Article posted November 14, 2011 at 07:51 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 304

I have never read a very good mystery story before but none the less SCOOBY-DOO, is my favorite mystery book ever though it is not a good mystery story I still love it with a passion.

Article posted November 8, 2011 at 12:21 AM GMT • comment • Reads 51

My favorite of all the mysteries I read was "The Speckled Band". I liked it the most beacause it was the most interesting and it had a strange ending. I especially  liked this story beacause I would never of guessed that the story would of been solved the way it was.

my short mysery... who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?

Mr. Mittens and Mrs. Wiskers stared into the empty jar. "Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?" they asked each other. Both protested that they hadn't done it, but it had to of been one of them! There was only one way to find out who did it, so they called Detective Toad. Detective Toad came immediately, this case was very important. Mrs. Wiskers helped Toad search for clues while Mr. Mittens went off to his room. After days of hard work and searching for clues, Detective Toad finally found what could solve the case, a trail of crums!Detective Toad and Mrs. Wiskers followed the trail to none other than Mr. Mittens bedroom! Inside the room, Mr. Mittens was messily, chewing away at his cookie! Caught in the act! Mr. Mittens turned and said, "I stole the cookie from the cookie jar!"

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 04:02 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 60

I found that the best mystery I read was “What Comes Around Goes Around”. I think this was the best mystery because it was so suspenseful. The author waited until the very last minute to reveal what really was happening in the story. Here is a story that I thought might make a good mystery.

Emily, Sara, Ashley, Brian, Josh, and Ashlyn left the school in their usual group. They always walked home together. They were the popular group. Then they said goodbye where they all have to go different ways to get to their house. The next morning students were freaking out at school.

“Did you see the news this morning?!” Students screamed to each other.

“Of course I did! I can’t believe this happened to all of them!” Other kids shouted.

Turns out that Emily, Sara, Ashley, Brian, Josh, and Ashlyn had all gone missing. All their parents called in at the same time to report a missing child. The police have not yet figured out why they are missing or where they’ve gone.

I need to run the dog is after me two min later the dog sunk his paw into the back of his head. Mr. Nelson was soon dead but who sent the dog. Dogs do not chase unless told.So two days later we found out it was mr.Luke he sent the dog because he hated him.

Article posted December 15, 2011 at 06:29 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 55

The best mystery I've read is The Speckled Band. The author do well enough for me to claim it as the best is that it's unexpected and suspenseful. I tried to do the same with my mystery story but I couldn't find a clue that seems random. I also should've included a murder.

Here's a great mystery starter:

My fellow Watson,

I can't tell you my name nor where I live. I'm being hunted down by my enemies so I must run. Whatever you do, do not get involved. They'll hunt you too if you do.

Can't say much.

Article posted November 10, 2011 at 01:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 43

The best mytery story that I have read was The "Speckled Band" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I think it is the best because I don't read that many mystery books except when we did the 8 short stories. The "Speckled Band" stood out to me because first it was one of the must reads and second I liked how sherlock manipulated the snake.

If I were to write an intro to a mystery story the story would begin with a guy being murded in the pool table area of the Ripley Star Club. I would then have it be found by the bar tender when he was closing up the shop. He would call the police wich would follow clues and try to find the murderer. In the end I would have them die Grisly deaths.

The best mystery story I read was the “Oblong Crate” by Edgar Allan Poe. I thought it was a really good mystery because of all the suspense. Also at the end when he found out that his friend’s wife was really dead that really shocked me.

My mystery story starter- One lat evening, a girl named Aspen was walking home on the cobblestone path. She notices that a man was behind her, but she just went on walking. About five minutes later, Aspen notice that the man was getting closer. She started to worry a little. So she started walking faster. When she turned around to see if the man was still behind her, he was right next to her.

My favorite mystery story would probably be, "The Final Call". This story is actually kind of short, and this is one of our scary stories from the mystery unit. Well, this story is more of a scary story than a mystery but it brings questions. Any way, I like this story because the author really made me wonder of who was calling, and the best part was at the end, sad, but still one of those shocking moments. Now for my mystery story...

It was late, dark and late. Midnight to be exact. Should I do it, will anyone suspect it was me? I have to, I have to do it, she thought to herself. She grabbed the rope and the room key. She was going to do it. Annie Jones was going to be killed tonight, no matter how much I loved her. She walked to the door, slowly unlocked it, and there she lay, Annie Jones asleep on her bed. She tiptoed across the room and pulled a chair to the rim of a wardrobe. She grabbed some rope and tied Annie up, making sure it was impossible to escape. Suddenly, Annie woke up. "Huh, whats going on?", said Annie

"Shhh! just don't say a word, this is for your own good!", She siad.

"Wait! No! Stop!" Annie siad. Annie ran across the room. She chased her, Annie ran into the mirror, smashing it into pieces, and cutting herself. Annie grabbed one of the pieces and cut her. "Ouch!, you bad bad girl, you shouldn't have done that!" She grabbed Annie and cut her back. Annie tried to slip away but it was to late, she had already hung Annie, making it look like sucide. It was the end for Annie that night, and as for her, she would continue her regular life, loving the rest of her children.

Hope you like! Its kind of random though, just from the back of my mind.

One of the best mysteries I've evr read is Flush. What makes it a good mystery is that it's about some ordinary kids solving the mystery and sneaking out in the middle of the night to do it and save their near by lake. The author of this story just made a fun and interesting story for kids and adults to read.

It was a dark mysterious night in the allys of Remmington Blvd. There were no lights on in any of the cracked, undated windows, there was not a single car driving down the roads, and no sounds, not even the giant clock ticking as every second passes. When the giant clock struck midnight, a dreadful scream echoed the allies of Remminton. 

Article posted November 29, 2011 at 12:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

The best mystery I've ever read is probably Black Peter by Sir Arthor Conan Doyle. I haven't really read a lot of mysteries, so I don't have much of a choice. Of the choices I do have, I like this one because it is more than just a simple mystery story. The author was good at adding suspence to the story even though it is a short Sherlock Holmes story.

I think a good beginning to a mystery may be: "One stormy night, a suspicious figure ran through the nieghborhood."

"    

Article posted November 8, 2011 at 01:48 AM GMT • comment • Reads 52

My favorite mystery is "The Pit and the Pendulum." I enjoyed this one because of its suspense and action. I enjoy Edgar Allan Poe's tendency to write gruesome stories. Being slowly sliced in half by a swinging axe sounds unpleasant, but it's fun to read about. I also enjoy the style of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories. I think the ideal introduction to a mystery would be something like Doyle's "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle." I like the way it introduces a seemingly unimportant object, Holmes deduces amazing things from it, and then the object suddenly becomes relevent to the mystery. Here is the opening paragraph to my mystery. It seems pretty random, but it is all relevent to the mystery:

Matthew waited patiently in his small bush plane. He and the only other man aboard, the pilot, sat near the runway at Boeing Airfield in Seattle. Matt watched as the snow fell silently on the plane. The de-icing crew drove up to begin work on the plane. Two men dismounted the truck and began spraying antifreeze on the wings and body of the little Cessna. It was a cold night, and Matt was glad that he was in the warmth of the plane. The men finished the plane quickly and departed in their truck for another plane. The pilot mumbled something in his headset and ignited the plane’s engine. They were headed out of Seattle and into the wilderness of British Columbia, Canada. Matt was going hunting for the weekend, and was glad for the much-needed vacation. The turboprop lurched off the runway into the night. Despite the snowfall, when the plane ascended above the clouds, there were clear skies. Matthew sat back and enjoyed the flight. One hour later, the plane was on the ground in a heap of wreckage and flames.

