Poets can make there poems better by adding more sensory details. The sensory details can make a better image to the poem.Also, if a poet can put a lot of emotion into a story, the reader can connect to the poem more. For example, most kids could connect to a poem about school. If the poem talked about loads of home work, and nasty cafteria food, then the reader would connect in a way that makes you laugh.

Recently, I had to pick out a poem for the poem presentation. My poem was "What if we were Alone" by Will Stafford. To me, the poem was meaningful about; What if we were alone and what if there weren’t any stars? The tools my poet used are repetition and personification to make the “What if?” questions stand out and to tell us that we’re truly not alone. It helps the poet express himself giving us a moral.

Article posted February 13, 2012 at 06:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Poets use many “tools” for the poem. There really deep feeling, how they feel, even what’s happening to their life events. Some of the poems are the poets like story, put in a song or just in regular words. The other “tools” are, rhyme, rhythm, repetition metaphor, imagery, and ect. (That’s mostly what they use for there poem)

"Deep In Earth" by Edgar Allan

poe, is an example of a deep feeling poem and what happened in there life, about he feels about his wife death.

Article posted February 7, 2012 at 01:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Every poet has their special effect that they use often. For example, Shel Silverstein uses rhymes and rythem. Sometimes poets create pictures with their poems to catch the readers eye. Others color coat their poems. There are many "tools" as we call them such as personification, onomonopia, alliteration, assonance, hyperboles, metaphors, similies, and many more.

Poetry affects us in so many ways through "poetic effects." These effects can only be conveyed through words, so poets arrange words carefully so as to create not only a mood, but a message. Individual words can create happiness, sadness, anger, or a range of other emotions. Certain techniques can be used to arrange these words in a way that will create better understanding. For instance, a poem with rhyme and an upbeat rhythm will seldom be used persuasively or to show anger. These devices can make memorable poetry for any purpose. For example, in the poem "In Back of the Real", Allen Ginsberg uses words like desolate, dread, and ugly to describe a mood that is definitely not a happy one.

This topic is interesting. See different poets use different ways of writing to get their message to you. Some use a lot of words to describe something where others might use more pictures than words and briefly describe with words. Other poets just write small poems and that is just fine. I think I prefer to read the poems that are short and have some pictures. In a poem I look for imaging that creates colors in your head. Like in a poem by Edgar Allen Poe there is a line that says "fairy fruits and flowers." That makes be think of bright colors and my imagination does the rest. That is what I think makes a good poem.

Article posted January 29, 2012 at 02:57 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Poets could use many literary terms to make the poem worth a lot. I enjoy poems with imagery, which is when poets use words that appeal to our five senses. I think imagery is important because then the readers could picture what the poet is trying to say. If the poem is trying to tell you how to be a role model, then you could picture how respected you would be. For example, if the line says, “The meadow was very magical, with the green grass, and the sun beaming on it." You could imagine a very beautiful image of a meadow in your head. Imagery is definitely one tool poets use to both entertain and motivate the reader.

"A poem begins in delight and ends in wisdom."

-Robert Frost

I think that this is a very true statement. Some poems change how you think, or see the world, while others can be entertaining or even inspire you to do something. Most people don't believe that words can have power, when, in some cases, they are the most powerful thing in the world.

Article posted January 27, 2012 at 04:00 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Poets use a lot of things in their poetry to get the readers attention. They use things like similes. They also try to detail their poetry to try to get the reader to use their five senses(sight, smell, hearing,taste, and feeling). When the poet gets the reader to use their five senses the reader becomes hooked on the poem and reads it over and over. Things like "The dew smelled wet and fresh as my shoes got soaked because I walked through the fresh cut grass" gets the readers attention. Once the reader has read the poem so many times they will finally realize what it means and it can impact them and their world.

Some tools that poets use are rhyming and rhythm. Without rhyming and rhythm a poem is not poem!! I makes the poem flow and sound good. A funny poem, like a Limerick, has a certain rhythm and length to it. However, a haiku is always the same. That is my view on poetic effects.

