Reid's Writing

7th Grade 05/15/12
International Towne 05/13/12
Vocab Study 05/13/12
World History Fair 05/06/12
Seedfolk 05/01/12
World History Fare 04/24/12
Music 04/09/12
Dissection 04/04/12
What Happened 03/20/12
Ernest Green 03/15/12
Good Enough Isn't 02/28/12
Microscience 02/22/12
Road of Life 02/22/12
Books 02/07/12
Blogging 01/31/12
2012 Goals 01/29/12
Poetic Effects 01/24/12
Your Pick 01/24/12
Reflection 12/15/11
Greece 12/12/11
My Choice 12/01/11
Thankful 11/17/11
Blogging 11/02/11
Always Remember 10/30/11
Current Events 10/19/11
Good Books 10/16/11
Better School 10/05/11
Funniest Thing 09/12/11
Rachel's Challenge 09/07/11
7 Random Facts 08/31/11

Article posted May 16, 2012 at 12:55 AM GMT • comment • Reads 88

Now that I look back, 7th grade was pretty good. The more social side of this year has been successful because I made a lot of friends. My grades were also successful for the most part. 3rd quarter wasn't the best quarter for me grade wise. I learned a lot academically like new stuff in math, humanities, pretty much everything. I also learned that if you put your mind to something it will end up good. If you dont't, it will end up bad. I would change something if I could. I would change the blogs. There were also some things that I learned the hard way was don't let your grades dip or else it will be hard to get them up with a week leftin the quarter. In the 8th grade I would like to have straight As for at least 3 quarters

For next year's 7th graders, I would say to think before you talk and don't make people angry. This is from personal experience.

International Towne was okay in my opinion. I did, however, learn a thing or two. I learned that newspapers sell well and that being a Finance Minister isn't that hard. If I could have changed anything it would be the breaks. They were really short so you didn't have time to do much. I thought that the best part was lunch because I was really hungry that day.

Article posted May 7, 2012 at 02:39 AM GMT • comment • Reads 43

The world history fair wasn't so bad. World history influences our lives today because it informs us of how people solved problems and tells of different cultutes. My guiding question was "How did Julius Caesar earn respect?" I learned that he did a lot more than just win many battles. He also was a very liked politician.

I learned some new things by looking at other people's displays. I learned that gladiators were mostly slaves and that you could make a gladiator helmet out of a hockey helmet. Something interesting I learned was that in colosseums, they would fill it up with water and have battles on boats in the water. This told me that Romans had some amazing architecture and irregation.

Article posted May 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

Seedfolk isn't a bad book. The format is kind of confusing for me because it is always jumping from one story to another. I am hoping that it eventually goes back to the same character. My favorite character is Kim because she is the one that started the whole garden idea. I think that the idea of the book is about people coming together. No matter what their race is. I think that the activities have been pretty fun. My favorite has been painting the rock. Why? I don't know it just is.

My topic for the WHF if Julius Caesar. He changed the world by changing the way the world saw military war tactics. So far I've learned that Julius Caesar had more victories than you could count and that he was so respected, he got offers that no Roman had ever been offered before. So far on my project, I haven't gotten much done for my trifold. I have it planned out but don't have everything I need for it. It is the same for my 3D part of the project. Other than that my project has been coming along pretty good.

Music can define someone. Literally. Maybe not that person entirely but how they feel. If they are listening to sad music for a long time, they might be seen as a sad person. If you listen to happy, upbeat music, you might be seen as happy. Some people might just use music to get out their emotions. When someone is sad, they might listen to sad music. Or they might listen to happy music to change their mood. Sometimes, music can be more than just instruments and singing.

Article posted April 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 47

Dissecting the chicken wing was pretty cool. I think we dissected it because we were learning about how the body works and mainly how the muscles worked. I thought that it was worth our while because it taught us a lot about muscles. I learned that if you pull a bicep muscle, it will pull the arm into a flexing position. I didn't really think much of the experiment though. It wasn't really fun. Partially because I didn't do much in it. I just wrote stuff down!

What happened to us

We were the best of friends

When we hit this brick wall

I don't know why

Or what I did

But I must have done something

To push you away

What happened to us

Why can't we talk again

What happened to us

When I saw the story of Ernest Green, I was surprised. If I were him I wouldn't have had the courage to keep on going to that school or watch my friends be constantly harrassed. Luckily, things have changed from back then. Now all races are allowed in any school. But there still is some racism left in the world. Some people dislike people for their color or just racial stereotypes. But at least it has changed still.

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 12:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

"Good enough never is" Debbi Fields. This quote is just so true I couldn't get it out of my head. We never have enough, or something is never just perfect, there's always room for improvement. This is a poem I wrote about this quote.

Good enough won't work

Good enough will never lurk

Around because it never is

We always want

Something better

We say we need perfection

Enough is never quite enough

Good enough never is

Science has been fun lately. We have been doing a lot of experiments ,which I, like and I have learned a lot. I have learned how many types of cells there are and how important they are. There are so many types of cells, skin cells, braiin cells, nerve cells, animal cells, plant cells and bacterial cells. Cells are the building structures of all life and even though they are very small. The only part about this unit that I do not like is all of the vocab.

