Copyright (c) 2014 by Haley T Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Haley T -- Blogmeister

October Free Write-

by Haley T teacher: Melanie Transue

Haley T

Sing It Out

A lot of love songs include the names "Romeo" and "Juliet", to symbolize the love they feel for someone. I think that they are just describing what they think Shakespeare's story, Romeo and Juliet is about; a pair of lovers who kill themselves just to be with eachother. That is only a breif desciription. The song "Love Story" by Taylor Swift, is basically the play of Romeo and Juliet, put into a song. Just without the tragic ending.

The song "Love Story" by Taylor Swift is about Taylor seeing a boy for the first time and falling in love, "We were both young when I first saw you."  Then in an instant, she has this dream of her being like Juliet and him being Romeo, "I close my eyes and the flashback starts I'm standing there on the balcony in summer air." Then she describes how she is at a party and he is there trying to make his way through the crowd to say hello, but little did she know, she thought he was Romeo and he was throwing pebbles, and then she heard her father "Stay away from Juliet" and she was really upset so she and him made a plan to meet up together.

The second verse is about her and the boy sneaking out to a garden, and keeping quiet so they dont get in trouble.  Then she describes again how he was he was Romeo and she was a scarlett letter, and how her daddy said to stay away from Juliet.   The song says Romeo meant everthing to her so she was begging him not to go. She wants Romeo to take her somewhere they can be alone, how she'll be waiting and all they have to do is runaway, and Romeo would be her prince and Juliet would be his princess, and how their relationship is a love story and all Romeo has to do is say yes. This verse describes how Romeo and Juliet were gonna make plans to get married. I guess Taylor thought that was too sudden and she just wanted to hang out with him first.

The bridge is about how Juliet wants Romeo to save her because everyone is trying to tell her how to feel.  In the story everyone tells Juliet how to feel and they tell her what to do and how to do it. "It's a love story baby just say yes." Juliet gets tired of waiting, wondering if he was ever coming around, her faith in him was fading. Execpt in the story, Juliet never doubts Romeo and his love for her.  Then the lyrics say she saw him on the outskirts of town, and says "Romeo save me I've been feeling so alone." She kept waiting for him but he never came, next thing she knows he was kneeling on the ground and he pulled out a dimond ring and he said "Marry me Juliet you'll never have to be alone I love you and that all I really know I talked to  your dad go pick out a white dress, it's a love story baby just say 'Yes.'"

In conclusion, Taylor decided to repeat the introduction. "We were both young when I first saw you." That is why I believe this song is similar in many ways, except for everyone dies in the play and in the song, everyone has a happily ever after. 

Thew

Article posted May 9, 2012 at 06:49 AM • comment • Reads 109 • see all articles