7th grade was a fantastic year. I accomplished so many projects I cannot count. One of my biggest accomplishments was the World History Fair. This project as well as others brought up my biggest problem, procrastination. It was not fun trying to finish any project on the night before it was due.  That was a huge teaching point for me. Other than that I would not change anything. Life is supposed to have hiccups because you can only learn from them. Hopefully though, I can reduce my hiccups in eighth grade by fixing my procrastination. I can’t wait to see what eighth grade has in store for me. If it is anything like seventh grade, it will be a fantastic year.

Advice: Try not to get stressed out over anything. It will be alright no matter how bad things look. TIP: DO NOT PROCRASTINATE. It will make your life so much easier and reduce your stress levels. Have a great year!

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 67

International Towne was a pretty good experience overall. If I could change one thing about International Towne it would be the size. I was honestly a little disappointed about how small the facility was. I imagined the place to be a bit bigger and less condensed and crowded.  I even feel like Young AmeriTowne was bigger. But, enough of the negativity, the trip was pretty good. I learned how countries can become interdependent. My country relied on other countries citizens to buy our products so we could succeed. Another example of interdependence is trading. One country relies on another to give it a resource to sell or help produce a product. Without its shipment, the country that needed it would be sunk. For me the best part of International Towne was being able to travel around and buy souvenirs. I got a souvenir or product from every region. It was pretty cool to see all the countries’ goods and services. I especially liked the slushies from Mexico.  Overall, International Towne was a good time and experience.

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 01:43 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

How did Leonardo da Vinci’s Helical Air Screw impact further flight designs?—Guiding Question

Leonardo da Vinci’s Helical Air Screw was the building block for further helicopter designs. Many inventors took his idea and ran with it. They believed his overall concept was good, but his mechanism did not create enough force or torque to actually fly. Many prototypes were created but the engine was finally the answer. Without Leonardo da Vinci’s Helical Air Screw the world would have no helicopters. Leonardo was an insane genius. I re-learned this through the creation of my 3-D model. I do not know how Leonardo was able to keep his fabric upright. I had to use starch and I do not think he had clothing starch to keep his linen rigid. Plus, I am puzzled how he made the swirl increase in diameter. My dad and I spent countless minutes trying to recreate it but eventually had to settle with creating a look alike. The most interesting part was making my 3-D model. It took a lot of thinking, paper designs, and hot glue to create what I did. Overall, it was a good project and I think I did well.

Oh the things history has to teach us. I think that I really got to see and learn a part of history this World History Fair. I learned how important gold and salt were to ancient Ghana. Without these two resources, Ghana could’ve crumbled having no way to trade or create the foods that they did. Ghana even had guards to protect its trading routes to protect the gold and salt. From Alec I learned how the Punic War was ended. As Rome was about to lose the war, there was the battle of Carthage.  The Romans were able to get a leg up by using elephants as war machines and transportation. Rome ended up winning the battle and eventually winning the war. Of all the projects that I saw, these two were well done and I was able to remember them the best. I also do recall snippets about Athena, Aqueducts, and The Roman Colosseum.

“Seedfolks” was a pretty good book. The format was unlike anything I had ever seen before. I thought it was very cool how the author was able to tie all the characters together even when he was switching them constantly. Speaking of characters, my favorite was Kim. She was the one who started the garden. Against all odds, she was able to bring people from different backgrounds to the garden slowly but surely. I really think the big idea was that know no matter who you are or what you do, we can all put aside our differences to complete a common goal. In this case the common goal was maintaining a garden.I was able to do two activities relating to the book. The first was planting tomato seeds with Mrs. Kosters. It was pretty cool because the experiment is for the

Canadian Space Program. I also did an activity with Mrs. Lubich. I got to paint a rock to make some scenery. I honestly do not know how it tied into "Seedfolks" except that there are rocks in gardens. My favorite (and final) activity correlating with the book was Mr. Howard’s can flower making. It was really fun to make flowers with recycled materials. But, I just thought of something that actually does relate to the book itself. After the garden was said and done, It was really cool to see all the colors and different cans that make up the flowers that make up the garden. This is kind of how all the different people with different ethnicities came together to make something beautiful.  In both scenarios the beautiful thing was a garden. I started out not liking “Seedfolks” but now I am really getting the concept and enjoying it.

My project was the helical air screw created by Leonardo da Vinci. Along with all the research I found on why he built it, dimensions and materials, when, and where, I also learned how he impacted flight. His design was a screw that would run off of spin power. Unlike helicopters today, Leonardo’s was powered by man. Later inventors of the helicopter liked his idea of the spinning top that can cut through the air, but they did not think his machine had enough power. That is why other designers later used engines to create enough force. Without Leonardo’s initial idea no one would have known how to make a helicopter. The helical air screw was the foundation for helicopters to come.

Honestly I am not ready. I am taking this weekend to get going. I have my final plan for everything I just need to write it and create. Unfortunately my procrastination has struck again. But I do feel that I will be able to pull it all together and have a great project. All this time has given me a chance to think about all my answers to questions. Overall, I think I can do it!  

When will it come?

I ordered it five years ago

It seems the mail has lost it

In its vast number of items

I want it so badly

I think I am going to cry

Oh wait, I like those

I am going to order them

But wait, didn’t my last package get lost

Maybe I should go to the mall

Or maybe use a new mail service

I honestly don’t know

Oi this is making my head hurt

The recent chicken wing experiment was one of my favorite experiments ever. I have always liked to dissect things, and this time was no different. It was tough going at the very beginning trying to cut off the skin in order to be able to dissect inside. From there my group was able to find out all the muscles that were in the wing. The most fun part came next. On the very left of the wing there was a muscle that seemed pretty large. We found out that when you squeeze that muscle the whole wing will straighten out. It was incredible to see that muscles still work even when their host is dead. My group also found out that bone marrow has the consistency of styrofoam and when you eat a chicken wing, you are actually eating chicken muscle.

Me, Myself, and I

I am a bag of trail mix

Including a medley of foods, cultures, and ideas

I am a traveler

Abiding in others’ homes along my journey

I am a shark

Waiting for my next meal

I am a book

With only a few pages written

I am a lion

Anticipating what may come next

I am a disciple

Falling short at my masters feet

I am who I am

And nothing can change that

It is truly appalling to me that humans would do that to one another. That situation must’ve taken a lot of courage to get through.  I cannot imagine having to go through something like that that every single day. Having a mob yell at you just for going to school had to have been scary. Receiving death threats and hearing all the discrimination was probably extremely difficult to deal with. Placed in the situation, I honestly don’t know what I would’ve done.  I don’t know if I would’ve had the courage to fight on. Granted, we all have a little courage, but none of us have the courage that was possessed by The Little Rock Nine. Every day of their life was a battle. And yet, they did not hate others for it, but merely accepted it and kept trudging forward.

There is still some discrimination today with people from the Middle East. Most people think of them as terrorists when really, not a lot of them are. I honestly think a person is a person no matter how different they are or even where they come from.