I think my favorite story was "What Comes Around Goes Around." I thought this story was suspensful and short...:D I also likes this mystery because I thought there was a lot of distractions that led the reader off of what was really going to happen. Now for the mystery...

It was a dark, cold, chilly night, and you could hear the wolves howling. Something had given me the creeps, but I felt like something was following me behind. I turned around to find a rock behind me. I found a rock, so I continued to walk. However, I did not remember looking at any rock on the way, so I took another look... This time I found a somewhat large puddle. Again, I knew I didn't see anything like that on my way. I got scared and tryed to call my mom, but I had no signal.

I really don't know why, but I always think of something dark, and chilly when I think about a mystery.

Article posted December 15, 2011 at 01:21 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

The best mystery story I have ever read is "The Pit and the Pendulum" by Edgar Allan Poe. Poe wrote it as if you were in that man's position. He made it feel like you were staring death in the face like the main character was.

A start for a mystery... okay, here's a start for a half mystery half horror.

STEP. STEP. STEP. This was the sound of Cassey's footsteps as she walked around her house. She was a diabetic and needed to take a walk every night. It was too cold to go outside to walk, so she walked inside. As she passed her large front window, something caught her eye from across the street. A man was staring at her through his window with binoculars. "That's weird," Cassey said to herself. As Cassey continued her walk, the man kept staring at her. For a minute he went away, but then Cassey looked out her window and saw that the man had reappeared OUTSIDE HIS HOUSE. Cassey felt a tingle of fear, but ignored it and continued her walk. About ten minutes later, the man disappeared again, and this time, he reappeared in the middle of the cul-de-sac Cassey lived on. "This just gets stranger and stranger," Cassey said. At last, she had finished her walk and sat down on the couch for a moment to relax. "Maybe that man will leave me alone now," she thought. After another minute or two, she headed to the kitchen to fix her supper. As she passed the front window, she saw the man standing at the beginning of her driveway. Cassey instantly began to panic and became very scared. "This has gone too far," she said, and rushed to her phone to dial 911. She dialed the number and just to be sure, she looked out the window, and saw that the man was now in the center of the driveway. He was too far away and it was too dark to see is face. "What is doing and why?!" Cassey thought.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 02:20 AM GMT • comment • Reads 50

I really haven’t read a mystery before out of school, but in school I have really enjoyed the mystery unit. My favorite mini mystery that I have reads is "The Black Cat" by Edgar A. Poe. The reason I liked it so much is because it was kind of gross and you really didn’t know what was going to happen.

A mystery story I would like to write about is disappearances.

Article posted December 7, 2011 at 02:23 AM GMT • comment • Reads 53

A great mystery I read was "Bad Girls Don't Die" by Katie Alender. This book was pretty creepy. It was a mystery while also going into paranormal stuff as well.

If I were to write a mystery I really don't know what it would be about. The one I wrote for Language Arts was pretty good although, it didn't represent me well. I would do a mystery that relates to me/my life. Something maybe at my dance studio where everyone's left tap shoe goes misiing for some weird reason. Or a mystery at the barn where I board my horses. Something where the horses change size from draft size to mini horse size and we don't know why.

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 12:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 45

I haven't read a lot of mystery stories before, but my favorite story from the mystery unit was "The Speckled Band." Sherlock Holmes is the best detective, and I liked when he kept unlocking new clues and evidence to the story.

A good mystery story starter would be- One foggy morning, I was woken up at the crack of dawn by the high-pitched scream of the door bell. Still half asleep, I sauntered down and answered the door. To my surprise a young little boy appeared in front of me. " Help me please help me," he squealed. "My parents have gone missing!" I invited him in and I told him to tell me every thing that he knew about this. " Well my parents went out to dinner last night for their work, and I was left with a nanny,"he started.

The best mystery I ever read was probably "This Book is Not Good For You." The reason this the best is because it real suspensful and creepy.

If I was writing a story I think a good start to one would be... I was on a walk one night in New York regular ruteen of mine. Somtimes I would see cops on potrol but nothing to spectacular untill today... and that i think would be a good start to a mystery.

The best mystery I have ever read is the hound of the Baskervilles. It was a really good story. The people were creepy and the author did a good job of hiding the suspect.

Article posted November 12, 2011 at 04:27 AM GMT • comment • Reads 60

The best mystery I have read was “The Speckled Band” I find that the author did an excellent job at making the reader wonder and actually look deeper into the story instead of other mystery books who give bigger chunks of clues that make it more obvious.

A starter for one of my mysteries might be something towards the lines of: One dark and gloomy night, I was walking through the ally way and I heard a weary scream. I scarcely looked around my surroundings and began to wonder. Where had it come from? What had happened? Could I myself be in danger?

Article posted November 8, 2011 at 12:27 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 54

The most recent mystery story I have read is The Séance by Joan Lowery Nixon. The book has won the Edgar Allen Poe award and is about a séance gone wrong.

I had just done a writing prompt for the mystery unit and I think it might have made an awesome mystery story! I have even been told that it was traumatizing. Hope you like it. A Never Ending Circle By Kacie Piper hadn’t wanted to do it, in fact she didn’t even mean too. But the feeling inside her mind had made her do it. She had to have that darn necklace. Isis, her best friend in the world, had said words that rang throughout Piper’s head before she died. “Lies are a never ending circle.” She had said. Piper’s heart ached at the thought of Isis. It wasn’t her fault! It was her darn selfish side, the one that always got to her and took control of her whenever it wanted something. The necklace that she had wanted was extremely magnificent and she wanted it, no questions asked.

Article posted November 10, 2011 at 12:02 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 50

The best mystery I have ever read is the Christopher Killer. This story had lots of red herrings, which turned out that it was the truth. SO this was very good in a way that it was not confusing. The author made it so that it felt like you were a part of the story. So people go ahead and read the Christopher Killer!!!! Short Story: I was walking home to my pent house apartment when all of the sudden a speeding mercedes came out of no where and slammed straight into me. BLood was all over the hood and my coat. Then without turning around it turned the corner and left me to bleed out. Who could have done such a horrible thing?

