tactics witch army’s use. I also think the weapons and armor used in war is interesting. It is also cool to see how warfare has change over time. Like people using static warfare, naval warfare, and siege warfare        

Article posted March 14, 2012 at 01:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 46

I am reporting on #94, “What is a Supernova?”. A supernova is what happens when a star dies. A star dies when it runs out of hydrogen, which it converts into helium through nuclear fusion. The first stars became supernovae (plural of supernova) 14 billion years ago. This topic is important to know because I might be interested in being an astrophysicist as a career choice. Some supernovae become white dwarfs, neutron stars, or black holes depending on the size of the star that dies. Black holes have ridiculously strong gravitational pull. Not even light can escape from black holes.

Definition:

1) Hydrogen - a flamable lifting gas

2) Nuclear Fusion --a reactino in which two nuclei combine to form a nucleus with a release of energy.

3) White Drawf -- the remnants of a star that has collapsed. 

#94What Is a Supernova? Do not coppy me

Article posted March 2, 2012 at 12:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

I like the poet Jack Prelutsky,I also like the anthology Hate That Cat. I really like animal poems and poems about nature. I am good at finding End Rhyme, Metaphor, Simoly. End Rhyme, Metaphor, Simile. I think   creative poetry will be fun and interesting.  

I agree with the title

Today is very boring,

it’s a very boring day,

there is nothing much to look at,

there is nothing much to say,

there’s a peacock on my sneakers,

there’s a penguin on my head,

there’s a dormouse on my doorstep,

I am going back to bed.

Today is very boring,

it is boring through and through,

there is absolutely nothing

that I think I want to do,

I see giants riding rhinos,

and an ogre with a sword,

there’s a dragon blowing smoke rings,

I am positively bored.

Today is very boring,

I can hardly help by yawn,

there’s a flying saucer landing

in the middle of my lawn,

a volcano just erupted

less than half a mile away,

and I think I felt an earthquake,

it’s a very boring day.

This is my favorite poem because it is vary funny. This poem is also ironic because the day rely is existing.   

Article posted February 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM GMT • comment • Reads 57

#306 Why is the Sky Blue?

White light is the sunlight you see every day. It is made up of all of the colors of the rainbow. The sky is blue because molecules in the air take in the blue wavelength and disperse them across the sky for your eyes to see. But there is an exception at sunrise and sunset. When the sun is shining on the horizon blue wavelengths cannot reach your eyes making way for red and orange wavelengths. You can do an experiment at home to prove this by following the steps on the Wonderopolis.com website, wonder #306.

Horizon = the line where the earth and the sky appear to meet.

Wavelength = The distance between one peak or crest of a wave of light, heat, or other energy and the next

Molecule = The smallest particle of a substance that retains the chemical and physical properties of the substance and is composed of two or more atoms

Article posted January 4, 2012 at 01:34 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

I think the Czech Republic Christmas traditions are interesting because they use branches from cherry trees to predict the future. They put them in a warm corner of their house and hope they blossom before Christmas Day. In the Czech Republic, holiday celebrations begin four weeks before Christmas day. They have recently added a Christmas tree to their traditions. They decorate the tree with fruit ornaments because real fruit is a rare treat in the winter in the Czech Republic. St. Nicholas visits each village on the 6th of December. He is accompanied by a devil and an angel, which represents good and evil. In the Czech Republic, you gather with your family for the three days from December 24th to the 26th.

.

Article posted December 9, 2011 at 01:19 AM GMT • comment • Reads 146

I am reading Guns for General Washington. I really like this story, which is about a unit of the Continental Army having to secure the heavy artillery guns at Fort Ticonderoga and convoy them back to their base near Boston. The Fort and guns were seized from the British by the Vermont Green Mountain Boys. The unit encountered difficulties along the way. A transport barge broke while crossing a lake. A cart broke while they were crossing a mountain and one of their mortars slipped loose while going up another steep mountain.  They get the guns back to Boston and set them up. The important characters in the book are: J.P., Henry Knox ,Will Knox, and Paul Revere Jr. Henry Knox is the leader of unit.

