Article posted May 12, 2012 at 03:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 160

April 1861- Fort Sumter Attack

July 1861- First Battle of Bull Run

March 1862- Battle of the "Monitor" and the "Merrimac"

April 1862- The Battle of Shiloh

September 1862- Battle of Antietam

December 1862- Battle of Fredericksburg

July 1-3, 1863- Battle of Gettysburg

July 4, 1863- Battle of Vicksburg

May 1863- Battle of Chancellorsville

September 1863- Battle of Chickamauga

November 1863- Battle of Chattanooga

Article posted May 12, 2012 at 01:19 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I think only one good thing came from the sinking of the Titanic. People would be able to examine the ship. Whatever made it sink would've given the examiners clues. They could use this information and examination results to make better ships in the future.

Once we made better ships that were "unsinkable," travel would be safer for passengers. People might or might not be afraid of ship travelling after the Titanic. But I think that learning from shipbuilding mistakes would've at least encouraged them to put a little faith in ships. We have improved our ships ever since the Titanic sank.

Article posted May 12, 2012 at 01:16 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

The Virginia Company established two colonies. They were Popham Colony and Jamestown colony. Jamestown was located in Virginia. Popham Colony was located in Maine.

If I was King James I of England, I wouldn't have made the new colonies pay high taxes. I would've given them a little more freedom. They would have to pay taxes only for molasses and seasoning such as salt, pepper, and sugar. I would never send soldiers to control the settlers.

Article posted May 12, 2012 at 01:09 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Former presidents have been honored with statues, portraits, and holidays. People who have taken part in important events should be memorialized in some way. For example, signers of the Declaration of Independence and people who made important events happen.

Article posted May 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

I would celebrate by decorating the Empire State Building and throwing a huge party on the highest floor. Some of the events would include food all day, a dance, maybe a short video, and showing how to make a small model of the Empire State Building. I would invite all the important people such as the President, leaders of other countries, and all of my friends.

Article posted May 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

Introduction of Gherig:

An honorable baseball player will be leaving his team today due to a dreadful disease. He has led his team through some losses and multiple wins. We will greatly miss his enthusiastic presence on the team. Let's make this farewell one he will remember forever.

Article posted May 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

The Red Cross gathers donations and support to help injured people from around the world.

10 women of accomplishment:

1. Madam C.J. Walker

2. Hillary Clinton

3. Amelia Earhart

4. Frances Perkins

5. Joan Benoit

6. Kathryn Bigelow

7. Madeleine Albright

8. Manon Rheaume

9. Janet Guthrie

10. Alice Paul

Out of these ten women, I admire Amelia Earhart the most. She had the courage and skills to make the first solo transatlantic flight.

Memorial Day is celebrated in Louisiana by families visiting deceased members who died fighting for our country. Their graves are visited and some even place flowers or flags on them. It's treated as both a day of respect for American soldiers and as a day off from work.

I'm not sure if I would visit the leader of a hostile country to the United States. I would want to go to try to persuade the leader to strengthen the U.S.'s relationship with his country. At the same time, I wouldn't want to go. He/she might attempt to assassinate me.

Also, I would most likely feel unwelcome and awkward. Sitting with a really important person sounds nerveracking. However, if a meeting was what it took to strengthen our relationship with the leader's country, I would go. Either I would go or get somebody else to go for me.

Comparison:

-Both rode to warn that the British were coming

-They rode throughout the night

Contrast:

-Ludington's ride was twice as long as Paul Revere's

-Ludington's ride took place in New York

-Revere's ride took place in Massachusetts

-Ludington's ride took place two years after Revere's ride