Copyright (c) 2014 by AroobDD Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
AroobDD -- Blogmeister

Denton Dynamos 2011-2012

Welcome to our 4th grade class! We love receiving comments. Please, if you wish to comment, leave a URL or e-mail address so we can respond back to you.

by AroobDD

teacher: Denton Dynamos

Title: Bud, Not Buddy (02/29/12)
Description: Today, we finished reading Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis. This historic fiction novel brought us into the 1930s world of Bud Caldwell. There were many themes in this book but the main one was search for family. Think of the different characters in the book and their thoughts and actions toward family: Bud, Bud’s mother, Herman Calloway, Lefty Lewis, and Miss Thomas. How do they each feel about family? How do you know? How do Bud's feelings about family lead him to Herman Calloway and the band?

Create a graphic organizer to help you sort your ideas. Make a box for each character and put examples in the box of times they talked about family. Add character traits that pushed them toward their beliefs and ideas of family. Then focus specifically on Bud. Write about Bud and his search for family. Be sure to cover all of the following:

What does Bud remember about his mother? What do you think these memories have to do with his ideas about family?

Why does Bud leave the foster homes?

Why does Bud keep his suitcase? What is in the suitcase and how does it relate to his search for family?

Does Bud ultimately find family? If so, how and who is part of his family?

Also, don't forget to stay organized with paragraphs, edit carefully for spelling, capitalization, and punctuation, and use high level language and voice to keep your piece interesting.

This blog is due on Tuesday, March 13th. The early submission is due on Thursday, March 8th.

Bud, Not Buddy

By Ryan

Could you imagine being all alone in the world, without anyone to care about you? Having to figure out where your next meal will come from, or where you will spent the night? Unfortunately this is a reality for many children in the world, and this was the case of ten year old Bud Caldwell. Bud begins his search for family because he needs family. Although there are many reasons why everyone needs a family, I am going to list only three.  Everyone needs family because family protects you from harm,  family provides you with the basic needs, and  family gives you love. No matter who you are, everyone needs family!

Everyone needs family because family protects you from harm. In the story Bud starts off in an orphanage which he’s been living in since he was six years old. Bud gets placed in his third foster home and gets in a big jam. The son of his new foster parents (Tod)  is a bully and a spoiled brat! Bud gets beat up by Tod and gets blamed for something he didn’t do. The Amoses love his son to the point that they are blind to see that their son Tod is a real bad kid. The Amoses are mean to him and called him horrible names.  They are selfish, vulgar, brutal, unkind, unsympathetic, and extremely mean to Bud. They represent everything a family shouldn’t be. Even if they thought Bud was hurting Tod, they should have been more compassionate to an orphan who had no one in the world. So they locked him up in a horrible shed, but he manages to break free and runs away. At first he wasn’t sure what to do and goes looking for Ms. Hill, the librarian to ask for advise on what to do. But when he finds out she is not there anymore, he decides not to go back to the orphanage because it wouldn’t do him any good. He figured that the people working at the orphanage didn’t even bother to remember the children’s names (So how much could they really care?), his best friend Bugs was on his way to Chicago, and he would probably just get sent to another abusing foster home. So “being on the lam” made more sense to him. That’s how he began his search for the man he thought was his father. He needed to find his father so that he could protect him.

Another reason that everyone needs family is because family provides you with your basic needs, such as food, shelter, and clothing. Throughout the story Bud didn’t know where he would get his next meal or where he would spend the night.  Luckily for Bud, he meets good hearted people and loving families that help him while he was in need. One morning he was starving and he was late for breakfast at the Mission and a mean man sent him away. But a nice family let him cut the line pretending that he was their son, and he was so happy to spend time with them, his pretend family. Then when Bud goes to Hooverville, he meets many people that welcome him and his best friend Bugs. They fed them, and tried to help them get to Chicago (he was going there to find his father). Then he met Lefty Lewis who helps him when he was traveling through Owosso, Michigan (actually saves his life because black people were not allowed to walk through there at night, and he would probably have been killed). Lefty Lewis brings him home, and takes care of Bud by feeding him, & letting him stay for the night. Lefty Lewis’ daughter gives Bud clean clothes to wear.   Lefty Lewis is a happy, generous, kind, loving, and funny man. He has a great relationship with his daughter and grandchildren. He is playful and jokes around with them. To him family is very important and this is why he was trying to reunite Bud and Herman E. Calloway (he believed Bud’s story that he ran away from his dad’s house). And when he gets to Grand Rapids, Mrs. Thomas invites him to join her for dinner, he gets to spend the night in his mom’s old bedroom and Mrs. Thomas cleans and changes him. He felt like he was in heaven!

