Copyright (c) 2014 by Kayla J Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Kayla J -- Blogmeister

Blogs :)-

by Kayla J teacher: Melanie Transue

Article posted May 31, 2012 at 03:42 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 85

For my May free write I’m going to share a poem written by myself called smile.

Smile

Some people say it’s easier

To fake a smile instead

And in a sense they could be right

But things could be worse

You could be dead

Look at the bright side

At all that you have now

It’s better to be living life

Then to be buried in the ground

Some people don’t have homes

Some people don’t have food

Even some of them have bright and happy moods

God blessed us with the gift of life

So make something out of every mile

Appreciate what you have

And show that gorgeous smile

I know you can do it

I know that you’re strong

Just keep pushing through

Things will get better before long.

That is the poem I chose to share by myself written by myself.

Dear Freshy,

You made it! Congratulations for passing 8th grade! Being a Freshman is completely different than all of your previous years in school. You have a lot more free time, but also a lot more responsibilities. Every year the teachers warn you and tell you that the next year is going to be much harder. They do that to make sure you’re prepared for the next year and ready to take on whatever comes at you. For some students it works, and for some it doesn’t.

This year everything changes. If you’re not organized and you get behind, it’s extremely hard to catch up. From now on you have to take your work seriously. There is fun stuff that you get to do though. Like this year you get to go to homecoming and pep rallies. You also get to see the high school talent show. As long as you keep up with your work and as long as you don’t slack, this should be a completely amazing year for you. Welcome to your first year of high school! Good luck!!

Love,

Kayla

Love Story

Have you ever read the story or play Romeo and Juliet By Shakespeare? If so, have you also heard the song "Love Story" by Taylor Swift? Do you think that according to the play, the song is accurate? It is.

The song "Love Story" by Taylor Swift shows that Romeo and Juliet met at a party. Then after that they fell in love. They couldn't see each other because Juliet's father told Romeo to stay away from Juliet. Even after that Romeo came back to Juliet and asked her to marry her. Of course Juliet said yes after that.

One example would be in the song where it says "We were both young when I first saw you." In the play and in the story both Romeo and Juliet were young when they first met. Another example is the part of the song that says " See the lights, see the party, the ball gowns." That part is accurate because Romeo and Juliet first saw each other at a party at Juliet's house. A third example would be when the song says "My daddy said stay away from Juliet" That part is accurate because Romeo and Juliet's family disliked each other very much so Juliet's father didn't want Romeo around his daughter. A fourth example in the song is when is says "Marry me Juliet, you never have to be alone, I love you and that's all I really know." This is accurate because in the play and in the story Romeo did ask Juliet to marry him.

In conclusion, the song "Love Story" is accurate to Romeo and Juliet the play and the story.

Article posted May 1, 2012 at 06:03 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 47

April Free write

For my April free write I am going to share a poem that I wrote myself. The poem is called Stay strong

Stay Strong

Things will get better

I promise they will

Keep being positive

And the hole in your heart will fill

I know it’s not easy

Going through all of this

It feels like it will never end

But it’s the big picture you’re starting to miss

A lot of people have tragedies

Happen to them in their life

I know it seems like you’ve had more

You might just be right

It all happened in such a short time

Keep your head up

I know you’ll be just fine

You think it’s not fair

And you think you can’t cope

But god is testing you

And keeping this all in notes

The fact that your being

So strong and believing

That everything always happens for a reason

Means that of course, you’re passing his test

Just keep looking forward

And trying your best.

That is the poem I wrote and decided to share for my April free write.

Article posted March 27, 2012 at 03:25 AM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 54

Friendship

Are there special people in your life? People that you couldn’t live without? People that may not really be your family but you still consider them that? Friendship is something that can be very rare. You never know who your real friends are or who is just pretending to be. When you do find people that you can trust it’s important to hold on to them and never betray their trust. If you end up betraying someone’s trust there’s a chance that you can never get it back. How can you have a really good and healthy friendship with no trust? Its simple, you can’t.

Your friends are not only the people that you can trust, but also the people that you like to be around and have a good time with. I know that all of my friends have a couple huge things in common. They can all make me laugh. And they also know how to make me feel better when something’s wrong. Though friends are special, there’s a huge difference between friends and best friends. Friends know you. But best friends know you even more. Best friends are the ones that can always tell when there’s something wrong no matter how hard you try to hide it. Best friends also know how to help you when you have a problem. They’re always there for you no matter what time it is, and you should be able to trust you more than anything.

If you’re a best friend then you can also be classified as family to me.

