Article posted April 9, 2012 at 04:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 127

Which do you value your life or your entertainment? Last Year Lebron James made nearly $1,100 every minute. While the average surgeon makes about $150 an hour, but Lebron James' salary isn't exorbitant compared to the salary of other professional athletes. In our society we place such a high value on entertainment that we are paying millions to the people who provide the entertainment. In the current times we have entertainment at the touch of a button and are constantly being bombarded by media. Entertainment is important, it is good for you to relax and watch a game of baseball or simply chill out at a broncos game with a friend but is it so important to us that we pay the players hundreds of thousands a game? Professional athletes are payed too much. 911 the numbers everyone knows, and respects it consists of the ambulance, the police and the firefighters and millions of saved lives yet the people who do these ever dangerous jobs get payed an average 67 times less than the average professional athlete Some people might argue that athletes need to be payed large amounts of money because they are risking their lives or that they have a short career because of possible injuries, yet less than 20% of athletes have to retire due to a serious injury. To be a teacher is one of the poorest paying jobs for one of the hardest tasks. Who do you really want to spend your money on an athlete or someone who might one day save your life? One of the things that professional athletes get payed to do is be in the public eye. In other words they receive money to be famous. Many news stations show an athlete of the week less than half show a teacher of the week or a service figure of the week. This all indicates how much we truly value our entertainment and how outlandish our world views are becoming because of this. Although sports and games are fun and entertaining what true values do they hold in our society?

Article posted April 4, 2012 at 02:39 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 40

We have recently read an artical in LA about the salaries of pro athletes called"Do Professional Athletes Get Paid Too Much?" by Justin Hjelm. The artical states that most pro athletes get paid over 2 million dollars, compared to the people who save lives every day like surgeons that get paid 182,690 dollars. The artical also staits that when the athletes salaries went down due to a problem in the leage that the athletes complained. One even complained about how he could not pay for the insurence for his EIGHT cars. I mean really who needs EIGHT cars!!!! This shows that when the pro football, basketball, baseball, and other athletes lose their money to live the good life thet freak out and say they are going to go bankrupt. Another fact is that the people finding a cure for cancer get paid not even half of what the pro athletes get paid!!! We need entertainment but the cost should not be high. In conclusion I think that pro athletes get paid way too much money for what they are worth!!

I believe that athletes are paid too much. I mean, seriously, we pay the president less money than a pro athlete. Some people think athletes are worth what they aer paid. They say that they only get paid what the fans are willing to pay, so the athletes are paid justly. What a load of dung! What about all that money?! We could use it to pay off the national debt! Or help the poor! But noooooooo, we have to give it ot a bunch of bafoons who do waht with it? They spend it on seven cars, for hevean's sake seven cars! we should use that money for better stuff, not paying bozos.

When I read about whether athletes are paid too much or not and here's what I think. Personaly, I believe they are paid too much. One baseball player said he didn't have enough money to ensure his eight cars. People don't need that many. Another thing is, that some people don't have enough money to even ensure two or three cars. Atheletes need to be paid less money so that they would be happy with what they have.

Do you someone that gets paid 95 million dollars to sign a piece of paper.I didn't think so, but if you think about it some athletes get paid way to much to play something that they enjoy. Even though they contribute alot to the team they should put all that money to a good cause.

First of all, there is Tim Tebow a Broncos quarterback, people make fun of him and all but he really dose some good stuff.It was in the news that he used some of the million dollars he had to build a school in Africa. That is a way to help our world instead of keeping the money to themselves. I thought that was very generousm he even helped build it too.

Second, I'm sure it is nice to have all the money but you can still live the rich life and give back. If you think about it enough is enough, players of all sports should consider to give some money to a charity. They should pick a charity and donate their time or a small portion of their money to help out.Coaches are the problem too. They are the ones giving them all that money.

Finally, everybody has heared about the Peyton Manning deal.95 million a year, seriously what can one person do with all that money. Who can live with all that money? That would be a pretty nice life to live if everybody was a millionaire even a billionaire.

All together that is alot of money that goes to just one person. With all these examples I think we can all conclude that athletes are paid too much. 