Finally, everyone needs family because family gives you love. Bud is all alone in the world with no one to love him. The only thing left of family for Bud is a picture of his mother, some rocks with writing on them, and some fliers which he thinks are somehow connected to his father. He keeps all of these items and a blanket in his suitcase, which he always keeps by his side. He feels a certain connection and attachment to them because they were important to his mother. Bud remembers how carefully she had kept these fliers. He remembers the time when his mom saw the flier which showed Herman Calloway playing in Flint, and had become very upset. He remembers how much his mother loved him, how she read to him every night, and the way she took care of him when he was sick. He remembers how his mom told him his name was Bud, not Buddy. He remembers and now understand what she meant by “when one door closes, another one opens”. This helps him not to give up and keep on going.  Bud is looking for his dad because he wants someone to love and wants someone to love him. He was so desperate for family that he even becomes pretend brothers with Bugs (even though it didn’t last too long).

When Bud finally meets the person he believes is his dad, Herman E. Calloway’s reaction is not what Bud was expecting. Bud was dissappointed that the man he though was his father was so old and grumpy!  To him Herman Calloway was a grumpy, untrustful, mean, old man. Bud later finds out through Ms. Thomas that Herman Calloway is not his father, but his grandfather! He also finds out that Calloway had loved Bud’s mom so much, but had been very hard on her because he just wanted to prepare her for her negro life. Once when she was a little girl ( 5 years old) Herman asked Bud’s mom what she wanted from his trip to Chicago and she said “ A wock daddy, bring me back a wock”, and ever since then even when she was gone, Herman would still bring home the rocks  after each trip. He also showed he loved his daughter because he left her room the way it was when she was a kid. We learned from Ms. Thomas that he is the way he is, because he doesn’t like to show his feelings, that he has high standards and he just doesn’t want to be let down. Deep inside Calloway is really a kind person (he lets people live in his house, and takes care of stray dogs). His actions show that family is important to him. Family is also important to Ms. Thomas. We know that Ms. Thomas loved Bud’s mom because she spoke kindly of her. She also had kept a picture of Bud’s mom for the past eleven years. From the moment she saw Bud, she was kind and caring towards him.

Everyone needs family and that includes Bud Cadwell. Family doesn’t mean just a mom, dad and siblings. Family is anyone who shows that they care for you, that they will be there for you when you need them. The band, Herman Calloway, and Ms. Thomas are “like a huge big family” and Ms. Thomas is the mother figure. They all live together in one big house, work together, help each other, and take care of each other. The band members and Ms. Thomas welcomed Bud into their lives, even before they knew he was Calloway’s grandson. It shows that they are loving, generous, and kind. Bud had began his search for his father but now he has an “expanded family” since the band and Miss Thomas are part of it too. He would now not only have a grandfather, he would also have a mom figure and “uncles”. Ultimately Bud felt safe, taken care of, and most importantly, he finally had a family of his own to love, and who would love him back!

One of the big ideas in the book “Bud, not Buddy” is that family are people who care about you. Family can be your parents, grandparents or other people who care about you. I will explain who Bud is, and three examples how his new family cared about him.

Bud is a ten year old boy who is trying to find his family. His mom died when he was six years old, and he was very unhappy in his foster home in the Ameses. The only memories he had of his childhood were in his suitcase. There was a flier with a picture of a man. Nobody told Bud who he was, but he thought he was his dad. That flier always made Bud’s mom mad. Also, there were some rocks that his mom collected, and a blanket. After a long walk, he finally found his grandfather, Mr. Calloghway. This was a man from the flier. He was a musician, playing the violin. His band was called “The Dusky Devastators of the Depression.” Bud’s grandfather was bossy to Bud. But all the other people from the band were nice to him, and they cared about him. Bud started feeling safe and happy with them. He felt like he finally has a family. Here are the three examples how his new family cared about him.

First, “The Dusky Devastators of the Depression” band gave Bud a home in their aparment. They gave him food, shelter and clothes.

Second, they took Bud to a restaurant with them. They asked him questions about his mom. When Bud started to cry, Mrs. Thomas, the singer of the band, soothed him. He felt like he is at home with his new friends, who wanted to make sure he was okay.

The last example showing how Bud’s new family cared about him was when Eddie, one of the band players, gave him a new saxophone. He wanted him to pratice and become part of the band. This made Bud feel like he belonged with the band.    

The three examples from the book help me understand how important family is. Family takes care of you when you need them. They help to make sure that you have food, shelter and that you feel safe and happy.

Everyone needs family

Everyone needs family. Family can support us and care for us. In the book Bud, Not Buddy, Bud needs a family, but does not have a family at the beginning of the book.

Everybody needs family so that they can have someone believe in them. Bud was placed with a foster family, the Amoses, but they did not treat him well. An example of this is when Todd beat up Bud and lied about it, Mr.Amos locked Bud in the shed. This is why Bud decided to run away.