Construction Theory- Historicism

A Historicist would celebrate The Diary of Anne Frank by Anne Frank.

One reason Historicists would celebrate this book because it goes back to the Holocaust and it is very historically correct. This book is very accurate with the Holocaust because it is from the diary of Anne Frank who was actually in the Holocaust.

Another reason Historicists would celebrate this book because in the book it described the same setting as the setting that was really there during the holocaust. It is very important to Historicists that everything makes sense for the dates, times, and background in books and everything made sense in this book especially because it was from the point of view of a person that was actually there. An example of why historicists would celebrate this book would be how in the book Anne Frank and her family had to hide because they were jewish. If they didn't hide the nazi's would have found them and they would have been sent to a concentration camp. This is a good example because that part of history reallly happened and it was very historically correct

In conclusion, a Historicist would celebrate The Diary of Anne Frank.

Make a video of your own at Animoto.

February free write

Movie theaters

Everyone enjoys doing something fun right? Like hanging out with friends. Or seeing a good movie with friends. Going to the movies with my friends is one of my favorite things to do. There are always multiple movies to pick from and if you don’t like the movies that are playing they always switch to new movies.

If you go to the movies with friends then it gives you a reason to spend time with them. It also gives you and your friends something to talk about. Another great thing about going to the movies is that you get to watch a movie on a huge screen. You also have a choice to get pop-corn and soda and other good snacks.

From my experience of going to the movies I have come to realize that there are a few different types of people that go to the movies. One type is the people that go and are very interested in watching the movie. These people are the people that will watch the entire movie without feeling the need to talk the whole time. The other type of people are the people who just sit there and talk to the person next to them or they do something else distracting. These people could still be watching the movie, but they seem to make a lot of comments about the movie while the movie is still on. I am the type of person that just likes to watch the movie. To me it makes no sense to go out and spend money to watch a movie if your just going to talk the whole time.

Going to the movies is very common for my friends and I to do. Whether it’s a movie that we’re dying to see, or if it’s just a plan we made to hang out with each other. We always seem to have a good time. Even if it’s a sad movie, we can still share all of our thoughts about the movie once it’s over. This also gives us a topic to talk about. That is what I think about going to the movie theaters.

Have you ever known anyone that just seemed to be a great person? Someone who has given great advice? Someone who has been extremely smart? In the story Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury Mr. Halloway was a very caring man. He was also an incredibly intelligent man. Another word that describes Mr. Halloway is curious. Mr. Halloway is a very caring man. For instance when the book said “Will…” said dad, “…be careful.” (Bradbury 91). This shows That Mr. Halloway is caring because he knew something was going on with Will and he wanted to make sure Will was safe. Another time Mr. Halloway showed that he is a caring man is in chapter 43 on page 220 when Mr. Halloway risked his life to keep the boys safe. This shows that Mr. Halloway is a caring man because he cared enough about the boys to risk his own life just to keep them safe. A third example to show that Mr. Halloway is a caring man is in chapter 52 on page 261 when he went back to all of the craziness of the carnival just to save Jim. This shows that he was a caring man because he could have just left knowing that him and his son could have got away safely but instead he went back to save Jim’s life. Some people may think that Mr. Halloway is not caring because he killed the dust witch but he only did it to keep everyone safe. Mr. Halloway is also a very intelligent man. As an illustration, in chapter 47 on page 249 Mr. Halloway came up with the idea to participate in the bullet trick that was being shown to the crowd at the carnival. Mr. Halloway was told to carve his signature into the bullet and when he did he drew a smiley face. Before Mr. Halloway shot the other bullet he told the witch that he gave her his smile. The bullet with the smiley face was in her mouth as it was part of the trick and she choked on it and died. This shows that Mr. Halloway is intelligent because he knew that if he told the with that he gave her his smile it would catch he off guard and scare her into swallowing the bullet or choking on it. Another example of how Mr. Halloway is intelligent is in chapter 24 when he gave Will the huge talk about happiness. This showed that he was intelligent because he had a lot of wise things to say to will that were not only true but somewhat helped Will feel a little better. A third example that shows that Mr. Halloway was intelligent was when the witch was trying to stop Mr. Halloway’s “clock”. Mr. Halloway knew that the witch could not really hurt him with his “magic”. For instance when the book said “Her fall, the door slam, almost broke his frame with laughter” (Bradbury 229). This means that when the witch discovered that Mr. Halloway knew that she could not kill him it hurt and embarrassed her so she ran off. Some people may think that Mr. Halloway is infact not intelligent because he risked his life just to destroy a dark carnival but they are wrong because he was doing what he knew to be the right thing to do. That is how Mr. Halloway is intelligent. Something else that describes Mr. Halloway’s personality would be curious. On example to show how Mr. Halloway is curious is in chapter 43 when he was curious as to how Mr. Dark thought he was going to kill him with only his silly magic. This made him curious because he was really wondering what was running through Mr. Darks mind at this time. Another thing that made Mr. Halloway have curious as a personality trait was when Mr. Halloway was asking Will about everything that had happened. For instance the book said “”Yes Will?” said his father, with difficulty, the pipe in his hand going dead. “Go on”” (Bradbury 131). Some people may think that Mr. Halloway is not curious because he did not force Will to tell him what was going on right away, but he knew that if something got too out of hand Will would tell him. Also Mr. Halloway trusted Will to behave himself and stay out of trouble if he could. A third example of why Mr. Halloway could be labeled as curious is because in chapter 38 on page 188 when he found out the boys were in trouble and it had something to do with the carnival he went straight to the library to do as much research as he could. That is how Mr. Halloway is a curios man. In the book Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury Mr. Halloway could have been characterized as Caring, Intelligent, and curious. Those were definitely the biggest traits that popped out. Altogether it could be summed up to say that Mr. Halloway was a very good man. That is examples to prove it.