Article posted January 28, 2012 at 03:27 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

Some tools poets use to create effect in their writing are the emotional and personal experiences in their lives. Emotions are expressed in their poetry which makes it heart felt to their readers. Some poems are based off their personal experiences, therefore, readers are able to connect with the author. Some of the best written poems are from the author's tragic and happiest times in their life.

Article posted January 26, 2012 at 01:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Some of the “tools” that poets use to create effect in their writing would be tone, which expresses the writers attitude toward his/her subject. Maybe, imagery which consists of words that appeal to a reader’s five senses. Also others like similes, metaphors etc. In my poem "Blackberrying" Crescent DragonWagon, she expresses her and whoever she was with picking blueberries. She stated," Catching at us, scratching (and we got mosquito bites to). Obviously, she was saying it was fun but it was a bit itchy!!

Ok, so some tools that poets use would be their own personal experiences. Since I am a poet writer, this is something I can relate to. I write my poems based on my life and the feelings that I am feeling at that moment. other poems, like narrative poems, are based off of stories they might have heard or maybe even made up themselves. others tools would be what they want to reflect back to the reader. if the writer wants the poem to sound funny and make the readers laugh and have fun with the poem, then they have to think about what they would write in order for this to happen. as a person who likes to write and read poetry as much as I do, this subject was easy for me a little bit, and it also got me thinking of ways to make my poems more interesting and giving the feelings that I want a crossed to readers. some examples of a poem would be a line from the poem Sarah Stout Would Not Take The Garbage Out. That poem might exaggerate the consequences of not taking the garbage out, but it does get the point of how important taking the garbage out is.

Poets use many tools in writing. Rhyme is a tool used in poetry. It is where the poet uses two words with the same ending sound, this makes the poem easier to understand and more entertaining for the reader. This is just one example of the tools that poets use in poetry. Some examples are: The Cat in the Hat and Fifteen Men on the Dead Man's Chest.

Poets can use a variety of “tools” to create an effect in their writing. One of these tools is figurative language. There are my types of figurative language. An Example of figurative language is rhyming or simile.An example of rhyming is a poem is ,” There once was a big brown cat / That liked to eat a lot of mice./ He got all round and fat / Because they tasted so nice.” By anonymous Poets can use these things to create an effect in their writing that displays what they are trying to get across to the reader.

Article posted January 20, 2012 at 02:37 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I'm choosing #5- "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend."by: Martin Luther King, Jr. First, I think that this quote means that basicly you can't fight fire with fire. The only way to turn your enemy into your friend is with love and kindness, not with hate and anger. Then,how I can apply it to my own life is if I meet anyone that I strongly dislike and they strongly dislike me then don't be mean and hateful towards them but be kind and treat them with the same respect that I have for my friends. Also, how it can be used to make a positive change in someone's attitude is it could change the way that someone feels about someone they don't like and give them more patients and tolerance. Finally,how it can make an impact on the world is it can change the meaness that people have towards each other and can make the worst enemys the best of friends.I think that this was a great quote and I can apply it to my own life:)

Article posted January 26, 2012 at 01:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Some of the tools poets use in their writing is emphasis and feeling. Like how colors look different in somebody else's perspective. They take their opinions and thought into their writing and make it into poetry. It can also be used to express other things like hate and love. Some can be random. Many have to be explained to get what the poet is saying. Most are comical and annoying. They use new and weird words and some put normal words. Like "Jabberwocky" by Luis Carroll. He made up words that could be interpreted in different ways. Those are some of the things poets use.

Article posted February 29, 2012 at 12:47 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

“The farther backward you can look the farther forward you can see.”

Winston Churchill

You cannot turn back time, but you can look at memories.

You can predict the future, but you can’t predict what has past.

You can change the future, but when you look forward, all you can see is the day before tomorrow.

