teacher: Lisa Thomassen

Article posted October 4, 2011 at 03:21 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 306

My favorite short story so far has been Charles. Charles was my favorite story because it was very ironic. I really liked the irony in the story because it gave the end of the story such a twist. Secondly I liked Charles because it was funny the things that Charles does brings a sense of humor into the story. All in all Charles was a very good short story

"Rikki-tikki-tavi" is a great story. One reason I like it is because it is like a clifthanger book all rapped in a short story. For example when Rikki-tikki is fighting Nags and the other snakes you want to just keep reading till you are done.  Another reason "Rikki-tikki-tavi" is my favorite story is because there is a lot of irony in it. An example of irony is when the bird starts singing Rikki-tikki's "death song" you know Rikki-tikki is fine because the bird is sooooo stupid. These are the two mane reasons that "Rikki-tikki-tavi" is my favorit story.

Article posted October 5, 2011 at 01:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

My favorite short story was "Retrieved Reformation" because it was one of the most ironic stories I have ever read. I didn't think that he'd just walk away after he helped the kids out of the safe.

Article posted October 4, 2011 at 02:03 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

My favorite story so far is "Charles". I like this story because you don't expect a little boy to be fooling his parents in a pretty big lie.

To begin Laurie,the little boy goes off to school.First day of kindergarten and his mom doesn't want him to leave at all like any mom would do but he is sorta ready.When he comes back his parents can't wait to hear about his day. He comes in slams the door and says "Is anyone home?".The parents were trying to figure out how his day went but when they asked something he answer was always nothing.The he says a kid got spanked. Of course they ask why. He says he was being fresh which means smart to the teacher.

Then,the rest of the week Charles got into mor trouble.Some of the things he got trouble for was throwing crayona at the teacher or hitting a girl on the head from the see-saw and made her bleed.Laurie played a trick on his father and called him dumb.When the next week started Laurie came home late running up the hill yelling Charles.He explained that the reason why he was late was because of Charles.He said that Charles was yelling and that they all stayed after school to watch him.The rest of th ewwek was the same of Charles getting in trouble.

In the end at the parent-teacher conferences Laurie's mom was taling to the teacher.The teacher was sayin gthat how they had to adjust in the first two weekes or so.Then Laurie's mom said that the teacher had huge handful because of Charles. The teacher looked confused we don't have a Charles in the kindergarten.Who knows how much trouble Laurie got into but we know that the big lie had to end sometime, right?

Out of all the stories we have read in Language Arts, I’d say my favorite one out of all of them would probably have to be “Dirk the Protector.” I just really enjoyed reading it. There was definitely some humor, such as Dirk biting Happy’s rear end. There just appeared to be a lot of feeling in the story, in my opinion. Plus, I adore dogs, and Dirk’s appearance was pretty cool, with his multi-colored coat and everything. I truly believed that Dirk was a great protector in the story. Overall, I truly enjoyed reading it, and hope to find a story like it again.

Article posted October 1, 2011 at 12:44 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 36

In Language Arts, I have read a series of short stories. Among these are "Seventh Grade", "Dirk the Protector", "Amigo Brothers", "A Retrieved Reformation", "The War of the Wall", "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi", and, my favorite, "Charles", a funny and ironic story. First of all, "Charles" is hilarious. Laurie's mother doesn't see that her son is bad. "Charles" is also ironic. Laurie's mother is afraid that Charles is a bad influence on her poor Laurie, while Laurie is Charles and is a bad influence on all the other children. Finally, "Charles" has a cliff hanger at the end. When Laurie's teacher tells his mom that there is no Charles in her class, the reader doesn't get to see the mother's reaction or Laurie's punishment. Clearly, "Charles" is a great story that's extremely funny and full of irony.