Article posted December 21, 2011 at 06:16 PM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 71

How did the dust witch die?

Article posted December 20, 2011 at 05:31 PM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 49

December Freewrite

Isn't it great to see huge smiles on little kids faces? Like when they get presents. Take Christmas as an example. Christmas isn't about getting new gifts. Its about spending time with family and giving.

I love Christmas because I love to watch the look on all the little kids faces when they get something new. Another thing I love about Christmas is that I get to spend time with the whole family. Of course its nice to get new stuff. But to me, that's not what Christmas is about.

Another great thing about Christmas is all the Christmas specials on TV. Every year my sister and I watch the 25 days of Christmas leading up to the actual Christmas day. Even though its pretty much the same specials every year its still fun to watch them because we only watch them once a year.

Like I said, of course it is nice to get presents. Everyone enjoys getting new stuff. That makes Christmas eve such a suspenseful night. I'm sure everyone has a hard time getting to sleep that night because they cant wait until the next day. I know I do. Christmas is my favorite holiday. And those are some of the reasons why.

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 06:18 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 76

In part two of the book Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury why were the people in the carnival looking for Jim and Will?

Why are some people not in favor of the carnival?

Lying Can Be Good

Everybody has lied in their lifetime right? Is it only bad when they lie? Can a lie be good sometimes? I recently had the opportunity to read the story The Djinn who lived between night and day. In this story a mother and a father lost all of their children to a horrible plague. One Djinn named Tayab Told the mother that he would bring her children back to life if she would run away and never speak again or return. Tayab ended up leaving the woman to starve to death by the sea. the father was still alive though suffering because of the thought of his whole family being dead. Tayab’s brother Al Faq went to the father and told him the same lie but had villagers take care of him so he could live with the thought of his family being alive. The theme in the story The Djinn who lived between night and day is that in some situations lying can be good. Lying can sometimes help people; Al Faq didn’t intentionally hurt anyone; and some people may think that lying is bad in all cases. I believe that my statement is true. That is why lying can be good in some cases.

Lying can help people sometimes like it did in the story. For example in the story a man had his life saved because of a lie that Al faq told him. The lie that he said was “Mortal man, I am the angel of the gate, and I have heard your prayers. As you feared, your wife, like your children, is dead. I will return them all to life if you will but keep faith in me” (4 Djinn). Specifically the lie helped the guy because the lie gave him hope that his family was still alive. Another way the lie helped people was that all the villagers believed that they now had a holy man living with them in their village because the djinn went to all of them and whispered “There is a holy man beside the sea. Find him. Care for him” (4 Djinn). A third reason that Lies can be helpful is because in the story the guy got to live a happier life even though he couldn’t see his family he was happy that he thought they got to live. Those are some examples of how the lie was helpful with the man and how lies can actually be helpful.

Some people may think that lying is bad in all cases but they are wrong because when you are doing it to help someone or even save a life that should be more than acceptable. If someone’s life depends on a lie then you should definitely tell the lie. You have to be careful though to make sure that it’s not a huge lie that they could find the truth about and could be turned around and make everything worse for them. You also have to be careful that it’s not a big lie that could end up turning on you if or when they find out the truth. Another thing you have to make sure of is that your intentions are good. That is why not all lies are bad.