Article posted January 30, 2012 at 01:56 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Some tools that an author can use to create effect in their writing are language and style. Language creates effect because if they use boring language, their writing will be boring and make the reader less interested. They should use more complicated words to makes you think a little. Style creates effect because the style of the author's writing influences their writing. It can make the reader feel different emotions like being sad or happy after reading the author's work. For example, after reading "In Just" by E.E. Cummings, I felt happy because the poem was about spring time and it reminded me of how nice spring is.

When I read poetry, I find that each poem has a certain feel when you read it. The writer’s tone contributes to that immensely. Poets also use figurative language, puns, metaphors, similes, and many more of our “poetry terms” to give the poem a certain style. In addition, a poet might also use rhythm too create a certain effect for the poem. A sad or ominous poem might have a slower rhythm. On the other hand, a light and bouncy rhythm would be better for a happy or humorous poem. The poet has control of how the poem sounds and how it makes the reader feel. It’s the poetic effect!

Article posted March 12, 2012 at 04:45 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Poetic Effect

Some of the tools that poets use to create the effect of there poetry. These are some of the tools that they use rhyme, rhythem, and personification. These are olny some of the tools the they use to create the effect of the poetry. Everyone knows that these are not the tools that they use but these are the most common. There are probably a couple dozen other tool that poets use to wright poetry but like I said. These are only a few of the tools that they use.

Article posted January 29, 2012 at 02:11 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

The "tools" that are used to create effect in poet's writing are personification and tone. Personification is a tool because it makes things that don't usually have human qualities, have human qualities. It can make us see things in a different perspective. For example, if a poet made a poem about a flower that's personified, the flower would have human qualities. So if a person steps on the flower, the flower would be hurt and crying in the poem, so we would see things in the flower's perspective. Tone is another tool because tone is how the reader understands if the poem is sad, happy, or other moods. Tone is like how a person talks to you (annoyed, happy, sad, sarcastic), but the poem is talking. These are two examples of the "tools" poets use to create effects in poems.

I have never heard this quote before, but it is a very good one. I think that some of the “tools” that poets use to create effect in their writing are rhyme, rhythme, they express their feelings, put a lot of thought in their writing, they can be slow or upbeat, and many more things. These are some of the "tools" poets might use and there are many more out there.

There are many ideas of tools that poets use to their advantage in a poem. Sometimes I think that poets make poems that make you feel like your watching what happened in the poem. It's almost like you were there and saw everything in front of your own eyes. Another tool that I think poets have is putting so much emotion into it that it makes you feel a lot different. For example, if a poem is used with very sad words, it can maybe sometimes make tears come out of your eyes. But if a poem is very happy, then you feel like you have to tell everyone in the world how great of a poem it is and how happy it makes you feel. I think that these are some of the traits of a couple of the tools that poets use in their poems.

Poets use figurative language, onomonopoeia, personification, assonance, they also use tongue twisters. I sort of like tongue twisters. Thats what poets use for poetic effect. Onomonopoeia is like "buzz" and "zoom". An example of personification would be like in "The Giving Tree." They made the tree seem like a person.

In their writing poets use many tools. My favorites are rhyme and figurative language. I like rhyme because it's fun to hear and say. For example one of my favorite poets is Shel Silverstein. His poems are funny and they also have rhyming words. Another one of my favorites is alliteration. I like alliteration because it sounds cool and can also get people's attention. Tongue twisters are a form of alliteration and are very interesting. Personally I like to hear people say tongue twisters because it's funny because of how many times they make mistakes. I also like onomatopoeia because it describes sounds well. It creates a better picture of what's going on in the poem because I can hear what's going on.

I think that for me the most important element in poetry is rhythym. I think that rhythym is importannt because you get more of what the feel for the poem is because the rhythym is sort of like a song just with a deeper meaning.

I think another important element is rhyme because it makes the poems fun and more entertaining.

