Hi

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 03:39 AM GMT • comment • Reads 52

After reading part of the book, I think it’s about a community separated from each other, then later on joined together being friendly to one another. I like the two white people since they cared about the girl’s plant. The activities we did this year are a lot of fun. In drama, I planted a Marigold in a container of dirt and had a worm in it. So far, my worm had been pretty adventurous. Yesterday, I forgot to give my plant and worm water. That night, the worm crawled into the sink. The worm was safe the next morning. My dad had called it Freddy. In Language Arts, I painted a river on a rock. Originally, I was going to paint a part of nature, but I didn’t finish. Out of all the activities I did last week, the worm and the marigold was my favorite. To watch a flower grow and a worm move, it’s so cool to watch and touch a living creature.

Article posted May 4, 2012 at 03:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

Seed Folks is a fun formatted book it has a different point of view of all the people in the garden. I think the big picture is that a lonely and helpless community all come together to make a garden and makes the town a better place. My favorite activity was making tin flowers in Mr. Howard’s because it was fun making colorful flowers out of recycled things! The character I like the most is the little boy that guilds his grandpa around town keeping him from trouble and taking him to the garden every day. He has to guild his grandpa because he was grown up on a farm and speaks a different language, so he is lost and confused, I'm blanking on the boys name. In short I like the book and I'm exited to read the rest!

I think that the main idea of Seed Folks is that a community bonds together and conquers discrimination. My favorite character was Ana. I liked Ana because she watches everything outside of her window. I disliked Virgil's dad because he tried to get rich off of baby lettuce. I enjoyed the activities in science and in language arts. In science we are planting tomato seeds in cups and trying to make them grow. I planted four seeds in water beads. In language arts we painted rocks. I painted mine black white and purple. I liked the activities because they were simple and we didn't have to follow complex instructions.

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Well I already read "Seedfolk" on six grade and did a big project about it. But the format is boring, well to me. The big “idea” is the get the community to work together on something nice. I like all the characters there isn’t really one not to dislike. The activity are really fun, I missed the rock activity, but its fun growing tomatoes and making metal flowers. My favorite it growing the tomatoes in science, because we are going to work on in class till the end of the school year.

I think the format of this book is ok.  It can be boring at times and interesting at other times.  Seedfolk I think is about how people come together and make a community garden.  This tells me that people really can get along without knowing one another.   I like Ana because she doesn't stop trying to get the government to clean up all the trash in the lot.  I dislike Virgil's dad because he is always trying to do something for money and never to help the community.  In science we planted a S tomato seed and a T tomato seed, we are trying to determine which seeds are capable in going to space.  So far the T seed has sprouted and the S seed has not.  In Language Arts, I painted a bunch of colors on a rock.  I thought a lot of colors would look cool on a rock, however, I don't think it turned out very cool, to many colors.  My favorite activity was the tomato seeds in science.   

I didn’t really like the book Seedfolks. I didn’t like the book because it was so short and because of the format. It really bugs me when authors make chapters when only one person is talking. I also didn’t really care for any of the characters in the book. I think the big idea of the book is the people that live in the neighborhood coming together to plant in the garden, I think it also teaches us students to work together and see an example of people who didn't know eachother but then were great friends.. I think the activities we did in classes were really fun. In science, we planted tomatoe plants, I think that will help us with team work. In french class, we made colorful spirals, math we made flowers, and language arts we painted rocks. My favorite activity was painting the rocks because I made my own little pet rock.

To be honest, I havn't yet finished Seedfolk, but I have read enough to know kinda what it's about. A community of varius racial backgrounds comes together to grow a beautiful garden. I don't really have a favorite or least favorite character quite yet. As I read more I'm sure that will vary. The activities we did the past couple of weeks relating to Seedfolks have been quite interesting and fun. My favorite was when we made flowers out of recycled soda cans in Mr. Howards room. They all turned out really neat. Well I hope to complete the book soon. :)

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 03:05 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I've only read the first couple of chapters, so I can't really answer who my favorite character is. As for the format, it is original. I haven't read any books like it. It is fun to read something new. I think that this isn't a very productive format. Each chapter has to explain about the character first before explaining more about the story. Frankly, the origins of the characters shouldn't take up half the book. They could use some of that half to explain main characters, but some of it to describe the happenings. I like the activities that we are doing. My favorite is the tomato seed experiment. My group, since all the other groups were doing experiments in soil, chose to do our experiment with hydroponics. Growing plants with hydroponics means that you use just water to grow the plants. Since we didn't have a pump, we had to change out the water every day. We messed up trying to transfer the seeds one day, and we ruined our experiment. We tried again with the same results. After that, we pretty much gave up hydroponics.

Article posted April 25, 2012 at 12:38 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

My class started Seedfolks today. The first thing I noticed is the odd way the author switches viewpoints. It is a very interesting style. When our enrichment class read the book the only activity we did was discuss thougts on the story. I like the way we did that. Outside of enrichment we created flowers out of old cans (reusing), painted rocks (also reusing) and planted tomatoes (growing?).I like the first character, who started the whole garden. I believe that the big idea of this book is that a few people doing a few small things together can have a huge positive impact.