Out of all the stories we've read this year, my favorite would have to be 'War of the Wall'. I like this story because of it's story line, and it's characters. The kids of Taliferro Street have become so familiar with the wall, have another person, let alone an adult, interact with it, was strange and not welcomed. Another reason I like this story so much is the background. The kids explain that the painter lady is from Northern New York, they explain that they had lost people in the war, and I think that this really adds dimension. But, my top reason why this is my favorite short story is the symbolism behind the Wall. The wall stands for more than just a painted brick barrier. it stands for those who have loved, and those who wouldn't be coming back to see the way they were honored.

Article posted October 2, 2011 at 12:23 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

We read many great short stories in language arts class but only one was my least favorite. The story I liked the least was "Amigo Brothers". First of all, I didn't like it because of the boxing. I don't like fighting and how the story described the goriness of the match. It includes great descriptions but I just don't enjoy how it tells about the bloody parts so specifically such as in the movie Felix watched before the match. The second reason why I didn't like the story as much as the others is that it was kind of hard to understand. I didn't get why Antonio and Felix would still go on with the match and have to get pulled away from fighting each other when in the end, they embraced each other and didn't stay to hear the winner. If they didn't care so much about winning in the end then they could have just quit the fight in the beginning to avoid facing each other in the ring. The main idea of this story was interesting because of the friendship but I still wouldn't say that it was as good as the others.

Article posted October 6, 2011 at 04:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

"Charles" is my favorite story. I like this story for many reasons. One reason is it is very ironic. I find it to be ironic because Charles turns out to be Laurie. I also find it funny. I thought it was funny when he told his parents about what was going on at school. For example, when he had to get his mouth rinsed out with soap for cussing. For these reasons, I thought "Charles" was a good story and would like to read more stories by Shirley Jackson.

Article posted September 28, 2011 at 05:40 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

My favorite stroy is the "Amigo Brothers". I like this stroy because its a fighting story. Its interseting to read. because they didnt talk to eachother until they fight. then they fight and go all hardcore! then they dont care who wins because there brothers no matter what! :)

My favorite story is A retreved reformation. I like this story because Its about a robber who chjanges his ways. This is my favorite story of the quarter.

My favorite story would have to be "Amigo Brothers". I love this story because the best friends have to decide if the train away from each other. Would the fight break them apart or will they stay best friends? YOU would have to read the story to get the answer.

My favorite story is "Charles." I like the irony in "Charles." My favorite part of the stroy is the ending, when it turnes out Laurie was doing all the bad things Charles (his made up classmate) was doing. I thought it was the best story out of all the short stories do to the irony.

In language arts we have read many storys but my faveorite is"Charles" because it is about this kid that goes to school and he tells his parents that this kid named Charles in his class was so mean to everybody because he yells at his teacher and tells this girl to say a bad word and she says it three times. After that the boy tells his parents that on parent teacher confrence night. Then she goes to find Charles mother. and she finds the teacher and the boys mom says to the teacher "Well you must have a hard time with charles"? and the teacher says "who is Charles"? and that is the end of the story but it is really funny because the kid that was telling the stoeys was the one doing it and blaming it on an imaginary kid named Charles.

In language arts we have read several short stories.By far my favriote story was "Amigo Brothers". First, It was action packed like when they were training for the big fight.Next,It was full of irony.The reason i say it was ironic is because when the boys walk out of the ring before they find out who won.Finaly,It was suspensful when they are fighting.Those are the reasons I like the story"Amigo Brothers".

My favorite story is the "Amigo Brothers" because it is suspencful an exilerating; it is a tragic but happy story. I like it because it has meaning and passion, so I highly sugest you read it.

Article posted October 4, 2011 at 03:56 AM GMT • comment • Reads 33

My favorite short story that we read this quater is "Charels". I love this story because it had me thinking that there was a Charels and it was not Laurie. I mean I should have known by the way he acted but still I was very suprised by the ending and I love those kinds of storys! In fact the ending was my favorite part of the story because I found myself with my mouth wide open just reading it. I thought to myself as I was reading what kind of kid would do that to his or her teacher... only Charels.I also loved the story "Charels" because of the old timey things that would never hapen today,like getting your mouth washed with soap and getting spanked by the teacher. This is some of the many reasons why I loved the story "Charels".