Some poets have the power to change the way people look at the world. Some have the power to entertain people when they read their poems. Others have the power to change and/ or influence our lives. Some might ask how they do it or why they do it. Personally I think they try to entertain people because they like to see people smile and laugh, but, when they try to change and/ or influence our lives I think it is to get them on their “side”. (Example: elections) I also think poets try to change the way we look at the world because they want us to see the brighter side of life and to not always look on the down side of everything. Some “tools” they might use to get any one of these things to happen are: experience, nature (they might look at something and write a poem on it), they could use facts to get our minds wrapped around the idea that [someone] is better, or they could use something silly like dreams to help them. All in all poets use many things to get us to do many different things.

Poets use literary devices and figurative language to get certain effects out of poems. A poet might use a literary device such as meter to give the poem an upbeat tone. A poet might use repetition to bring a little bit of seriousness to the poem. The poet could use figurative language such as an oxymoron to give the poem humor. Literary devices and figurative language could have many different effects on a poem. For example a simile could be serious or humorous.

Article posted February 3, 2012 at 03:32 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I think a poet can use alliteration, personification, metaphors, similes, and imagery to paint a picture in your mind. I think when a poetry uses these things you understand the posem better and can see everything in your mind. I think another great thing a poet can do is to just express themselves and let out all the anger in them and it can inspire amazing thoughts and create amazing poems. Using these tools can really make your poetry interesting!

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 11:45 PM GMT • comment (3) • Reads 36

Poets create different feelings and effects by using literary devices. When a poet uses onamotopeia, they are usually making a funny poem. When the poet uses ryhming, they could be making any kind of poem. The literary devices play a huge role in poems.

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 12:46 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 36

Poems are really eye-catching. They can change the way people look at things and it could be for good or bad. Anybody can write a poem it’s really simple, but the best tool that professional writers use is the imagination. Writers also use Rhyme, Rhythm, Stanzas, Similes, Metaphors, and much more. All these are important because it helps you make a nice clean organized poem.

Article posted February 9, 2012 at 12:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

Some tools that poets use in their poems to create effects could be beat, rythm, and expression. The beat could get someone excited about reading the poem or make them feel the sadness of the poem. Rythm makes poems fun to read because it gives you something to go along with, for example, if you have a poem and no words that ryme then it might not make it very fun to read. Expression gives poems excitment. When poets use expression it would make the reader use expression while reading it aloud.

Article posted January 31, 2012 at 05:21 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

There are many "tools" that poets use. For example, figurative language, simile, metaphors, personification, hyperbole. Each one of these figurative languages can create a different emotion and mood. Another one could be imagination. What I've realized is that a lot of poets like Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstien use imagination. Imagination can really make the story come alive and fun to read. There are a lot more "tools" but these were just two of them.

Article posted January 26, 2012 at 01:06 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

The poets add thier emotions and personal thoughts into their poems. They add what they think about what they see then add thier fuuny words and hard to understand meanings. Their "tools" are their are their fancy words and fancy meanings.( By fancy words I mean long and difficult to understand words and definitions)

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 01:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

There are many tools that poets use to have a special effect on their poem. Some of them may use emotion while others may use tone or a story. Emotion can be used to make the reader feel what the poet or character in the poem is feeling. Tone is also a big part in poetry because if the tone is very angry then the reader will likely read the poem as angry. In the "Highwayaman", when he is angry that Bess died the tone gets more angry and you read it as if you are angry.

Well, some things Robert Frost and other poems use in their poems are words that not many people know so you have to figure out what it means in the rest of the poem. They also use rhyming words, it is easier to sing along to. Poems are nice flowing off the tongue.

A tool I think poets use to create a poem is creativity. I think they use creativity because that is how they think of ideas to make their poems by being creative. Another tool they use is rhythm. I think poets use rhythm because when the poet is writing they have to get into a flow that helps them think of what to write. The last tool I think poets use is emotion. In every poem there is some sort of emotion happy, sad, mad etc.

In my poem my poet shows the emotion of friendship.

My poem is The Perfect Friend By: Shannen Wrass

Some poets use humor to make their poems funny. Other poets could use serious things. Most things I see though in a poem is rhyming. They also could use drawing or paintings to tell the story. Shel Sivertine uses humor in his poems to make the reader interested to read another one,

Poets use many tools to make great poems. They'll use history and fantasy, literary devices, and good vocab. Poets use onomatopeia, rhyme, rythm, and more. There are so many literary devices that poets use. In "Ego-Tripping" by Nikki Giovanni, she uses free verse, so there's not very much rhyming.They all combine to make a good poem.

