Copyright (c) 2014 by Julie K Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Julie K -- Blogmeister

by Julie K teacher: Melanie Transue

Freshy:

Dear Freshman,

To start all of this off, I’d like to say freshman year isn’t as bad as everyone says it is. You’re able to choose how you want your freshman year. The one adjustment you need to make as a new freshman student is learning to multitask. Your teachers love to plan everything together. Once you accomplish this skill you’ll have no trouble flying through your freshman year; just like most of us soon to be sophomores, flew through ours.

Freshman year is the year you’re trusted more, but most people take it for granted. Your classes don’t get any easier and the teachers assign more homework. You can get through it, we did. Stay on top of things and you’ll be fine. Don’t contemplate on if you’re going to do the work or not. It’s best if you just do it to begin with that way your grades are good and you don’t have to worry about failing. If you plan on getting everything done and have a little fun, your freshman year will be a good transition and you’ll know what the future is going to hold for you.

Good luck and have fun new freshman! (:

Sincerely,

Julie.

February Freewrite:

Tragedies happen. People make mistakes. Accidents occur. On February 8th, the worst thing a daughter could think of happened to me. It was fourth period in the wacky Wednesday schedule; call comes through, I’m going home. I walk downstairs to find my dad. I asked him why he was there, then the gut renching news he told me I wasn’t prepared for. My step dad had been in an accident, and he knew nothing. The only thing he knew was that he was on his way to CMC in critical condition.

As I got there the accident had already been shown on the news, knowing no details to what had happened. I got to the hospital around 11:30 and hardly knew anything. I walk into a waiting room full of family, looking for answers and they had none to give me. I sat there waiting until finally at 2:57 I got to go in and see him. I expected him to look broken, but he didn’t. He looked like himself, only in pain. I expected to see him look completely different, unrecognizable, but he didn’t. As I walked into the room where he was, the most relieving feeling came over me. I finally knew for myself that he’d be okay. That day changed our lives forever.  

All of the different stories everyone's saying, all of what they think happened that day; here’s the truth to the accident and what happened. The man who hit my dad, wearing a seatbelt, with his three year old daughter right in the truck beside him, no car seat, no seatbelt, nothing. He was going too fast for the road and wasn’t paying attention period. He was in the middle of the road when the accident happened. My step dad slammed on the brakes, swerved to the right towards the bank, and still the other man managed to hit my step dad.

Instantly the man and his daughter were killed. There was a man following my step dad and he seen everything. They man a few days later called my step dad, and told him everything he seen. He said that he thought he was more in shock then my step dad was. He didn’t expect to see him get out of the truck, but he did. He went to get out of the passenger side and there was a five foot drop down, which he didn’t know about. He then rolled under the truck, then the man that was following my step dad ran towards him and helped him up. He stumbled up the bank to the other truck, but the man told him that he wasn’t allowing him to go to the other vehicle, that he didn’t find the man to be alive because the other truck was so bad. He was right, but come to find out was then when he noticed the little girl by him. They were instantly killed on impact.

My step dad called my mom when he was up on the road; she didn’t recognize his voice. He then told her what had happened, and she didn’t realize that he was the one in the accident. She then asked if he was okay thinking he was only the first one coming upon the accident. When he answered I don’t believe so, it finally clicked that it was him that had been in the accident, especially when he said the other man was dead. Not knowing how to react she just went to find out if everything. While she was on her way there, the man that had helped my step dad up the bank and seen everything went to go get help and call for the ambulance.

Two van-full of paramedics came to the scene of the accident, one van-full were working on my step dad and the other were trying to bring the other man and daughter back to life. They were unsuccessful. My mom got there to see him in the ambulance full of paramedics. Then she heard that there were two dead and that my step dad was in critical condition, and then heard that the life flight was coming. Luckily, the paramedics called off the life flight and took him to CMC on their own. The only good sign of that being that it wasn’t life threatening.

I finally found out all of this after I got there. It felt like it took a life time to find out about anything that had happened.

*That was only the beginning to a never ending story.

For what reasons did the witch die?

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 06:19 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 76

Was Mr. Halloway's talk with Will good or bad for their relationship?

November Freewrite:

“Brothers and sisters are as close as hands and feet.”<3

One! Two! Three! Four! How many siblings do you have? I have one sister and two brothers. They are like my best friends. They have my back no matter what and I know I can count on them for anything. They honestly mean the world to me and I have no idea what I’d do without them. Granted they are a complete pain, but if I didn’t have them things wouldn’t be the same. I wouldn’t be the person I am if I didn’t have them.

People say hands and feet are far apart, but yet you need both to survive in life. They may look far apart on your body, but they really aren’t. You need hands to hold and feet to play with. Some brothers and sisters fight, but eventually you out grow it. Either way you look at it; you do need your brothers and sisters if you’re fortunate enough to have them.

Is Mr. Halloway black or white; black meaning evil and white being good?

December Freewrite:

How many days until Christmas? How many hours until Christmas? How many minutes until Christmas? The countdown to Christmas begins!(: There’s thirty-nine days, ten hours, and fifty-four minutes as of this time right now until Christmas! Have you ever had the butterfly jitters the night before Christmas because you’re so overly excited for the next day? I can say that I have. I never sleep on Christmas Eve.

All the excitement, curiosity, and enjoyment of what you’re going to get the next day. Then you begin staring at the clock. The times just barely ticking by. Then all of a sudden you realize you’ve fallen asleep. You wake up check the time; then go and wake everyone your house up. Then before you almost go crazy, you FINALLY get to open your presents. After present time comes, it’s time to go play in the snow. Oh how I can’t wait for Christmas.(:

Julie

“Opposites Attract?”

