teacher: Lisa Thomassen

Prometheus and Orpheus obviously thought before acting. I think the Prometheus would say that he did think before acting. He would say that he felt bad for man kind and that what he did was right. If man kind didn't have fire, their race would have been destroyed before you knew it. Prometheus would probably say that Zeus was the one that did not think. He would say that Zeus was the bad one.

A good persuasive speech topic would be whether or not we should have after school school. It is a good topic because although many people would shout, "NO! NO!", some of us would say, "I would looove to go!" Although, the majority of my fellow classmates would rather spend time on those stupid video games that ruin your brain and make you more stupid. I think that everybody should go to after school school. Many people are failing classes and need a better understanding of things. That's why I think this would be an excellent persuasive speech topic.

The top three priorities for the federal government to fund in the next fiscal year is 1st, education, 2nd healthcare, and 3rd, security. I think education is the MOST IMPORTANT THING!!!! United States is ranked 25th in education in the world. That is pretty bad. United States definitely could do better. Many kids are getting dropped out of high school and many other people don't even care about grades. Kids need a good education to get a good job and a comfortable life. Healthcare is getting way expensive and most of the people in America can't pay for that. If there is a major health issue in the family, they can't afford it. They can do nothing. They might borrow some money from another person, but then, they're in debt. Many people are becoming homeless and it's just way too much. Finally, we need better security. Many people get robbed or killed each year. Then, we have to pay a ton of money to get everything back the way we wanted it. These are three major problems the government needs to think about. If these things were fixed, our country would be a ton better.

Athletes like Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, and Roger Federer get lots of money during the year which they do deserve. Athletes do not get paid too much for what they do. They deserve what they get. Here are some reasons why athletes don't get paid too much.

Primarily, they work hard to get what they get. The athletes train so hard and it is very difficult to be a proffesional athlete. They do deserve the money. I can't just be a professional athlete. I need to work to be a professional athlete.

Also, athletes are just like actors. They do things to entertain us. If athletes are paid too much, then actors are paid too much. There's not a big difference between them. It's probably harder to be an athlete then an actor. Many people watch athletes for entertainment.

Lastly, if athletes didn't have a lot of money, there would not be any sponsors and they wouldn't be very famous. The fans are the ones who come and pay for watching them. That's how the athletes get money. Also, the athletes get paid for what they wear! If athletes didn't get the money they deserve, there would be no fans to watch them. It would be an empty stadium.

Athletes definitely deserve the money they get. If you don't agree, why don't you try to be a professional athlete and come talk to me when you do. Thank you.

The cause of World War 1 was that Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. The cause of The Battle of the Five Armies was that Bilbo killed the Goblin King. That is pretty similar. However, Franz Ferdinand was not a goblin. That would have been scary. I think that the imaginary war ended up better because it was a lot more fun to read. Also, there was more bloodshed in World War 1. I hate blood.

Article posted February 1, 2012 at 02:33 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

When you do something competitive, if you are confident you will win, you will most likely win. On the other hand, if you think you'll lose, you will most likely lose. Therefore, I agree with C.W. Longnecker's poem "The Victor." You should always be confident that you will succeed. Here's an example. Let's say you are in a soccer competition and the team you are playing is one of the best in the world and they get all the praises. Everybody loves them. The first thing that goes through your team's mind is, "Oh crap, we're going home." If you think that way, you won't perform to your best because you know they're probably going to win and you end up losing. However, if you think oppositely, "Oh boy! My favorite!", you will probably end up winning. But you can't just think it. You have to put in the effort. Why do the competition if you don't put in any effort? That's just plain stupid and idiotic. It's like going to Taco Bell and paying the money without any burrito. Finally, you need to think high. The poem says that you've got to think high to rise. I would change that and say that you need to think high to perform high. This is why I agree with the poem. You need to think a winner to be a winner.

Article posted January 21, 2012 at 02:14 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

We Are the World

Michael Jackson

There comes a time when we heed a certain call

When the world must come together as one

There are people dying

And its time to lend a hand to life

The greatest gift of all

We can't go on pretending day by day

That someone, somehow will soon make a change

We are all a part of Gods great big family

And the truth, you know,

Love is all we need

[Chorus]

We are the world, we are the children

We are the ones who make a brighter day

So lets start giving

There's a choice we're making

We're saving our own lives

Its true we'll make a better day

Just you and me

Send them your heart so they'll know that someone cares

And their lives will be stronger and free

As God has shown us by turning stones to bread

So we all must lend a helping hand

[Chorus]

When you're down and out, there seems no hope at all

But if you just believe there's no way we can fall

Let us realize that a change can only come

When we stand together as one

[Chorus: x2]

Text to Text:

This song reminds me of Martin Luther King Jr.'s famous speech, "I have a dream." Although it's not a song or a poem, I think it would count as something like a song or a poem. During that time, I'm pretty sure that Martin Luther King Jr. and many other people were going through a lot of difficulties and they wanted a change. Who wouldn't. I think that in this song, it was kind of a motivation factor for people to start helping and donating things. In Martin Luther King Jr.'s speech, he was motivating people to stand up for what was right.

Text to Self:

Usually, when I have hard times, I sulk and act like the world just ended. However, when I do that for a long enough time, I feel really stupid. How could I be sulking for a little thing when other people in Africa and Haiti are having a much harder time than me? I think to myself that I need to stop acting like this and continue with what is most important. The song is not just meant for people who are poor and desperately need help but also for people who need to change themselves.

Text to World:

This song was meant for Africa but it is also meant for other places that are in need such as the recent Japan earthquake and tsunami. It pretty much has the same meaning. We can all make a change in what we do. Our lives can suck and keep sucking or our lives can suck and then be amazing. It's all about how we change.

The thing that I wouldn't be able to live without is my family. My family is always there for me. They educate me, they feed me, they give me company, etc. If I didn't have them, I would be lost and wouldn't know where to go. I can feel why Scrooge would not like Christmas, because his family was probably gone when he was young and when it was Christmas time, he probably could only stay inside and do work with no presents. However, I disagree with Scrooge when he said that people could just sleep and live in prisons if they were poor, because he has a lot of money and they need that money. I would not be that stingy and mostly everybody wouldn't the that stingy.

Article posted November 15, 2011 at 12:24 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 32

I think that the perfect setting for a mysterious story would be a place where everything bad happens. It doesn't have to be gloomy or dark. Actually, that would be an even better story when everything is happy and colorful but bad things happen. That would be more of a mysterious thing. It could be weird, too, like the "Twilight Zone." The picture on the first page of the story is that the sky is all light and sunny but the bottom, where the house, is is dark. Also, most mysterious stories are when the place is dark. There should be a change in that and more imagination.

I think fear is something that can definitely control you. I used to be afraid of the dark and when my dad or mom asked me to go into the basement and fetch something, I would run down and run back up since it was so dark. I was also afraid of being alone someplace. If my parents and brother were upstairs and I was downstairs, I just couldn't handle it. I would run upstairs so I could have some company. Now, I don't care about these things. I am not really surprised that I did these things because everybody has these experiences. Young people don't really have much experience in life. If there's a scary movie, they think that it is real. They think that some scary dude is going to haunt everybody and kill everybody. Now, we know that a movie is just a movie. Fear mostly hinders people. It usually stops you from what you want to do. But it is also good for you because you mature as you grow older and older.