I think that this book conveyed a good message about how a community came together to do something they all enjoyed, but I thought the book was boring and found the format hard to follow. I really didn't have a specific character that I liked or disliked. My favorite activity would probably be Mr. Howard's flowers because they were recycled and they were really pretty, and it was really fun!

Seed Folks was a good book and I thought the format was different and I liked it because you got a different perspective from everyone. I like all the characters and I think the big idea is how one little change can make a big difference and bring a lot of people together even when you dont know eachother. I thought the activities were fun and I liked making flowers the best it took away math time. Hehe.

Seedfolks is really boring ao far. Our class has only read 2 chapters though, so, I hope it gets better, I really hope. My least favorite character is the old lady that spies on the little girl. She is such a creeper. I mean, who just goes and digs up someones garden? And then, she buys binoculars to see her better. That old lady is really weird. My favorite activity was making the flowers and butterflies out of soda cans. It was super fun and creative.

I haven't really got that into the book yet, but so far I like it. I enjoy how they switch off point of views throughout each chapter. I think the basic storyline is that even though people live different lifes and have different cultures, a little thing such as a garden can bring a communtiy together. The one little girl starts a chain reaction and has the whole community join in on this garden. My favorite activity this week was making flowers in Mr. Howards class. I liked this activity because the flowers turned out really pretty and cool looking. I learned a lot about nature this week. It was really fun.

I haven’t really been able to read the book a lot so I still have not finished it yet, I am about half way done and it is really good. I like how the book is different than most, like when they switch to a different character every chapter to get each other’s point of view of the community/garden. I think it is mainly about a community who can come together by something such as a garden, and what the little things in life can do. My favorite character so far is the little girl who had started the garden. My favorite activity would probably be the rock painting because it was fun to express our own style, the other activities didn’t really do that but they were also fun.

Ok, so I will admit that I haven’t even finished the book yet, but I know its going to be good because I read the book Party and it didn’t let me down, and it was written in the same style as Seedfolks.  Seedfolks, for those of you who have no idea what it’s about, is about this girl with a broken home who starts a garden in an abandoned and trashed lot. As the girl does this, she has no idea that there are others watching her and soon pitching in. so it’s from everyone of the people’s perspectives, but they all tie into the garden that the girl had started, later on to have it grow into something beautiful, which changes a trashed and abandoned lot into something amazing. Party does the same thing, show everyone’s personal points of view, but it’s not a garden that ties them together, it’s a party. It’s about high school kids, so I expected no less. ( taught me many things though about right and wrong and big things about drugs and alcohol and other things that could turn my life upside down. Great life lessons to be learned through that book.) as for the activities we did for Seedfolks, I have to say they were fun. ( just would have prefered doing more things that didn’t make my cat want to eat them. such as the plant activity with my choir class. My darling kitten, Asia, ate the worm and the plant. =_=) but they were fun and really good. The “big idea” of the story I would have to say would be ( again haven’t finished the book.) that just something so simple can make everyone’s life better, fun and even turn something beautiful. And my fave character as of yet? That’s a tough one because I haven’t met all of them yet. But I would have to say it would be the kid with the uncle who doesn’t speak English and no one can understand what he says because he speaks a different language than his family and everyone else. I like this character because he’s spunky, and gets a smart attitude that makes you hate him so much that you love him. ( I know, weird right?!) my fave activity was probably the music one in my band class because it was fun to try and guess which songs went with which country and person. ( even if I missed a ton of them! XD)  

I am about halfway through the book. I think that the main idea of the book is that people from around the world come together to make a difference in the environment. I have done all of the class activities. My favorite would have to been painting my pet rock. Or as my family calls them: people watchers. During the flower making activity I had a huge migraine so that's why I wasn't so thrilled with that one. But overall I think that the activates are fun, and seed folks is a good book.

Article posted May 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I am not sure what you mean by what do I think about the format so far. I think the “big idea” of the story is about a garden where a whole bunch of people from different cultures go to and connect with the other people. I have liked all the characters because all of them have a different story to tell.

The activities I did in various classes I did were cool, there were two that I like a lot. The two that I liked were making the virtual quilt and planting a marigold. They were my favorites because I got to experience what it would be like to be a gardener and got to find picture on the internet to make the quilt.

The format is very strange I think. I have never read a book like Seedfolk before! I think the author of Seedfolk was trying to show a community can come together over the simplest things. I LOVE Ana!! She is sooo sweet! I felt terrible that she was born after he dad died! My favorite activity was painting the dinosaur eggs!! I love to paint. And also I was hyper that day so it was even more fun! It was the best hands down!!

