Copyright (c) 2014 by Leah O Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Leah O -- Blogmeister

Leah's page!

class 2015

by Leah O

teacher: Melanie Transue

Romeo <3 Juliet

Ahhhh. Young love. Love at first sight. Rebellion. Suicide for love. Deception. This is the story of Romeo and Juliet, the most famous Lovers in all of The Universe. So famous that people write songs about them. One song about Romeo and Juliet is "Love Story" by Taylor Swift. From the perspective of Juliet, the song is not accurate to the actual story, but a few parts.

Yes, the first line is correct. "We were both young when I first saw you." Juliet was only fourteen when she met Romeo, and the song goes on to describing a party where Romeo confronts her. This actually happens in the story. The next stanza isn't so accurate.  "That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles, and my daddy said stay away from Juliet." He actually didn’t throw pebbles. "So I sneak out to the garden to see you" Romeo snuck into her garden. "But you were everything to me, I was begging you, "Please don't go"", Juliet actually did beg him to stay in her room.

In the end of the song Juliet and Romeo get married. Romeo says that he talked to her dad go pick out a white dress. This isn't what happened at all. Romeo didn't talk to her dad; he married her behind his back. She never picked out a white dress; she didn't even have a real wedding. Really the end of this song is so inaccurate because it is happy and the end of the book is death and sad.

Few Romeo and Juliet references are actually like the real Romeo and Juliet. Mostly, they are used to describe a young, passionate, and romantic relationship. The song "Love Story" is a good example of one of these songs.

To:               My Dear Freshy:

From:                   Leah Joy

Congratulations for passing eighth grade! Was it fun? Well, Welcome to ninth grade! The most exiting grade on Earth!(not) Your going to need some major skills to make it through this grade. I’ll give you some tips.

One thing is your locker. Your not going to get the most ninth grade with who-knows-what stuffed in the bottom of your locker. My locker was a mess all year and now I regret not cleaning it because I could've been more organized and gotten better grades.

Another thing is, you have to deal with the teachers. Some teachers don't teach effectively, some are grouchy, some have bad spots: but everyone knows that. You don't have to go around hating on all them. It will only make your year miserable and make them hate you even more.

If you are in band and chorus, like me, it's hard. Expecially when you have to miss classes like geometry and stuff. I don't have much advise on this, because I haven't quite mastered it yet. All I can say is good luck.

Take the classes you are good at and want to pursure. If you take classes you like and want to learn, you'll find yourself acually learning. If not, then it might be kind of  hard.

Stay away from the drama. Drama is bad. It makes you sad.

Most people write about how you have to do your homework to pass. I disagree. If you have Mr. Delano for geometry, it's not required to do your homework. I never did homework in that class and passes fine! Blogging in a pain in the butt, but if you don' t do it, you won't have such a good grade.

Don't be surprised when people leave. It's just the way it goes. You really find out who the real friend are in your life. You know who they are because they stick by  you, when the not-so-pure friend leave when one little thing happens.

Now you know how to get through ninth grade. Oh, one more thing. HAVE FUN!!!:D

From , Leah Joy

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 03:02 PM GMT0 • comment (4) • Reads 33

Summer Time: May Freewrite

Are you exited for summer? You can’t wait to get away from school, teachers, homework. Ready to enjoy relaxing, warm weather, and free time? I know exactly how you feel. Now there is only about ten days left of school. Suspension is building. This is going to be a really exiting summer for me.

This summer I am going on a mission’s trip to Maine a week after school ends. I will be working in a children’s camp helping out with the kids.  Then I am going to Michigan with my friend for her family gathering. I am also to Kingdom Bound, witch is a big event at an amusement park that has lots of different band concerts. Then I am going to TLC, a camp at a college that I am interested in. After, I am staying at the Harford Fair the whole week and showing my horses there. In Between everything I race in barrel shows all the time, like twice a week. Then down to Harrisburg for states, And this year I might be going to National barrel Horse Association(NBHA) for Worlds. That is in Virginia.

As you can see, my summer is filled up. What are you doing for summer? Is your summer as busy as mine?

Article posted March 28, 2012 at 03:04 AM GMT0 • comment (5) • Reads 33

March FreeWrite:The Problem With This...Homework Thing.

Think of something you spend time on on a daily basis. Did you think of homework? For my FreeWrite I chose to write about online homework. In the 21st century, with technology becoming more advanced and  popular, some teachers like to assign blogs on the internet. Though this may seem like a wonderful creative idea, it can be very inconveinient (and sometimes painful) for the students.

Firstly, not all students have access to a computer. While it may be assumed that EVERYONE has the internet, that is simply not true. With the absence of internet, they are told to do it during study halls. Some students don't have study halls. Also, when there are studyhalls, it's hard to do all the work because you have other things you have to get done. Sometimes there isn't even a computer. Since it's something everyone has to do, teachers should consider from everyone's position. This problem could be solved if the school provided ipads,but sadly we don't have that privilage.  

