Hook 'em horns Grizzly-

7th grade was a fantastic year. I accomplished so many projects I cannot count. One of my biggest accomplishments was the World History Fair. This project as well as others brought up my biggest problem, procrastination. It was not fun trying to finish any project on the night before it was due.  That was a huge teaching point for me. Other than that I would not change anything. Life is supposed to have hiccups because you can only learn from them. Hopefully though, I can reduce my hiccups in eighth grade by fixing my procrastination. I can’t wait to see what eighth grade has in store for me. If it is anything like seventh grade, it will be a fantastic year.

Advice: Try not to get stressed out over anything. It will be alright no matter how bad things look. TIP: DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. It will make your life so much easier and reduce your stress levels. Have a great year!

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

International Towne was a pretty good experience overall. If I could change one thing about International Towne it would be the size. I was honestly a little disappointed about how small the facility was. I imagined the place to be a bit bigger and less condensed and crowded.  I even feel like Young AmeriTowne was bigger. But, enough of the negativity, the trip was pretty good. I learned how countries can become interdependent. My country relied on other countries citizens to buy our products so we could succeed. Another example of interdependence is trading. One country relies on another to give it a resource to sell or help produce a product. Without its shipment, the country that needed it would be sunk. For me the best part of International Towne was being able to travel around and buy souvenirs. I got a souvenir or product from every region. It was pretty cool to see all the countries’ goods and services. I especially liked the slushies from Mexico.  Overall, International Towne was a good time and experience.

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 01:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

How did Leonardo da Vinci’s Helical Air Screw impact further flight designs?—Guiding Question

Leonardo da Vinci’s Helical Air Screw was the building block for further helicopter designs. Many inventors took his idea and ran with it. They believed his overall concept was good, but his mechanism did not create enough force or torque to actually fly. Many prototypes were created but the engine was finally the answer. Without Leonardo da Vinci’s Helical Air Screw the world would have no helicopters. Leonardo was an insane genius. I re-learned this through the creation of my 3-D model. I do not know how Leonardo was able to keep his fabric upright. I had to use starch and I do not think he had clothing starch to keep his linen rigid. Plus, I am puzzled how he made the swirl increase in diameter. My dad and I spent countless minutes trying to recreate it but eventually had to settle with creating a look alike. The most interesting part was making my 3-D model. It took a lot of thinking, paper designs, and hot glue to create what I did. Overall, it was a good project and I think I did well.

Oh the things history has to teach us. I think that I really got to see and learn a part of history this World History Fair. I learned how important gold and salt were to ancient Ghana. Without these two resources, Ghana could’ve crumbled having no way to trade or create the foods that they did. Ghana even had guards to protect its trading routes to protect the gold and salt. From Alec I learned how the Punic War was ended. As Rome was about to lose the war, there was the battle of Carthage.  The Romans were able to get a leg up by using elephants as war machines and transportation. Rome ended up winning the battle and eventually winning the war. Of all the projects that I saw, these two were well done and I was able to remember them the best. I also do recall snippets about Athena, Aqueducts, and The Roman Colosseum.

“Seedfolks” was a pretty good book. The format was unlike anything I had ever seen before. I thought it was very cool how the author was able to tie all the characters together even when he was switching them constantly. Speaking of characters, my favorite was Kim. She was the one who started the garden. Against all odds, she was able to bring people from different backgrounds to the garden slowly but surely. I really think the big idea was that know no matter who you are or what you do, we can all put aside our differences to complete a common goal. In this case the common goal was maintaining a garden.I was able to do two activities relating to the book. The first was planting tomato seeds with Mrs. Kosters. It was pretty cool because the experiment is for the

Canadian Space Program. I also did an activity with Mrs. Lubich. I got to paint a rock to make some scenery. I honestly do not know how it tied into "Seedfolks" except that there are rocks in gardens. My favorite (and final) activity correlating with the book was Mr. Howard’s can flower making. It was really fun to make flowers with recycled materials. But, I just thought of something that actually does relate to the book itself. After the garden was said and done, It was really cool to see all the colors and different cans that make up the flowers that make up the garden. This is kind of how all the different people with different ethnicities came together to make something beautiful.  In both scenarios the beautiful thing was a garden. I started out not liking “Seedfolks” but now I am really getting the concept and enjoying it.