Everybody needs family so they they can have a home. If Bud had a home, he would not have to carry around all his belongings. Bud always carried his suit case. It contained a blanket,a tobacco bag that he kept rocks in, a picture of his mom and flyers of the Dusky Devastators. Everything in the suitcase belonged to his mom and they were important to her. Bud thinks that the flyers are a clue to finding his father.

Everybody needs family to feel safe and loved. Bud felt safe when his mom was around, for example, when Bud talked about his memories of his conversations with his mom, it shows that she loved him. When his mom tells him about his name, it shows that she loved him. “A bud is a flower in waiting. Waiting for just the right warmth and care to open up. It’s a little fist of love waiting to unfold and be seen by the world. And that’s you.”

Everybody needs family to take care of basic needs like food and shelter. For example: After Bud leaves the library he falls asleep under a tree (page 59). If Bud had a home, he would not have to sleep under a tree.

Everyone needs family to feel like they belong. On page 78, Bud says “someone who doesn’t know who there is, is like dust blowing around in a storm, they don’t really belong any one place.” “I might not know who my family was but I knew they were out there somewhere…” This proves that Bud wants to belong to a family, he wants to find his family.

Everyone needs family to feel safe and loved, to have a home and food and shelter and to feel like they belong. In the end, Bud finds his grandfather and finally has a sense of belonging to everyone who lives at Grand Calloway Station.

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 01:07 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 169

Families care for you. In the book Bud not Buddy Bud’s family cared for him by helping him to get out of though problems even if they’re not there, made him happy when sad, and do their best to make your life better. Families take care of you every day.

Family’s care for you even though there not there. When Bud was in his first night in HooversVille. He felt lonely and sad. So he took out his suitcase and then took out his tobacco patch witch had his stones that his mother gave him. One says, “Kentland ill. 5.10.11.” Another says, “loogootee in. 5.16.11,” and the last says, “flint m. 8.11.11.” Even though Bud’s Family is gone but the things in the suitcase still reminds him of his family. It makes him happy by making him imagine his mom and makes him feels like being cared by his mom.

Families make you happy when your sad. In the book Bud meet the Dusky Devastators of depression (a band) gave Bud a new saxophone case, a saxophone, and a picture of his mother. After that he was so happy that he could have a smile that would last forever! Also he could hear the Dusky Devastators of depression practicing their music! It was really really beautiful! Mrs.Thomas and Mr.Jimmy were like the greatest of all . At the end Bud clapped, whistled, and cheered. It was the most beautiful thing he had heard in his whole life!!!! It was so beautiful that it made Bud remebered his mom because his mom was beautiful.

Familys try to make your life better as best as they can. Buds family was trying to do the best they can by giving him there stuff for him to remember them. Also trying their best to send him to a best home possible. It made his life better because if he wasn’t in the home he would be living on the street.

Families care for you. In the book Bud not Buddy Bud’s family cared for him by helping him to get out of though problems even if they’re not there, made him happy when sad, and do their best to make your life better. My opinoin is to have a parent close by because you can solve any problem with your mom or dad.

Bud not Buddy

By: Christopher Paul Curtis

Anshul

Families will always care for you. They are the people you lean against during your problems. In the story Bud not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis it shows a story of a young boy named Bud who is searching for his lost family. Unfortunately Bud never got to experience what its like to have a family. Luckily a family arrived and adopted him. At first he was as happy as can be but then as he started to realize he’d be leaving the only people that cared about behind. He tried to convince his new family to bring Bug but they strictly disagreed.

When Bud arrived to his new house. He me a young boy names Toddy. His new parents thought he was a very well mannered and roper boy but . . . . . unfortunately he was mischievous and a unmannered child on the inside never revealing his dark side to his parents. Toddy always blamed all the things he did on Bud. As a result Bud got punished and for his punishment they put him in a shed full of bats and bugs. It was so scary you’ll just gape about how scary and creepy it is. Bud then left the place. He knew this was not his family

Bud was meandering around looking for his family. As he was walking he met this man Mr.Calico. Mr. Calico found him hiding and was going to take him to his family. Mr.Calico figured out that Bud dad was Herman Callway. Bud was going to soon his family.Before reaching to Herman he wanted to give Bud some breakfast. When Bud went to his house, there Mr.Calico had one son and one daughter and Mrs.Calico. Bud wasn’t used to how they ate there dinner. They all talked so haphazardly. When they went back driving Mr.Calico met Herman.