I really liked the book! I finished it the day we got it. I think it’s a little short and we should have gotten a longer book for the all-school read, but, it was a pretty sweet book. It’s about a little community, who’s been through rough times, but then a little girl plants some Lima beans in an abandoned lot, and somehow that ties the community together. It ends up with a big garden and a happy ending and yadda yadda. I sort of liked all the characters; I don’t really have a favorite or least favorite. I think this week was a lot better than a regular week, because we tied all the classes together, and it wasn’t like 1st period: Science, 2nd period: Humanities, it was more mixed together, and I think that was fun. One of my favorite parts was when we painted rocks (cough cough excuse me, PETRIFIED POTATOES.). Mine looks like a cow. It has cow spots all over it and I wrote “MOO” on it. I have a question though, are we going to make a school garden? Cause I know last year we had people bring eagles and hawks and wolves (which was AWESOME=http://), but aren’t we going to do something for this book? Just wondering.

I like how the author switches point of view throughout each chapter. I think the basic storyline is that even though people live different lifes and have different cultures, a small thing such as a garden can bring a communtiy together. My favorite activity this week was making flowers in Mr. Howards class. I liked this activity because I got to express how I felt and It was a break from math.

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 12:18 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

I think that Seedfolks "big idea" is that anyone from anywhere can come together and grow a garden with each other. I really don’t like or dislike any characters right now. I planted tomatoes in Ms.Kosters’s class, painted rocks in Ms.Lubich's class, and made coke can flowers and butterflies in Mr.Howard's class.  I liked painting rocks and making coke can flowers and butterflies the best, even though my flower ended up looking like it just came out of World War II—Ha Ha!  

So far, my over view of Seedfolks is still not exactly good because of how I’m going to be gone on Friday the 27 to the 29th and so I have to work on tweeking my World History Project. Sorry I got a bit off topic, in my opinion, it is not as good as I thought it would be. I thought it would repeat each character like a book written, by the same author, called “Bull Run”. HE repeated the characters, but that is just my opinion.

IN science, well… I guess we are planting plants for Space info and sadly we don’t get paid to do it which would be nice. I have no idea how it is related to Seedfolks but, it is more on the side of science than the community around a bad neighborhood.

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 02:29 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

When I first started reading Seedfolks, I thought that I wouldn't like it and that it was really boring. But now that I'm almost finished with it and I understand it more, I like it. I think the big idea of the book is that working together with others can make a big difference in the world. I don't really have a favorite character because I can't really relate to any of them, but I guess I have to choose one. I like Kim because I thought it was nice how she planted lima beans because her dad was a farmer and she wanted him to notice her.

My favorite activity last week was painting rocks in Mrs. Lubich's class. I liked this one the most because I used to paint rocks with my mom when I was little, and I haven't done it in a while.

Article posted May 1, 2012 at 04:26 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

I love the book so far. I think the main idea is how a community with diverse cultures comes together to create a garden. I felt really attatched to the characters when I started reading this book. My favorite character so far would have to be Kim. I think that her story is really touching. I know that I would have a hard time if my dad wasn't around. I think that the garden helped her to fill in the pieces of the puzzle that was left unfinished by her father. She is finding her identity. I didn't like Gonzago as a character as much. I felt like he wasn't as attached to the garden as much as the other characters. Even though he learns a lot from the garden, he is not as important to the development of the garden as the other characters. I am enjoying the book, and the activities that come along with it. I think it is cool that we got to plant tomtato seeds for the Canadian Space Agency, even though I don't have a green thumb! I also enjoyed creating a visual interpretation of the book in technology with a picture quilt. We got to find lots of pictures and compile them into one big picture with little details from the book everywhere you look. I am so happy that the whole school has gotten involved with the all school reads book. Reading this book with the rest of the school is an awesome experience.

Article posted May 15, 2012 at 04:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I think the format is very different from the other books I have read but I kind of like it. I think the big idea is about a big group of people coming together to form a garden and all of them working together like a family. I kind of like the first character that you read about in the book because she is the one that started all of this. My favorite activity was the soda flowers because it was a challenge, they look great, and we were recycling!

Article posted May 8, 2012 at 12:48 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I do not really like the way the book is set up because you never come back to one character twice. The format is weird. I think the big idea is that if a community really comes together and all does there part you can make a big difference. The activity that I liked the most is the one in 2d art where we made seed paper and planted seeds.

Article posted April 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

I think that, so far, Seedfolks is a great book. I like how the book has a lot of different people and how they changed. I think Seedfolks is about how something small, like starting a garden in the ciy, can change so many people's lives. The activities I did so far, based on Seedfolks, are planting tomato seeds in Mrs. Koster's class, making flowers out of recycled cans in Mr. Howard's class, and listening to music from different countries that the characters came from and trying to match the music we heard to the right country. My favorite activity so far is making the flowers out of recycled cans because it's amazing how many different creative things you can do with one little can. I liked every activity I've done and I'm excited to see how our tomato plants turn out!

I have only read the first 2 chapters of the book and I don’t know much about it, but I can’t wait to learn about it. Since I have only read the first 2 chapters with my class and that is as far that we have gotten, so I don’t really know the format. I also don’t really know what the “big idea” is and which characters I like or dislike. As you can see, I am kind of behind in that book.