I think that some athletes are paid too muych. Most of the athletes get paid to stay on the team so the pay has to be more then any other team. Some athletes in my opinion are "taking all the money" when it comes to there salaries. Most athletes get paid enough to have a big house and be financially secure. That is my opinion on athletes salaries

Two articles that we have recently read in Language Arts class argue if professional athletes get paid too much. One article said yes, the other one said no. I agree that professional athletes get paid too much. First off, what are they actually doing to help our community? Sure, entertainment is important to make sure we don't bore ourselves to death, but it isn't saving lives. People who are looking for a cure for cancer are saving lives, and they probably get paid half as much as a professional athlete. It should be the other way around. Also, what skills are truly required to be a professional athlete? You have to be good at the sport, but that's about it. Maybe some common and logail sense thrown in there as well. Being an athlete is wasting all those years spent in school. People who quit college to join a professional sport team don't end up making it. They don't have a degree, so they can't get a job. They are broke, with no degree, and they have to work a minimum wage job. Finally, it's the athletes attitudes. They complain they don't get enough money and they demand more when the league isn't doing so well. "Kenny Anderson, then a guard for the Boston Celtics, complained of not being able to afford the insurance on his eight cars." That's what Justin Hjelm wrote in his article, "Do Professional Athletes Get Paid Too Much?" Who needs eight cars, first off. Being a professional athletes makes you a whinny, little, spoiled brat.

Fast food workers and even doctors are paid close to nothing compared to our entertainers. professional athletes are paid too much and are wasting money that could be used for a better cause. A lot of people are paid poor salaries. McDonald's workers are paid minimum wage. Waitresses work for tips. So do bartenders, like my aunt. Also, there are better causes for the money going to professional athletes. Doctors deserve the money more because they are saving lives. The money could go to saving endangered animals and the earth. Charity is a better way to spend it, too. People who go to college aren't paid nearly as much as 'high schoolers declaring draft every year' who 'forfeit their college eligibility,' says Justin Hjelm in his article "Do Professional Athletes Get Paid Too Much?" If they make a team, they're paid multi-millions. If they don't, 'without a college education, they struggle to find a decent job,' he also says. Finally, athletes have huge salaries. They do work for their money by bringing in viewers, but they are paid millions! Some are paid hundreds of millions, but take the money and run. Professional athletes are clearly paid way too much.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 03:17 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

Although professional athletes are most kids' idols, I think they get paid way too much. First of all, the money should go to places like cancer research, charities, or homeless shelters. I'm sure that any of them could use an extra couple million dollars. Also, people play sports for fun or entertainment. I think humans have took entertainment way too far and spent all our money on it. Paying people for having fun doesn't seem very reasonable too me. I'm not saying that we shouldn't pay athletes, I'm just saying that we shouldn't pay them as much. To conclude, money turns professional athletes into selfish greedy people. We need to spend our money on better things.

Are every day working people that help the community getting paid to little? Are professional athletes paid too much? Should professional athletes give their money to charity? This are all queshtions I asked myself when I read two articales in my language arts class. Te first article was called'Pro athletes' salaries arenn't overly exorbitant" By: Justin Hjelm. It talked about how players would drop out of High School to persue sports and that would rarely even make it into the major leagues'. Being a student athlete I realize it is extremly hard to make it into the majoe leagues. So, I think any player that makes it to the major leagues deserves to be paid those hight salaries. I have also been Hearing people say the athletes shouldnt get paid that much. But what I think is that it is the publics fault for the players high salaries. If the public didnt pay to watch the games than the players wouldnt make as much money. I think it is truley not the players fault if they work very hard to get where they are and the public is paying them to play.

athletes for football boxing and hockey should get the same salerie, because those athletes are risking there lives, if your not risking a huge bill from hospitals or morgues why would you need millions of dollars to spend

Athletes get paid way too much and here is why.My first reason is that athletes get paid more than the president. Another reason of mine is that they are making over a million dollars for doing one season.Also, to them, a million dollar contract is considered terrible.Next, because of their high wages, its encouraging children to try to become athletes instead of going to college to make about fiftey thousand dollars a year. So those are the main reasons why I think athletes are paid too much.

In my opinion profesional athletes are paid too much because they do not provide anything for society besides entertainment. Now a lot of people would argue that people are willing to pay that money to see them play.In my opinion you should not have to pay $500 dolars a ticket to watch people play up close.My family and I once did the math to a specific pro athlete named Kobe Bryant. He ets paid 24 million dolars a year. That's $362,000 a game. He makes what my parents make in three years in one night. Wait a minute, something is wrong with this picture. We also did another math equation, Saying kobe bryant works eight hours a day every day except weekends for a year he makes $12,000 dolars an hour. That's crazy if you ask me, that's crazy.

