Copyright (c) 2014 by Brodyn B Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Brodyn B -- Blogmeister

The Crazy Page-

by Brodyn B teacher: Melanie Transue

Have you ever thought what your favorite cars were? This essay will discuss the five greatest muscle cars. Cars such as the excellent 1970 Ford Mustang GT, 1969 Chevy Camaro SS, 1969 Pontiac GTO, 1969 Dodge Charger R/T, and the 1969 Chevy Chevelle SS all have the brutal simplicity of the hardcore muscle cars.

To begin the 1970 Ford Mustang GT came with and endless amount of options such as 8 different engine options ranging from 250 V-6 with 155HP to the monstrous Boss 429 which made upwards of 500 HP. The most sought after Mustang GT is the Hardtop 4 speed manual with the Boss 429. But the most valuable one is the Convertible with the 4-speed manual only 789 were produced.

Next is the 1969 Chevy Camaro SS which was a fierce competitor to the Mustang GT. The Camaro came with 8 different engines including the package engines. The smallest was a 350 V-8 and the biggest was the Yenko ZL-1 which was a 7-liter V-8 that produced over 500 HP. This was also the rarest Camaro only 69 Yenko ZL-1’s were produced and now would cost upwards of $250,000.

The third candidate is the 1969 Pontiac GTO which was one of the most powerful cars at that time. These cars came standard with 400 cbi (Cubic Inch) V-8 that made 350 HP. You could also special order GTO’s with the RA-3 or RA-4 (RA – RAM Air). The RA-3 could make a 366 HP but the RA-4 could produce 370 HP these cars were performance machines and helped the car reach 0 to 60 in 6.1 seconds. The GTO could also be ordered with a package called the Judge. This package made the GTO faster but also gave it an exterior personality by adding a spoiler and decals. You still had to order the RA-4 for the package.

The fourth car is the 1969 Dodge Charger R/T which is one of the most sought after cars still. The Dodge Charger changed from 68 to 69 by adding a grille divider and new taillights. It also came with a vinyl top option and a sleeker more appealing body and many new paint choices. The Charger also came with 8 different engines. Ranging from the 225 inline 6 to the powerhouse the 426 V-8 Hemi. The 225 only produced about 145 HP while the Hemi produced around 425 HP. This greatly affected the top speed because the car weighed in around 3800 pounds. The R/T package gave the Charger a new suspension and heavy duty shocks and anti sway bar which greatly improved the handling of the giant.

The fifth and final car is the 69 Chevy Chevelle SS which is probably the most common muscle car known. The Chevelle was greatly similar to the Chevy Malibu which also came with a SS package. These two cars were often confused with each other. Three engines were offered with the SS package of the Chevelle. These were the 396, 402, and L72 427. The 396 was offered so it could produce 325, 350, and 375HP. While the 427 could produce 425HP and made the Chevelle have a 0 to 60 time of 6.5 seconds. This car was the second fastest muscle car at that time.

In conclusion all these cars are idols of car fanatics and kids alike. The brute power and the bulky look gave them a personality no other car could match. If you decide you want a muscle car I would highly recommend one of these monsters.
Works Cited:
[LINK]]
[LINK]
[LINK]
[LINK]
[LINK]

Article posted May 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM • comment • Reads 151 • see all articles