All of the activities have been so much fun. There were many different ones and they were all new and interesting to me. My favorites were making things out of the pop cans and painting the rocks because the pop cans were new to me and I made a few different things (I think we should have had more time for painting the rocks because I was kind of rushing). I didn’t really like the worm activity because it was gross and also the seed bombs were gross, but I still had a good time in them.

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 03:02 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Our all school read is a good book so far. I think it's really about bunch of people who join together to create a garden to help the look of their town. The activities that we did were fun. My favorite was when we painted rocks because we could make it our own.

Article posted May 3, 2012 at 02:12 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Right now I have not read much of Seed Folks. The format is kind of weird because it all ties in to the other stories but, it leaves you hanging because it only tells so much about one person. My favorite character so far is the old lady. I like the old lady because she seems knowledgeable and she did something bad by digging up the cucumbers so she plants something herself. I think the big idea is that a community can turn a rundown scrap yard into a garden. Or that as a community you can accomplish anything. My favorite activity is the flower making in Mr. Howard's class. I think the rock painting was also fun.

I think that this books so far is okay but I don't really like it not because of the story or anything but because I don't like the setup of the whole story and how it goes from person to person. I think that the character changing gets really confusing. I think that the main point is that yeah some people are judgemental and make assumptions but if we all come together and do something that won't matter of what other people said about eachother because we all end up helping eachother out at one point or another. I don't really like any of the characters more than the others because it is predictable on what they are going to later on. I did like the character Curtis because I think it's funny how he is really cocky and then he finds a girlfriend named Lateasha and then later on in their relationship Lateasha sees Curtis with a girl on his arm and then she pretty much shuns Curtis. Later on in the story Curtis and Lateasha are still not together but Curtis decides that he finally want a wife and Lateasha wants a husband and so Curtis sees everyone planting things in the empty garbage lot; and he remembers that tomatoes are Lateasha's favorite adn so he decides to plant some and then makes a sign that says Lateasha's tomatoes and then one day he sees her peeking out from behind her curtains at him planiting the tomatoes. I sort of like Seedfolks but sometimes it is still really confusing. I am really excited to do the activity in Mr. Howard's class and make a metal flower as well as plant tomatoes in science.

I did not like the book very much. I thought it was just not exciting enough for me. I liked Sam because he had unique ways of going about things like the competition to see who could get water to the garden. I didn’t like the teacher because she tried to be so controlling about everything, even outside the classroom. I think the big idea is that the author thinks people should cooperate and do something as a community with their community. I liked most of the activities that we did in classes but I liked Mr. Howard’s activity most because it was a hands-on kind of thing.

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 03:22 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

So far Seedfolks is okay. I really do not like the format because each time you get to a new character the same thing happens, they plant a garden in the lot. Although I have not finished, I wish that it went back to characters to see what happens after they plant their garden in their point of view. I think it is really about how you can start a poitive influence or chain reaction through a good example. Through a samll girl the whole community can be changed. I really liked the first character, Kim. She was very brave to start it out and believe in herself. Although precatious she kept moving forward.

As far as the various activites they were really fun. I enjoyed each one. For most of them I wished that I could have had more time because I really enhjoyed it and felt presurred to finish. I am glad they decided to do that though because we had more time and got to participate in every activity!

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 03:14 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

I had some mixed feelings about Seedfolks. I liked the message it was sending, which was "People can come together and be friends, no matter wht the circumstance is." The book itself I thought was boring. I felt like their was no point to it. Multiple characters came along and shared their thoughts and opinions, but there was no storyline or point to any of it. Since my stance on the book is that it has no plot, I don't have a favorite character. If I had to choose ONE character, I would choose the little girl who started the whole garden. A little girl who wnted to do something important for herself, then started a chain reaction is pretty cool.

I liked all of the activities that we did in our classes. They were fun and really connected to the book. My favorite activity was Mr. Howard's Aluminum Can Flower Project. It was easy, but the end result was very interesting.

Article posted May 11, 2012 at 01:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

I really enjoyed the book, it was good. I think the "big idea" is keeping the world healthy and make gardens. I'm not which characters I like, they are all good. I liked the activites we did. They were fun! I liked the soda can flowers/butterflies and the tomatoe growing. I liked them because they were fun.

I think that it is really clever how he did each chapter from a different point of view, and didn't really say how each person ended up, but you could kind of guess by what happens at the end. The big idea is that a bunch of people of different background and ethnicity who never talked to each other before come together and formed a community garden where it transforms everyone's lives and they are all happy together gardening there. I liked and disliked Marciela. I liked her because of her "teenage attitude" ("I have went to exactly zero parties, and I've been asked out exactly zero times, including by the scum who got me pregnant"). I disliked her because of her attitude towards her life ("I'm a Mexican, pregnant sixteen-year-old. So shoot me and get it over with. I wouldn't actually care if you did"). I only did two activities: planting tomato seeds in Science, and a music-matching game in Band. I liked the one in Band better, because I actually got to involve, since my group members just hogged all the work in Science. For the matching game, Mr. Silloway played short clips of music, and we had to match it to the people from Seedfolks who were from the country we thought it best went with, with the exception of only two decoys. I have already finished the book, and I was impressed how Paul Fleischman tyed so many people together with the garden so that they were all happy eventually.