Who do you know who makes fiften-thousand dollars an hour? The average doctor only makes one-hundred fifty dollars an hour curing people and saving lives while the average professional athlete makes fifteen-thousand dollars an hour entertaining us. Professional athletes get paid way too much. To start, the truly important jobs in our society don't get valued enough. In the article, "Do Professional Athletes Get Paid Too Much?", it states that athletes such as Babe Ruth make even more money than the President of the United States! Also, doctors save people's lives and keep everyone healthy while only earning a one-hundredth of what professional athletes get paid. People aren't as aware of the importance that doctors have and they should be paid more than people who are there just for our pleasure. Without our doctors, there would be a lot more deaths and unhealthy people. There are also jobs who help children, work to improve the world, and even more life-changing ones. These jobs are way more important than playing a sport on television because entertainment is a luxury, not a necessity. In addition, professional athletes are hard to become. Not everyone can be as amazing as them so instead they can commit their time to the many more important jobs so it is easier to play to their strengths. Not everyone can become physical wonders and it could be hard to achieve that state no matter how hard you try. Some people are simply gifted with it and then they get paid a ton while not working as hard as others. Finally, being a professional athlete benefits the person with an unfair advantage compared with someone having a different job. Professional athletes get to entertain us while making millions and doing what they love for fun. However, people with other occupations work very hard to get where they are but don't make as much while effecting our lives in positive ways more. It shows that entertainment rules over the true priorities unlike how it should be. In conclusion, professional athletes get paid too much especially in comparison to how much the majority earns.

Intro: do pro athletes get paid too much? Many say they do. There are many reasons why they deserve their salaries

Detail: they're the best at what they do

Detail: need to live and breath the sport

Detail: games make alot of money

Conclusion: Pro athletes do get paid what they're worth

I do not think that athlete get paid to much. we pay them for what they do. its sports entertainment. if we wanted to watch teachers teach a class then they would get paid more. but thats not entertaing. but watching sports and things like that are fun. they do not get paid to much. people who think they do are just very jealous.

I think that pros are paid to much.  They are getting millions of dollers for entertain us.  Even the bench warmers get paid millions.1,000,000$.  They also only play for a couple of seasons before they are replaced by a rookie.

Article posted April 4, 2012 at 04:08 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 41

Professional Athletes don't get paid too much, that's what I personally think... Singletary also agrees that professional athletes don't get paid too much. First of all they are away from their families'. Would you like to be away from your family when you go play a season of sports. Just think you are the professional athlete and your family is at home watching you play, while they are sitting on the couch watching that season and cheering you on. Secondly the athletes get injured in the games that they play. Whether it be Football, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, etc. You can still get hurt, even if it is the simplest and easiest sport you can still get hurt. Besides if they get a serious injury one-third of their salary will be gone, enable to pay the expenses of that injury. Also they have taxes, and have to pay every month for their house. their goes another third of their money. Lastly is that the fans pay to attend the shows, buy jerseys, buy little toys for their children, and etc. Singletary said in his article " If the players play well then they will bring in more fans" and that is true. It is the fans choice whether or not they buy the clothing, accessories, and little toys. Therefore professional athletes DON'T get paid too much money.

There are thousands of sports players. Some are professional, others are not. Proffesional athletes are paid too much! First of all, it's just a wasit of money. They are paid millions of dollars allthe for a silly game, even if they loose or hardly score any points. Also, tons of people around the world are good athletes and are sportive. Majority of them are not known, and do not get paid for being athletic. Why should only the famous foot ball players and soccer players be rich? Another thing is how other people work harder and yet they get paid less. Teachers, police, the president, ect. do harder work, tougher jobs and don't get recognized or paid as much. Just because they are on tv doesn't meanthey should be paid more than the rest of america.

Article posted April 13, 2012 at 01:24 AM GMT • comment • Reads 41

I think Athletes are overpaid because they are juse entertainers and we have people risking there lives every day for us and they barely make more money in a year than a football player makes in one game.

My article was to give my opinion on if athletes do or dont get paid the right amount.Well I agree with Mr. Hjelm he says that Baseball players and other athletes do get paid way to much. They get like 10 times as much money as a normal working man does. My opinion is that athletes are getting paid way to much. Just to play a game they get paid about three different paychecks for a normal man. Well now you know my opinion on there Salaries :)

Hi im dustin, im here to write about why baseball players get payed what thier worth. Baseball players get paid enough because if they break a bone they might not have the money to pay the hospital. that is why i think they get paid enough

Money

i think that Baseball players get payed WAY to Much.No one is werth that much money.

And as Dustin thinks that they can pay a hostipal bill if they break a bone but If My mom could Any body could exept mabey a Hobo.

DEAR READER,

I think that athletes get paid too much because some of the athletes are bad at the sport thay play and don't deserve the money they get. Take football for example some of the people can't catch. An its un fair to the good players that everyone should get the same money so it can go either way. If you are good at that sport then you should get the money. If you're not, then you should just quit vary little people like you. And if you drop out of school then you're stupid because if you retire someday you are going to fail at everything else because you didn't learn how, so go to school.

skylar

schaefer

Sports are very important to the American society. They bring states together to cheer for there favorite team to win the World Cup,The Super Bowl, and even the World series. But are the athletes that play these sports paid too much...In my opinion--yes. 100 million dollars is a lot to pay one person for five years! Our country is going through a huge dept crisis,people are getting laid off and they eventually end up begging for money wheil athletes are sitting in their big fancy mansions! All of this money could be going to many other places that NEED it. That is why I think that atletes get paid TOO MUCH.