I love reading mysteries. One mystery I read was called The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. It’s a great book about 2 detectives who come across a young woman who is very scared. She tells them that her sister died and she’s worried that she’s next. You’ll have to read the book if you want to know what happens next.

My favorite story was "Bloody Mary" because I like how they make it a legend and how the devils face pops up if you stare in the mirror and say Bloody Mary 5 time.

Hmm... best mystery ever, huh? Man... uh, that would have to be "The Pale Assassin". It's a story about the French Revolution, and a girl who's rich has, basically a stalker trying to kill her, and she's trying to run away. Also, there's a big mob of people who didn't like the rich people and try to kill them too. It's a really cool book. The author is Patricia Elliott.

If I had to make a mystery, I'd make it like a girl is a groom at a racetrack, and horses are mysteriously being found dead, or something like that. OF COURSE I WOULD MAKE IT LIKE THAT!!!! FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO KNOW ME, YOU WOULD KNOW WHY!!!! I like horses WAY too much...

Well let’s start off with the fact that I despise mysteries, I absolutely hate them, but I will do what is required for school. The best “mystery” that I’ve read so far is the "Pit and the Pendulum" by Edgar Allan Poe. The reason for this is because it isn’t a mystery at all. Its pure suspense but if Mrs.Lubich wants to call it a mystery that is fine by me. There is absolutely no mystery element in the Pit and the Pendulum which is why I like it. Here is a mystery starter worthy of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

"The Stalking Silhouette"

One night I was out walking and I saw a mysterious silhouette sprinting stealthily across the rooftops. He/she was not making any noise, I only say him/her by chance. After seeing the mysterious figure I arrived at my apartment. For the next several days I have gone outside to try and spot the figure again, but with no luck. This is indeed a peculiar situation.

Article posted November 8, 2011 at 02:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

Since I have not read a lot of mystery books(or any books in general),I would have to say that "The Black Cat"by Edgar A.Poe is the best mystery book I have read.The reason I think this is the best story is because he makes it scary and makes it to where you think,"what's going to happen next!?"Plus he puts in a few sudden surprises in there that completly turns the story around.

A great mystery story starter I made is.....

One day a 17 year old girl named Sally asked her parents if a boy she knew could take her somewhere.Her parents said no because they do not know who he was, but she did not care and decided to go anyway.Her parents were going out on a date so they told her to stay home while they were out.The boy came and picked her up and they went around to some places.He started forcing her to kiss him while he was driving and they got in a wreck with another car.They were both injured and found out they killed both of the people in the other car.Sally told the nurse that she wanted her parents.The nurse said that they can't get a hold of them so she went and talked to the people at the hospital.The nurse came back and told her that the people that got killed in the other car was her parents.

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 02:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 64

The best mystery I ever read was The Cat Who Robbed A Bank by Lilian Jackson Braun. It is about a person who is mysteriously found in his room dead! He was a jewel dealer so he was an open target to the public. The main character is Jim Qwilleran accompanied by his cats Koko and Yum Yum. They all investigate the crime. Yes, the cats help. They have a somewhat psychic ability to help Jim. I like this book because it is not a scary mystery book. The author makes the book suspenseful so I want to keep reading. I also have two cats that I love but they aren’t psychic.

Here is the beginning of a story I would write: One day when I came home from school I sat down to see if any of my cats would show up to sit on my lap. I searched all of the room and found they were gone! I also checked the doors and windows too; they were locked.

Article posted November 14, 2011 at 02:13 AM GMT • comment • Reads 52

The best mystery I read was "The Pit & the Pendulum." It was the best because in my opinion, it was the most suspenseful out of all of the stories. Also, it was the most unique. It wasn't just your typical mystery. The author(Edgar Allen Poe)made it really suspenseful which made me want to keep reading. That is what made it the best.

Great mystery short story starter: mysterious notes start appearing around a school and students start to disappear

The best mystery that I have ever read was "The Speckled Band" by Sir Arthor Conan Doyle. I have a younger sister, and I can relate to the family aspect of the story. I loved how the red herring in the middle of the story kept you on your toes. I was really caught up in the suspense. I could not put the story down.

Mystery starter: I woke up and immediately looked at my wall. Something was wrong. To my horror, I saw that the medal was gone! All that I had worked for, the long training sessions, my blood, sweat, and tears, GONE! The question now is who did it.

Article posted November 29, 2011 at 03:40 AM GMT • comment • Reads 59

“My Favorite Mystery”

I have only read a few mystery books and if I could choose which I like better I would say “Encyclopedia Brown.” I would choose this because when ever you read one of his there are a lot of red herrings in his stories. I also like his mysteries because there is not a single mystery that he can’t solve. Over all he just has very good mystery books. and that is “My Favorite Mystery.”

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 02:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 52

The best mystery I have ever read is “The Oblong Crate”. This is the best and only mystery I have ever read. I really liked it because it had a lot of suspense. The author did a really good job on writing it that is another reason I like it.

There is a story starter that I think would make a good mystery, it was a dark and stormy night. Wind filled the houses of Baker Street. No one was expecting what was going to happen next when all of the sudden….

Article posted November 12, 2011 at 01:18 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

I think that the best mystery I've read is The Hound of the Baskervils. I actually have watched it the move. It is very suspenceful and I think that is what makes it my favorite. My starter for my mystery is this: It was a clear dark night. The moon was full and all was quiet. John Tippler was sitting in his study reading some letters when there came a knock at the door. John thought to himself, who culd it be at this hour? When he opened the door, he found a man, tall with black hair and wearing a pair of glasses.

Article posted November 12, 2011 at 06:45 AM GMT • comment • Reads 46

I love reading Sir Conan Doyle's mysteries! He just puts a lot of red herrings. I really like the "Adventure of the Priory School". You think you know the person who did the crime, but you are so surprised to find out who really did it! It's crazy! Sir Conan Doyle is an AMAZING mystery writer! I love the way he likes to leave the answer to the crime until the very end, when Sherlock Holmes tells all the things he figured out.

For my own mystery I think I will start out with the preview of the ending and then start with a flashback. I really like the mysteries that do that. This is probably what it is going to sound like. "She was in front of my eyes. Standing like she had been awaiting something terrifying. Where had she been? But I began to see the mystery unfold, starting with the rope that bound my sister's ankles." I don't know if that is what I'm really going to do. It's just a little jotting of things that I thought would be a good start.

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 01:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 99

The best mystery that I have ever read was probably "The Oblong Crate" because the writer always made conclusions on what was in the crate and it always kept me thinking what was truly in the crate. I think that the author did well at making conclusions that were wrong and I would always think about what was actually in the crate. They were all really good conclusions so I thought that those things were what was in the crate. All of the conclusions that he made kept me going because I eventually found out that they were wrong so I just had to know. Here is my short story starter:

One dark, snowy night a girl named Sally went to her family jewelry shop like she does every night to help sell jewelry. As she walks in she finds out that the lock on a jewelry case has been messed with and once she gets closer she realizes that the famous emerald was MISSING! Right away she called the cops and they rushed over to investigate. Some evidence that they gathered was that there were fingerprints on the glass with some smeared chocolate donut frosting. It got way too late so the cops said that they would go to the donut shop in the morning and ask the baker a few questions.