For the all school reads in reading "Seed Folks". The book is really good. I don’t really like the format. I thought it would’ve been better if the story focused on 4 or 5 characters instead of 10 or 15. The book is all about a community that plants a beautiful garden in a filthy place. I don’t have a favorite character. I happen to like all the characters because they are all taking part in helping the garden. The activities in the classes were fun. It gave me a chance to learn how to work as a community and make a garden. My favorite activity was probably in science class. It’s fun and exciting to learn weather seeds T or S will sprout first.

I think the big idea of the book Seedfolk is that people shouldn’t judge each other and get to know the people in their neighborhood and show that people can make a difference in each other’s lives. I liked mostly all the characters because they each have a different view about how they see the garden and the people and how they come to liking and looking forward to going to the garden and seeing the people. During the week we had to do several different activities. My favorite was in art because we got to make paper that had seeds in it. We also got to make pots and plant seeds in them, but mine fell apart. ):

I think that this book is about a community that is separated because of their ethnicity. I liked the girl that started it all because she was very daring to be planting in a place like that. I liked painting the rocks in L.A. because I could make it however I wanted it to be.

I think the main idea about this book is probably about the community coming together by farming. Everyone so far in this book had something to do about farming. The charcter that I dislike so far is Ana. She ruined the little girl's plants because she thought the girl was up to no good. I think all the activites we did were very fun, especially because it took away from our class time! My favorite activity was Mr. Howards "recycled flowers." It was very fun. I wish we can do all the activites again.

Article posted May 10, 2012 at 02:40 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

I actually enjoyed Seedfolks. I thought I was not going to like the book at first but once again I was reminded to not judge a book by its color. I think that the book was about bringing a community together and how much a simple garden can change people and bring people close together.I personally like the last person they mention in the book. I forgot her name but I think that she liked the garden the most mainly because of how much she watched it and missed it when it was gone for the winter. My favorite activity that we did was painting the rocks! i liked that activity because we got to choose what we painted on the rock and it was a fun thing to do!

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Seedfolk isn't a bad book. The format is kind of confusing for me because it is always jumping from one story to another. I am hoping that it eventually goes back to the same character. My favorite character is Kim because she is the one that started the whole garden idea. I think that the idea of the book is about people coming together. No matter what their race is. I think that the activities have been pretty fun. My favorite has been painting the rock. Why? I don't know it just is.

I think that this book is about a whole community coming together and creating something that they will all like. Also I think that this book is about how we can save the earth by planting my plants and making new friends. I really like the little girl because she is the one who started the garden. Also I really like the painting rocks in Mrs. Lubich's class for the activates because I got to use glitter.

The world history influenced my life today because now I know everything about Ancient Egypt. My guiding question was why was King Tut’s Tomb one of the most famous Tombs in history? I learned that his tomb is so famous because of the riches inside and the great architectural build it had.

I learned many things from other students, for example I learned from Lauren how to make a Japanese Kimono. A really cool thing that I learned was how Egyptians made there pyramids by looking at Allie’s awesome pyramid made out of Carmel.

I think the format is first person. I think the big idea is that one person can change the whole community. I have liked the little girl because she is very sweet and a main character. I have not disliked any character. I thought they were very fun and a good relation to the book. My favorite was making seed bombs in 3d art because we had a sculpting competition and won candy!

Article posted May 1, 2012 at 12:07 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

What I like about the format so far is that the book has a different character for every chapter. I like how the book does that because I get to see each characters story and feelings and I think that makes the book more understandable to me. I think the book is really about how a garden is able to bring together a neighborhood filled with different races and cultures. I believe that my favorite character so far is Kim because she started the garden and I believe she is the one who started to bring the neighborhood together.

I thought all the activites were entertaining in one way or another. My favorite activity was painting the rocks in Mrs. Lubich's class. I painted two round eyes with a frowny face and painted tears in the eyes and a teardrop going from it's eyes. The story behind my picture was that I was on the computer and decided to draw a picture on it. the first picture that came to mind was a face crying. So I created a huge frowny face and made it my screens background. Back to the activities. My least favorite activity was the one when I had to make a poem from another poem and decorated it with beans. I don't like poems. Sorry all you poem lovers! So now I end my wonderful blog!(Now, if you don't like my blog, well... lets just leave it at that!)

Article posted May 5, 2012 at 02:05 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

I think the format is kind cool making it look like you get to see all the different sides to the story. I think the big idea is that a community comes together to make this garden. I liked Wendell because he is caring and I feel bad that his son died. I don’t like Sam because he uses kids and thinks that he can by everything. But he is also very nice to everyone. I liked the can flowers that Mr. Howard did, I also liked the rock painting because I can use it as a mother’s day gift. I didn’t like the growing your flower in Mrs. Naramore class because my mom hates worms and they gave us one and she throw mine away with out even telling me.