One thing I disliked about this book is that it is told from different perspectives, which made it hard to follow. I did enjoy the fact that this book is base on a true story of the Revolutionary War.

Article posted November 18, 2011 at 12:39 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 53

I could explain why an event happens and the effect it has on an ecosystem in science class. This would use my logical smarts. Four example if there are amore consumers than producers the ecosystem can collapse. Or if humans piloted water it could eradicate an ecosystem. This is how I can put my smarts to uses.     

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 01:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 63

My reflection on the video is I think learning with the multiple intelligence method is a really good idea. I like the idea that this learning style focuses on you as an individual. In my opinion it is because that this program engages everyone according to their strength. I also like how they put what they are learning into real life by having a miniature town with a mini post office a museum of smart, a central plaza and a town store. I think students all over the country should be taught like this!

Article posted October 20, 2011 at 01:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 67

I am high in musical intelligence and here are some reasons why. I enjoy music and have a good sense of rhythm. I also like to sing songs because I can remember melodies, tunes, and lyrics. I am also high in interpersonal intelligence. I like to be with people. I am a good leader and a good follower. I have a lot of friends and l like to work in groups. I think it is helpful that I can understand how people feel in different situations. I use these skills in the real world to help understand situations better. Like when I was at a party, The Big Momma Moon Dance, I could tell when one of my friends was frustrated with another without him telling me so. I tried to fix the situation (it might have had a reverse effect, but probably not!).  My musical intelligence applied when I was younger and in an opera. I had to sing with good projection and in tune with other people in my group. I also had to use my good sense of rhythm to keep in tune.

Article posted October 14, 2011 at 01:57 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 103

Here are some cool facts about Washington. It has more glaciers than all other states(not counting Alaska and Hawaii.) Mt. Saint Helens is in Washington. Sawbucks coffee was made in Seattle. No wars have been fought in Washington. Washington has more than 15 native American tribes. Washington’s  states grass is the  bluebunch wheatgrass.

Article posted September 30, 2011 at 12:38 AM GMT • comment • Reads 67

I am reading Skybreaker by Kenneth Oppel.  This book reminds me of the first book in the series, Airborn. I chose Airborne because the story was interesting. Skybreaker and Airborn have the same basic story which is why I chose Skybreaker.  It has the same characters and two new ones, but the story has changed quite a bit. The story still takes place on an airship, but this time they are on skybreaker class vessel. The character’s goal is to find the Hyperion. It is an airship that has been mysteriously aloft for over 40 years without discovery. The characters are currently on the Hyperion looking for its rumored untold riches. I’m really enjoying this book. Spence and Miles should both read this book since they read Airborn.

Article posted September 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 33

If you read my first post you know about Midnight. This post is about my other cat Cupcake. Some things he likes are: kneading (rubbing) my dad’s belly, sleeping on the satellite receiver, attacking shoe laces, climbing into cars when the door is open, and chasseing his back right foot. Now that you know abut Cupcake I can tell you about the information we have learned in my next post.

Article posted September 9, 2011 at 12:18 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 69

My name is Sam. I am 10 years old. I have 2 cats. I think science is cool and FUN! I like video games :)

Article posted September 9, 2011 at 12:06 AM GMT • comment (6) • Reads 79

My friend and I spent a lot of time tracking and studying my 2 cats. My black cat is named Midnight. We found he likes to: eat, sleep, steal your chair when you are not in it, likes to be with you (even in the bathroom), and sit on and in the sink. He hates the sound of the dishwasher, the basketball bouncing and the slinky. You can learn about Cupcake in my next blog.

My name is Sam. I am 11 years old. I have 2 cats. I think science is cool and FUN! I like video games. I have also started to like DnD. :)