My 7th grade year had been full of happy  and sad  memories, mood swings , some stress and procrastination , and preparation for moving away .  Of course, there were all the normal embarrassing incidents, as well as the times you want to kill   your siblings and SOCK  your friend in the gut. My progress in L.A. has improved even more (if possible ), but I have something short of failed in Math this year, recieving pitiful -B's  and even dreaded C's  and lower! I always feel strides behind in class, and have to get help from my friends to keep up. That is the only class that I feel I have some learning difficulties or ADHD !!! I just can't focus  and it feels like my head is being pounded  by a hammer so that my throbbing brain can hardly think. I learned TONS of new terms and punctuation rules by doing grammar drills every day , thanks to Mrs. Lubich's diligent, persistent, and dedicated hard work she put into focusing her time and energy into teaching us all the things we need to know to write accurate essays and 100%-correct stories. Thanks a lot ! I really wouldn't change anything because it was the most magical year ever ! I learned the hard way in Math, because it really is hard for me to learn! Next year, it would be my dream come true if I could get lessons for the violin , since it is my dream instrument. I would tell all the soon-to-be-seventh graders to not get on Mrs. Lubich's bad side by turning in blogs late, and to not procrastinate but just do the blogs and get them over with!

Article posted May 14, 2012 at 02:20 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

I think it was a very worthwhile expirience that was a blast. I loved seeing my friends working their jobs in different countries, buying different products, and managing my own job in my country. International Towne definitely taught me how to handle money better and manage a buisness/ country. If I could change anything, I would go to Mexico and get food, go to Ukraine and get lots of cookies and chocolate-covered raisins, request a song, and participate more in making the newspaper. Overall, it was worth all the preparation and time we spent learning how to do our jobs. The best part for me was going on break and getting to spend my money how I wanted and get what I wanted. It was nice for once to be the one with the "whip."

World history can influence our lives through simple history fairs like the one we did, because it gives people a chance to learn about geography, culture, different ethnicities, and more. We find out about a bunch of stuff we never knew we would be interested in, in a cool, neat way by seeing visual aides and attractive poster boards that catch our eye so we can learn something new without being bored to death through a lecture. My guiding question is: "Was Cleopatra more of an Egyptian or Greek monarch?" I learned that she was born in the winter of 69 BCE (specifically with the 'E') and her siblings are as follows, from oldest to youngest: Berenice, Cleopatra Trypheona, Cleopatra VII (who I did my project on), Ptolemy XIII, Arsinoe, and Ptolemy XIV. Her father (Ptolemy XII A.K.A. Alutes, died when she was eighteen and she married her brother, Ptolemy XIII. The most interesting part for  me was how she died. A servant smuggled in a basket of figs with an asp in the bottom and when no one but her closest maids were around, she lifted it to her bare breast and it bit her. She died several minutes later, as did her handmaidens, for they had been accidently bitten as well.

I only vaguely remember what I learned from the World History Fair, because I only looked briefly in the time we had, but from what I could see, it was believed that there was a curse over King Tut's tomb, Ancient Egypt mummies were literally gutted like the frogs we dissected in Science (though MUCH more gently; they didn't have their heads cut off afterwards), and I even learned some new things about Cleopatra VII, even though I did my project on her, though I can't quite remember...

I think that it is really clever how he did each chapter from a different point of view, and didn't really say how each person ended up, but you could kind of guess by what happens at the end. The big idea is that a bunch of people of different background and ethnicity who never talked to each other before come together and formed a community garden where it transforms everyone's lives and they are all happy together gardening there. I liked and disliked Marciela. I liked her because of her "teenage attitude" ("I have went to exactly zero parties, and I've been asked out exactly zero times, including by the scum who got me pregnant"). I disliked her because of her attitude towards her life ("I'm a Mexican, pregnant sixteen-year-old. So shoot me and get it over with. I wouldn't actually care if you did"). I only did two activities: planting tomato seeds in Science, and a music-matching game in Band. I liked the one in Band better, because I actually got to involve, since my group members just hogged all the work in Science. For the matching game, Mr. Silloway played short clips of music, and we had to match it to the people from Seedfolks who were from the country we thought it best went with, with the exception of only two decoys. I have already finished the book, and I was impressed how Paul Fleischman tyed so many people together with the garden so that they were all happy eventually.

My topic has created change, because it has really opened my eyes to what went on in the world in Cleopatra VII's time, and all the astonishing facts of her time. I found out that she was born in the Winter of 69 BCE, and was the only person in her family to learn Egyptian, though they lived there. Cleopatra had romantic relastionships with Julius Caesar and Mark Antony in her lifetime.  My final project is coming along really well, and my poster board looks amazing. I just have to finish my 3D model of an asp snake and paaste some facts on my board and I'm totally finished! It is going to answer my question by using research points, and by summing up the final facts supporting my side in my conclusion. I know my topic, just in case people ask me questions about her or her lifestyle, and I am totally ready with my Cleopatra costume, which I am wearing to my fabulous presentation on Tuesday.

Double-Headed

“Hey, girls, get down here! I have someone here for you!” Mr. Hamilton called up.