My project was the helical air screw created by Leonardo da Vinci. Along with all the research I found on why he built it, dimensions and materials, when, and where, I also learned how he impacted flight. His design was a screw that would run off of spin power. Unlike helicopters today, Leonardo’s was powered by man. Later inventors of the helicopter liked his idea of the spinning top that can cut through the air, but they did not think his machine had enough power. That is why other designers later used engines to create enough force. Without Leonardo’s initial idea no one would have known how to make a helicopter. The helical air screw was the foundation for helicopters to come.

Honestly I am not ready. I am taking this weekend to get going. I have my final plan for everything I just need to write it and create. Unfortunately my procrastination has struck again. But I do feel that I will be able to pull it all together and have a great project. All this time has given me a chance to think about all my answers to questions. Overall, I think I can do it!  

When will it come?

I ordered it five years ago

It seems the mail has lost it

In its vast number of items

I want it so badly

I think I am going to cry

Oh wait, I like those

I am going to order them

But wait, didn’t my last package get lost

Maybe I should go to the mall

Or maybe use a new mail service

I honestly don’t know

Oi this is making my head hurt

The recent chicken wing experiment was one of my favorite experiments ever. I have always liked to dissect things, and this time was no different. It was tough going at the very beginning trying to cut off the skin in order to be able to dissect inside. From there my group was able to find out all the muscles that were in the wing. The most fun part came next. On the very left of the wing there was a muscle that seemed pretty large. We found out that when you squeeze that muscle the whole wing will straighten out. It was incredible to see that muscles still work even when their host is dead. My group also found out that bone marrow has the consistency of styrofoam and when you eat a chicken wing, you are actually eating chicken muscle.

Me, Myself, and I

I am a bag of trail mix

Including a medley of foods, cultures, and ideas

I am a traveler

Abiding in others’ homes along my journey

I am a shark

Waiting for my next meal

I am a book

With only a few pages written

I am a lion

Anticipating what may come next

I am a disciple

Falling short at my masters feet

I am who I am

And nothing can change that

It is truly appalling to me that humans would do that to one another. That situation must’ve taken a lot of courage to get through.  I cannot imagine having to go through something like that that every single day. Having a mob yell at you just for going to school had to have been scary. Receiving death threats and hearing all the discrimination was probably extremely difficult to deal with. Placed in the situation, I honestly don’t know what I would’ve done.  I don’t know if I would’ve had the courage to fight on. Granted, we all have a little courage, but none of us have the courage that was possessed by The Little Rock Nine. Every day of their life was a battle. And yet, they did not hate others for it, but merely accepted it and kept trudging forward.

There is still some discrimination today with people from the Middle East. Most people think of them as terrorists when really, not a lot of them are. I honestly think a person is a person no matter how different they are or even where they come from.

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 01:06 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard”—Tim Tebow

--From the book Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow and Nathan Whitaker

Hard Work

So what?

You think you got talent?

Let me tell you something

Having talent doesn’t mean you are good

Especially if you slack off

No matter what you do, work hard

With hard work you will get to the next level

Talent alone will NOT get you there

When you give 100% you will eventually gain some talent

People will notice you are eager to get better

Even if you are not the best, people will notice you

They’ll know you are eager to get better

And give everything you have

Science is one of my favorite subjects (math is the other). The cells and microbiology unit has been another example of this. Part of my love is the labs I get to do. So far we have done a ton of labs, with the most memorable being the protists lab.  I actually got to look at live organisms under a microscope. That was my first time being able to look living organisms up close and in detail. Plus, I have learned a lot about how cells work and the parts of them. Through this I have increased my knowledge of prefixes and root words as well as why certain things happen the way they do in cells. I also learned why viruses can be so potent. They feed off of other cells and use them to multiply themselves. Cells are what make up you and me. We should know what makes them thrive and be deprived so we can keep ourselves healthy.   