In The story when Al Faq lied he didn’t do it to intentionally hurt the man. One way that I know this is because Al Faq saw that his brother’s lie hurt the woman and wanted to show how it could have helped her. Another way I know this is because Al Faq knew that even though the lie he said was a lie it was still for the greater good. A third reason was that Al Faq knew that what his brother did was wrong and he wanted to go back and fix his mistake. Al Faq cared about the man. For instance when Tayab Told Al Faq about the man was still alive Al Faq said “I wonder about him” (3 Djinn). That is how Al Faq’s lie was intentionally good.

My statement of lying can be good sometimes is true because even though lying is bad it can still help people. The fact that you are helping someone should go over the fact that lying to them is bad depending on how big or how bad the lie is. Everyone should always be trying to help everyone no matter what it takes. Lying is still bad so you shouldn’t do it but when you feel like you have no choice and you might be helping someone then it might be the right thing to do. You should trust my statement because I am a good student. That is why lying can be good in certain situations.

November Freewrite

Thanksgiving

Do you have a tradition? Like having an Easter egg hunt every year on Easter? Or going on a special vacation every summer? One of my families traditions is to go to one of the family members house on thanksgiving and eat dinner. We also take that time to catch up with each other and make new memories. Each year we switch whose house we go to. We normally switch between my house and my aunts house every other year.

Before we eat our thanksgiving dinner we always go around the table to say what we are thankful for. All of us always agree most of the time that we are all thankful for being able to all take time to spend time together. In our thanksgiving tradition we basically always have the same foods. We have a turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, biscuits, and gravy. For dessert we normally have an assortment of pies and cakes. After we eat and clean up my cousins, nephews and any other kids and I go and play games or just talk and joke with each other. While we do that the adults sit down and talk with each other to catch up some more. That is how we spend our thanksgiving with a tradition. How do you spend yours?

POV- 3rd Person- Omniscient

Tom And Sally were going for a walk down the road when they found a small puppy. Tom thought they should just leave it there so he said, “Someone else will find it and pick it up so let's just leave it there." But Sally thought that the right thing to do was to bring it home so she said, “No lets take it home and care for it." Both of them wanted their way so they decided to compromise. They took the puppy to an animal shelter. This way they both ended up happy because the puppy was taken care of but they didn’t have to take it home and have a new responsibility.

POV-3rd Person- Limited Omniscient

Tom and Sally were going for a walk down the road when they found a small puppy. Tom thought they should just leave it there so he said, “Someone else will find it and pick it up so let's just leave it here." Then Sally said, “No lets take it home and care for it." Tom started thinking of a compromise and decided they could take the puppy to an animal shelter. That way they didn’t have to take the puppy home or leave it on the side of the road.

POV-3rd Person- Dramatic

Tom And Sally were going for a walk down the road when they found a small puppy. Tom said, “Someone else will find it and pick it up so let's just leave it here." Sally said, “No lets take it home and care for it." Compromising on the situation they decided to take the puppy to an animal shelter. The puppy ended up being taken care of without Sally and Tom having the responsibility of a new puppy.

Mousetrap Racer Final Write-Up

Do you think it’s possible to make a small racing car be able to move by itself with the engine of a mousetrap? It is! We had to make groups and build a mousetrap racer with only a mouse trap for the engine. Overall I think our car turned out pretty good. The main things about our racer was that we had to change our original design to make it so the car could actually go. Our car had good parts to it and bad parts, and I think our cars grade should be a 95%. Those are some things about our mousetrap racers.

The final design of our car was very different than what we had originally designed. Our original design had two strings and it was going to steer itself. For our final design we ended up just turning the wheels so it would gradually turn itself and go around the corner. The final design of our car was also different because we ended up not having to use the whole that we drilled into the two pieces of wood. We also just put regular eye hooks on it to attach the wheels instead of making them be able to be steered. That is how the final design of our car was different than the original design.

Our project had a good side and a bad side. The bad side of our car was that it took so long to make it actually move and even when it did move it still didn’t make the turn. The good side to our car is that eventually it did move and it made it to line C. If we were going to do the project again and we did something different I would say that we would try to work faster so we had more time to work out the little problems in the car. We would also turn the wheels more so our car actually turned and maybe even made it past the finish line. That is the best and worst parts of our car and how we would do it differently if we built it again.

