Article posted May 4, 2012 at 03:58 AM GMT • comment • Reads 99

Do I think before I act? Yes, I do. I thought about how to get to the Underworld before I did it. I thought about looking back for Eurydice before I did it. However, I don't always completely think through it. I completely thought through how I would distract and mesmerize everybody with my music. However, love blinded me at one point. Hades promised me that if I didn't look back, Eurydice would come. I almost made it. But I didn't trust, or follow directions. I did think about it. I thought about how Hades might be playing a trick on me. I thought about how a peek wouldn't hurt. I didn't think about how if Eurydice was following, I would be punished, though. She was following, and had I taken just mere steps more, I'd have had her. I looked back, and I saw her there, as a spirit. I was punished in that Eurydice went back. So, I learned my lesson. Completely think through something before you act, because though I think before I act, I'm not thourough enough, and this cost me my lover as well as my life.

Article posted April 19, 2012 at 11:53 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 50

When I want to hear or give a persuasive speech, I favor some specific topics. One is politics. There is always a lot going on and changing in this subject, so every time somebody gives a speech about it, it will be different. Also, product comparisons are interesting. Everybody has different oppinions on which of two or more similar products is the best. Finally, restaurant comparisons are great, too. It's always interesting to hear why somebody likes one ice cream parlor better than another. Obviously, there are several extremely interesting topics for persuasion.

Currently, the United States government has money troubles. There are certain things that this money should be spent on. One thing is debt. The United States owes money to other countries, and it should be paid back. Instead, they are taking more. If the government keeps this up, other countries will refuse to lend them money. Also, the government could use the money to help the economy. They could create more jobs. They could also help those who can't find jobs. This way, the economy is okay and money is still in circulation. Finally, the U.S. government could use their money to help charity. It impacts the whole country. More people would be in houses, which would give more jobs as construction workers and such. With more construction workers, more buildings would be built, and some of them would be restaurants and the like. These would give other people more jobs. Homeless people could get these jobs and eventually get homes. This would be better for the U.S. as a whole with just a little help from the government. Clearly, there are some important things for the U.S. to spend their money on.

Fast food workers and even doctors are paid close to nothing compared to our entertainers. professional athletes are paid too much and are wasting money that could be used for a better cause. A lot of people are paid poor salaries. McDonald's workers are paid minimum wage. Waitresses work for tips. So do bartenders, like my aunt. Also, there are better causes for the money going to professional athletes. Doctors deserve the money more because they are saving lives. The money could go to saving endangered animals and the earth. Charity is a better way to spend it, too. People who go to college aren't paid nearly as much as 'high schoolers declaring draft every year' who 'forfeit their college eligibility,' says Justin Hjelm in his article "Do Professional Athletes Get Paid Too Much?" If they make a team, they're paid multi-millions. If they don't, 'without a college education, they struggle to find a decent job,' he also says. Finally, athletes have huge salaries. They do work for their money by bringing in viewers, but they are paid millions! Some are paid hundreds of millions, but take the money and run. Professional athletes are clearly paid way too much.

c) The causes of World War I were the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the rise of nationalism, the build-up of military might, competition for colonies, and a system of military alliances. The Battle of the Five Armies was caused by the goblins and wolves coming to settle their defeat by the dwarves and a want for gold for the dwarves, Lakemen, and elves. Both are about competition and alliances. The imaginary war ended up better because the Lakemen, elves, and dwarves all made friends and shared the gold, while the goblins and wolves were taken care of and didn't give trouble for awhile.

Article posted February 2, 2012 at 03:25 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 61

Lately, I have noticed many different qualities among people. There are certain qualities that I find admirable. One great quality is kindness. Kind people care for others when they need to. They make others feel better and the world a better place. Another terrific quality is determination. If everyone gave up, nobody would have invented anything. If everybody tried to walk and fell, then never tried again, people would still be crawling around everywhere. People who mope about saying "I can't do it" can be annoying. The best quality of all is honesty. Without it, nobody would have any facts and even our history books would be full of lies. You can't trust anybody without honesty and would wonder if they were truthful. It's clear that kindness, determination, and, especially, honesty are the most admirable qualities for a person to have.