Article posted February 17, 2012 at 01:44 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

The Super Bowl

On February 6th

Toward the time of noon

Without any competition

In homes

Around the nation and other places

Despite unpopularity

From every person’s television set

Inside every warming home

Among the many traditions

Near this time of year

Across all the stations

Over the time

Of three elongated hours

Within, a joyous show

Like that

From above

Atop the priority lists

I just finished reading The Hunger Games series. It was by far one of my favorite book series. It takes place in the future on the continent of Panem (North America). It is a sci-fi sort of book. One of the reasons I enjoyed the series was the mix of topics. It included romance, suspense, betrayal, mystery, and action. The author, Suzanne Collins, mixed everything perfectly in all three books, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay. I am about to start The Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie. I am looking forward to a good mystery.

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

Super Bowl Sunday. It is one of the most anticipated days in America. This year the giants and Patriots will be squaring off.  Not only is this a huge day for sports, it’s a huge day for the media. Everyone will be watching, so companies will want to get their advertisements out there. If you are like me you can’t wait “lol” at these epic commercials. Also, you might want a specific team to win. Personally, I want the G-Men, Big Blue, or most commonly known as the Giants to win! Comment on this post to tell me who you want to win or the commercials you cannot wait to see.  

Article posted January 30, 2012 at 01:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Poetry can have such an effect on people. They can have serious meanings or whimsical topics. Poets use many different tools and techniques to convey their message. They utilize so many literary devices in their works. Many poems have a rhyme scheme which will vary from poem to poem. Limericks will always have a pattern of “a,a,b,b,a” making them funny most of the time. Many funny poems will use alliteration to make some words sound fun to say. In Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out, Shel Silverstein writes “black burned buttered toast” which makes me laugh. Loads of poems make use of repetition to emphasize a point in their work. The Charge of the Light Brigade repeats ““Forward the Light Brigade!”” to emphasize what the six hundred were doing.  Plus, there are different types of poems that use different shapes and rhyme patterns depending on the seriousness of the poem. Some serious poems will have a basic rhythm and rhyme so it is easier to pick up the point of the poem. A concrete poem has a shape to it, depending on the topic, to make it fun to read. Writers have so many choices when it comes to writing poetry and so many ways to make a point.

Article posted January 20, 2012 at 02:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

"Believe you can and you're halfway there." Theodore Roosevelt

This quote really means a lot to me. I interpret this quote as meaning that you need to believe in yourself. If you don’t even think you can do something, you are only giving half effort.  In some scenarios I have not believed in myself before a task and most of the time I failed. But, after a little motivation from a friend, I thought I could do it and I did! So now I know that even a little self confidence can go a long way in helping you succeed. I will start believing I can do things that might be difficult and maybe things will turn out. This philosophy can be used to brighten anyone’s mood. If you think you can more things can be accomplished. Whether it is a toddler believing they can walk or an athlete thinking he can break a record, anyone can apply this mentality to themselves. Eventually, the world will be impacted. If one person can do something then another can and another and another until everyone can get things done. Think of the possibilities that can come out of accomplishing things! The possibilities are endless! I know that it starts with me, thinking I can do it.   

Article posted January 13, 2012 at 03:36 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

2011 was a year chalk full of memories. But, it is a new-year with just as many memories to occur. In order to have an even better year I have put in place some goals. First, I NEED to stop procrastinating. I have set this goal before and have not really achieved it. I know this is the year I need to change because the older I get, the harder procrastination will make my life. This will help me get more sleep and do my best on school work. Second, I need to be kind even when it is hard to. I sometimes catch myself not taking an opportunity to make someone smile when I could. It is a lot harder to do the right thing when with friends. You just want to be neutral and not do anything because you think you are preoccupied. Being in Rachel’s Challenge has really made me want to be a better person and impact the world one person at a time. I can’t wait to see what 2012 has in store.

This Wiki project was definitely difficult. I do think I did a good job though. The hardest part was communication. You know that you had posted something, but you don’t know if your partners have seen it. The only way to know was a reply. It is also difficult not knowing if our partners are working or not. If I could change one thing it would to give a little more time to finalize our projects. My advice would be to make the due date the same. It is kind of confusing to have different due dates. I personally, would try to communicate a little bit more with my teammates. This way we can plan things out and not let it become hectic. Overall, this project was a good challenge. I enjoyed this wiki very much.