If you were a boy who loved fishing and wanted to be with a breath-taking girl who hated fishing; would you choose the girl or the fish? Would you choose the fish who won’t ever leave or the girl who could leave in the blink of an eye? Would you choose the spoiled girl or the fish that’s the biggest one you’ve ever hooked? Shelia Mant and the boy named Narrator are opposites. Shelia Mant is spoiled and doesn’t exactly care what other people think; while on the other hand Narrator isn’t spoiled, but chares what other people think.

First, Shelia Mant is spoiled and she knows it. She’s the type of girl who brags about what she has. For example, in the story she goes on bragging saying, “I went to a party there. These fraternity men. Katherine says I could even get in there if I wanted to. I’m thinking more of UVM or Bennington. Somewhere I can ski” (8). Then she kind of just throws out the fact that Eric said, “I have the figure to model, but I thought I should get an education first” (8). Then she goes on saying, “I was thinking of getting my hair styled more swept back? I mean Ann Margret? Like hers, only shorter” (8). She seems like she’s self-centered and only cares if things have to do with her. It also seems like she almost throws around money that isn’t ever hers.

On the other hand for the opposite opinion I could see how people may think she isn’t spoiled. She could’ve just been trying to give Narrator seeing how it’s their first date. Maybe she was just trying to be talkative to her date and tell him what other people think about her. Possibly he’d agree. Instead of talking about herself; what she could’ve done was talk to her date and ask him things to start a conversation.

Like wise, Narrator isn’t spoiled because he likes to fish and has all the things he wants to fish. His problem is that he cares about what other people think. It makes him a person that has his own mind and makes his own decisions, but when it comes to Shelia Mant it’s like he doesn’t have a brain at all. For instance, when he said, “Four things occurred to me at once. One, that it was a bass. Two, that it was a big bass. Three, that it was the biggest bass I had ever hooked. Four, that Shelia Mant must not know” (5). In this situation he needs to do what he wants to do. If he wants to go for the bass then he should go for it. Just because a girl doesn’t like it doesn’t mean you have to change too. This part of the story also goes with him not needing to care what Shelia Mant or anyone else things. She said, “I think fishing’s dumb. I mean it’s boring and all. Definitely dumb” (5). He likes it; so he should continue doing what he likes to do.

In other words, by reading my essay can you see why I believe that Shelia Mant is spoiled and doesn’t exactly care what people think; but narrator isn’t spoiled, but does care what other people think. If I were Narrator I would’ve picked the fish; which one would you have picked?

Works Cited

Wetherell, W. D. "The Bass, The River, and Sheila Mant" Pathways: Literature for Readers and Writers. Logan, IO: Perfection Learning, 2008. 4-10. Print.

Julie

Mr. Woolcock

Science

The Slingshot

Have you ever tried to make a car move from only being powered by a mousetrap? It's actually not as difficult as it sounds; as long as you think up different ideas. The final design was completely different from our first idea. Our first idea was to have guide wheels and after we thought about it and redesigned it; it was a completely better idea. If I could do this project over I'd keep the final design of the car because it worked well. The only thing I'd change would be how fixed the back wheels are and make them easier to adjust. I think if I could grade the build of the car, how consistent it was, and how far it goes that I would give it a 95%. I believe our car did considerably well compare to our first fun.

The final design of our car was completely different than our first idea. In our first idea we didn't have the wheels angled at all; it was all going to be on the guide wheels to guide it around the corner. That plan would have failed terribly. The only thing that stayed the same with our first idea was the wheels, and even that we changed a little. Instead of having a straight extended snapper bar we ended up having to bend it a little that way the fish line wouldn't get caught on the wooden base, but if you don't wind it up right it'll still get caught. I believe that the final design and the one day and night build turned out better than our first idea would have even if we had more time to mess with it.

After our one day and night rebuild the best part of the car would be the best part of the car was the fact that it actually went to the end zone, went over one bump, and went over two bumps and still went to the end zone. The worst thing about the car would be the fact that we couldn't adjust the wheels unless we took almost the entire back end apart. If I could redo the car I would make it to where we could adjust the wheels easier. I'd also make it to where the fish line attached to the mousetrap came off that way it didn't stop the wheels, but luckily we had good timing and the wheels stop spinning on or close to the end zone.

I would assign my partner and I a 95%. I would give us this grade because our car reaches the end zone. It was consistent three out of four times; the first time was a false start. It reaches the end zone regularly; with one bump, with two bumps and no bump. Our car is consistent with all of the tries. I believe my partner and I got a 92% which is close enough to our grade and I believe that if we wouldn't have had a false start that our grade would've been a 95% to a 100%.

Throughout the mousetrap racecar project I learned that a mousetrap can actually power a car. I also learned that creating a car to go seven feet, turn around a forty-five degree turn and then go another seven feet isn't really that difficult. That's what I learned while doing this project. Also, the difference between the first idea and our final idea were completely different, what the best and worst features of the car were and what I could have done differently, and what I would have given myself as a grade.

Article posted October 14, 2011 at 07:10 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 44

- Picture laying the soft green grass looking up at the blue sky. Picture listening to the leaves falling of the trees and scurrying across the ground. Picture seeing the first snowflakes fall in front of the beautiful fall trees. I believe this is the perfect place to raise a family because it's peaceful, it's rural, and it's a beautiful place.

- Look over the fence; is it better on the other side? Is it perfect on the other side of the fence? Is it greener on the other side? I believe it's not always greener on the other side of the fence because things aren't always as they seem, once on the other side of the grass it could be worse, and the grass isn't really brighter and greener on the other side.