Copyright (c) 2014 by Kelly S Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Kelly S -- Blogmeister

-

by Kelly S teacher: Melanie Transue

Stereotypes Do No Justice.

Stereotypes Do No Justice.

April Freewrite

The two boys came thundering down the stairs, laughing and talking. One of them, the one who lived in the house they were in, grabbed a set of car keys off the kitchen counter and started out the door. His mother, who was in the laundry room folding clothes, came out holding a half-folded shirt and shouted

“Wait!”

The two stopped in their tracks.

“Yes?” the son inquired.

“Where are you boys off to?” his mother asked, attempting to make it sound like a casual question.

“We’re going over to Ben’s for the day, he just opened his pool,” he answered with a patient tone.

“How long will you be gone? Will his mother be there? How long does it take you to get to Ben’s? What roads are you going to take? How many guys will be there? Will there be any girls there? Are they going to feed you? When will you get home? Are you-”

“Mom,” he cut her off, “we’ll be fine. I’ll drive safe and have dinner over there. It’s just gonna be me and the guys. If anything happens, I’ll call you.”

His mother didn’t look altogether reassured, but she let them leave. Once in the car, the boy’s friend turned to him and said,

“Why does she always seem to think you drive like we're holding up a bank? Or that we’re going to do something horrible, like murder the elderly couple down the street?"

The son replied,

"Because that's what teenagers do, right? They also carve swastikas into their arms, steal prescription drugs from old people, and have drug addictions. I need to institute a policy where she stops watching 60 Minutes and pretty much all public service announcements."

His friend snorted and agreed.

"I don't think they realize we're not all the same," he said.

Don’t base your judgments on the general image created by society’s stereotypes.

Article posted April 12, 2012 at 09:01 PM • comment (5) • Reads 104 • see all articles