Bud was soon going to have a new family. He was ecstatic about going back to his family. When Bud was there he met Herman Callway, Miss. Thomas, Lefty Louis, and the rest of the band. Herman kept on saying that Bud was not his father.Bud kept on saying I'm your son I'm your son. Then one day Herman was sitting on the table with Miss Thomas. He asked Bud his mother. Bud then glowered at him and said her name and said she died. Herman sat still surprised. He ran so fast and shut the door. Everyone was still then Lefty Louis asked for a picture of her. Bud nodded and went to get the picture. As he entered he didn’t want Herman to notice.When he bringed down the picture Bud put it at the center of the center of the table. Miss.Thomas said he’s not your father but is your Grampa. Bud was very morose about Herman being his Grampa.Then Miss.Thomas was crying a little too so was Lefty Louis.

Bud then heard a knock on the door. It was the whole band. When they came Bud was not going to say saying he didn’t want to embarrass Herman and Miss Thomas, and Lefty Louis are crying.Then the band was holding a silver case. Bud knew it was a instrument. Bud rapidly opened it but then couldn’t open it fully so Steady Eddie opened it. It was a golden saxophone. Bud was amazed.Steady Eddie said he’ll come back to teach lesson only if he clean his instrument fast. And Bud started cleaning it. Bud had found his family

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 12:54 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 217

Bud not Buddy    

Bud                                          Ms.Thompson

Mr.Thompson is very nice to Bud

Bud is a lonely boy who wants to find his family.                       and bud like’s Mr.Thompson.

In the story it said that his mother had died 4 or

5 years ago. Also in the book it said that bud thinks that

Herman E. Calloway is his father.

Mr. Calloway               The Dusky Devastators of the Depression                 

Mr. Calloway is not nice to                        The band is very nice to bud and bud likes that                           Bud and does not think the Bud is his son.           they are nice to him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bud’s search to find his family- In the story Bud was trying to find family or at least Herman E. Calloway. He wants to find Herman E. Calloway because he thinks that he is his father. On his journey to find Herman E. Calloway he did some crazy things. First, he tried to escape from the home he caught put in. He did escape. Next,he was going to walk from Flint, Michigan. In Addition, while doing that he met lefty Lewis. Also lefty Lewis let him stay with him until he caught back home. While Bud was with lefty Lewis, Bud said that is father was Herman E. Calloway. He said that because he really thinks that Herman E. Calloway. Also at the end when he found Herman E. Calloway, Herman E. Calloway figure out that Bud was not his son, Bud was his grandson.

Questions-

1. Why did Bud leave the foster home?--- Bud left because in the story it said that when he went to a home that was sent from the foster home, he was treated badly so Bud said that he was going to try to escape.

2. Why does Bud keep his suitcase? What in the suitcase and how does it relate to his search for family. ---In Bud’s suitcase, He has the rocks with letters and numbers that his mother gave him, a picture of his Mother and these flyer's that have Herman E. Calloway on the paper in the corner. Only one of these things in Bud’s suitcase relate to his journey to find his family. It was the flyer’s. It was the flyer’s because the flyer’s always made Bud’s mother mad. So that was why he thought that Herman E. Calloway was his father or at least part of his family.

3. What does Bud remember about his mother? What do you think these memories have to do with his ideas about his family? ---All Bud has of his mother is a picture of her, rocks that her mother got from places and the flyer’s that his mother always looks at with a glower.

4. Does Bud ultimately find family? If so, how and who is part of his family?---At the end of the book, Bud does find family. It was his mother’s dad and also Ms. Thompson along with The Dusky Devastators of the Depression. Even thought Ms. Thompson and The Dusky Devastators of the the Depression are not part of his family, They comforted him so much that to Bud, they felt like family.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bud Not Buddy Essay

We read Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis and we leaned that everyone needs family. We can tell that by the adventure Bud had.

One way we can sow that everyone needs family is by how he had escape from the foster home. In the story it said that he was tortured by these people that h lived from. So Bud escaped. It had worked. It showed that everyone needs family that has to be nice to you and those people were not so they could not be a good family to be in.

Another part of the book that shows how everyone needs family in the book is when Bud was looking for Herman E. Calloway. In the story Bud was looking for Herman E. Calloway Because when his mother was alive,the mother always had a wired look at the flyer’s that had the word Herman E. Calloway. So that was what made Bud think he was his father. So that is why everyone needs family.

Last for how It is true that everyone needs family is when Bud was with Ms. Thompson,Herman E. Calloway and The Dusky Devastators of the Depression. In that part of the story that shows that everyone needs family Bud was comforted by Ms. Thompson and The Dusky Devastators of the Depression. When he was comforted by them he actually felt like he was with family. He felt like that because Ms.Thompson was so nice to him and the band was giving him goodies and being nice to him. That made made Bud feel like he was home.

That is why I think Everyone needs family especially Bud.  