The next morning the police and Sally arrived at the donut shop early and went to go ask the assistant manager if they could speak with the manager, but she said that the manager was not at work yet and it was very unusual because he was almost always here on time. "Then may we ask you a few questions Ms. Shosherman?" said one of the cops to the lady. "Sure," replied Ms. Shosherman. The cops asked all sorts of questions like have you seen anyone mysterious come into you shop, was your manager here yesterday, and a lot of other things. AS Sally was sitting away from the cops and Ms. Shosherman she noticed that all of the chocolate covered donuts were gone and reported that to the cops! finally the cops said that they needed to get more clues about all of this so they went off and said they would be back tomorrow with some conclusions.

The greatest mystery story that I've ever read is probably Sherlock Holmes and the "Speckled Band" because I can't think of many mystery stories that I've read. What the author did well was making the spot of the crime seem like there was no possible way for the outcome of a person that just dies in a secured room.

The whistling through the trees seemed harmless, but very dangerous. All of the wildlife had gone mad on a killing spree. Nothing could be explained to why these things were happening. But Dan, a hunter was going to change that. He knew the forests very well, and was looking for any evidence to what was going on. He then finds a mysterious plant that he'd never seen growing in that certain forest in Colorado. Could this plant be the secret to why the wildlife in the area have lost their minds?

Article posted November 14, 2011 at 12:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 50

I think that "The Fall of the House of Usher" is the best mystery that I have read.I think it's the best because it has suspense and it builds up the story so the reader knows what's going on. I also think it's the best because it is unlike "The Pit and the Pendulum" where it's confusing in the beginning. In The Pit and the Pendulum the way it starts out, I had no idea what was going on because it had no introduction. That's why I think "The Fall of the House of Usher" is a better story.

Something else that I like from "The Fall of the House of Usher" is the setting. Good mysteries need to have an appropriate setting and the setting in The Fall of the House of Usher is dull and dark and the house is old and creepy. The puzzle in the story makes you wonder about the strange noises that the characters hear. I also like the way the story ends because I thought that that maybe Roderick's sister was still alive.

An intro that I think would make a good introduction is: It was a dark and stormy night. I was walking through the woods when I heard a loud and scary noise from behind. I quickly turned and BAM! I got knocked out. When I awoke I found myself laying there but couldn't seem to remember anything. Who was I? What happened to me? How did I get here? That is what I think would make a good mystery introduction.

Article posted November 15, 2011 at 04:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 55

There are many things I am thankful for but if I had to pick three things it would be that I have things like technology, my dog and my family.

I am thankful for technology because it is helpful because it can entertain me or it can be used to help me get tasks done. Also, technology can be used to get my work done I could use the internet and do other tasks.

I am thankful for my dog because he is always by my side…well almost always there. I can pet him and play with him. I can also play catch or fetch .Sometimes when I’m board I’ll just pet him or I could play tug of war with him.

I am thankful that I have me family to stand next to me and give me advice and guidance. In my family I also have my brothers to mislead me and torment me for the rest of my life. It makes me happy to know that there will be bitterness and hard ship because of them but I do the same to them.

Those are three things I am thankful for.

I really enjoyed reading the story "The Black Cat" even though it was dark and gruesome it had a great plot. I liked all the details included but there were some details that were a little too much. I have this idea for a mystery where these twin sisters switch lives and one of them get murdered in the others place and the living sister disappears and nobody knows why. I'm really excited to write this! Here's the beginning. I was running as fast as I could but it wasn't fast enough.I guess should tell you why I was running, I just stole some money to pay Benny back. Benny gives me my drugs but soometimes I fall a little behind on payments.He was getting angrier everyday I didn't have the money and this was the third time he had sent someone after me.

Article posted November 12, 2011 at 07:37 AM GMT • comment • Reads 44

It’s a Mystery

I have to say that the BEST mystery I’ve ever read was The Speckled Band by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I liked this book because of its story line. I really like the characters, the animals, and the setting of this story. I really like red hearings but sadly I didn’t really find that many of them in this short story. I suppose I also like all the Sherlock Holmes books so that probably has a conflict with why it is my favorite mystery as well.

I will try to create a good starter for a mystery, but, there are NO promises it will be great. So here it goes.

As I was in my room typing a blog for homework I was interrupted by a great, loud, sobbing, cry. I got up and I headed down the stares down to where the sound was coming from. I was shocked to see that it was my mother.

“What’s the matter?” I questioned her. I could tell that she couldn’t make out words because of how much she was crying but she had enough strength to point. My brother had gone missing. Supposedly my mother had called all my brothers’ friends houses and he wasn’t there either. He couldn’t just get up and leave the house he was too scared to do that. At this point I had started crying too.

“Mom,” I asked “do you remember when we lost shadow?” (Shadow is my black dog that looks a lot like my profile picture.)

“Yeah,” She answered.

“Well someone came to us with her even though she didn’t have her collar. He will come home he is too afraid to not come home.” I suggested.

“I suppose we could take a rest,” she agreed.

We had travelled back home and we jumped into my mom’s bed only to find it was the morning of the next day and we had slept the whole night. Suddenly we heard a noise much like my brother’s football game for the XBOX 360. We rushed down stairs. To our surprise he was there!!!

“Where did you go? We were so worried.” my mom stated.

“I didn’t go anywhere,” he answered.

“What???”

“Mom he didn’t go anywhere he was in the attack you can tell because he left it open!!!” I answered her question.

But how did he get up there, where did he really go, and what is he not telling us???

Okay I know that wasn’t very good but I guess it works.

The best mystery I’ve ever read was "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle". The author made it so good by including all of the elements of a mystery and using them at just the right times.

Mystery Starter: It was a normal morning at Mountain Ridge and none of the students had arrived yet. After a mandatory staff meeting, all the teachers went to their classrooms to get ready for the first class. When Mr. Howard got to his classroom he was surprised to see that there was a Civil War cannon in it.

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 12:07 AM GMT • comment • Reads 63

The best mystery I have ever read was Running Out of Time by Magaret Peterson Haddix. I really enjoyed the suspendas that was used to express the story. What made it "the best" was that the author didn't use so many words to write the story, in other words she didn't make the story mushy. 

What would make a great mystery would be of you started out, "It was dark and cold and wolves were howling all around, Hadley stood in the darkness with her dead cell phone and her jacket. When finally she decided she would try to get home a hand grabbed her and through a blanket on her and all she could her was a faint beeping noise. Suddenly, the blanet was removed and Hadley found herslelf were she never would have imagined herself before..........

Let me know if you like it!