Text to text: compare the poem or song to another poem or story you've read

Text to self: apply the content of the poem or song to your own life

Text to world: explain how the poem or song relates to a situation in world history or that's going on somewhere in the world right now

The Road Not Taken

by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Lost Generation

by Jonathon Reed

I realize this may be a shock but

'Happiness comes from within'

is a lie, and

'Money will make me happy'

So in thirty years I will tell my children

they are not the most important thing in my life.

My employer will know that

I have my priorities straight because

work

is more important than

family

I tell you this

Once upon a time

Families stayed together

but this will not be true in my era

this is a quick fix society

Experts tell me

Thirty years from now I will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of my divorce

I do not concede that

I will live in a country of my own making

In the future

Environmental destruction will be the norm

No longer can it be said that

My peers and I care about this earth

It will be evident that

My generation is apathetic and lethargic

It is foolish to presume that

There is hope.

And all of this will come true unless we choose to reverse it.

This poem is kind of like the poem "Lost Generation". Both are about challenge. They''re about how when you have to make your own choices in order for things to get better. They are both poems about how, if people make challenging choices, things will change.

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both." Whenever I have to make a challenging decision that may or may not change my life, I wish I could see what would happen for each decision- travel both paths. Since I can't, I sometimes make the choice most people don't- the path asking for wear.

"Lost Generation" is a poem about how our generation is going to ruin society- unless we choose to reverse it, in which case our generation will improve society. Our generation will hurt society unless we choose to change it, in which case our generation will make society better than ever.

In Language Arts, we've been reading A Christmas Carol.  In it,  Scrooge can't live without his money.  If there were one thing I couldn't live without, it'd be my family.  My choice is similar to Scrooge's because I have a lot of family and Scrooge has a lot of money.  However, my choice is also different from Scrooge's.  Scrooge wants money all to himself.  I love my family.  While Scrooge's money won't benefit anybody because he doesn't even want to spend it, if I never had to let go of my family, I might be able to learn how to be nice to my sister (but probably not).  Family will always love you, while money may leave you at the snap of a finger.  Obviously, the fact that I can't live without my family is very different than the fact that Scrooge can't live without his money in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

In Language Arts, we have been reading mystery stories lately. The setting is important in a mystery, and a "closed setting" is the best. For example, our latest mystery, called The Hound of the Baskervilles, is all in one area, as are all the suspects.  The Hound of the Baskervilles is a Sherlock Holmes story by the genius Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  It is set in Baskerville Hall, on the moor, at Grimpen MIre, and that immediate area.  A closed setting must be in one specific area, and that setting must be known to the reader.  For example, in the Hound story, Baskerville Hall is where the victim lived.  The moor is the scene of the crime, and Grimpen Mire is a deadly place.  Also, there must be likely suspects within the setting.  In The Hound of the Baskervilles, the suspects live in Baskerville Hall or near the moor.  Almost all of these people are possible suspects.  Finally, a mystery story with a good closed setting must introduce the setting.  The Hound story introduces the setting when characters arrive there.  The reader learns about the setting at the same time as the narrator, who is also a character, does.  The Hound of the Baskervilles is clearly a perfect example of a mystery stoyr with a closed setting.

Mystery stories are full of fear and in Language Arts class, we just finished reading one mystery story and are about to start reading more. Fear affects people in many ways and can make them jump to conclusions, like in "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street". It can make people turn on each other like cats on mice. People jump to conclusions by making little things other people do seem really bad so the little things they do don't seem so bad. Fear also makes people turn on eachother. They would rather say their friends are monsters than risk them or their family being said to be monsters. On the other hand, when somebody is said to be the monster, they can think more clearly and are able to say the people who are turning on them are just overreacting and thinking irrationally because of paranoia and fear. Clearly, fear affects people more than they realize - until they're the victims.