I didn't like Seedfolks. It was boring and slow. The only good part is when Clyde (I think that's his name) pins a man to a wall with a pitchfork. I have gotten a worm, made flowers, wrote a poem, and painted a rock for Seedfolks. My favorite, suprising as it may be, was making flowers. I just liked using the aluminum and alll the options. Seedfolks was not the best book.

I think that this book is really boring.I don't like how Paul Fleischman changed the point of view every chapter. It confuses me. It's like one story to the next. I think it is the connection of the community. Before they didn't communicate at all. I like Kim because she started the whole garden. I think the activities were really fun! I liked making flowers out of cans with Mr. Howard. But all the activities were super fun and it helped me learn how to make things out of recycled stuff.

Personally, I think this book is about working together to accomplish something. I realy did not have a favorite character, but I much disliked the man who took over a huge portion of the public garden to plant his letuce just to make money for himself. I have only done one activity, which is making flowers out of tin cans with Mr. Howard, so I guess that is my favorite activity. I liked that activity a lot.

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 04:40 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I actually have finished Seedfolks and my favorite chapter is the one with the tomatoes. I'm not going to spoil it for those of you who haven't gotten that far yet but I must say that chapter is very heartfelt. I think that the overall message of the book is awesome, but the author could have written a nicer ending. I thought that the ending was horrible! Other than that thought I really liked the book. Like I said I'm not going to spoil it for those who haven't read that far so.....  Anyway, my thought on the activities is an okay one. I don't think that the activities are as entertaining as they could be. I mean I love plants and all that but the activities involving them could be better. Such as the library doing plants, I think that it's a wonderful idea to grow something in your library, but it would be a lot more interesting if we could expand on that just a little. I also believe that the activities in academics were a little bland. I think that painting rocks could have been something more interesting for a substitute (sorry Mrs. Lubich!).  If I could decide what the activities were to be I would definitely say that we should grow a school garden or raise a class pet or something like that. Still, the activities we did still related to Seedfolks so, if the people who organized the activities had the goal to really relate to Seedfolks, well then......... bull's eye! 

I think this story so far is about a community that is so different uniting and becoming respectful to one another. The two white people are my favorite because they are actually caring for the girl's plant. The metal flower activity I think was the best because we were able to all come together as a class and make great pieces of art and we were working together to make little gardens!

I think that Seedfolks is ok. I find the format a little weird. I feel like you just start getting what their explaining and then it’s a new person.  I think this book is about people who are making gardens in one big plot. A little girl started the whole garden with just a couple seeds. The character that I dislike is Wendell.  I dislike him because he just seems lazy and kind of boring. This week I found the activities very fun.  One of my favorite ones was planting the tomatoes. I can’t wait to see which one grows faster. I also thought making the flowers were fun! These were my favorites because they were more hands on. Even though these were my favorite I enjoyed them all.

The book, Seedfolks is really interesting.  I think this book will be about multiple people who will be changed with planting. So far this book is about a communtiy that has some problems or there are some bad things that happen in this community. Once Kim starts wanting to start a garden in a dump, the community changes and is transformed into a nice community. I think this book's main idea is that even how bad something is, it can change. This ide changed this community. My favorite character in this book is Kim because she started this garden. This garden then starts a chain reaction changes the community. I really like Seedfolks because it was never really that intersting to me until I read the book, then I liked it.

Well really we have only read the first two chapters of Seedfolks. So, I really cannot say much. My friend's class read the whole book in one class period.  We were reading the book as a class. The activities were quite...uh... pointless. We planted seeds, made flowers out of cans, and painted rocks. To me all they did was give an excuse to relax. Over all I'm wondering if we should read the book on our own and that the activities were boring.

Article posted May 1, 2012 at 02:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I surprisingly like the book Seedfolks. When I first started I didn’t like it at all but when I got towards the end I saw how a garden could bring so many different people together to do one great thing for their community. This huge act started with one simple act from a little girl named Kim. Kim is my favorite character because instead of sitting around and morning her dad’s death she went out and did something great despite what happen to her family. We did a lot of fun activities but my favorite activity so far has been painting rocks because I made mine look like a pretty lion!

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 12:54 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I am not really enjoying Seedfolks so far. I feel like the format makes it seem like the same story is repeated over and over. I think that the big idea of the book is that a small, simple act can make a chain reaction. I loved the aluminum can activity in math because it was extremely hands on and recycled.

Article posted May 8, 2012 at 12:18 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Seedfolks is a O.K. so far. I like how each chapter there is character that contributes to the garden. They all come from different walks of life but the garden is what they all have in common. My favorite person so far is the girl in the first chapter. She is the one that started the huge community! My favorite activity was making flowers in Mr. Howards room because we didn’t have to do any math that day!