The best mystery I read was the Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle. I liked the way Sir Arthur Conan Doyle composed the story and the way the ending got made. It really was hard trying to find out what went on with each clue.

Mystery opener:

"I walked into the house and heard an eerie tune that made my bones chill. I turned on the lights and saw my father sitting at the kitchen table.He was motionless. He had a grin that made him look like he had just won the lottery. My presence was of no concern to him, for he just sat there. I checked his pulse. He was dead."

Article posted November 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM GMT • comment • Reads 48

The best mystery I've read is"Why the Dr. Went Mad" because it really is a mystery and it isn't solved, even at the end of the story. I doubt the author even knew the end to the mystery! Here's the beginning of the mystery I'm writing for L.A. It's called The Legend of the Hunt.

"The Legend of the Hunt"

Charlotte Hunt looked up from her watchful post over her brand-new baby girl, Helen. She’d been hearing the same noises for the past hour. It sounded like multiple heavy footsteps grinding across the floor, and they were getting louder by the minute. Helen gurgled happily from her bedside crib. Charlotte rested her gaze on her, but snapped her head back up when she heard heavy breathing outside the door. She leapt to her feet.

“Damien, is that you?” she called out to her husband.

There was a pause. Then there was a deafening noise of cracking wood as the door was knocked down. There, in the doorway, stood a gigantic metal beast with clawed feet. Charlotte gasped as she saw it held in one clawed hand a giant, shinning silver sword, tipped with black poison. She recognized the sword at once. It was the worst nightmare of the Hunt family. Charlotte was overcome with emotion as she looked upon the sword that had killed her mother, and her grandmother before that. Now this creature would surely kill her with the same weapon that had pierced all of the Hunt women.

Charlotte backed up against the wall, paralyzed with fear. The beast advanced and with a slice of his sword, she lay on the ground, holding her bleeding stomach. Charlotte heard the back door being unlocked, but her brain was in too much of a fog from pain that she didn’t hear the groceries hit the floor and her husband come rushing to her side.

“Charlotte!” he said, surveying her bleeding body.

“Damien...Watch out! It’s the Hunt!” With these words the beast came and took the bloody sword in both hands and sliced her head off with one clean swipe.

Not even the sound of the outside world could have blocked the screams of sorrow and hatred from Damien as the beast quietly turned and walked away.

Article posted November 15, 2011 at 01:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 58

The best mystery that I’ve ever read was probably "The Shining" by Stephen King. King did a lot to make "The Shining" they best scary book that I’ve very read because he adds so much detail and is very descriptive that it creates a picture in your mind.

Mystery Starter:

It was January 21, 1988. The Kim families had just bought a house and were very excited. The couple months that they've lived there were going pretty good, until one night one of the daughters disappeared.

One of my favorite mysteries was the one about the car because I thought it was interesting even though it was weird and creepy.

I think a good short story could be about a person loosing something important to them and going crazy looking for it. Then it would be fun for them to end up finding out their little sibling had taken it without asking.

The best mystery book I've read would be Hank the Cowdog: The Garbage Monster from Outer Space. I found this book very funny. Plus, I liked how Hank thought the raccoon was a garbage monster. This is my mystery story starter: One lonely night, Joe stood up after waking from a terrible nightmare. In his nightmare his brother was killed. His throat was slit and he died in seconds. Joe went to his brother’s room to find his brother dead. Just like in his nightmare, his throat was slit and he died in seconds. Joe wondered how he could have known how his brother died. He called the police and they found no evidence. No forced entry, no weapon, and no fingerprints. The police left. Joe was so confused and scared he could not sleep. I hope you like my mystery story starter.

Article posted November 13, 2011 at 12:52 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

The best mystery story that I ever read would probably be  "The Oblong Crate" . The author kept making guesses of what was in the crate.  But all those guesses were wrong. It wasn't  until the captain finally revealed what was in the crate that I stopped guessing. For a moment I thought they wouldn't announce it. That is what a good mystery needs. He wanted us to predict and get those kinds of conclusions so that when we finally think we know the answer he changes it up and goes the other way like a U turn.  I love mysteries that is my favorite genere (even if it's scary).  So this is why  "The Oblong Crate" was the best mystery I ever read.

Story starter:

"GET OUT !" The old man screamed. He chased the kid with his cane shouting " YEAH YOU BETTER RUN AND DON'T COME BACK AGAIN !" Jack almost having a heartattack said " Whew, Sarah that was a close one." Sarah replied " See Jack I told you not to go inside his house."  Jack and Sarah were two adventurous kids who always got into trouble. Jack said " Sarah I really wonder what was in that red box he had." 

" I dont know Jack we better go before.... AHHHHH=http://

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 02:54 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

The best mystery I have ever read was in 4th grade when I read Hugo, or something like that. (I can never remember the title) The author,  ( don’t know his name either) made the story very slow and like you needed to read the next part or the world would end!!!! Hahahaha!  

Ok here is my starter for a mystery....... The room was dark and I was freezing in that corner. I wanted so badly to get a drink of water that I was going insane, but I knew I couldn't, that thing across the room was starring at me like a hawk and hadn't stoped watching me  since 3 hours ago when it came. The urge to get water got stronger, and I knew that soon I would have no choice but to make a break for the kitchen. ....... Good?!? No?!?

My favorite story was probably "Black Cat". It's about this freaky little fuzzball called Pluto, and when his owner kills him, he gets his revenge. While reading the story, I knew this wasn't going to be a happy ending. His creativeness with the story was awesome, and I wish I could right like that!Oh, and here's a great storyline for a scary story...(I wrote this myself!)

I stare doubtfully up at the cave. "It seems dangerous." I commented, my eyebrow furrowing. "Nonsense!" My grand-pappy said, giving me a nudge. "Alright, fine." I take a step inside the half-collapsed cave. I hear the sounds of a moving bus, then children screaming. I immediately back out. My grandfather has gone silent. One sentence is all that's heard next. "Hey... How's life? I haven't seen it IN YEARS."

The best mystery story I have ever read would be The Pit and the Pendulum by Edger allan poe. I just recently read it in are mystery unit in languege arts. What I really enjoyed was how the story ended. He kept you thinking.

I walked into his room, and saw him. Dead, lying in a puddle of blood. What was I to do? Would I be a suspect? I had to do something. There would already be eveidence that I was here, so should I report it? I paced back and fourth, thinking. Later I realized i was leaving bloody footprints. I paniced. I had no time. I left with blood stained hands, my best friend crammed in the trunk of my car.

Article posted November 14, 2011 at 12:52 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 57

The best mystery I have ever read had to be “Bloody Mary” because there was lots of suspense and it was a mystery if the myth actually works. The author did good at keeping me on the edge of my seat and having her stay in the bathroom for a while to keep us waiting.

She walks into the graveyard at night and behind her is a…..

