-

by teacher: Lisa Thomassen

Article posted April 18, 2012 at 02:59 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

I find that a good topic for a persuasive speech would be children and teens should be allowed to listen to music during school (as long as they pay attetion in class). Many types of music can stimulate learning and focus to education. Also-according to a recent poll I conducted- with a feeling of more freedom, 8 out of 10 teenagers will be more likely to complete other more important things than rebelling. I would like to hear a speech about some clubs and why we should join. I'm always looking for fun things to do!

Our U.S. government has many programs to fund. Many of these are very imporant to the people of the country and to the country itself. The top three most important of such programs are 1) education, 2) defense, and 3) social security. I think education should be the top priority because children are the next generation, and the world needs knowledgable people to keep the world turning. Defense should be second because it is very important to keep this country and all of her amazing belifs, freedom, and laws. Social security should be a priority because people pay a little of their pay check, each time they get one, to social security. All of the programs supported by the government are very important, but these are the most important.

Article posted April 4, 2012 at 03:27 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 35

Some time in our lives, everyone has seen some type of professional sports. We all hear about them on the news and how much they get paid. Some would say that they are paid what they're worth, but I say they are overpaid for what the contribute to the society. First, these "stars" just play a game. Sure it's entertaining, but it is "not nearly as needed as other occupations." Don't fans have anything better to do, anyway? Next, professional athletes are paid more than even the president of the U.S.A. Even the salaries of a teacher, a doctor, a firefighter, and a surgeon combined wouldn't amount to the large sum athletes are paid. Last, some teenagers find that a sport is an eaier way to get an amazing job, without all the work before-hand. Meaning teens WILL drop-out of school if they see the oppurtunity to get out of all the work and have some fun (and get paid for it). Maybe pro athletes are paid lots to keep them happy and away from other teams but that doesn't excuse the large sum of money being wasted on one individual. For many reasons, stated in this blog, pro athletes are paid WAY too much.

I used a quote from the passage: Do Professional Athletes Get Paid Too Much? by Justin Hjelm

If you were to read The Hobbit (specifically the chapter called "The Battle of the Five Armies") and you know a lot about World War 1, you can see slight similarities between certain groups. The Goblins and Worgs have some similarities to the German and Austrian armies. The way they started a fight before needed and such. America could correlate to the eagles because they charge into battle after it had started and troubles had come down upon the armies fighting for good. The French, Russian, and the United Kingdoms could be represented as the Elves, Lakemen, and Dwarves. Such similarities can easily be looked over, but they do exsist.

changes in my life

We sometimes say we need a change,

As a change is good as a rest

But often fail to ponder

If change is for the best.

When we feel change will do the trick

And it’s time for a change,

Do we really stop to think

And have a frank exchange?

For “change, for change’s sake” can mean

That, as our rooms have faded,

When we change the wallpaper,

The furniture looks jaded.

And if we change too many things

In way, or shape, or form

Then constant need to change occurs

And change becomes the norm.

And change becomes our mentor

As change succeeds each change

And every changeless constant

That stays unchanged seems strange.

And so, if you’re sore tempted

To spawn unneeded change,

Just change your mind and see that you

Don’t change it, for a change.

Ricky Baker

This reminds me of a story I once heard of (I can't exactly remember the name) where a boy finds a mand in the abandoned shed in the back of his new house. The boy had just undergone lots of change in example, places, friends, schools and others. He was frustrated with how this odd man acted and wanted to CHANGE him. Later in the story, the boy decided the man was allright the way he is and found he was an angle who took the boy to new heights in his life.

This brings up a good point to myself, too. I find that sometimes when nothing NEEDS to be changed someone will tell me to change something about myself or other things and guess what? I just change them.

This also brings up a good point for the world itself. We as humans and intelligent beings must fix any imperfection until they are completely PERFECT in every way and form. But isn't that against what everyone's been told since they were a child, that nothing can or will be perfect. And yet we always change everything!

Every single person on this planet has a hole in their sidewlak (or imperfection in themselves). For example my imperfection is just plain laziness. I can see what needs to be done, but I just don't want to do it. When I first got into this bad habit, I thought "why waste my time on this stuff when I could be having fun." After my mother and I started realizing the problem, I got a bit better. I don't know why I don't do my work, 'cause I'll sit down and start it feeling good about it, but then I just quit. I een understand the material being given, but I just start and never finish. I have a problem that needs to be fixed and I try, but I just can't ever keep convincing myself to finish. Sometimes I can finish because I think of how disappointed my parents always are when they recieve all these messages of "Your daughter is basically missing every assignment except for classwork e-mails." They do punish me. They threaten to make me quit band, forensics, take away my phone, and so on, but it just never gets through that ridiculously thick wall in my head that "Hey! everything I love doing is at stake here!" I mean the teachers give only reasonable amounts of homework, I mean at one point in elementary I got more, but I don't know how I can get motivated to just sit down and do what NEEDS to be done.