The story Bud not Buddy takes place in the 1930’s. I think that Bud cares about family a lot. I think that Bud’s mother cares about family as much as Bud does. I think that Herman Calloway cares about family a little bit but not nearly as much as Bud and Buds mother. I don’t think that Lefty Lewis really cares much about family, as much as friendship. I think that Miss Thomas cares about family as much as Bud does. I know that Bud cares about family because he would always remember when his mom died! I know that Bud’s mom cares about family because she we travel with her dad to a lot of places. Herman Calloway cares about family and does not. I know that he does not care about family this is because he was crying because people found out that Bud was in his family. I also know that he cares about family because he would travel a lot with his daughter. I know that Lefty Lewis cares about friendship more than family because, he would hang out with Bud but would not think of him as family. I know that Miss Thomas cares about family because she would keep saying “it’s all right Bud it’s all right’’ like she was his mom. Bud’s feelings about family lead him to Mr. Colloway’s band because he could be loving with family and have some tricks up his sleeve , and can’t be tricked easily. Bud remembered that his mom was a tall and nice women. I think that Bud cares about family more than ever because he’s mom died. He leaves the foster homes because the person who owned the place told him to go to a house. Bud keeps his suit case because it has the important things that gives him good memories in it. Bud did not really find family, but he did find people who care about him.

Family's care for you. In the book Bud not Buddy Bud’s family cared for him by protecting him in tough times, making sure he had food to eat and drinks to drink, and they showed him that he was important to them. Their are lots of ways families can care for you ,but these three ways were what Bud experienced.

Family’s care for you by protecting you in tough times. When Bud was walking alone at night Lefty Lewis gave him food a sandwich and red soda. He took Bud home and protected him like he was Bud’s dad. Most importantly he tried to help Bud find his real family, which was his grandpa.

Family’s care for you by giving you food to eat and drinks to drink.When Bud went to the sweet pea restaurant where the Dusky Devastators gave him good quality food to eat and drinks to drink.Most importantly they showed him that he was important to them. By giving him food and drinks and a bed to sleep in. But the most important thing is they gave him lots of love by caring for him in every way that was listed earlier in this essay.

Those are the three main ways that Bud was cared for like he was family in the book Bud not Buddy. I think Bud had a busy year. What do you think? Do think that was pretty busy?

In the story Bud Not Buddy I realized that family can sometimes know what you like, and Bud experienced that in some parts of the story. There are three people who knew what Bud liked. Mr. Calloway’s band, Miss Hill, and Miss Thomas. Even though these people are not realy Bud’s family, they treated him like family. I think Bud made a lot of family during the book.

Mr. Calloway’s band knew what Bud liked through-out a part of the story. Mr. Calloway’s band knew what Bud liked because the band was once practicing for a show. While they were playing Bud was sitting down and listening to the band’s music. The band saw Bud. They knew he was enjoying their practice so they went over to Bud and gave Bud an instrument so one day he could play and practice with the band.

Miss Hill(a librarian) knew what Bud liked through-out a part of the story. Miss Hill knew what Bud liked because when ever Bud went to her library he always looked for books with maps and Miss Hill always gave him a book with maps but, she gave him a book that she thought that might have been interesting to Bud, and all the time Bud never notices that he always devours the book he reads! Also because Miss. Hill always says once he is done with his book “WOW, you really devoured that book!”

Miss Thomas knew what Bud liked through-out a part of the story. Miss Thomas knew what Bud liked because the band was going out for lunch and they all invited Bud. So, once they were at the dinner and when they all were ready to order, Miss Thomas gave Bud a few suggestions on what he wants to drink and eat. Then everything Miss.Thomas said Bud said “Yes ma’am,” or “Thank you ma’am,” or “Yes ma’am I would like that ma’am.”

In the story Bud Not Buddy I noticed that family knows what you like. In the story there are three people who know what Bud likes. Mr. Calloway’s band, Miss Hill, and Miss Thomas. I think that Bud is an incredible child that has a lot of people as his family. Although all of these people were not Bud’s real family, they still treated him like family.

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 12:38 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 147

xcjcfdjjdjdj

As a kid bud bud has many memories of his mom. He does remember that he was loved, he remembered that his mom was working most of the time and was a hard worker. The one that stands out to me the most was when ever they went on a trip bud would go for a walk. Together Bud and his mom would collect rocks and put the date on them. As a memory of the trip he would keep the rocks in his suitcase. This is just one special way bud remembers his mom.  

Bud’s  idea of family is that spending time time with his mom.And that through his memories is how he keeps his mother alive.