Article posted December 12, 2011 at 03:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Greece is an extraordinary c0untry chalk full of culture and history. One of the traditions I know of is their belief in their Gods. Greeks had many Gods and legends. They believed that anything that happened was a result of the Gods. If they pleased their Gods by making a sacrifice or other offering, they believed good things would happen. On the other hand though, if their work was not up to standards, bad things would happen. Greek mythology made the Greeks who they were and it made a place for them in history. I have the pleasure of studying them.

In humanities, I am doing a Greek simulation. My class is working together in five of the most powerful and historic poleis to gain points for our city-state.  These points are earned through fate and events. Whichever polis has the most points at the end of the simulation will reign victorious. Each polis has unique characteristics that may or may not be helpful in certain events. I am in Athens, a polis known for its intellectual skill and arts. The battle of the city-states is on and everyone will do anything to win.

I can’t believe how fast this semester has gone. It is also incredible how much I learned. Although I did some work, I must give credit to my outstanding teachers. Whenever I have had a question they have always been there to answer it. Plus, my classes are not even close to boring. No matter what class it is, my teachers always have something fun planned besides just reading a textbook. This has really helped me grow as a student and a person. Once again, THANK YOU to all my teachers who have helped me through this semester.

Article posted November 29, 2011 at 12:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

In my life I am so blessed. Although I can’t count all the blessings bestowed upon me, I have a few favorites. I can’t thank anyone or anything enough for these things. My family is definitely one of them. They have always been by my side to help me out. My sister has influenced me in so many ways. My parents have led me in the right direction for as long as I can remember.  I am also thankful for the sports I play. They give me a chance to express any feelings I have. Plus, sports can keep me in shape. This helps me in my everyday life. Finally, I am thankful for my church. It gives me a chance to learn more about myself. Plus, I learn so much about how my God helps me and how he blesses me in everyday life. My church gives me a chance to learn, reflect, and be myself. I cannot comprehend how much I am blessed and I cannot give enough appreciation and thanks for all of it.

Article posted November 14, 2011 at 12:28 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 37

The best mystery I have ever read was “The Speckled Band”. This mystery kept me guessing until the very end. Plus, Sherlock Holmes is one my favorite characters. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did an explicit job of giving away evidence. The truth is though; I think Sherlock was the only one who picked up on these clues. It was astounding how Sir Arthur’s character picked up on these clues. Plus, I learned new vocabulary and it was a fun read.

“Pump, pump, pump it up! Yeah, yeah, yeah!” rang my sister. It was just another boring day in suburbia. Every day it was like this: Carrie, my sister gets up, she blasts her lame music, and then wakes me up by singing along obnoxiously.

I quickly rushed downstairs to eat my breakfast. Half way through my strawberry pop tarts, I realized my parents weren’t here. I quickly became circumspect. Suddenly, I heard “Beware Adam Wychovsert, you have been  cursed!”

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 01:26 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

I have honestly enjoyed this blogging assignment. I have really enjoyed since I love to write but sometimes the actual writing can get boring. The typing is a nice break and a good way to express my thoughts. It has gone pretty smooth except for the fact that I have forgot to do some prompts and submitted them late. I think that an additional free writing prompt would be good. I know that I am not the only one that likes to create new stories. Overall, I hope this assignment will continue because I have loved it so much.

I think this is my best paragraph. Please comment on it if I need to make any corrections. Suggestions are certainly welcome. Thank you for all your help.

At the beginning of every man or woman’s career in the armed forces they take an oath.  That oath is an oath of sacrifice. They will, if they have to, give their life for their country. I honestly don’t know if I could make that kind of promise. Even if it was for something or someone I love. The thoughts that must be going through that man or woman’s head, at the time, must be thoughts of valiance. They are probably not even thinking about death but merely of service, duty, and honor. That is the true meaning of bravery.

Article posted October 20, 2011 at 01:06 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

I just read an article at http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/17/world/americas/central-america-floods/index.html .  It was about the torrential rain in Central America. The death toll is currently at 60 and the rain is not forecasted to let up. El Salvador has gotten the worst end of the storm, with a state of emergency and evacuation.  This to me is truly tragic. No country should have to deal with that kind of tragedy. Even though we can’t control Mother Nature, it is still sad. Hopefully the countries can keep strong and make it through the storm.This should make the countries even more wary and prepared for future storms.