Poets use many tools to create effect in their writing. I think one tool poets use is experiences in their life. Many poets uses this tool to express their feelings and events that are happening in their life. One thing ,I think,they write about is their sadness. For example people go through hard time and they don't know how to get it out, so they write a poem about it."I had been hungry all the years" poem by Emily Dickinson Shows how hungry she was. The lines " The plenty hurt me, ‘twas so new,

Myself felt ill and odd," show how hurt she is from her hunger.

Poems can be very entertaining and noticeable. Some tools that poets use to create effect in their poems are rhyme, word choice, and rhythm. These tools are very helpful in making a good poem. They help keep your poem neat and organized. For instance, rhythm keeps a steady beat wich gives the poem an organized sound. Word choice is very important, because it is the foundation of the meaning of the poem. Rhyme helps keep a good beat too. One poem that has a lot of rhyme in it is: "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take The Garbage Out" by Shel Silverstein. This poem was very interesting because it used rhyme to descibe the large pile of garbage. Those are just some of the tools used in creating poetic effect, and keeping it.

Article posted January 28, 2012 at 02:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

I think that most poets use rhyme to make their poems more catchy and interesting.  Rhyme also helps people who read the poem remember it.  Imagery helps people paint a picture in their mind, and if it's a good picture, then they will remember it. I think that by saying, "a poem "begins in delight and ends in wisdom." Robert Frost means that we can really learn things from poems. We can learn things from poems yet they were also meant to please.

Article posted January 29, 2012 at 02:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Some "tools" that poets use are things that have happened to them. For example, if a poet once went camping and they enjoyed it very much, they might be influenced by their experience. Another "tool" a poet might use are their emotions. For example, if a poet has had a bad experience they might write about their feelings and talk about either being sad or angry. An example is Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss, because it shows lots of excitement and joy. We have been talking about rhyming schemes in stories and how the can show the feelings a poet could have or the story could have.

Article posted January 26, 2012 at 01:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

There are a few tools poets use to create an effect. One is tone, the words that you use. Some words can make you happy while others can show anger. Another tool is what kind of rhythm they make. For example if all the lines rhyme or just some. One last thing is sentence length. The longer the lines the more dramatic it seems. The shorter the lines the happier it seems. Those are just some of the many tools poets use. In "The Charge of the Light Brigade," Tennyson had ends of lines rhyming he had a wide range of vocab.

Poetry can change our emotions and the way we see the world. The poet uses tools to do this. Some of the tools poets use to do this are suspense. Suspense can create the poetry piece more interesting to read. For example, a mystery poem will keep the reader wondering and wondering. The poem, The Highway Man, keeps you wondering even once the poem is done. Another tool is the type of poetry. For example, limericks make you happy while scary poems make you scared and have bumps on your arms. All in all, the poet can truly get his/her point out and really touch the reader.

Some of the tools poets use are figurative language, rhythm, and the tone of the poem. Figuritive language refers to similes, metaphors, symbols, allusions, imagery, irony, etc.; the poet might paint a picture in your mind using figurative language. The rhythm is the flow of the poem. Take "The Highway Man" for example, it has a specific rhythm that makes your voice go up and down creating a better flow. The tone of the poem is how the words create the mood that you sense. Say a poem is happy, you will normally recite it in an elated tone. If the poem is depressing and horrible you would use a negative tone, or you wouldn’t read it at all. These tools are quintessential to make a good poem.

Article posted February 14, 2012 at 04:53 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Poetic “tools” are use to make the readers see and imagine things wail they’re reading. Some poetic tools are personification and rhyme. Personification is when the writer gives a nonhuman thing human like abilities. For example, a poet may use a pencil in his poem and say it danced across the paper but pencils cannot dance he/she just makes it seem that way. Rhyme is a poetic “tool” that entertains and keeps the reader interested. Rhyme is when the end of two words that sound the same. For example, “The Cat in the Hat” is a rhyming poem. Poetic “tools” are very important to a poem because without them poetry would be boring and dull.