Another reason why online homework is not the best idea in the world is because, in my opinion, it is not the best way to learn. Typing a quick blog about anything on your mind doesn't really prepare us for class. I would learn more from reading or writing. Honestly, this blog stuff bores me to death. Then, you read other students attempt at a blog, and find that they tried almost as hard as you did. Which would be next to nothing. Blogging is something people do in their free time, not schoolwork. In short, I think the teachers have a little higher veiw of blogging then the students do. Of course, it just schoolwork and it doesn't really matter what they think. It's worth considering though since they are the ones that have to complete it.

Make a video of your own at Animoto.

My Literary theory is historicism. Historisism is looking at the historical aspects of a story. For example, reasearching the time period in which the story takes place, then knowing whether the story in historically acurrate or not.

One story that a historisist would celebrate would be The Diary of Anne Frank. This book was written by a Jewish girl in hiding from the Nazis. This book is historically acuarate because it is a true story. It acually was written by a girl who didnt know everyone would be reading it.

Also, a historicist would celebrate this book because it contains true information on what the Nazis would do to people in those times. All the things that happen in this book acually happened in real life.

In Conclusion, The Diary of Ann Frank is one book that Historicists would celebrate. It is historically accurate and contains information about those times.

Leah

Miss Transue

English 9

6 January 2012

Jim Nightshade

Do you know anyone who is so daring they would risk their families life? So curious that they would do anything to get a couple years older? So evil that they would ignore a friend for a little temptation? In the novel “Something Wicked This Way Comes”, by Ray Bradbury, one of the main characters, Jim Nightshade, is daring, curious, and evil.

From the very beginning of this book Jim acts like a very daring person. He cannot stand boring things and insists on making them interesting. For example, when the lightning rod salesman comes and puts a lightning rod on his house. The salesman, Tom Furry, said “Hammer it high or your dead come dawn!” (Bradbury 10) But Jim thinks about taking it down a lot. He doesn’t care if he will get stuck by lightning.  Another way that Jim is daring is in chapter 11 when Jim takes off for the carnival at three in the morning. He doesn’t really care if Will wants to come with him. If will decide not to go, it would have been very dangerous. That is why Jim is so daring. Jim is also daring because he wanted to go in the mirror maze. Even though this was an evil attraction, he still went in it, soon to find out that it was not very fun.  On Page 68 it says “And Jim was there, half in, half out of the cold glass tides like someone abandoned on seashore when a close friend has gone far out, and there is wonder if he will ever come back. Jim stood as if he had not moved so muck as an eyelash in five minutes, staring, his mouth half-open, waiting for the next wave to come in and show him more.” This means that he was in the mirror maze. It was daring for him to do that because he just saw what Miss Foley went through in the mirror maze. Even though you may think that Jim changed throughout the story and he was no longer daring because of how quiet he was when Mr. Dark was hunting him down in the library in chapter 41.

Jim is very evil. In the very beginning the author describes him as being the dark haired one. (Chapter 1) He is also born on Halloween, which implies that he is evil. Jim always does the      opposite of what he is told. He loves to watch the theater in chapter 6. He is trying to get Will to go back to it, but Will doesn’t want to. Jim shows how he could not overcome the evil in the carnival like Will and his father could. In chapter 51, Jim jumps on the carousel, knowing that it was evil. But his longing to be older overruled his friendship and he gave in to the evil of the carnival. Mr. Dark told him that he would make him a carnival attraction by going on the carousel. Therefore, Jim knew he was becoming part of the carnival by going on the carousel. it didn’t really  bother him, so he was becoming the evil in the carnival. Some people may say that Jim was in a trance when he got on the carousel, therefore he didn’t realize it was evil. But Will started pulling him off, and Jim realized that Will was pulling him, and he still didn’t let go. This shows how Jim was truly evil when he was on the carousel.

Jim first shows how he is curious in chapter 6. This is the “Theater” scene. Will has the maturity to turn away but Jim just keeps watching. Jim also pushes Will to go back to the house and watch. He wants to see what will happen there. Jim is also curious when the carnival comes in chapter 11.”Hell. Why would a carnival play church music...For cri-yi, I’m froze, let’s go watch them set up!” (Bradbury 47) Jim wants to go to the carnival to see what it is all about and what the music is that is playing. Jim is curious in chapter 51 when he gets on the carousel. He just wants to be a couple years older. That is one of the reasons that Jim got on the carousel. Jim is not curious when he and Will are looking at the sign for the carnival. Will is wondering why there would be a carnival after Labor Day when Jim doesn’t care. But the only reason Jim doesn’t care is because he is so excited about going to the carnival. When the carnival is doesn’t even cross his mind, and Will is just too cautious. These are some examples of Jim being curious.

In conclusion, Jim is daring, curious, and evil. The carnival came and Will changed a lot, but Jim didn’t. Do you think that Will and Jim’s relationship got better or worse toward the end of the book?  

In the last part of Something Wicked This Way Comes, the young Mr. Dark was trying to trick Mr. Halloway into following him.

Where do you think Jed was trying to get Mr. Halloway to go? Why was he trying to get him to follow?

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 12:24 AM GMT0 • comment (2) • Reads 51

In the second part of Something Wicked this Way Comes, One question that I had was

Why did Mrs. Foley want to go onto the Carosel and be younger? Did she know it would make her younger?

While I was reading the book Something Wicked This Way Comes, I had a few minor questions. For example, Why did Charels Halloway not tell his wife and son about the Most Beautiful Woman in the World?