Article posted November 29, 2011 at 01:42 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

Honestly, I don't read that much. I have read some mysteries in Language Arts. Of all of the stories I read, I liked "The Cask of Amantillado." I liked this story the most, because I thought it was funny how one guy got the other guy drunk, and built a wall around him.

It was kind of a weird story, but I like weird stories. I think that a good starter for a mystery would be about a woman that had a garden, and every day one of her plants would disappear out of her garden. Then she set up a security camera but whoever was doing it never came again.

Article posted December 15, 2011 at 01:40 AM GMT • comment • Reads 45

The best mystery book I have ever read would definitely be The Hourglass Door by Lisa Mangum. Lisa Mangum grabbed my attention on the first page. She has a very high suspense level in this book and I absolutely think that she has captured the mystery genre. She also mixes in a little bit of romance. This as well captured my attention.

Now on to my paragraph.

She walked into my dorm and I knew it was over. She had done. There was nothing I could have done. My body filled with disappointment. I knew what going to happen sooner or later so why was I so disappointed? I mean if you knew something was going to happen before hand then why would you be filled with so much dread? I pondered on the thought while I sobbed for my friend. She looked at me; you could see the insanity in her eyes. She whispered in my ear, “I’ve finished Emily off she was getting annoying. Now your next.” She held up a

My favorite mystery short story I have read is "The Pit and the Pendulum" because at the end of the story you think he will die but then he is saved. The author made the story so suspenseful I couldn't stand what was going to happen next! Now here is my first part of my mystery story.

One gloomy Monday morning a old man was walking home from his Multi-billion business. He saw a man being stabbed by a young man. He called the police and the young man was but in prison for 5 years.....

Article posted November 12, 2011 at 03:48 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

I don't read mysteries, but I think "Sherlock Holmes and The Adventure of The Speckled Band".I came to like the Sherlock Holmes series in the mystery unit. This one was the best because it had the most adventure out of the ones I read.

"Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving"

One day a kid gets home from school and he hears a scream and his dad runs to him from the kitchen. His dad grabs him and falls to reveal a 10" cooking knife buried in his back. The kid runs to the kitchen and sees no evidence anyone was there except his dad's blood trail...

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 01:02 AM GMT • comment • Reads 65

The best mystery I’ve ever read is The Face on the Milk Carton. I like this one because it was scary and really fun to read at the same time. It is also sad too. The author did well on directing the story. She also had some really good word choice. I also loved it because it was funny and romantic.

On a hot summer morning there were five children playing at the park. But it all started when the first child disappeared. The family was desperate to find her. She was nowhere in sight. Then an hour later two other children disappeared.  There were two children left and they saw a shadow 10 yards away.  

The best mystery story that I have ever read would have to be "The Christopher Killer." I think the author did a VERY good jobat writing this book.

A good mystery starter in my opinion would be this: It finally started looking up for me in terms of life. Then I got the phone call.

Tell me what you think of this and give me your thoughts on this mystery starter. Thank you.

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 02:04 AM GMT • comment • Reads 48

The best mystery I ever read was, "Sherlock Holmes and The Speckled Band." This is my favorite because I don’t normally read mysteries. Since I am not familiar with mysteries I just chose the first one that came to my head. I also thought that this story was the best out of all of the mysteries I have ever read because, I like all of the suspense and the way Holmes is so mysterious. I like how he keeps you reading until you are satisfied with the ending.

I think that the best beginning for a mystery would be…….

It was pitch black. I knew I had to get out of there. There was only one way in and out. I kept hearing strange noises. No doubt they were trying to torture me out of my mind. I had been a day since I had gone into this dreadful cottage. On the outside, a friendly looking vacation home made out of ginger bread and candy. Now, a damp dark prison in which I was now being held. I had to get out of here. I was slowly going insane. I knew that there was a witch outside my cellar. I could hear my brother scream as her wicked hands enveloped him. I kept trying to remember how I got here, but with the fear that I would meet my brother’s same fate, it wasn’t so easy. I couldn’t really tell if my brother’s life was ended or not, but I had to get out of here. It was a while until I heard an eerie voice break the silence. The witch! She sang a dreadful little tune to herself,

The stove is hot and as is the pot,

The girl is fat and the stew is tasty,

She is the final ingredient,

I will add her to the stew,

Then I shall dine upon her flesh.

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 01:23 AM GMT • comment • Reads 66

The best mystery that I have ever read is the " Skinwalkers". Its a very scary murder mystery about the Navajo changelings. The author cited many geological facts to make it feel very realistic.

My short mystery starter:

On a dark, gloomy night, I was strolling down Conneticut Avenue.

I heard a sound similar to a hungry lion, munching on a fresh kill, but it sounded a lot louder. Suddenly, a long yell echoed down a alley way.

THE END! FOR NOW!!

The best mystery that I have read would be “ The Oblong Crate”. I like this mystery because the writer kept you guessing what was in the crate. When he came up with an explanation it seemed like it could be the answer but when it wasn’t you wanted to know what it was.

My story starter: Ahhhhh! When 13 year old Julia went into her room it had been trashed.  Her computer and television was gone! Her mom walked in and then said she would call the cops. When they arrived they asked her mom a lot of questions. It did not help them any because they found out that she had an alibi, she had been at work all day with many witnesses. They did get one clue though. There was squashed mud with a perfect boot print. The person had left in hurry not to cover up their tracks. 

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 01:32 AM GMT • comment • Reads 54

The best mystery story that I read was 39 clues: The Maze of Bones. I really enjoyed the idea of the book because they based it off real life and real places. Throughout the book, there is a huge conflict and a bunch of action.

My idea of a mystery story starter:

The very intelligent man, Elijah Johnson received a call from a very worried man saying that he needed help with a case at this amusement park. The man never really said his name but he figured he’d help him. Mr. Johnson called the man back; he answered the phone and said,” Jimmy World’s Amusement Park, owner speaking.” Mr. Johnson answered,” Hello this is Elijah Johnson, former detective, I am interested in this job, would you bother telling me your name?” The man responded, “I’m Jimmy and if you go my park I will give you more information.” Mr. Johnson said okay then hung up the phone and drove to the amusement park. Once he got there he was greeted by Jimmy and got strait to the problem. “Yesterday, I was just having a normal day when suddenly one of my rides fell to pieces. After treating various guest and sending the injured ones to a hospital, I noticed that there was a wrench and some fell off bolts by the ride. I assume someone must have screwed off the bolts.” He walked Mr. Johnson over to the ride where there stood the fallen down ride. After investigating for various minutes, he noticed a giant wooden roller coaster. Suddenly, it crumbled to pieces before his very eyes. “This is going to be a long mystery,” muttered Mr. Johnson.

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 12:08 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

The best mystery I read was Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz for many reasons. First, I thought it was very action packed. I like action mystery spy novels. Then, I thought that the mystery was good because it was difficult to tell what the villain's ultimate goal was. That made the story quite intriguing . In other mysteries you know what the crime was but they solve for the villain. In this one you know the villain but you don’t know the crime. Finally, I like the epic-ness in the series that makes the story awesome. Those are a few reasons I like Stormbreaker as my favorite mystery.