After being in many different foster homes and not caring for any of the people in the house that he was staying with, Bud had enough. The last straw came when Todd the other kid in the home was punhing and kicking Bud. Even though bud was hurt  in the fight Todd acted like bud hurt him. The foster family did not like the way bud was behaving and sent him to sleep in the shed. As he sat there he started to panic and broke the window open with a rake and escaped! Bud ran back into the house and grabbed his suitcase. Bud decided at that point it was time to get out and go on his journey to find his farther. Bud keeps the suitcase close to him because in the suitcase holds memories of his mom and information about who his dad might be.inside the suitcase is a fly-er witch tells where who his dad might be. Bud believes that once he finds this man he will meet his dad.

Bud meets a man named Lefty Lewis who gives him a ride into town.  Lefty Lewis takes him to where he believes his dad is, Bud finally gets to talk with his dad [Herman e. calla-way]. After speaking to him he realizes he found his farther. He tells him about his mom passing away, the farther is said. In the end bud winds up with a farther and  Herman e calla-way finds a his son. Together the make a famly.

Bud, not Buddy

By: Nadia

In the book, Bud, not Buddy, the main theme was a search for family. Bud’s mother, was a kind woman. According to Bud, she was protective of him. The character, Herman E. Calloway, was a serious man.  When he found out his daughter died, he became very emotional.  Another character, Lefty Lewis, always asked Bud many questions about his mother. He seemed very concerned about Bud’s situation.  The character, Miss Thomas, was kind and generous, she went out of her way to get something that was special to Bud. Bud is a boy whose mother died.  He remembers that his mother never use to speak about his father.  Bud thinks, a man by the name of Herman E. Calloway might be his father.  The reason for that is  because his mother always kept fliers of Herman  and his band.  After his mother died Bud wanted to find his family, he sets out to find his “father”, he also became lonely.  After Bud’s mother died, he went to another home.

Bud was placed in a foster home. He didn’t like this foster home because whenever you did anything wrong they smacked you. After Bud came out of that foster home, the Amesons family  took Bud in. Tod Ameson, their son, was a little brat. Once, Tod shoved a pencil up Bud’s nose and  they got into a fight. As a result, they made Bud sleep in the shed.  Bud missed his mother very much after she died.  This is why he wanted to find  his family. As it says in the book, Bud left the Ameson’s home because he was not happy and set out in search for his family.

One night, Bud went walking in the streets to find his father. According to the book, Bud, not Buddy, Bud met a stranger who took him to his house.  There the stranger got to know Bud.  Bud told him he is looking for his “father” named Herman E. Calloway.  The stranger knew where Mr. Calloway lived and took Bud there.  

Bud became lonely and sad as a result, this made him search for his “father.” As it says in the book, Bud has a suitcase which he always likes to carry with him because it has items in it that he thinks is important . Things that reminded him of his mom & Herman E. Calloway, such as, some rocks his mother gave to him, a picture of his mom and a flier of  Herman E. Calloway with his band.

Finally, Bud met Herman E. Calloway. Mr. Calloway tried to get to know Bud by asking him several questions.  Bud was asked where he got the  rocks from. Bud said, he got it from his mother. Herman asked Bud, what was his mother’s name. Bud replied, her name is Angela Caldwell. After they exchanged information, it tuned out that, Herman E. Calloway was the father of Bud’s mother. This person  was actually Bud’s grandfather.   At the end, Bud ended up living with his, now found grandfather, Mr. Calloway.  I think Bud is happier now that he found family.

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 02:47 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 168

Families care for you. In the book Bud Not Buddy, Bud’s family cared for him by helping him even when they’re not around, giving him a ride, & letting him be in the band.These are three ways Bud was cared for.

Families care for you by helping you even when they are not around.

When Bud’s mom, Angela died,(at age 26) she left Bud little clues in his suitcase so that he would find his father (Herman E. Calloway.) Bud’s mom left him the clues in his suitcase because she knew Bud would want to search for his father. Each clue helped out Bud in some sort of way. Like, when Bud was trying to find his father, Bud’s mom left him flyers of Herman E. Calloway’s band The Dusky Devastators of the Depression. I thought that it was her way to set Bud off on his own journey to find himself and his own independence.

But, not only family cares for you, friends can sometimes stand in for family. Lefty Lewis did a very good thing for Bud. Lefty drove Bud from Flint, Michigan all the way to Grand Rapids Michigan.

Lefty Lewis saw Bud on the side of the road, he let Bud get in his car with him. Even though Bud thought Lefty Lewis was a vampire he still stayed in the car, because this would be the only person that would give Bud a ride.

Another way families care for you is, sometimes they know just what you need to feel better. The band members laugh at Bud’s story about how he arrived there, but take sympathy on him because he's an orphan. The band realizes that it would be important to Bud to play his saxophone and be included in the band. I think that was very nice of all of the people in the Dusky Devastators of the Depression let Bud have the experience of playing in the band. Ultimately, Bud finds his grandfather, who I hope cares for him like family.