Article posted October 17, 2011 at 12:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 48

I just finished reading The Son of Neptune. It is by Rick Riordan. Rick Riordan is the author of many other of my favorite series such as “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” and “The Kane Chronicles”. The Son of Neptune was superb was many reasons. First, it combined mystery, fiction, and fact perfectly. This combination made the book exciting and intriguing. Second, there was an immense amount of action. The characters fought a medley of Greek and Roman monsters. Finally, it was the continuation of my favorite series, “Percy Jackson and the Olympians”. “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” made me think that everything was ok but, The Lost Hero and The Son of Neptune provoked this thought. Overall, this book was a pleasure to read.

Football or soccer, that is the question. Honestly, I can't decide. Both are immensely fun and offer me great options. I have been playing soccer since I was four. Soccer has always offered me a way to get my mind off of things. Since I play goalie, I get to be more authoritative than usual. Football on the other hand, grasped my attention this year. In football I get to release any anger that I may have. Plus, I can channel any emotions that I may have. Overall both sports are absolutely astounding. If you asked me whether I liked football or soccer better, I'd say both.

Article posted September 30, 2011 at 03:16 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

I had a wonderful experience on the Fox Run Park field trip. My favorite part was definitely the camouflage station. We got to see some really cool pictures and play a very fun game.  The activities I enjoyed the most were the team building activities. They were a great chance to really get to know my friends better. Plus, they were really fun. I learned a lot about our upcoming science unit. The theme I understood from the activities was survival of the fittest. If an organism has any adaptations, then it will be more likely to survive. In the “food, water, shelter” game the ones who were fast got their food, water, or shelter first. Camouflage is another that adaptation will help organisms survive. If an animal can blend in, it is more likely to survive. I learned this at the camouflage station.  Overall, it was a fantastic field trip.

Article posted September 30, 2011 at 01:48 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

I think that books should not be banned. Even though it may seem bad I completely agree with one of the quotes in the video.  There are bad people and harsh realities in the world unfortunately. I think that books are an ok way to learn about them. Personally, I think books should be rated like movies. This way, people know the content of the book before they read it. I think this would be extremely helpful because you cannot just ban books. People love to read and I think freedom of speech plays an important role. I think if you can say what you want you should be able to publish what you want. Children are going to learn the bad things of life eventually, so why not in a book. This way they read and not actually experience it. Personally, I rather read about it then see or hear it.

Article posted September 23, 2011 at 04:19 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

Although this video was tricky to figure out, I finally got it. What happened was that they did not “carry over”. The easiest way for me to explain this is by addition. If you have a lot of numbers like they did you have to do something special when you add. First you add the ones column. If the sum is more than ten you carry the tens value over to the tens column. What they did wrong is that they counted what should’ve been tens as ones. Another set of numbers that could work is 4x16=28; this is not true because 16x4 really equals 64.

The scariest thing happened to me when I was visiting my dad in California and we decided to go to a local mission. The creepy thing is that I had recently watched La Purisma, the mission, air on an episode of "Ghost Adventures". When I got there I really did not expect anything to happen. When I walked outside of "haunted room" I went forward and then took a right. Immediately as I turned the corner I heard clear as day, a groan that sounded like muh! Quickly I checked my surroundings for someone, but no one was there. I sprinted back to my parents. It especially scared me since I was 10.

I truly feel that the Rachel's Challenge assembly was needed. It really made me think of how I can I be a better person. I don't think that I was the only person who was affected by this assembly. If we can all be little Rachels I honestly believe we can make a difference. Even if just a few people act in Rachel's footsteps, our school, community, and world will become better and safer places. I want to make a positive difference, just like Rachel.

Article posted August 30, 2011 at 09:21 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 38

 I used to have glasses.

 I have size ten feet.

 I want to go to University of Texas.

 I used to live in Virginia.

 I have two webbed toes on each foot.

 My favorite candy is Starbursts.

 I don’t like coffee.

My favorite sports are football and soccer.