In Language Arts, we have been reading mystery stories lately. The setting is important in a mystery, and a "closed setting" is the best. For example, our latest mystery, called The Hound of the Baskervilles, is all in one area, as are all the suspects.  The Hound of the Baskervilles is a Sherlock Holmes story by the genius Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  It is set in Baskerville Hall, on the moor, at Grimpen MIre, and that immediate area.  A closed setting must be in one specific area, and that setting must be known to the reader.  For example, in the Hound story, Baskerville Hall is where the victim lived.  The moor is the scene of the crime, and Grimpen Mire is a deadly place.  Also, there must be likely suspects within the setting.  In The Hound of the Baskervilles, the suspects live in Baskerville Hall or near the moor.  Almost all of these people are possible suspects.  Finally, a mystery story with a good closed setting must introduce the setting.  The Hound story introduces the setting when characters arrive there.  The reader learns about the setting at the same time as the narrator, who is also a character, does.  The Hound of the Baskervilles is clearly a perfect example of a mystery stoyr with a closed setting.

Article posted November 15, 2011 at 05:29 PM • comment • Reads 41 • see all articles