Article posted January 27, 2012 at 04:55 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

Some things poets use to convey a meaning or image in their pieces are called literary devices. For example, rhyme, similes, and repetition may all be used in a poem. In the poem "The Highwayman" repetition is used to reinforce the graphicness of the end events. For example, in the lines "When they shot him down on the highway/Down like a dog on the highway" the repetition of "highway" helps convey where he is shot and how horrible it is. Not all poems use these devices, however. They can also simply use their rhythm to show emotions.

Article posted February 10, 2012 at 05:36 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

Some of the "tools" that poets use to create effect in their writing are rhyming or free verse in order to make it clever and upbeat or just to get a point across. Another is personification to bring life to the poem like, the flowers beside them chill and shiver. Dr.Suss used a lot of rhyming and I was clever and sometimes made his own words.

Some things that poets can use to create effects in their writing are emotion, sound devices, and word choice. Emotion helps create effects by setting a mood for the reader. A poem filled with emotion will mean more than a poem that is boring and dull. Sound devices can create enjoyment for the reader, with methods such as rhyming and alliteration, the poems are more fun to read. A lot of children's poems, especially Dr. Seuss, have sound devices. Finally, word choice can make a poem sound better, and sometimes words are more fun than others making the poem enjoyable.

Article posted January 31, 2012 at 03:28 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

Poets use a lot of tools to play with our emotions. Settings and characters can also be a tool. Their main tool is words. They use words that show emotions and feelings. Also, they can use the feel of the words. For example, when if someone would like a sad mood they could use deep vowels like o's a lot. Another example is if the writer wants a happy vibe they can have lots of words ending in y's or i's the happy sounding vowels. An example of the poetry tools are The I Have a Dream Speech. Another example would be poems by Emerson. In all, poets have a lot of power with your emotions because of the tools they use.

Some tools that poets use are experiences. They use emotional and personal experiences from their lives. For example, if the poet's son or daughter has a bad dream, he will probably write about that. There are also personal experiences. If the poet gets in a car accident, he will probably write about the car accident. Some of the best poems are written from experiences. They also use sensory details.Those are the tools that writters and poets use.   

Article posted January 25, 2012 at 04:50 AM GMT • comment • Reads 42

Some tools that poets use to create effect in their writing are the literary devices, powerful words, and quotes that can change your life. The devices help people visualize the poem better. like in the poem "Jazz Makes me Sing" it helps you hear how the rhythme goes. a line in the poem goes "Blooblop deblee blooblop deblam". Even though the powerful words and quotes are put in different words, they are mostly the same. These words can both change people's lives because they may be very touching or very powerful to them. These are some tools that I think poets use when they create effect in writing.

Article posted January 27, 2012 at 02:59 AM GMT • comment • Reads 39

There are many “tools” that writers use to create effect in their writing. For example authors use imagery, repetition, and onomatopoeia to create an effect. Writers use imagery to alert your five senses. For example in Sarah Cynthia Silvia Stout would Not Take the Garbage Out, Shel Silverstein uses imagery to make the reader imagine all the piles of trash that are piled up in the house. To alert your sense of sight and smell, he describes “Blobs of gooey bubble gum” and “Chunks of sour cottage cheese”. Another tool that writers also use is repetition. Writers use repetition when they repeat words for emphasis. For example in the poem Casey At the Bat, the author uses repetition when he says “Casey, Mighty Casey “. He uses repetition to give emphasis on who is mighty. Lastly writers use onomatopoeia, that means to use words or words phrases and they echo there meaning. For example in some poems, authors might have to use words like bang, crash, buzz, etc. When you use words like that, it can create a sound in your head. These are some of that tools that poets use to crate effect in their writing and it can help you make a great poem.