For our project I would give us a 95%. Why I would give us a 95% is because we worked so hard to at least get our car to go and even though it didn’t make it past the finish line it still made it up to line C. Another reason I would give my group and I a 95% is because we started out having no idea what we were going to do or how we were going to do it but we still ended up with an ok car. Also we worked on the car every class possible and didn’t waste time talking about things that were irrelevant. The most important thing is that we tried our best to get the project done the right way. That is why I would give myself and my group a 95%.

While doing this project I have learned a lot more than I thought I would. In the beginning I thought that I would be completely clueless during the whole project and we wouldn’t be able to do it. After my group and I started working on the car we all got the hang of it. One thing that I learned is that you don’t have to have a motorized engine to make something go. Another thing I have learned is that speed and velocity are very important when it comes to ending up passed the finish line and staying there. Also I have learned that if you want your car to pass the finish line there can be no glitches even if they are small, your car has to be problem free. That is what I learned while doing the mousetrap racer

Article posted October 14, 2011 at 07:09 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 44

Questions

Do you feel guilty when you cheat? Does it not affect you at all? Do you wish that you can go back and play the game right? I believe that it is better to be honest and lose than to cheat and win because if you cheat and win you could get caught, you could have to play again and not be able to cheat, or you could feel guilty until you confess.

General to specific

There is a difference between right and wrong. Some people know the difference but they really don’t care. Other people know the difference but they aren’t sure when to correct people for their wrong doing. In my opinion it is appropriate to tell on a friend when they have done something that can hurt themselves or someone else, you could get into trouble, or you could stop something bad from happening.

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 02:43 AM GMT0 • comment (3) • Reads 44

October Freewrite

Has anyone ever told you that something wasn’t going to be easy then you did it and it was? Has that happened several times? After the first couple of times do you stop believing them? In each grade everybody used to tell me that the next one is a lot harder and it never really seemed to be true… until freshman year.

Until 9th grade everything always used to come so easily to me. Now looking back I wish it was still that easy. This year we have to really buckle down and be able to multi-task. One of the things that I have learned is that you really need to be organized or things will be more difficult then they already are. Keeping track isn’t as easy as I thought it would be. I’m not saying that I don’t like freshman year so far, we do get a lot of more freedom then we did in the past years. We also get more privileges, we just have to work a lot harder to succeed.

Even though things aren’t as easy time seems to be going a lot faster than last year. It feels like just last week we were coming in for our first day of school. So far my favorite thing about freshman year has been our homecoming and the pep rally. My least favorite thing is that we have to do a lot of more standing up in front of the class and talking. Even though I know eventually we will have to do it, it has always been a big thing that I don’t like. That is my view on how freshman year is so far! Hope you liked it!

Article posted October 12, 2011 at 01:18 AM GMT0 • comment • Reads 47

Theme: Learn from other peoples mistakes.

Story Application: In the story Tayab made the mistake of lying to the mother and giving her false hope. Al-fag knew that that was not the right thing to do.

Real life application:If you know somebody who has made a mistake then you can watch the consequences that they have because of what they did and know not to do the same thing.

Article posted September 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 59

Do you know what I did last summer?

Over the past summer of 2011 I did a lot of things with my family. One thing that I did over the summer was babysit my two nephews. I babysat four days a week. This went on throughout the whole summer. Another thing I did was that I went camping with my bestfriend and my family at knoebels. We camped there for three days and had a really fun time. We went on all of the rides and played a lot of games.

Another thing I did this summer was I had a really big party for my friends and family. At my party we had a cotton candy and a snow cone machine and we swam and had a campfire and fireworks. I’m pretty sure everyone had a good time at the party.

During the summer I also had a lot of campfires with my family. When we had campfires we would normally make s’mores and just hang out and have fun. My summer went by REALLY fast.

Although I did have a lot of fun I wish it would have lasted longer. That’s what I did over the summer. I hope you enjoyed reading about it!

Article posted September 15, 2011 at 11:13 PM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 104

Visual Representation of Me!    

Hey, my name is Kayla and like to sing. I had to decorate my binder for English class. My quote that I put on my binder is “Faith is taking the first step even when you can’t see the whole staircase” by Martin Luther King Jr. I chose this quote because I believe that it is very true that sometimes you have to do things even when you don’t know how they will end up. The first picture that I chose for a band or artist that I like was a picture of Justin Bieber. I chose this picture because he is one of my favorite singers. The picture that I chose for a picture of a book that I read and loved as a child was a picture of the book The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss. I read this book all the time when I was little. The picture that describes me is a heart. I put the heart to say that I’m loving. The picture I put for whatever I wanted is a picture of microphones. I put microphones because I love to sing. Thanks for reading my presentation. If you want to know more just ask!