Copyright (c) 2014 by Mackenzie J Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mackenzie J -- Blogmeister

Kenzies Blog-

by Mackenzie J teacher: Melanie Transue

My essay!

Kenzie Miss Transue

CP English 9

31, October 2011

Fishing or the Girl?

Imagine you finally build up the courage to ask your crush on a date. You make sure everything is perfect just for that special evening. You’re finally on the date and everything starts to go wrong, your date hates to do your favorite thing, she is constantly complaining, and she left you for another boy! That is exactly what happened to the Narrator in the story “The Bass, The River, and Sheila Mant by W.D. Wetherell.” I think that the Narrator should have left his date for the bass he snagged on their way to the concert.

I think that the Narrator should have left Sheila for the bass because Sheila Mant wasn’t very nice to him. One way Sheila wasn’t very nice to the Narrator would be that she only talks about herself. She would even talk about another boy Eric Caswell who would tell her she has the figure of a model and he has a car, things she wants in a boy. Another example of how Sheila wasn’t nice to him was when she left him for another boy after the dance “All I really remember is her coming over to me once the music was done to explain that she would be going home in Eric Caswell’s Corvette.” Finally she only danced with him once or twice; after all of the stress he went through that night, letting the fish go.

Next Sheila Mant and the Narrator have nothing in common. To start Sheila hates fishing. In the short story Sheila Mant refers to fishing as “boring” and “Definitely dumb.” The Narrator on the other hand has a deep passion for fishing; he said he never went anywhere that summer without his fishing rod and when he wasn’t swimming to impress Sheila he would be practicing his casting, testing the reel’s drag, or he would be just fishing. Also Sheila Mant is social and the narrator is shy. In the story it said that the Mants would have parties and soft ball games constantly. The Narrator was shy because during the short story he would always watch Sheila to see what she was like, but he would never approach her. Finally Sheila wants to go by car, but the Narrator insist on going by canoe because he doesn’t have a car and he is always in it for fishing he even refers to it as his master stroke.

From a different point of view I can see why the Narrator chooses Sheila Mant over the bass. The Narrator spent all day preparing for that night and he had spent the whole summer dreaming about her. He watched her from a distance to learn anything about her such as any of her moods for an example “before July was over I had learned all her moods, if she lay flat on the diving board with her hand trailing idly in the water, she was pensive not to be disturbed...” Even thou these things might be true, the Narrator said “before the month was over, the spell she cast over me was gone, but the memory of that lost bass haunted me...”

When reading the “Bass, the River, and Sheila Mant by W.D. Wetherell” I came to realize that the Narrator should stick to fishing because it is what he loves to do. Finally by the end of the short story I think he realizes that to. That is why I think that the Narrator should have left his date for the bass he snagged on the way to the concert.

Wetherell, W. D. "The Bass, The River, and Sheila Mant" Pathways: Literature for Readers and Writers. Logan, IO: Perfection Learning, 2008. 4-10. Print.

Article posted November 7, 2011 at 10:34 AM • comment • Reads 59 • see all articles