Copyright (c) 2014 by Mary A Conditions of Use    Privacy Policy Return to Blogmeister
Mary A -- Blogmeister

6A

What an amazing journey we are on, discovering all the ways technology can help us to learn more, share more, and become more. There is something new and exciting around every bend.

by Mary A

teacher: Mrs. Ruffing

Article posted April 16, 2013 at 03:23 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 91

My class recently did a roller coaster project on Newton's Laws of Motion.  We had to draw a working roller coaster and find out what goes with making roller coasters.  Newton's first law says that an object in motion stays in motion unless acted on by an outside force.  It  also says the same thing about an object at rest.  His second law says he acceleration of an object depends on the mass of an object and the size of the net force applied.  His third law says that when a force is applied to an object, the object exerts the same force in the opposite direction. 

I was in a group of four people.  Everybody had their own role in the project.  There was the lawyer who needed to find some roller coaster laws and some recent lawsuits or accidents.  There was the design engineer  who had to find out what roller coasters are made out of and how they make a roller coaster.  There was the physicist who had to find out how physics and Newton's Laws went into building the roller coaster.  The last role was the historian who was in charge of finding out the history of roller coasters.  I was the historian and I found out that the first roller coaster was an ice slide in Russia that was about 70 feet tall.

This roller coaster worked because i successfully changed the potential energy into kinetic energy.  I also made sure there was enough friction to stop it successfully.   

This roller coaster failed because there was too much energy at the end.  It went right through the finish and crashed.  The velocity made it speed past the finish.   My group chose to call our roller coaster The School Project.  We drew it so the carts would be pencils and the track is a ruler.  If you want to make your own roller  coaster then click here.

I go to a school in eastern Pennsylvania which has grades Kindergarten through eighth grade.  It was founded in 1963 and established by Reverend Joseph McShea who chose Father Harry Hynes to be its first pastor.  

I am very proud of my school because it has knowledgeable teachers and eager students.  I think our school does very well on a math program called First in Math where all of the students participate in a variety of math games.  This school is special to me because I have great friends and I get a great education.

These are some great things about my school and I hope everyone gets a great education.  

During this school year our students in grades 2 through 8 completed the President's Fitness Challenge.  We took part in a variety of physical endurance tests.  The sixth grade students charted the results for each event and grade.  Here are the results of the Curl Up for grade 2.  As you can see from the chart below, 10 or 29.4% of the students achieved Presidential Level, 15 or 44.1% of the students achieved National Level, and 9 or 26.4% of the second graders were at Participant Level.

Description of the Event 

Qualifying Scores 

Hurricane Sandy started out as a tropical wave in the Caribbean on October 19.  It quickly became a tropical depression and then a tropical storm in 6 hours.  It was officially a hurricane on October24 when its wind speed reached 74mph.  It eventually became a category 2 when it gained strength over open water.  It was a category 1 while it swept across the Bahamas.  When it came to the United States it was still a category 1.  If you would like to learn more click here.

During the storm my family was lucky and did not lose power.  My street's power did not go out because our power lines are underground.  I was off from school the whole week.  Some of my friends lost power.  My grandparents lost power and it came back just in time for Halloween.  My aunt and uncle lost power and we had to keep their food frozen.  When I watched the news all I saw was of New Jersey and New York.  I think that they were hit badly.

I think that this hurricane was really bad and that people got severely injured.  I will always remember the week we had off.  I think my brother was really happy about it too.

Wikipedia

downed tree by Vicpeters under CC liscense

My class watched a video of a kid who says he is not good at anything.  In the video he would never draw anything in class.  The teacher influenced him and he drew a dot.  then he influnced another little kid to draw.  I learned that you can do anything if you try.  If you would like to see the full size of my glog click here.

My class had to make a Glog about the biome given to them.  My group had the Taiga.  I was in charge of the plant life.  I will remember that it is full of trees and it has a very cold climate.  My teacher set up a wiki page to organize our information.  It was really helpful.  To see my Glog full size click here.

This year in Health class I learned all about the negative effects of tobacco products and cigarrettes.  I made this poster to encourage people to stop or don't even start smoking.  Even if it is difficult to stop try, because if you don't your life may get shorter.  If you don't you could get Bronchitis or your eyesight might get really bad.  If you see this poster you should try your best to remember it when you are tempted to use tobacco products.  If you would like to see a full size image of this poster click on the smaller version.

Here is my paragraph about the energy conservation project.  I learned that saving energy is important.  we should really try more to conserve energy.  I learned that you can save energy by doing simple things.  You can save energy by  using less water and electricity.  I loved doing this project and you should try it too. To get more information click here 

image Credit

Hydroelectric waterfall by grendelkhan

Article posted September 26, 2011 at 07:08 PM GMT0 • comment (1) • Reads 76

1. I love to pitch.

2. I like to go camping.

3. I have 7 siblings.

4. I like to eat pizza.

5. My favorite candy is peppermint patties.

6. I love pretzels.

7. I love to be outside.