I honestly don't think Seedfolks is the best book. I haven't been able to read that much of it but it is very repetitive, new foreign person, see the garden, have some big memorable thing, then contribute to the garden. At this point I don't really know that much about the characters, but they all seem pretty good. I think the activities have all been very fun. I really like Mr. Howard's flowers and Mrs. Lubich's rocks. I think I liked them so much because they were artsy, and you didn't have to think as much.

I enjoy all the different perspectives in the book and the stories of them all. I think it is about a community of people who all have a reason to plant a seed or contribute in a way to the garden. My favorite character is Curtis, because he is planting his seeds for love. He has a beautiful story and reason for the garden. I loved how creative the activities were. My favorites were the tin flowers, the rock painting, the seed bombs, and the worms. I loved these because it really made me feel like I was helping to make the world more beautiful.

Seedfolks is about how people live and how people keep their neighborhood clean. I don’t have a favorite part because I don’t really like that book.

It teaches you how to plant and be greener for our planet. I thought the things we did in our classes were fun and cool. I like making flowers with Mr. Howard that was fun.

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 03:30 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

I really enjoyed this book because it had a good meaning to it. I think that the author was trying to convey a message similar to Rachel’s Challenge. If somebody were to do something nice, everybody will join to end a bigger problem, like segregation. My favorite character was Ana because she tried to get her dad's attention by planting some seeds, but what she actually did was something much bigger, put a stop to segregation. So far my favorite activity was making aluminum can garden with Mr.Howard. After he is done displaying our beautiful works of art I am going to make my flower into a ring.

I don’t really like how the point of view changes every chapter. I think the big idea is that everyone can come together to make something great. I’ve liked Curtis because he is making his garden to get Lateesha to like him again. I liked all of the activities we’ve done in classes. Painting rocks was lots of fun and making flowers out of tin cans in Mr. Howard’s class. I really thought this was cool. We got to use hammers and scissors. I liked Mrs. Lubich’s activity because we got to use rocks and hang out with our friends.

The main idea of Seed Folks is that a community comes together over just a small vacant lot. My favorite character was Wendell because he takes care of Ana, and he watered kim’s plant. The character that I dislike the most is Virgil’s dad because the lot was bring people together but Virgil’s dad is using the lot to make money. The activity I like the most was in Mr. Howard’s room with making the flowers out of soda cans that was pretty cool.

Article posted May 9, 2012 at 01:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

I think the format of the book is really cool so far. It’s fun seeing all the different perspectives. The big idea is a little cheesy but very impressing. Just hearing about a community coming together keeps me in awe. My favorite character so far is Kim, how she decided to keep her father in memory. The sentimental part of her lima beans is very touching.

I think having the activities helped me remember the book. The activities were very creative and all related to Seedfolks in unique ways. My favorite activity was making seed bombs in 3d art. Seed bombs are these little piles of dried dirt mixture. I know that sounds really icky and disgusting but it’s not as bad as it sounds. Each table had a contest  on who could make better figures out of the mixture. Making the bombs were lots of fun, since I did them with friends. It was a blast!

Article posted May 1, 2012 at 02:21 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

Something I like about the formatting is that it gets everyones oppions on the garden and what they struggles they have gone through with life. The Big idea for me is that one little girl made a big difference in her community by just a few seed I also think this is about a community putting aside their differences and coming together as one. A character I didn't like in the beginning was the old lady who thought that the little girl was doing something wrong and that she just jumped to the conclusion that everyone in this neighbor hood were bad people but that was'nt necessrily true.

I had so much fun with the activities like in science we're planting tomato, in math we made flowers out of cans, in Language Arts class we panted rocks but mine doesn't look very good. After all these activities I'd have to say the math activity was my faviorite beacause I like to make flowers and I had lots of fun with it, I also liked the rock painting because we didn't really have to do work but we could just relax and take a little break

I like the book Seedfolks so far. I like how everything ties together and how there is a different person's views for each chapter. I also like how one person starts a community garden and then it starts a chain reaction and turns into a whole big thing. My favorite activity was in Mr. Howard's class when you make flowers out of tin cans. I thought it was fun because you had to work with your hands and make flowers. I thought that the whole week was fun.

I haven't really started the book yet, but from reading the back and the title, I think that the book will be interesting and that it won't be only about planting seed, but will have a different story. I have been absent on Green Days all week, so I only got to do the one where we make the flowers with Mr. Howard. It was really fun (and way better than doing math!) We had to be careful because we could get cut by the cans. We made a whole garden of them. I spent my whole class period just making one flower! Some people made two of them. Even though we had limits, we had plenty to make a flower, or butterfly.

Article posted May 1, 2012 at 03:32 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

So far I think that Seedfolks is an okay book. It definitely is not something I would read because it is not something that interests me. I usually don't like books that bounce around from one character to another constantly. It's difficult to follow. I think that all the characters are unique. I say this because it sounds like they have all been through hardships in life and just want to make things right, and don't like how things are now. For example, at the beginning of the story the older woman immediately thought that the little girl was up to trouble, but that is just because they live in a gang neighborhood that has a history of drug activity. So far I have enjoyed the activities that we have done in our class. My favorite activity was the one we did in Mr. Howard's class room, which was making flowers out of aluminum cans. I enjoyed making the flowers and allowing myself to be creative. Over all I have enjoyed the activities and the book and I can't wait to read more of the book!

