Copyright (c) 2014 by Allyssa H Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Allyssa H -- Blogmeister

Music Rocks! -

by Allyssa H teacher: Melanie Transue

Romeo and Juliet. What a timeless tale of star crossed lovers stricken with the horror of forbidden love. Who doesn’t know the tragic ending to such a popular story? I’m sure all of the song writers in the world know the story as well. It’s always used as an allusion in songs about love, but are they alluding to Romeo and Juliet affectively? Are the characters in the song the infamous Romeo and Juliet that we all have grown to know, or are the characters just a symbol for love in songs?

In the song “Not Good Enough for Truth in Cliché” by Escape the Fate, it refers to Juliet as the love one of the narrator. The story line of the song infers that the narrator, who can be assumed, is Romeo, kills Juliet by saying “Finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet.” It also says how the narrator cannot forgive themselves for killing Juliet by saying “This blood on my hands is something I cannot forget.” It infers the tragic ending of the actual novel Romeo and Juliet, but instead of Juliet killing herself by sword, this song depicts Romeo killing Juliet by gun.

The accuracy of the song “Not Good Enough for Truth in Cliché” by Escape the Fate is very little. It is true that Juliet dies in Romeo and Juliet because of Romeo, but Juliet kills herself, Romeo never kills Juliet. Also, because of the time period of the novel, Juliet’s death was by sword. The song is more modern and says that Juliet was killed by a gun which is inaccurate. Although the song is somewhat accurate, it is not completely accurate. The main idea of the novel is present in the song, but the details about the tragedy of Romeo and his love Juliet are incorrect.

The truth is revealed; the songs don’t always tell the tragedy of Romeo and Juliet the way it actually happened. Although the song may appear to be singing about Juliet and her love Romeo, it isn’t singing about the characters in the novel. They are characters of their own with their own individual stories, not the story Romeo and Juliet.

Lyrics were cited from: [LINK]

Article posted May 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM • comment (1) • Reads 142 • see all articles