Skye and Melody exchanged exasperated glances, both knowing exactly who it was. A few weeks ago, a boy named Wendell Havoc had moved into the peeling yellow house next door that had been vacant for over a year. He was head over heels in love with them, but the problem was, they didn’t like him back. They had their eye on Seth Peterson, a dashing boy who was the girls’ friend. The other thing was he didn’t know there were two of them, because he had only met Skye at the time, since Melody had been at soccer practice. Since then, they had taken turns meeting up with him- at their parents’ insistence, of course. The girls were identical right down to the last freckle, so he had no idea he was being made a fool of.

“Your turn!” the curly haistrawberry-blond girls exclaimed together. Melody raised an eyebrow and gestured towards the ever-growing pile of homework on her writing desk, and then said pointedly,

“It really is your turn, you know. Last time he visited I was at my writing group.”

Skye groaned and strode over to the door with her long, slender legs. “You really do owe me one, you know.”

Melody snorted. “No, I don’t. It’s totally even. We take turns.”

“Yeah, but I mostly see him because you are always at your practices or writing meetings.”

“Oh, right, like you never go to cheerleading practice, volleyball, ice-skating, ballet, and track meetings and competitions.”

Skye rolled her violet eyes and left to meet Wendell. Her hand shook on the banister as she slid it down the smooth, polished wood. She quickly raked her fingers through her hair, and stepped down to meet her father. Her temper flared when he shot her a smug smile. Ever since the first time she had met Wendell, since it had been Skye that time, her parents had the idea that Wendell was only in love with HER, and that she was in love with HIM. It was a great annoyance when they made casual comments about her “love life" at dinner. Of course, Melody couldn’t help but chuckle into her glass of water or snort into her plate of ravioli. Her parents were always confused when Melody went with him somewhere, until she explained that Skye was somewhere else, since their parents hadn’t yet picked up their ploy.

Wendell even liked her personality better than Melody’s. Skye knew as well as her sister that if he were to ever find out he would like Skye better, which of course Melody was relieved about. Skye braced herself as she stepped out onto the porch and came into view of Wendell’s adoring gaze...

To Be Continued….

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 09:25 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 42

We dissected chicken wings to see how the parts looked, fit, and worked inside the wing. I thought that it was really awesome, and it didn't gross me out at all. In fact, I can't wait to dissect a frog. It's really fun to see what's inside things. Probably the only thing that I couldn't stand dissecting is a human being. The dissection was worth while because it helped me gain some experience in dissection before we dissect a full animal, like the frog. I learned where each internal part was connected to, how it functioned, and what it looked like. I am truly looking forward to dissecting the frog, and will relate my pleasurable experiences then. Chow!

Article posted March 21, 2012 at 01:21 AM GMT • comment • Reads 58

I wish...

I wish I was a prima ballerina

Whirling in my pointe shoes across the stage

My fluffy pink tutu swishing around my legs

The roaring applause of my audience cheering me on

Rounding off my performance with a beautiful curtsy

I wish...

I wish I was a horse-whisperer

Able to connect with horses

To understand what they’re saying

To hear an animal like never before

And to understand how they truly feel

My Pointe Shoes

Soft, light to dance on

Pink, comfy

Like cotton candy

Satin ribbons

Sturdy to stand on

Support me while I dance

Beautiful figure

Hug warmth

To my feet

Snug, but not too tight

Falling Asleep

I'm tired

Not wide-awake 

Not slumping onto the ground tired

Not like I’m falling asleep sitting

Tired because I'm sick

Article posted March 15, 2012 at 01:29 AM GMT • comment • Reads 84

My reaction to The Ernest Green Story was fury and hate towards the people that were cruel towards them and pity towards the nine kids who suffered through all that. If I were them, I would've probably never even considered switching to the white school. I would have rather stayed at the not-so-good school for blacks than risked my life for a good education. I would have never in my entire life had enough courage to even attend the first day of school. All I would've be thinking about is the angry mobs outside the school and whether or not I would survive the day without any harm. I think that I would have rather never received an education than to go put my life on the line. I am very afraid of any kind of pain. That is mostly why I am afraid of heights, because I every time I look over any kind of high distance, all I can imagine is falling and getting severely injured. I am also afraid of falling, because the feeling is terrifying. If I were to go to Central, I would be very afraid of getting beaten up or hurt emotionally or physically. Things have mostly changed, because now there are pretty much no schools that are all-white and there is so much different ethnicity, including blacks. I think that is wonderful that they are apart of that now. Of course, there is still racism, and that may never completely fade. Slavery is now illegal and blacks have the same rights as us, though many people are furious about this, and it is still going on in the United States and basically every other country in the world. You pretty much get the idea that slavery is everywhere and you should be very cautious... I think that I will always be impacted by the fact that people with different colored skin are sometimes treated differently. They are human beings, just like us, and they could all band together and revolt against us. Some blacks and other colors will never forgive "us whites" for what we did, and to be honest, I am not proud at all of our ancestors and I don't know if I'll ever forgive them myself for all the torture and abuse the Little Rock Nine went through. I am glad they got to have some hope in their lives, because some blacks sure needed some then.