Color Poem:

Green

Green is the color of summer grass

Green is the scaly iguana climbing up the tree

Your face is green when you are sick

The palm fronds are green in the Sahara desert

The yucca fibers are green on the vast open pains

Our planners are a glossy green

Green is the unripe apple hanging on a branch

The red-eyed tree frog’s slimy skin is green

Green is the thick rainforest and all of its life

The flowing Nile River is green

Green is the color of life

Wild Animal Monster Poem:

He has pythons for hair

His eyes are poison dart frogs

For toes, little mice

Gibbons for legs

Zebras for hips

Pheasants make eye-brows

A tongue is a beaver

His shirt, a family of leopards

Two burros for a back-side

His lips are salamanders

When he thumps by, he lets out a roar

He is the animal king

And the animal kingdom

He is a loud, leaping, swinging, and romping

Wild animal

Playing With Words:

Surprise!

An elf happened to have a grudge

He hated a pony named Fudge

It was soon Fudge’s Birthday

And elf wanted his say

He found a surprise

That Fudge would despise

Elf bought a cup-cake

And also a rake

For he knew that the mess

Would be a distress

Little Fudge had no idea

That with his birthday so near

Would come pain and fear

The day soon came for the surprise

Little did Fudge know that elf had planned his demise

He opened the present

That he would immediately resent

Though the pony was too late

For he is now in an unfortunate state

And all because of the cup-cake

BOOM!

Wish Poem

I wish I was a falcon

Soaring in the sky

Shooting through clouds

Article posted May 11, 2012 at 01:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Article posted May 11, 2012 at 01:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 04:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 45

My guiding question was, "How did the Roman amphitheaters affect the Roman people?"

Well, I have found that the amphitheaters gave Romans a sense of pride. This is so because going to the games meant that their empire was strong, successful, and wealthy. After discovering concrete, the Romans were building amphitheaters all over the vast stretch of the empire. The Romans were also reminded of their proud history of well won battles and glorious victories. The Romans were reminded because occasionally the gladiators would play out scenes from ancient battles just as a reminder. The amphitheater was also adorned with beautiful carvings of the Gods. The spectators paid their respects and there were often human sacrifices. Today Roman amphitheaters don't affect the world as much as they used to, but they are still used as tourism sites and a place to learn about the glory of the Roman Empire and the magnificent amphitheaters.

I learned a lot from other projects, like they used tar in the Babylonian gardens to prevent rot in the structure. I also learned that Romans used quite a few (very interesting looking) tools for farming. Also, that the Retiarii gladiators used nets and tridents as weapons. I believe that people learned a lot from the World History Fair and I look forward to seeing my sister's project next year when she is in seventh grade.

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 03:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 45

I thought the way Little Rock Nine got treated was horrible. The other kids made fun of and teased them. I don't know if I would have had the courage to do what Earnest Green did. He pushed through and never gave up. He was very brave and strong to overcome the challenges that lay before him. I admire Earnest for doing what is right and trying to fight for an education even though he understood what he would endure. Sometimes I wonder if racists put themselves in other people's shoes. I mean, it's not their fault that they look the way they are! They can't choose who they are or what they look like. People shouldn't be ashamed of who they are and if people are going to discriminate then that's their problem. No one should have to endure what Earnest Green went through, they should be able to be happy with who they are.

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 04:40 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

I actually have finished Seedfolks and my favorite chapter is the one with the tomatoes. I'm not going to spoil it for those of you who haven't gotten that far yet but I must say that chapter is very heartfelt. I think that the overall message of the book is awesome, but the author could have written a nicer ending. I thought that the ending was horrible! Other than that thought I really liked the book. Like I said I'm not going to spoil it for those who haven't read that far so.....  Anyway, my thought on the activities is an okay one. I don't think that the activities are as entertaining as they could be. I mean I love plants and all that but the activities involving them could be better. Such as the library doing plants, I think that it's a wonderful idea to grow something in your library, but it would be a lot more interesting if we could expand on that just a little. I also believe that the activities in academics were a little bland. I think that painting rocks could have been something more interesting for a substitute (sorry Mrs. Lubich!).  If I could decide what the activities were to be I would definitely say that we should grow a school garden or raise a class pet or something like that. Still, the activities we did still related to Seedfolks so, if the people who organized the activities had the goal to really relate to Seedfolks, well then......... bull's eye! 

Article posted April 30, 2012 at 12:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 42

My project has been a little conflicting seeing that my 3-D model has been changed over the time that was given to me to finish it. At first,  I  was going to make my model out of sugar-cubes. Then  I  realized that sugar-cubes would take way too long and it would weigh too much.  So, when I realized this I looked for other possible solutions for a 3-D model of an amphitheatre. I found that styrofoam would work well so I went to a craft store and looked for some. It turns out that they didn't have any left. I didn't really have any idea what else to make it out of. That was until my mom gave me the idea to make a cake. At first I was confused, then I started to understand what she was saying. A cake would be the perfect model! Plus, when I'm done with it I can simply eat it! So I made a cake and it turned out very well which surprised me. See, I'm not the best cook but, I managed to make it all by myself! Then there was the board I had to deal with. I decided in the end that I should put a huge blow-out picture on my board. I chose a nice picture of an amphitheatre, saved it on a flash-drive and took it to FedEx. I had it printed up in about five minutes and glued it on. The whole thing cost around $3. After that it was simply a matter of printing, cutting, and pasting. Finally I finished!

Article posted April 17, 2012 at 02:36 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 51

I also need name ideas! So far if it's a boy, then I was thinking about Forest (like Forest Gump), or Frodo from Lord of the Rings. If it's a girl I came up with really random names like Sherry or Amelie. Please comment!

I have been contemplating getting a parakeet. My dad said that if I could convince him he would let my sister and I get one each. So, I made him a powerpoint. I skyped him yesterday and he told me that if I could find at least three people willing to look after them he would let us get one. I've been looking for someone to look after them but I also need to be well informed on parakeets. Please, anyone who has owned or owns a parakeet or budgie comment!!!! I need cons and pros on parakeets!!!

Article posted April 7, 2012 at 05:55 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

When we dissected chicken wings, I found that chickens are lot muscular than I thought they were. The skin was also really difficult to remove from the wing. So I pretty much peeled it off. Some parts of the dissection were kind of gross. Especially when the fat got sticky. The dissection wasn't as gross as I thought it would be. (thankfully)  In fact, it was pretty interesting.