My opinion is that Athletes are paid too much, depending. First of all, some Athletes are paid too much because, role players make more that president O'bama. Another opinion is that Major Players can be paid more cash that minors. I'm not really sure, but I think that Major League Baseball Players have a higher salary that Minor League Baseball Players. I say that Athletes are paid too much, depending who.

Pro Athletes are not over paid. There are many reasons that that they get payed such a large amount. Here are three reasons why. First of all, they only work for a short amount of time. They need to save up for the rest of their life. So they should get paid a lot of money to save up. Secondly, they bring in lots of fans and advertisement. It pays for it's self. Lastly they inspire kids to become professional athletes. It provides a good and stable career. So that's why they get paid so much.

In Language Arts we have read about what athletes get paid. Some people think they are paid what they are worth. Others say that are paid too much. In my opinion they are over paid. First, all they do is just throw a ball around for peoples entertainment. Next, Teachers, doctors, fire fighter, and more get paid way less than a professional athlete. Finally, the athletes get paid so much that it encourages kids to quit school. Barley any of the people who try out to be in the major league actually make it.

Professional athletes get paid way to much, for what they do.

Professional athletes are paid too much for the games they play.

Professional athletes are overpaid for their profession because they only perform for the entertainment of the fans.

First, athletes only play for entertainment. Anyone can play a game in front of others, so I don't see why certain athletes get paid so much. I also wonder, what is the point? Sure, you can win a game and get a trophy, but then what? Do you keep going on just to make the money?

Then there is the problem of athletes being too rich. When you have a lot of extra money, you tend to blow it on useless items. If you buy useless items, then you are wasting money. That has to be bad for the economy because athletes are wasting money that could be used by someone who really needs it.

Finally, athletes' attitudes seem to change after getting the money. If you have a lot of money, then you think that you are higher than everyone else. Thinking like this can cause you to be greedy with your money. I am not saying that all athletes are greedy, but that some are.

In conclusion, I believe that professional athletes are paid too much for simply playing games.

Article posted April 4, 2012 at 03:27 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 38

Some time in our lives, everyone has seen some type of professional sports. We all hear about them on the news and how much they get paid. Some would say that they are paid what they're worth, but I say they are overpaid for what the contribute to the society. First, these "stars" just play a game. Sure it's entertaining, but it is "not nearly as needed as other occupations." Don't fans have anything better to do, anyway? Next, professional athletes are paid more than even the president of the U.S.A. Even the salaries of a teacher, a doctor, a firefighter, and a surgeon combined wouldn't amount to the large sum athletes are paid. Last, some teenagers find that a sport is an eaier way to get an amazing job, without all the work before-hand. Meaning teens WILL drop-out of school if they see the oppurtunity to get out of all the work and have some fun (and get paid for it). Maybe pro athletes are paid lots to keep them happy and away from other teams but that doesn't excuse the large sum of money being wasted on one individual. For many reasons, stated in this blog, pro athletes are paid WAY too much.

I used a quote from the passage: Do Professional Athletes Get Paid Too Much? by Justin Hjelm

Professinal Athletes are way over paid for playing a game.I admit they should be paid a little more for entertaing the world. But they are playing because theym love to play the game. So they should take a little less money because they get to do what they love everyday.Athletes make more money than docters and police men. When those people are saving lives the athletes are playing a game.As mr.Hjelm says they get paid too much for playing a game!

Yes I do think athletes do get paid too much. they get paid millions of dollars just to have fun and play a sport they already want to play. some of them the players that play or are on the team they don't even play the game sometimes they just sit on the bench cheering on their team so they get paid a lot but just to sit on the bench and do nothing except cheer and be bored so i do think ahletes do get paid too much

I know that baseball players make almost 5 times more money than kingergarden teachers but as long as people pay to see them who cares! When ever I wrote my plan I belived that they got paid too much but after I heard the argument about how they get paid a good amount the author changed my mind! Of course they could take off some of the salary and give it to kindergarden teachers or firefighters because they save lives and teach us how to read and write! This is really a hard subject to compare because there are very good arguements but as long as fans pay to go to the game they can get paid as much as the organization wants!

Justin Hjelm wrote a fascinating article on his thoughts about professional athletes salaries. His views their salaries as overly exorbitant.

Pro-athletes are paid much more than they truly deserve. First off, they get paid to play a game. That seems about as fair as getting paid for going to an amusement park! Who wouldn't want to do that! This also causes many kids to drop out of college to try for a spot on one of these teams. Then if they don't make it they don't have many options. Lastly, they aren't saving any lives. That might warrant a larger salary but still not nearly as much as they are paid. It is obvious that this is not right, and pro-athletes are paid too much.