Copyright (c) 2014 by Haley S Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Haley S -- Blogmeister

H-Dawg's Blog :D-

by Haley S teacher: Melanie Transue

Article posted May 22, 2012 at 01:47 PM GMT0 • comment (6) • Reads 239

May Free Write

WRITING ABOUT YOLO CAUSE YOLO

I YOLO. You YOLO. He, she, we YOLO. You only live once, they say. The phrase YOLO seems to have originated from modern musician, Drake. His song "The Motto" is all about "YOLO." This blog article will be dedicated to YOLO.

People say YOLO before or after they do something dumb. But hey, guess what! Riddle me this: if you realize that you only live once, and it is a concern of yours, WHY WOULD YOU DO ANYTHING TO JEOPARDIZE THAT ONLY LIFE YOU HAVE? It just doesn't make sense! I understand that you want to live it up and have a great time in life, but YOLO just doesn't work. Try the Latin phrase "carpe diem," meaning "seize the day." If nothine else, you sound intelligent saying it...until that becomes the new YOLO, that is.

Many people say it when they do dumb stuff. "I just drank four energy drinks. YOLO!" Or "I got in a fight with that guy! YOLO!" It's absolutley ridiculous. However, I won't lie. Sometimes, I do let slip a YOLO here and there. For example, at a social event at which people were asked to hold all clapping to the end, I clapped for my friends. I then proceded to say "BROKE THE NO-CLAP RULE! YOLO!" The difference is that I'm joking. My best friend even told me she was going to make a YOLO Jar. Every time I say it, I have to put in a quarter. So, I hope to be dropping the term from my vocabulary soon.

Now I conclude my speech on YOLOs and YOLOing. I'm guilty of it too. I'll drop it if you will. Go make a YOLO Jar. The world will be a better place.

Article posted May 9, 2012 at 02:00 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 63

Dear Freshmen,

I bet that sounds good. Freshman. You're finally officially in high school. Are you stoked for the pep rallies, and homecoming, better field days and talent shows? You certainly should be. Events like these are much better in high school! Anyway, I'm not writing to you to tell you all the fun you'll have, because I'm sure you know, high school will come with fun things and very not fun things.

Be successful. That's all I can say. This is where it REALLY starts to count. I mean, it counted all before, but this is where it really matters. Colleges look at grades starting in 9th grade. Start getting serious.

Befriend your teachers. Everything is better when you get along with them. Participate in Mr. Woolcock's labs. Have fun, but don't be dumb. He's a nice guy, but don't push him. Mrs. Farr is a very serious and hard working woman, but she is NOT mean in any sense of the word. She is one of the nicest people I know, so don't go into her classrom with any falsehoods in your head that she is anything but that. Her class is not hard to excel in. Just do your work. Don't eat Mr. Hein's food. Don't question or abuse his doll, his dead guy's head, rasta banana, or any of his other toys. DO ALL BLOGS for Miss Transue. When she asks a question open for the whole class to answer, and nobody answers, answer it. If you've already answered several, get the person next to you to answer it. If not, you'll most likely end up with an extra quiz or homework or something. You may or may not have the following teachers, but I will throw in a word of advice for them too, because I had them. Mrs. Host is one of the kindest, sweetest women ever. Do NOT take advantage of her. It took awhile for me to get used to Mr. Delano's methods of teaching. They differ from Mr. Rez's. You'll get used to it. He will make fun of you at some point in the year, I assure you this. He is joking and means well. Don't call him by his first name or any nick name other than Del. He doesn't take well to that kind of thing. If you're in band, you'll have Coop. Mr. Cooper is a very fun guy. He may seem a little strict, but he isn't. Just don't be dumb. Make sure you at least know how to play a scale. Put forth effort and GO TO SECTIONALS. Apply this to all of your teachers: if you don't like them, don't associate with them any more than necessary, and certainly do not aggravate them.

Start getting serious, pay mind to your grades, and get to know your teachers. I also suggest you get involved with a sport, club or activity of some sort. They just make it a little more fun. Participate in spirit week and stuff. High school comes with a lot of junk that REALLY sucks, so I suggest you have a good time with the "fun" parts of it. Have a great year, and I wish the best to you,

Freshy!

P.S. Freshman are HIGHLY discriminated against by all upper classmen. Just get used to it. It isn't changing. In a year, you'll be doing the same thing to the Class of 2017!

Have a good year, make it worth it!