Now I shall write a beginning to a mystery.

It was a warm sunny day in Brooklyn.  Andrew was walking down the sidewalk and a man walked hurriedly past him. Andrew studied the bloody footprints the man left behind him. The footprints trailed into a dark alley 2 blocks away . There the footprints led into a pool of blood. Andrew looked up and saw a body leaning over the fire escape dripping blood forming a big, bloody puddle. Andrew also saw a bloody baton lying to the side of the pool of the hideously red liquid. Suddenly, Andrew recalled seeing blood on the man’s hands.  Andrew quickly knew what to do. He ran back home to ...??? Thus the mystery begins.   

Article posted November 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

The best mystery I’ve ever read is definitely And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. I thought that the idea of having ten apparently innocent people with one murderer amongst them was pretty cool. The ending was also an awesome part of the mystery, but I won’t share that because it would spoil the book! Here’s an introduction to a story that I think would make a perfect mystery:

It was nearly midnight and the fog still hadn’t lifted. Detective Richard Hill and his companion, Eli Lawton were stalking through the open-roofed dockyards in London, England. The case of the disappearance of Sir John Channey still hadn’t been solved, and the pair was hard at work to find him. Carefully following a trail of clues, the detectives could feel they were at the end of the mystery. After hours of investigating the dockyard, the two men came upon what they were looking for. In a corner of the dreary place lay the limp body of none other than Sir Channey. Richard Hill immediately knelt down next to the corpse and pulled out his investigation tools.

“Well, are you coming to help?” inquired Richard.

“Pardon me detective, but this case ends here” said a calm voice behind him. Detective Richard Hill swiveled around, only to find the nozzle of a pistol centered on his head. The detective barely had the time to identify the pistol before the strange person pulled the trigger. The shot rang through the dock, scaring birds away from their resting places. Only a day later was the poor detective’s body found by a worker, a pistol bullet embedded in his skull.

Article posted November 30, 2011 at 01:45 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

The best Mystery I have ever read is "The Speckled Band" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I like it because it was the first mystery story I read. Also, it keeps you wondering how to solve the story. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did a great job with all the Sherlock Holmes stories.

I think a good mystery starter would be: One foggy day a tall, skinny women with long nails that were black, was suspected for kidnapping children.

The best mystery I have ever read….. hmmmmm. I don't have one favorite mystery, I have too many mysteries I like... A few are:

1. Sherlock Holmes

2. Nancy Drew

3. Hardy Boys

That's pretty much it....

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 02:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

The best mystery I have ever read is "The Pit and the Pendulum" by Edgar Allan Poe. It isn’t as much a mystery as the others, but it is very suspenseful. I haven’t really read mysteries before though, so that would have to be my favorite one. I like it because there’s a lot of suspense and you never know what’s going to happen. 

I think a good mystery starter would be:

Mr. Ethan Richardson was rich. Not your typical rich were you have a million or so, but he had billions of dollars. He was the richest man on Earth- that was until one fateful night where everything changed.

There are two cool stories in the mystery unit. They are the 3 Scary Stories and "The Speckled Band". The authors did very well for mystery stories because they freaked you out.

My mystery story starts out like this:

Once there was a haunted school where ghosts killed people who came in those school. Investigators came to check it out but nothing would be there. When they left the ghosts would start killing again...

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 11:09 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 70

I never really read mysteries in my spare time. I usually lean towards action or humorous type books. But ever since I have read some of the mystery books Mrs. L selected I have really been intrigued. My favorite mystery would have to be "The Speckled Band”. It kept me wondering the whole time. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle really did a good job of hiding the answer from you the whole time too. If I were to write my own mystery it would start like this-

I was on my way to swimming with my friend’s dad. My friends dad had an always been good friends with the owner of Rampart. That is where I go to swim. When we were arriving at the school, we were both shocked to see the police investigating a dead body near the entrance. We ran out of the car and talked to the sobbing swim coach next to the police cars. She explained what had happened. She just got in the pool to test the water temperature when she noticed the dead body lying face up at the bottom of the pool. As soon as she saw it she called the cops. Nobody has any idea of what happened. But I have my own ideas.

Article posted November 14, 2011 at 03:34 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

The best mystery I’ve ever read was the story called, The Valley of Death. I liked this story because the author did a great job hiding the little clues that give the story away. He also made each character a very different personality. I think this story is the best because it’s about a foster family, and the foster kid changes a lot. The foster kid is also hiding a big secret, and that secret got the main character’s sister kidnapped. The author did a very good job at hiding her secret, but also dropped hints of what the foster kid was hiding. I think a good short story starter would be,

“I see the target, I’m closing in on it, someone is with him” this guy is a deadly weapon, impossible to trick, impossible to see, impossible to hear, impossible to escape. He’s got a 7 inch dagger in his boot, a pistol in his coat, a rifle at his back, and a fist like rocket. “I’m going for the guard first, then the target. They won’t escape.”

Article posted November 17, 2011 at 12:50 AM GMT • comment • Reads 42

The best mystery I have read was “The Speckled Band” I like it because Sir Arthur Doyle Had the answer hided. Also I liked how in The Speckled Band it was so good I read it a second time.

Here is my story.....

One day Bob was working on a cure for h2n2. He would be at the lab all night but every morning the Bob’s assistant would find him on the ground with his clothes ripped and the lab smashed.

Article posted November 11, 2011 at 02:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

The best mystery story that I have read was “The Pit and the Pendulum.” What Edgar Allan Poe did best was keeping it a mystery. There were many unpredictable changes in this story. Another thing that he did well was the suspense of the mystery. He gets an encore for that. This was the best story for the mystery.

Here is the starter for my mystery: I sent Catie ahead because I forgot my stuff at work. Being only 12 we stick together so she was going to wait for me at the river. While I’m walking out the door I run down to the river. She wasn’t there so I kept going thinking that Catie forgot and already headed home. On my way home I kept thinking this is weird of her because she is scared easily. Once I got home she was nowhere to be found. Searching high and low she was nowhere to be seen! After that I went straight to the police. Catie was reported missing. Two days later she still wasn’t found and was considered MIA and kidnapped. Here in Africa this is very common. The police weren’t going to help since they already had 12 other cases that were exactly the same. This means that I have to step up and search for her and I know this is the 13 case, hopefully it will be unlucky for the kidnapper who had the nerve to take away my friend.

Article posted November 10, 2011 at 11:57 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 75

I think the best mystery story I've read is the "Speckled Band." I think the author did well was making the reader think hard about what it might be.