Article posted May 3, 2012 at 01:38 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

About Seedfolks, I personally do not like the form or style of the book. The book would’ve been better if there were more chapters on each character. Also, the book was only 86 pages and could’ve been read in an hour or two. I thought it was about people of one city that do not know each other come and each individually plant their own food in a garden and eventually get to know each other. Mostly, the book's moral or big idea was to get people of different nationalities that live in the same city together and to know each other. My favorite character was Royce because he has changed everyone’s opinion on him after helping the garden out. Before, people were somewhat afraid of him. For the activities, all of them were enjoyable and were all very different. My favorite activity was in technology when we made a quilt of pictures (from the internet) that have relation to the book.

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 01:55 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

The book was actually pretty good. In my opinion, I think this year's all school reads is better than last year's. I think this book is about planting gardens and making people feel good. I liked Royce because he guarded everyone's garden with a pitchfork.

The activities in class were pretty fun. I liked the activity in band because we got to listen to music and decide which was which, and from what country.

“Seedfolks” was a pretty good book. The format was unlike anything I had ever seen before. I thought it was very cool how the author was able to tie all the characters together even when he was switching them constantly. Speaking of characters, my favorite was Kim. She was the one who started the garden. Against all odds, she was able to bring people from different backgrounds to the garden slowly but surely. I really think the big idea was that know no matter who you are or what you do, we can all put aside our differences to complete a common goal. In this case the common goal was maintaining a garden.I was able to do two activities relating to the book. The first was planting tomato seeds with Mrs. Kosters. It was pretty cool because the experiment is for the

Canadian Space Program. I also did an activity with Mrs. Lubich. I got to paint a rock to make some scenery. I honestly do not know how it tied into "Seedfolks" except that there are rocks in gardens. My favorite (and final) activity correlating with the book was Mr. Howard’s can flower making. It was really fun to make flowers with recycled materials. But, I just thought of something that actually does relate to the book itself. After the garden was said and done, It was really cool to see all the colors and different cans that make up the flowers that make up the garden. This is kind of how all the different people with different ethnicities came together to make something beautiful.  In both scenarios the beautiful thing was a garden. I started out not liking “Seedfolks” but now I am really getting the concept and enjoying it.

I like the book so far. I think I like the girl from the beginning the best because she was the one who started the whole planting/ farming thing in the vacant lot. After reading some of it I really think the “big idea” about the book is everyone leaning to share and be creative in their own way with planting a garden. So far in my classes I have done 3 activities with teachers making flowers/butterflies with cans, listening to music, and planting tomatoes. My favorite one so far would be the planting the tomatoes because it gives a real experience in what planting seeds is like and how it feels to make your own kind of creation.

Article posted May 15, 2012 at 03:57 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

"Seed Folks" isn't a very good book, in my opinion. The format of it is new to me, so it's hard to find a character I like the most and least. It's pretty cool how the author made the book so that each character was connected by the garden. It was unique of her to do this, but it made the book not so good. The activities for "Seed Folks" were a little boring. It seemed more like work than fun for the tomato plants in science. For math, it was fun making butterflies and flowers. It's not something I would normally do and I felt goofy doing it, but it was pretty fun. It was like we were back in KinderGarten.

Well, I would say that Seedfolks was an interesting book. My favorite character would probably have to be Curtis. I like how he thinks he’s so big and strong and yet, he can take care of his tomato plants. I find that humorous. My favorite Seedfolks activity would have to be in Mr. Howard’s class. I liked the different things you could do as well as the break from math itself. The “big idea” of Seedfolks would probably be that communities could be families.

I am already almost done with Seedfolk, and I hate it=http://! It is the most boring book in the world!!! I really don't care about a little garden in a musty city. That's my opinion, but you might think otherwise. In drama, we are doing little skit acting things, and Mrs. G-S is reading from seedfolk for us to act out. I guess thats ok. That's all we've done so far in all my classes about seedfolk. I am so glad it is a short book though, so it doesn't take to long to read. I think the big idea is about a garden. Also, how people cope with their lives with the garden. I can't wait to finish it so I don't have to read it anymore=http://

I thought the activities were interesting. I mean, I'm not used to painting rocks and making flowers out of soda cans, but thay were cool!! My favorite was definatly getting to make the flowers. I thought that wass creative and, well, just weird. I have never heard of that.

I think that the format is ok but kind of jumpy. It jumps from person to person in each chapter and I don't really like that. I think the big idea is that in the beginning the community wasn't a community. But in the end they came together. I like the little girl who started all of it and the boy who sleeps in the lot with a pitch fork. I only remember doing one activity for seed folks and that was with Mr.Howard. We made flowers out of aluminum cans. It was really fun.

My name is Collin and this is my blog