-Haley

Article posted May 4, 2012 at 02:22 PM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 82

Romeo and Juliet: The Killers

Who do you consider to be the most famous couple ever? No, not any of those Jersey Shore couples or Disney princes and princesses. The couple that wasn't allowed to be together, but broke the rules to do it: Romeo and Juliet. There is a lot of pop culture that refers to this great tale of those famous lovers. One of these is the song "Romeo and Juliet" by the Killers.

This song describes what Romeo and Juliet would be like in modern times. "A lovestruck Romeo sings the streets a serenade...He finds a streetlight and steps out of the shade/And says something like, 'You and me babe, how about it?'" This exerpt from the song shows how Romeo might ask Juliet to be his own in today's time. It shows them as any other teenagers with a romance going on.

This slightly differs from the real story. In the story, Juliet asked Romeo instead. Of course, when she asked, she spoke as they did in Shakespearean times. The song does represent the love and how they felt for each other well though. The song says, "I can't do everything but I'd do anything for you / Can't do anything except be in love with you." Romeo and Juliet seemed to have a love as strong as this, and I believe these words would definitely apply to them.

Many songs and spoofs and modern movies were made based off of the classic tale of Romeo and Juliet. Some were rather accurate and some were not. This song, "Romeo and Juliet" by The Killers, was slightly inaccurate, mostly becasue it was in simpler, modern language, but hey, we can't all write like Shakespeare!

Article posted April 19, 2012 at 01:17 AM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 79

Clancy the Cat

April Free Write

Once upon a time, there was a kitty named Clancy. Not only was he very plain and gray, aside from his white booted feet, Clancy was also the runt of his litter. His brothers and sisters all took advantage of his being so little and scrawny. Clancy had it rough.

Additionally, Clancy was always last. He was last to eat supper, last to get picked in all the kitty games, and of course, last to be adopted. One day, when Clancy noticed that he didn't have to be last for supper, he realized the reason why. Everyone else had been taken home by little human girls and boys!

"Why?" Clancy wondered to himself. "I'm a good kitty cat! I always let the humans pet me even when they take one of my siblings away instead of me. I always keep my fur soft and clean, since Mama never did that for me. And I NEVER fight with other kitties, or even the puppies, who are REALLY annoying. Why am I always last?" Clancy sat on his little gray haunches and hung his head desolately.

Clancy was tired of this. One Thursday, Clancy decided it was the last chance. "I'll give it one more day. Either someone adopts me today, or I'm running away!" He declared. Unfortunately, Clancy had picked the rainiest and yuckiest Thursday to be his last day. Nobody showed up at all, except the humans who fill the supper dish. Clancy gobbled all the food he could hold in his little tummy and kissed Mama, even though he figured she never really loved him. After that kiss, he ran. He sprinted and tried to jump the fence. He smacked his face on the fence and fell backwards. He picked himself up and turned around.

"Clancy! Where are you going?" Mama trotted over to her embarrassed child. Clancy attempted to hop the fence again, but had the same result as the first time. Mama's trot became a sprint. "Clancy Gregory!" She shouted. She grabbed him by the scruff before he could leap again.

"Let me go, Mama!" Clancy shouted through his tears.

"I will not! Why are you running away?"

"Because I hate my life, and everyone, and everything!"

Mama looked genuinely hurt. "Do you hate me?"

Clancy hesitated. "No, Mama, I don't hate you. I love you. But you don't love me..." he trailed off.

"Clancy!" Mama interjected. "I love you!" Clancy looked less than convinced. Mama licked off his tears and said, "Here. I'll prove it to you!" Mama meowed a wild meow. A few seconds passed, and nothing happened.

"Mama...?" Clancy asked.

Mama shushed him. Just then, a giraffe galloped to the fence beside them and picked up Mama by the scruff and slung her onto his back. He then did the same to Clancy. "Thanks Girard!" Mama shouted. "Now off we go!" Girard the giraffe carried Clancy the cat and his Mama, who loved him all along, as they galloped off into the sunset to spend the rest of their lives, then eight more, happily ever after!

Article posted March 20, 2012 at 01:02 AM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 53

March Freewrite

I'm sure you've read many cliche blogs about music, and this one isn't any different. This post, however, is more about the lyrics of songs. When one listens to music, they should take time to listen to not just the catchy melody, but also the lyrics. Songs can be just as insightful and intriguing as any other piece of literature.

One song that has (in my opinion) beautiful lyrics is "A Walk Through Hell" by Say Anything. This song always makes me happy. It is a song about a man who is so in love, he proclaims how he would truly do anything for this girl. The narrator tells of how he would climb mountains and slay beasts and, of course, walk through hell for her. He said "[I'd walk] Through hell for you. Let the torturing ensue. My soul is useless without you."