Bud,Not Buddy

In the book, Bud,Not Buddy By Christopher Paul Curtis, Bud the main character struggles in many ways. Buds loved his mother but later she passes away. Now all Bud has left is his suitcase. It is one of the most important things in his life because it contains some of the stuff that his mom used when she was his age. Bud remembers his mom because she was the most important person in his life. He remembered her as one of the niceist people he ever met in his whole life.Once his mom had died he was forced to stay at a foster home, at the foster home the people there treated him very bad. He lived with the Amoses Family. Bud, soon met Tod Amos. He was Mr.Amos and Mrs.Amoses son. Bud left his foster home because he hated it there people were so mean to him. Later on in the book Bud finds his Father, Herman E Coldwell , but he soon finds out that Herman is not his father he is Buds grandpa.

BUD, NOT BUDDY

BY: Christopher Paul Curtis

Every one needs a family. Every one needs family because family takes care of you, family feeds you, and family loves you.

Every one needs family and family cares for you.

Every one needs a family. Every one needs family because family takes care of you. According to the article Bud Not Buddy Miss Thomas took care of bud like his momma by letting him live with them. Unlike the mean foster home that locked him in a shed. That is how family took care of Bud in the book. 

Every one needs a family. Every one needs family because family feeds you. According to the book Bud Not Buddy the band took bud to the sweet pea diner to eat and bud was very grateful.  And this was how family feed Bud in the book.

In conclusion  every one needs a family. Every one needs family because family loves you. According to the book Bud Not Buddy at the diner bud was crying and Mrs. Thomas was letting bud rest on her. And that made Bud felt loved. Bud ultimily found his family Herman E Calloway and the band. This was like the love from his suit case was coming to life.

And that’s how family loved Bud in the book.

During this book you will find it is real every one needs a family.

By: Cristian

Article posted March 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 183

The theme of the book Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis is that family is important to everyone. The main character Bud,is a ten year old boy who proves that this is true by searching for his family. He is determined to find his father who he believes to be his only living family. He does this by going to the library to see how to get from Grand Rapids to Flint, Michigan where he thinks his father, Herman E. Calloway is. He walks most of the way to Grand Rapids by himself to meet Mr. Calloway and lastly he convinces Mr. Calloway that they are family. These are the three major steps Bud took in order to find the family he needed.

The first proof that showed Bud needed family was when he went to the library to find out how far Grand Rapids was from Flint. Bud was supposed to go on a train, but somehow he missed it. So he decided to walk to Grand Rapids rather than waiting for another train. Without hesitation, he walks a very long way in order to find his family.This shows how important it was to Bud to have a family.

The second way Bud showed how important family was to him was by walking most of the way to Grand Rapids, a long way for a 10 year old boy by himself. On his way to Grand Rapids Bud meets Mr. Lewis who knows where Herman E. Calloway is. Mr.Lewis gives Bud food and shelter for the night and then a ride to Grand Rapids . This act affection made Bud more desperate to look for his family.

The last way that Bud showed how important finding his family was to him was when he confronted Herman E. Calloway while he was practicing with his band. Bud tries to convince Mr. Calloway that he was Bud’s father but Mr. Calloway does not believe him. Bud does not give up and follows Mr. Calloway to another state where he was performing a concert. Here Bud shows Mr. Calloway the stones that his mother gave him before she died. It is then that Ms. Thomas, a woman who works with Mr. Calloway, comes to realize that Angela Janet Caldwell was Bud’s mother. She tells Bud that Herman E. Calloway is his grandfather not his father. The mystery is solved and Bud has found his family.

This story shows how family is important to everyone including Bud. Bud shows this by going to the library to see how to get to where his family is, by walking most of the way to Grand Rapids by himself, and lastly by trying to convince Mr. Calloway that they are family. Bud never gave up until he found Herman E. Calloway, who was his grandfather not his father. Bud’s mom was Herman E. Calloway’s daughter. Bud had successfully found the family that was so important to him.

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 03:21 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 187

Bud Not Buddy

By: Jordana

Have you ever read a book so boring that you had to put it down in the middle of reading it?  Well today is your lucky day.  Go to your nearest book store and look for the book “Bud Not Buddy.”  Trust me it will blow your mind.  It will surely make you fall out of your chair.  It is both funny and sad.  There are a lot of cliffhangers within this book.  I will tell you a little about the book.  It will kind of be like a summary of this exciting book. I am not going to tell you too much just in case you want to read the book so I don't spoil the book to you.

