teacher: Derrall Garrison

Chapter Five -- The Path of the Penny

Abigail woke with a start. Her head jerked up and her green eyes popped wide open. She breathed short, shallow breaths and her chest heaved with every breath. “Why,” she wondered aloud, “Why can’t I control this with my powers?” She took a moment to breath. The earthy smell of pine trees lingered around her, making her dizzy and her eyesight blurry. She narrowed her eyebrows and promised to herself that she would never let that evil soul take over her body. She knew that the penny was evil, and she needed to destroy it. But what she didn’t know was that the penny couldn’t be destroyed, not now, not ever.

She used her hands and pushed herself shakily up until she was standing. Her legs wobbled as she walked, but she ignored it. All she cared about was getting rid of the penny. She marched over tree roots and under low bushes, hoping to find her sister behind very tree. She walked and walked and walked for an hour when she finally gave up. She sighed and leaned against a redwood tree, resting for a bit. She hung her head low, figuring that she would never see her sister Amber again. Her eyes got watery, but she held in the tears, trying to be brave. She didn’t want someone to see her crying like a baby. Suddenly, her penny started to glow. It didn’t burn like last time, or make her think weird thoughts. It simply glowed. The shadows of the trees disappeared, drowned out by the light of the penny. As Abigail watched the penny float through the forest, she became hypnotized by it. She followed it, weaving through the tall trees but never taking her eyes off the penny. It was as if the penny were some kind of magical element. Abigail’s eyes became focused on the penny as if it were the soul keeping her alive. She stumbled over the rocky soil but never took her eyes off the shining penny. Suddenly, she let out a shriek.

Article posted January 22, 2012 at 08:46 PM • comment • Reads 36 • see all articles