Article posted February 22, 2012 at 11:33 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 41

ROAD OF LIFE

In a nice, clean house

Across a daily black route

To the best learning prison

With all my friends

Among my cruel enemies

Under the influence

Of my fellow peers

Against some of their hobbies

Throughout the entire day

On top of my learning

Into my favorite class

With my teacher Mr. Howard

Without any breaks

Down the road, Success

To high school and college

Article posted February 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

Lately I haven't read any books. Right now I am reading Heavier Than Heaven by Charles R. Cross. It is a biography of Kurt Cobain, the singer of Nirvana. I like it because it goes into detail of his life which is very interesting. The only problem with it is that it is very sad. At the age of 9 his parents divorced which made him get into some bad stuff.

At first blogging wasn't that bad but now I just don't like it as much. I honestly think that it would be a lot more easier just to write it down instead of doing this. You don't have to hit 100 different links to get there and it's faster for the kids that can't type well. Well that is just my opinion, call me crazy, but that's what I think.

My goals for 2012 are.....ummm I don't really know. I guess to get good grades for the remainder of the school year and get with my friends more. I also want to get in shape by running and lifting weights.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 01:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 60

There are many tools that poets use to have a special effect on their poem. Some of them may use emotion while others may use tone or a story. Emotion can be used to make the reader feel what the poet or character in the poem is feeling. Tone is also a big part in poetry because if the tone is very angry then the reader will likely read the poem as angry. In the "Highwayaman", when he is angry that Bess died the tone gets more angry and you read it as if you are angry.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 01:49 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

"Compassion and tolerance ae not a sign of weakness,but a sign of strength." Dalai Lama.I think that this means that reaching out to someone or tolerating them is a good thing for your character and it is harder to do this instead of just ignore or hurt someone.I could apply this to my life by reaching out more like stopping someone from getting insulted repeatedly. If everyone followed this quote it would make the world a better place. It would mean that people would show compassion and help others not just walk by while someone is trying to pick up their books off the ground.This saying could be used to brighten someone's attitude because if they told one of their friends to stop bullying something and they were no longer friends you could tell them this saying. This could impact the world because if everyone followed this saying and did it people would be nicer.

This project went well for the most part. Working in a group this way was hard for me. We couldn't talk face to face and work things out. Getting your own part done was the easy part. Putting everyone else's work together was the hard part. Communicating was okay with our group. One thing that would have made this easier would have been if we would have had skype on this computer and talked to them.

Greece was a large place. I know that it made up of several city-states and each one had different laws. They often went to war with one another for land, money or some other thing. The city-states were also very prideful in their polis.

Right now in class we are doing multiple activities with the city-states. Right now we are trying to memorize the Greek alphabet which isn't easy. We also roll dice or spin a spinner to see if we gain or lose points for the day. I don't know what happens if you are the one with the most points by the end of the quarter.

Article posted December 1, 2011 at 10:45 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 50

Fire's a dangerous thing. It burns so many things. Like napkins. The last time that my brother had a lighter for candles, he took napkins and started to catch them on fire. I don't think that that's what a candle lighter is for.

Article posted November 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 72

I am thankful for many things. I am thankful for my family because the are there for me when I am sad and they take care of me when I can't. I am also thankful for my friends because they make me laugh and I always have a good time whenever I am with them. I am also greatful for the country I live in because we are free to do many things and many people don't have the oppurtunity we do. That is what I am thankful for.

Honestly, I don't like the blogging that much. It has been easy when I start it but sometimes my computer is all messed up and I can't blog. So the blogging isn't the problem it is just my computer. I think it is good how we can just type it up on our own time and not have 30 seconds to do it in class.

There are many reasons why you should always remember. You can honor those people that did something quite worthy of remembering and learn what not to do. You can also remember what to do as well.

This is my conclusion and I feel like it is weak. Please, HELP ME!

Article posted October 20, 2011 at 01:55 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

We live in a very fast paced world. And I mean VERY! In Las Angeles a man was shot and killed while riding his bike at 1:25 a.m. It was strange because there is no known motive for the shooting and the man that was killed was only 32 years old. Police are still investigating the scene. It is things like these that make me think how quickly your life can end. I think that this is very sad because that man still had a lot to do in life. Everything just happens so fast in our world. This is the site of the articel I read:

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_19146144?source=most_viewed

There are a lot of good books every where you go. I have read a couple great books in the past few weeks. Right now I am reading Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I like it because it has the whole good guy, bad guy part but mainly because it is also about a family that is struggling with other problems of their own trying to get through all of it.

Wow, Mountain Ridge is so much better than my old school. The teachers are better and the kids are a lot nicer and there are way more kids so not everyone is into everyones business. Plus the curriculum is a lot better than at my old school too. There is so much that I am learning this year that I probably wouldn't have learned at my other school.

The funniest thing that has ever happened to me probably was when I was on some bumper boats aat a park that is closed now. I stood up ready to get out because I thought it was over and a girl comes and hits my boat, making me fall in this greenish brown water almost hitting my head on a concrete edge. I got out and had to wear clothes that were way too big on me for the rest of the day. But when I look back on that day, it was actually kind of funny.

Article posted September 8, 2011 at 12:22 AM GMT • comment • Reads 53

I thought that the presentation was great and worth the time as well as very needed and effective. I took away a lot from it like that I should really be nicer to people. I am going to try to be nicer to people and reach out more to others.

Article posted August 31, 2011 at 11:46 PM GMT • comment • Reads 57

1.My name is Reid.

2. I don't talk a lot.

3. I listen to music constantly.

4. My favorite bands are Shinedown, Switchfoot and One Republic.

5. I skateboard daily even if I'm only okay at it .

6. I love the beach in California.

7. I play baseball, often an outfielder.