Bud Not Buddy is about a boy named Bud.  He doesn’t have a family.  He always carries a suitcase around that holds all his personal things. The suitcase also holds all of his family pictures and clues to help him find his family.  The suitcase also holds memories of his mother before she died. One day he got taken to a foster home. but the family was really mean to him. he left the foster home at night because he did not like the family because they put him in their shed, so he ran away. When he left he went under the tree of the library. While looking in his suitcase that day he thinks that a guy named Herman E. Calaway is his father.  After that day he goes on an adventurous journey and meets new friends on the way.  He meets his family in the middle of the book, though some people that he meets are not his family but they are considered his family though. At the end he finds out a secret.  If you want to find out what the secret is then read the book and find out.

When you read it I bet it would have been the best book you’ve ever read.  After you get the book and finish the book comment on this blog and tell me about it and how you liked it.  

Article posted March 13, 2012 at 02:22 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 157

Bud cares for his family in any situation. He cared for his family when he went to Grand Rapids from Flint, when he feels emotional, and when he escapes his foster homes. Family is everything to Bud.

I knew Bud loved his family when he went to Grand Rapids. I know this because he read all day trying to figure out how to get to Grand Rapids. I also knew that Bud loved his family going to Grand Rapids when he kept continuing with courage. Bud kept trying to calculate the miles from the books. Bud loved his family going to Grand Rapids.

I know that Bud feels emotional when it comes to family because he always shows his emotions. He shows his emotions when he looks at the rocks his mom gave him and when he takes out the items of his suit case. The items inspired Bud because they were his mom’s. Bud has emotional feelings when it comes to everyone in his family and even when it comes to his grandpa, Herman Calloway who is distressed when it comes to talking about Bud’ s mom.

Bud escaped his foster homes just to escape to who he thinks is his father but really is his grandpa. I know this because Bud escaped from a garage full of bees with hope surging through him knowing he still had a family. He also escaped other homes to go to what he thinks is his dad, Herman Calloway. Bud is a great boy with great courage when it comes to his family. I think Bud can achieve many things when it comes to family.

Article posted March 8, 2012 at 03:12 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 214

Bud not buddy

Everybody needs a family. In the book, Bud, Not Buddy,Bud the main character tries to find his family after his mother dies. Everybody needs a family to give you food everyday, take care of you when you are sad, and to love you. You wont have anyone to care for you if you don't have a family.

Everybody needs a family to give them food everyday. As it says in the book, Bud,Not Buddy, Bud didn't have much food to eat on his journey to find his family. The only place he could eat was at the Mission which ends at 7:00 am. This shows me that you really need a family to give you food otherwise you wont survive.

Everybody needs family to take care of you when you are sad. According to Bud Not Buddy, Bud went to is mothers funeral. As it says in the book” But the tears coming out doesn't happen to me anymore, I don't know when it first happened but it seems like my eyes don't cry no more.“ This tells me that Bud just cant cry any more.

Everybody needs a family to love them. In Bud not Buddy,Buds mother loves him very much ,but after his mothers death he was taken to an orphanage. He had gotten a new home but those who lived there did not have much empathy for him. He was locked the foster home shed and then was stung by hornets after what he thought was a bat was actually a hornets nest. Then he ran away from the foster home and then was on the lam until he found his grandfather who he thought was his father. And that was when he finally found his real family that actually loved him. This tells me that Bud took a really long time to find his real family.

Everybody needs family. Everyone has their own special family to make them happy and safe.

Bud Not Buddy is a Riveting book! The Author is Christopher Paul Curtis.The characters in this story are Bud,Bugs Mr.Calloway,and the Dusky Devastators of the depression. Bud carries a suitcase with him every where he goes he does this because inside the suitcase are his treasures, all the stuff his mom gave him. Inside the suitcase their might be the answer to the man who is his dad. Their is a picture of him in his suitcase labeled Mr.Calloway. Bud remembers when ever she saw this picture she would start bursting into tears.

Bud lives in a foster home because his mom died and he doesn’t know who his dad is. Bud leaves the foster home because he goes to a foster family that's really mean to him.

So after forcing the family's son to pee in his pants, and being locked in the garage. He leaves their house. Bud doesn’t go back to the foster home because he meets bugs. Who ran away from his foster family too. Bugs wants to go west,and never come back to the foster home.

Bud agrees,but when bugs jumps on the train to go west bud can’t make it. So he decides to go west but go to Grand Rapids. When he starts moving he meets a man named Lefty Louis. So he tells Lefty that he ran away from home but he tells him he ran away from Grand Rapids. So he drives him all the way there ,while their driving Bud thinks Lefty is a bad guy. He thinks this because Lefty has a box he doesn’t want the police to see. When he reaches Grand Rapids Bud walks into the room and see’s a bunch of man talking with each other. He Figures out they are the Dusky Devastators of the Depression. Bud ends up living in their house. Bud loves there music. Eventually he finds out that Mr.Callow is his Grandpa.

Bud Ultimately does find family the family are the Dusky Devastators of the Deppriosion!