Article posted December 10, 2011 at 09:18 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

No matter what I say or do one important thing matters most... I know this sounds cheesy but I wouldn't be able to make it without friends or family. This differs from Scrooge's values in the begining because all he care about is money and wealth. After he had been convinced his values changed and influenced his life.

Article posted November 17, 2011 at 01:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 37

Nothing too see, no one to find. It's pitch black and I'm crying for help on an isolated cliff with only mistress death to accompany me.

I would think the best setting would be somewhere very isolated and quite eerie. There would have to be many mysterious, shadowy characters to accompany the idea of the place. Many twisted trees and dark, creepy creatures hunting in the night. A murder would have to take place given the nature of the setting. So the best mystery story would have to take place somewhere creepy or dark.

Various people have different reactions to diverse situations. Many adults' hands will get clammy or people will get jumpy. For me it's just a little bit of a different case. First, many people have fight or flight modes when they are surprised or scared. I am similar, but I also can freeze up under certain circumstances. Dpending on the situation I am put through, I will choose any of the three modes. My second reaction is lots of adrenaline. My heart starts pumping quite fast and I get very jumpy and sloppy on things that require focus. I would stumble on my own tongue and I am easily frightened by the littlest of things. Last, My focus just completely fails on anything but what is making me frightened at the moment. As an example, my house creaks a lot. But one day when I was home alone, it sounded like when my parents get out of bed on the weekends. Something fell off upstairs and so my mind thought that there could possibly be someone in the house. I went upstairs and checked everything out and didn't even notice my mom had called. So you can see, my reactions will problably vary from yours, but fear still affects me in very strong ways.

Article posted October 5, 2011 at 03:25 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

As we reach out to each other

We are all smiling, welcoming those who come

As we shoot for the stars

We catch all we are willing to

As we run the trail of life

We must hit the finish line running

So as not to dissapoint

All those who have reached out to us

All the stars we have caught

The cheering fans at the end

So we must reach

And when we reach,

We must shoot beyond the stars in the sky

To a better place

Where we all sit

Looking at life from a new perspective

In Language Arts we have recently been reading short stories by various authors. The story which happens to be my favorite is the story "Charles" by Shirley Jackson. First of all, the mother is quite gullable. Events occur that the mother doesn't think through. She doesn't think that Laurie might be lying when he tells her about Charles staying after school and everyone staying to watch him. Anyone can see that there is something wrong with that explanation. Many people can see that Laurie is being a brat most of the time, but his mother only corrects his grammar. Sooner or later people start refering to Charles when the make mistakes or are being unruly. When someone does a terrible thing they "did a Charles." Finally the mother meets the teacher at parent/teacher conferences. She sees the teacher and asks about Charles, and the teacher replies that there isn't a Charles in kindergarden. So you, the reader, find out that there really wasn't a Charles and that Laurie was really talking about himself. Now you see why I love the story Charles.

If I were an employer, would I hire myself? I'm not sure so let's look at the variables. I am hard working when I want to be. When my work decides the fate of the activities, time, and people I love, I will work hard and diligently. I wish so many things I admire would stay out of my mind while I work, but I find that impossible to do. If I can think only about the job at the moment, I could be the best worker I've ever had. I would love to have a job/carrer that I love and would start work right away. This would be a great thing to be hired for a job I love and would do. So, I problably wouldn't hire myself unless I know I would love the job.

Article posted August 25, 2011 at 04:09 PM GMT • comment • Reads 33

Are you asking me about school? Oh, I see. I admire and dislike school for many reasons.

First, you learn for a better future. Do you want to go to college. I bet not right now with all the drama in your life, but later you'll soon realize college is the difference from being rich and working two jobs at fast food restaraunts. Another is you want to be a millionair and not have to to worry about being behind on finacial difficulties, right? Well finish school and you'll have a higher chance of getting a job with better income and low hours. Or you could do something you actually want to do, for example some people want to teach or become stunt plane pilots. You have to have training to do basically everything there is to do. Take cooking for example, you can't just wing it or you'll burn yourself. So you learn for great reasons, right?

Except, there is a problem. Long class times and small teacher teams sometimes making learning difficult. Everyone knows about the hour long class lectures and you just fall asleep and if the teachers catch you, get ready for the storm. Large classes make learning near impossible because you don't get the individual help you need and deserve. How would you like to see the same exact people everyday? Most people get a varyation of teachers on a schedule, but on my team I see each person everyday (except my math teacher).

Finally, on a positive note, kids get to be themselves at school. Some people love to get to school and hang with friends all day, even if they can't talk. Teachers and councelors are also available for help and someone to talk to. People will be able to see YOU not the boy/girl behind the mask.

-Amamda M.