Most poets probably get the effects for their pieces of work by planning and thinking. Also, some of the “tools” they use can be rhyme or maybe even personification. Some poets may even include both. However, rhyme can be more common in poetry than personification. Another, “tool” for poetic effects can be rhythm. Rhythm is just as common as rhyme and personification. An example of personification can be: The rat got up and walked out of the house. Other somewhat minor “tools” can be similes and metaphors or even onomatopoeias. An onomatopoeia is a word that means what its sound is. An example can be: Bang! Als, by somewhat, I mean they just aren’t used as much as other poetic “tools” can be. Anyway, there are other better “tools” to use, but these are maybe the less complex ones.

Poets use many tools of languages to help the reader get a picture of what the poem is talking about. When the reader see these images in his mind, he can better understand the poem. Poets use comparison tools such as similes and metaphors to suggest a likeness between one subject and another. They also use rhythm as a tool to give their work a definite beat. Some poets use onomatopoeic words to add impact to a poem. A word is onomatopoeic if the sound it makes when pronounced aloud resembles the actual sound the word is describing such as "crash," "ping" and "woof." Poets also use words to stimulate six senses: sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste. For example, "Vacuum cleaner’s whir and hum startles my ferret" (hearing).

These techniques add emphasis to certain meanings within the poem or help to construct interesting images. Poets use these tools to help reader understand their poems better.

Article posted January 30, 2012 at 01:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Poetry can have such an effect on people. They can have serious meanings or whimsical topics. Poets use many different tools and techniques to convey their message. They utilize so many literary devices in their works. Many poems have a rhyme scheme which will vary from poem to poem. Limericks will always have a pattern of “a,a,b,b,a” making them funny most of the time. Many funny poems will use alliteration to make some words sound fun to say. In Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout Would Not Take the Garbage Out, Shel Silverstein writes “black burned buttered toast” which makes me laugh. Loads of poems make use of repetition to emphasize a point in their work. The Charge of the Light Brigade repeats ““Forward the Light Brigade!”” to emphasize what the six hundred were doing.  Plus, there are different types of poems that use different shapes and rhyme patterns depending on the seriousness of the poem. Some serious poems will have a basic rhythm and rhyme so it is easier to pick up the point of the poem. A concrete poem has a shape to it, depending on the topic, to make it fun to read. Writers have so many choices when it comes to writing poetry and so many ways to make a point.

Article posted January 30, 2012 at 05:12 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Poets like to use different tools in each of their writing pieces. These tools can be used for emphasizing on something, or maybe to make the poem fun. One of these poetic tools is rhyme. Rhyme is where words at the end of a line have the same-sounded ending. It can make poems fun or just easier to understand. There is also alliteration. Alliteration is where the poet uses the same consonant sounds in words. This can emphasize on a certain topic the poet is talking about. There are also onomatopeias. Onomatopeias are words which are sounds too. For example, 'moo' is the word for the sound cows make. It sounds just like how cows make it sound. The point is, poets use many tools to change their poem into something meaningful, or just something silly. It may be as simple as rhyming 'cat' with 'hat', but it can really change the feel of a poem.

Article posted January 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Poems do change the way people think. For example, “The Black Cat” by Edgar Alan Poe made me extremely cautious whenever around cats. One of the tools that poets probably use to make you have some sort of emotional reaction is too leave questions. A poem that really makes you ponder what it meant is a good one. If Edgar Alan Poe left all the questions in his poems answered, he would not be as famous as he is today. Also, poets express extreme sadness, pain, or joy through their poems. The words that they use to describe their feelings are so powerful that it makes us fell what they are feeling. So, now that you know how a poet makes good poems, why don’t you go make one?

I believe the "tools" that good poets use are just using the right words to describe a situation. In the poem I'm learning, Henry Longfellow uses a lot of similes and resemblances of the situation. Because of this, I can picture the scene in my head and all the right details of people, things, and ideas. To write with a picture in your head also helps the readers to picture it. I think just using the right words and pictures in your mind help you put together a very good poem.

~~~Amanda