teacher: Lisa Thomassen

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 02:52 AM GMT • comment • Reads 34

What do you think should be the top three priorities for the federal government to fund in the next fiscal year? Is education in the top three? How about Medicare and Social Security? Would you fund defense first?--BE SURE TO GIVE SUPPORT FOR YOUR REASONS!

There are many people in the world who do so many things for us, our community and our world and get paid a little bit of money. Then, there are the people who get paid a lot for doing very little, like professional athletes and people who get paid to entertain the public. All this money that they get should get put to better causes. In the next year, the three priorities that the federal government to fund would be safety programs (police, fire fighters, ambulances), medical programs (hospitals, urgent cares, doctors offices) and education. First, the "safety programs" should get more money because they save lives! Without these very helpful folks many people would not be safe. Next, comes the medical programs. These keep people healthy and help those that are ill. If the medical programs dont get paid enough some people would not work for them. Then, there wouldn't be anyone working for the medical field which could cause people to die (because they wont take care of the sick people). Lastly, comes education. The education field teaches us kids how to read and write, teach us about our history, and much more. Once again if some poeple dont get paid or paid enough will quit and without the teachers, we wont be able to learn. All in all, the three top prioreties for the government to fund in the next year should be saftey programs, the medical field and the education programs.

~Brianna

Do you know someone who gets paid thousands of dollars to play a game? Do you know someone who gets paid to appear at an event or in a commercial? These apply to professional athletes who get paid way too much! First of all, other people play these sports and they dont get piad at all. What is the difference? Then, not everyone likes sports. Some poeple would rather go outside and ride their bike or just sit down or enjoy the fresh air. Lastly, there are better places for the money to go to. How about doctors, firefighters, police, or even some homeless sheleters or the Humaine Society. Some people think that they get paid for how they play and how good they are but I think they are wrong.

a) Based on The Hobbit, what do you think Tolkien’s attitude towards nationalism is? What statement does he seem to want to make about war in general?

Based on The Hobbit, I believe that Tolkien's attitude towards nationalism is that he agrees that it is imporant. I belive so because he resembles it in his book with the dawrfs, the trolls, the spiders, the giant, the eagles, the goblins, the dragon, the wood elfs and the people of Lake Town. They all show diffrent "nationalities". Like in World War 1, they had a battle for nationalism. Hence, J.R. Tolkien believes in nationalism.

Article posted January 31, 2012 at 02:34 AM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 33

For this first Language Arts blog of 2012, please choose one of your recent plans ("The Victor", Character Qualities, or the holes in your sidewalk) to write out in a blog for everyone else to read.

Recently in Language Arts, we read and discussed the poem, "There's a Hole in My Sidewalk". It was about a person that keeps falling into a hole in a sidewalk. This "hole" in the sidewalk represents a bad habit. I have one big hole in my sidewalk, waking up to late on school days. This brings me problems. If I wake up late, I don't get enough time to get ready and I need my time to get ready. I could possibly be late, also. If The bell rings before I get to class, I'll get a tardy and a few of those could get me a detention. If I don't have enough time to eat a good breakfast, I get hungry at school and can't pay a ton of attention. In conclusion, I need to wake up earlier or I might run into bad things.

Happy New Year! I hope 2012 will be wonderful for all of you.

People often associate a new year with a challenge or change. In LA we are reading about people who sought to "Be the Change" they wanted to see in the world, too.

The mission for your first blog assignment of the new year will be to find a poem or song that focuses on a new challenge or change. Post the poem or song along with the name of its author. Then, use text connections to react to the poem. Include one text to text, one text to self, and one text to world.

Text to text: compare the poem or song to another poem or story you've read

Text to self: apply the content of the poem or song to your own life

Text to world: explain how the poem or song relates to a situation in world history or that's going on somewhere in the world right

Changes In My Life

We sometimes say we need a change,

As a change is good as a rest

But often fail to ponder

If change is for the best.

When we feel change will do the trick

And it’s time for a change,

Do we really stop to think

And have a frank exchange?

For “change, for change’s sake” can mean

That, as our rooms have faded,

When we change the wallpaper,

The furniture looks jaded.

And if we change too many things

In way, or shape, or form

Then constant need to change occurs

And change becomes the norm.

And change becomes our mentor

As change succeeds each change

And every changeless constant

That stays unchanged seems strange.

And so, if you’re sore tempted

To spawn unneeded change,

Just change your mind and see that you

Don’t change it, for a change.

Text to Self:

I really like this poem because it explains positive and negative aspects about change. This really relates to my life. I personally like to change a lot of things that I can't. Some times the thing I want to change, usually isn't really for the best. This poem really explains in dept the aspect of change. :)

Article posted December 12, 2011 at 04:01 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

What could you not live without? Think of Scrooge in A Christmas Carol. How would your answer be similar or different than his?

I could not live without family or friends. Without them, I don't think that I could be the person I am today.

When I think of Scrooge in A Chriatsmas Carol, I think of his greed and want for money and wealth. My answer is different from his. The thing is food, water, and shelter are assencials to life. Sadly, to get these things we have to pay with money. But, with family and friends, I could make it through.

(:)

Article posted November 16, 2011 at 02:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 32

What would be the perfect "closed setting" for a mystery story? Why do you think so? (You can describe a setting from a story you did read, or you can describe a setting that you can imagine would be perfect.)

I think the perfect closed setting for a mystery story would need to be a weird, mysterious, dark, scary place. For example, a haunted town or an abandoned amusement park would be good settings for a mystery story. Personally, I think that an old museum would be a great setting for a mystery story. I think so because all the old statues and exibits could help the detective find the crimanal. Plus, the museum would give a ton of clues. This is one of the settings that I think would be an awsome closed setting for a mysterious story.

(:)

As we start our mystery unit, think about this question: How does fear affect us? Have you ever made a decision based on fear that you later were surprised by? Does fear motivate or hinder--or both?

Fear effects us by making us stronger. As we get scared, our minds make us prepared for another scare and another. By what I have experienced, the more I get scared the harder it is for me to get scared the next time. I believe that fear motivates and hinders us. Say you are scared of heights and your family is going on to a rollercoaster that goes super high. You are probably scared of that but it might also make you go (to get over your fear). All in all, fear is a blessing yet a curse!

(:)

Which short story that we read this quarter was your favorite? Why?

My favorite story that we read was "Charles." I liked it because it was short and had a good plot line. The author could have added a few details. When I was reading, it felt like it would say something about what "Charles" did and then, it would skip to the next day. Over all it could do it justice by adding some details but, it was a good story, short and entertaing.

(:)

Article posted September 8, 2011 at 04:24 PM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 32

Question: Now that we've been in school for a while, I'd like you to pause and reflect on your performance so far. If you were an employer, would you hire you? Are you responsible, reliable, hard working, trustworthy...Convince me one way or the other.

I believe I have started this school year on the right foot. Sadly, I have had a few misteps this year. Still I have got them panned out. If I was an employer I WOULD hire myself, but I would watch myself cloesly and if I had 1 major mistake or 3minor mistakes, I would fire myself. Honestly, I think that I could have started my seventh grade year better. I hope I wil have a fun, drama free, and AWESOME year. (:)