If I would choose my favorite story. It would be "Dirk the Protector". I would choose this story because, their is a lot of external conflict and internal conflict. When the boy is bullied by the bullies, he was saved by the mysterious growl, the dog, from the fire escape. Really nice of "Dirk" to protect him, especially when he"s being robbed. I think this is the saddest short story in the Literature Book. Why, because is when Dirk and the boy, whatever is name is, became friends, and a advantage of not becoming broke anymore. All thanks to Dirk. If I had to choose a short story, it would have to be "Dirk the Protector"! The end.

Article posted September 29, 2011 at 04:03 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 39

In langage arts we have read several short storys, but my favorite is "Charles". The story "Charles" is my favorite because it was really funny how the family cared so much about a boy they don't even know, but then they find out they really do know him. First, when Laurie got home from his first day of school he told his parents that a boy named Charles got spanked for being fresh. Then, a couple days later Laurie tells them that Charles told a little girl to say a bad word and she did. At the end, when the mom is at a PTA meeting she tells Lauries teacher that Charles a bad influence on the kids. Then the teacher says " We don't have any Charles in kindergarden." At the end of the story the mom finds out that Laurie is really Charles. This is why the story "Charles" is my favorite.

In Language Arts, we have been reading short stories. Out of all of the stories we have read so far, my favorite one is "Charles".

First, it is a funny story that some may be able to relate to. I find it hilarious when David tells his family all of these bad things that Charles did, when he is really the one doing it. So, in a way, he is confessing to his parents all of his bad doings.

Secondly, I don't see how David kept his little charade up for so long. Clearly, his mom needs to pay more attention.

And finally, When David's mom finally figures out that Charles isn't real, both the mom and the teacher are in awe because of what David was doing this whole time.

In conclusion, "Charles" is a funny short story that i have enjoyed for its humor.

In Language Arts we have recently been reading short stories by various authors. The story which happens to be my favorite is the story "Charles" by Shirley Jackson. First of all, the mother is quite gullable. Events occur that the mother doesn't think through. She doesn't think that Laurie might be lying when he tells her about Charles staying after school and everyone staying to watch him. Anyone can see that there is something wrong with that explanation. Many people can see that Laurie is being a brat most of the time, but his mother only corrects his grammar. Sooner or later people start refering to Charles when the make mistakes or are being unruly. When someone does a terrible thing they "did a Charles." Finally the mother meets the teacher at parent/teacher conferences. She sees the teacher and asks about Charles, and the teacher replies that there isn't a Charles in kindergarden. So you, the reader, find out that there really wasn't a Charles and that Laurie was really talking about himself. Now you see why I love the story Charles.

Article posted September 29, 2011 at 09:09 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 36

Out of all the short storys we have read in La my favorite by far is "Charles." Charles in a way is like me. I lied to my parents when I was little. I sometimes regret that but sometimes I dont. I made up people in kindergarden and I don't know why. Ally can tell you I was kind of like charles in kindergarden. Except all the bad words.

My favorite story was "Charles" for a number of different reasons. First, it was entertaining. I was always thinking about what was happening and what it was leading up to. Secondly, it was short and fast with no pointless pages. this helped keep my attention all the time. Finally, it had a lot of the traits of the good story which kept me hooked. For all these reasons and even some more that aren't here , I enjoyed this story.

My favorite short story was "Charles". First, I thought that all the naughty acts Charles did were hilarious(except the naughty words). Though they were naughty they were still funny. Next, I like that the story was sort of ironic. The fact that there was no Charles was ironic because you expected the teacher to agrre with Laurie's mother.Last, I liked how interesting the symbolism in this story was. The way the author used cake to show personalities was great!. That is why Charles was my favorite story.

The most, absolutely, phenomenal story we have read so far in Language Arts, in my opinion is, "Charles". This is an amazing story because it is an example on what modern kids can be like while explaining it in an indirect and adorable way. This short story also is interesting because Charles ends up being Laurie and is just his made up personality. These are the reasons why "Charles" is my favorite story we have read so far.