Another great song is "Anne Braden" by Flobots. This song tells about racism, ignorance, and lack of tolerance in our country in the past and present. It tells of a woman who saw hatred and racism and loathed it. In the song, a man asks her "Why is a nice, Southern lady makin' trouble for the governor?" She responds "I guess I'm not your type of lady, and I guess I'm not your type of Southerner. But before you call me traitor, well it's plain as just to say, I was a child in Mississippi, but I'm ashamed of it today."

The third song that I love which I will share with you is "What Sarah Said" by Death Cab For Cutie. This song provides a story of a man who is stuck in the waiting room of a hospital. He explains, "There's no comfort in a waiting room, just nervous pacing bracing for bad news." He tells about how he was told by a girl named Sarah that "love is watching someone die." These words make him think, and he asks "So who's going to watch you die?" This song is kind of sad. However, anybody who has been in a similar position, waiting in a hospital fearing the words the doctor will whisper to you, can relate and will love this song.

Next time you listen to the radio or your iPod, don't just sing along thoughtlessly. Listen to the words. Think about it. You may find that the song offers more than just a beat to dance to.

Do you remember how you used to spend your Saturday mornings when you were young? I do! If you are like me, then you spent them watching cartoons on Nickolodeon and Cartoon Network. Symbolism is a beautiful thing. I used characters from some of my favorite old cartoons to symbolize personality types.

Cartoons and Personality Traits

-Dexter (Dexter's Laboratory): Intelligent and slightly arrogant

-Chuckie Finster (Rugrats): Easily frightened, but takes risks and overcomes his fears for the good of others

-Helga Pataki (Hey Arnold!):  Acts evil and unnmerciful, but has a soft side...somewhere

-GIR (Invader Zim): Loyal, extremely fun, but lacks basic common sense

-Muriel (Courage the Cowardly Dog): Protective, loving, and motherly

-Dag (Angry Beavers): Immature and dramatic

-Cat (CatDog): Smart, clever, cunning, but ill tempered and frequently rude

-The Gromble (AAAHH!!! Real Monster): Heartless and mean

In conclusion, these characters symbolize these presonality types perfectly. So which of these characters are you like?

Historicism by Haley S and Jessica A

Try our slideshow creator at Animoto.

Historicism

A historicist would celebrate That 70's Show. One reason why they would celebrate this show is because the language used in it and the clothes and decor are much like that of the 70's. For example, in several episodes, characters may refer to the police as "the fuzz." This phrase was a very common one in the 70's. They also all wore flare pants. The whole house just screams the 70's.

Another reason why a historicist would celebrate That 70's Show is the interests of the teens. As many kids and teens were in the 70's, Eric, a main character, is in love with Star Wars. Many of them also love comic books, like kids of the 70's did. Also, though it is awful, the show exemplified teen drug use of the 70's, which is very accurate.

For reasons such as these, That 70's Show  would be celebrated by historicists.

Facebook Faux Pas

As Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz once said, "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking." Isn't that the truth. The matter about which I will be writing is Facebook. In fact, my last post to Facebook was that very quote. Of late, Facebook has been polluted with garbage that people feel necessary to post. It (along with other social networks and technology advancements) has caused a huge change in the average teen's vocabulary. Frankly, I am sick of it. Many people have grown extremely weary of the abundance of meaningless things people update to Facebook these days. Facebook is not a diary. Facebook is not a place to publicize your issues in hopes that you might feel better about yourself because of the number of fools who "like" your status. As a social network, Facebook's goal is to allow people to share and connect with other people and make friends. To tell you the truth, nobody cares if you're going to eat spaghetti, shower, then watch Jersey Shore. Nobody cares if you're spending the night at So-and-So's and it's gonna be soooooo muchhhhh funnnnn!

Which brings me to my next point. These days, people completely disregard basic grammar and spelling, especially on the internet. The use of slang in everyday conversation is rising rapidly. The vocabularies of people, particularly kids and teens, have regressed as technology has advanced. What if we someday get to a point where our language is so deluded that it can hardly be recognized?

Additionally, the language used on the internet these days it outrageous. Foul language should not be posted. Kids don't realize that people see your posts. Businesses and companies and maybe even colleges WILL check your Facebook for things you've posted. What if those questionable pictures you posted of that wild party last Friday night cost you your career? The illusion of privacy is just that: an illusion. The Scarecrow was very accurate. Please help rid the world of this, starting with such ridiculousness on Facebook. Don't post everything, and if you feel the need to, get a blog.