On the last day of school every kid was excited for summer, they had one more minuet left till the bell would ring rriinng. Every kid ran through the hall bursting with joy until the got to the doors and noticed they couldn't get out and the windows were locked and can't break. Some students started to freak out but they noticed the teachers had stayed strangelly calm everyone was curouse to what was going on.+

The best mystery book I have ever read was "The Oblong Crate" by Edgar Allen Poe. It was a really wierd book and I really enjoyed it. It kept you guessing and it had a pretty cool ending.

My short mystery starter is going to be the sentence after this one. "It was a cool morning with a summer breeze when all of a sudden, aliens came down to Earth and put viruses in our ears while we were sleeping(duh duh duh),then they left.

Article posted November 10, 2011 at 12:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 54

The best mystery that I have read was The "Pit and The Pendulum" by Edgar Allan Poe. I liked this book because it was so suspenseful and it made me all sweaty (of course I'm being sarcastic). Another thing that I liked about this book was that it was so mysterious, it made me wonder what would happen next. It made me want to keep reading.

I would like to write a mystery like that, but I am not a mystery writer, so I may want to write a humorous mystery, or a not a VERY suspenseful mystery. I want to write a mystery that draws attention, so it must have some suspense. I think my story will start out kind of like this:

Down in my basement is a leprechaun. I shake with fear whenever I hear it. Of course, I have never seen a real leprechaun before, but I have the proof all in here. Whenever I come back to the main floor from the basement, I always look around.

When I was going to the famous detective yesterday…

How is it? Needs something more? Leave your thinking in the coments.

One of the bests mysteries I have ever read was probably Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning. The author Lemony Snicket made it to where after every chapter you would want to keep reading and you would always be at the edge of your seat. I just loved this story, because you never knew what was going to happen after.

Johnny runs out of the room. Sara follows. She is following Johnny to figure out what is going to happen to their relationship, but when she turns the cornera creature pops out and drags her against the floor of the hotel. While she is being dragged on the floor she yells "Johnny help me! Johnny!" Johnny hears her cries and starts running in the direction he heard them. But, when he turns the exact  same corner she did he gets dragged against the hotel floor, too. He tires fighting back but the creature's grip gets tighter and tighter. Finally, he is knocked unconscious by hitting his head on some stairs. When he finally reaches consciousness he finds himself in a medal chair next to Sara in a dark room regretting what he said.

Article posted November 9, 2011 at 02:39 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

The best mystery I ever read was The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman. I think of it as the best mystery I ever read, probably because it was one of the few mysteries I ever read. I also think it was entertaining because it kept me reading and usually I stop reading after I’m about half way through the book. Another thing that I liked about this book was that it wasn’t just a mystery it was an adventure, and I rather read an adventure than a mystery. I liked the way that the author developed the characters because it gave me a good sense of who they were, their lives as teenager, their struggles, and their adventures at the repository. If I had to write the beginning of a mystery I would begin it like this. I was sitting in the living room and the wind was howling outside. My parent weren’t home, and I was about to go over to my neighbor’s house to hang out with my friend because I didn’t want to be alone. When, out of nowhere, I heard a thud. I decided I would be brave, and I went upstairs to find my favorite stuffed bunny’s head missing. Attached to the bunny was a note that said, “I got the BUNNY …”.Do you think that this will make a good mystery?

I read this book it was about a man that soled this crime his name was Sherlock Homes. It is also about this man that is a man name is Dr. Watson he is Sherlock Homes side kick they work together with there friend ship they solve the mystery.

The best mystery series I have ever read was the Hardy Boys. The books are interesting to me and the author creates wonderful stories to read. Stories like the Hardy Boys are very repetitive by the brothers not dying, but other than that the books are well.

A great example of a beginning to a mystery story is:

As the thief sneaks into the museum, the alarm goes off! Stealthily the robber grabs his prize, a twenty-four karat gold ring, and dashes out the now broken window. As the cops look for the thief, the thief is long gone and was never to be found.

Article posted November 10, 2011 at 12:01 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

The best mystery I've read is "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle because the speckled band actually was a snake. It's the best mystery because Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was descriptive and had unexpected twists such as when Dr. Roylott's plan back fired on him.  His plan was to kill Helen with the snake, but the snake ended up killing him!  I did not expected something like that to happen.  It is also a lot better than The Adventure of Priory School.

Here is my story starter...

Bob was doing his normal evening walk when all of the sudden something had him by his neck. He couldn't breathe! He tried calling for help, but all that come out of his mouth were high pitched screeches.  Then he died.

Article posted November 14, 2011 at 12:28 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 44

The best mystery I have ever read was “The Speckled Band”. This mystery kept me guessing until the very end. Plus, Sherlock Holmes is one my favorite characters. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle did an explicit job of giving away evidence. The truth is though; I think Sherlock was the only one who picked up on these clues. It was astounding how Sir Arthur’s character picked up on these clues. Plus, I learned new vocabulary and it was a fun read.

“Pump, pump, pump it up! Yeah, yeah, yeah!” rang my sister. It was just another boring day in suburbia. Every day it was like this: Carrie, my sister gets up, she blasts her lame music, and then wakes me up by singing along obnoxiously.

I quickly rushed downstairs to eat my breakfast. Half way through my strawberry pop tarts, I realized my parents weren’t here. I quickly became circumspect. Suddenly, I heard “Beware Adam Wychovsert, you have been  cursed!”

Article posted November 12, 2011 at 01:19 AM GMT • comment • Reads 54

The best mystery story I ever read was called “Time Stops For No Mouse” because of all the little clues it gives you in every chapter that you don’t notice but all the clues match the person who did it. Its also the best mystery book I’ve ever read because the author waits for the perfect time to release all the suspense.

Cole, Megan, Billy, Autumn, Jamie, Nick, and Dean were each others best friends. One night they all decided they wanted to go camping with each other as a drama get away. On the day they were suppose to come home they started packing up ,but just then they heard this weird growl. They all decided to go see what it was ,as they got to where the growl they heard was it was nothing but a tape recorder. After that they decided to go back to their camp ,but when they got there all there supplies were gone. They just vanished and the only way they could get home was by a compass which was gone.

The best mystery book (or book series) of all time would have to be the Sherlock Holmes stories. They are all surprising and detailed, plus, you can make pretty good stories based on them. The one I like the most would be "The Speckled Band". I read it for the first time in 4th grade for a school project. I haven't read many others since, but from the ones I have read, they are a a really good series.

For the mystery story in language arts, I am making a 'Kerlock Holms' story that is pretty good. I think it has a good base for it, that can be changed into numerous outcomes. First of all, Kerlock finds out that there is a zombie in England. Then, he finds out that there is a zombie scientist who went to the same high school as the victim. Surprisingly, the zombie scientist dies, therefore eliminating the prime suspect. From there, you can make anything happen. You can a great story out of that. That's why Sherlock Holmes books are so good, they can give you ideas for a great story.

My favorite mystery so far is “The Speckled Band”. It was cool because it was about a snake but you don’t know that until the end.

Here’s my story starter: Jon was walking in the forest when he saw Man Bear Pig eating Bradly.