-

by teacher: Lisa Thomassen

Article posted May 8, 2012 at 02:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 62

Prometheus and Orpheus both made discisions that question whether or not they truly thought through thier actions before they performed them.  Both Prometheus and Orpheus were characters in ancient greek myth's which taught lessons to the greek's about obedience and discipline amongst other imoportant character traits.  Prometheus and Orpheus did not follow these guidelines and both suffered drastic consequences, Yet did they think before they put thier actions in to play? No, neither of them thought through the potential consequences that thier actions might provoke. This is clearly evident by thier actions. Overall there was no clear thought process put in to thier actions.

Article posted April 9, 2012 at 04:31 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

Which do you value your life or your entertainment? Last Year Lebron James made nearly $1,100 every minute. While the average surgeon makes about $150 an hour, but Lebron James' salary isn't exorbitant compared to the salary of other professional athletes. In our society we place such a high value on entertainment that we are paying millions to the people who provide the entertainment. In the current times we have entertainment at the touch of a button and are constantly being bombarded by media. Entertainment is important, it is good for you to relax and watch a game of baseball or simply chill out at a broncos game with a friend but is it so important to us that we pay the players hundreds of thousands a game? Professional athletes are payed too much. 911 the numbers everyone knows, and respects it consists of the ambulance, the police and the firefighters and millions of saved lives yet the people who do these ever dangerous jobs get payed an average 67 times less than the average professional athlete Some people might argue that athletes need to be payed large amounts of money because they are risking their lives or that they have a short career because of possible injuries, yet less than 20% of athletes have to retire due to a serious injury. To be a teacher is one of the poorest paying jobs for one of the hardest tasks. Who do you really want to spend your money on an athlete or someone who might one day save your life? One of the things that professional athletes get payed to do is be in the public eye. In other words they receive money to be famous. Many news stations show an athlete of the week less than half show a teacher of the week or a service figure of the week. This all indicates how much we truly value our entertainment and how outlandish our world views are becoming because of this. Although sports and games are fun and entertaining what true values do they hold in our society?

Article posted April 5, 2012 at 03:29 PM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 39

The United States government budgets every year for all sorts of different projects, but is it truly working? Since 1969 the congress has spent more money than it has generated. There are many worth spending money on but when the government is growing further and further into debt every year we need to start prioritizing. The first priority the government should have is creating new jobs and working towards an all around better economy. These two objectives go hand in hand because with every new job made that pumps more and more money into the economy. The better the economy is the better off the nation is as a whole. Next the government should budget for defense and other military operations. There are many problems on this planet that we as a planet are trying to resolve by military actions therefore, we must have the resources to back up this big part of our ever violent world. Third the government should budget for a better education. Education is the best way to create a better society in the future and therefore helping to solve many of the problems in our world today. The minds of children hold the key to a better society in the future, and in every child there is untapped potential which can only be nurtured by an education. All in all with the growing amount of debt the priorities of economy, defense, and education need to have the majority of our money and our focus.

A) Based on The Hobbit I believe that Tolkien is a complete believer in nationalism. He shows this very strongly in the part of the hobbit where bilbo gives the Arkenstone to the opposing side and then goes back to his friends (his country) proving his strong belief in nationalism. Tolkien is trying to show that he thinks that the war is a gory devastating sight to lay eyes on. Also that it was a very important war as he shows by making it the climax of the story. The devastating sight was shown through the book by him making and somewhat exaggerating the amount of gore involved in any war and therefore showing his hatred to the blood shed and the lives lost in this history changing war.

Article posted February 2, 2012 at 04:29 AM GMT • comment (4) • Reads 44

In Language arts we recently read a poem called "the Victor". I do agree with the message of this poem that our thoughts are a big part of our success in what ever we do. First of all this poem shows that hope encourages effort. If you do not have the power in you to hope then you will not want to even try. This thought is truly shown in line 7 of this poem. without hope it is extremely hard to have the courage to start. Secondly, it takes confidence to persevere. this is exemplified in line 11 of this poem. confidence gives you the hope to keep you going. If you honestly think that you will fail then it's better to just give up. lastly skill isn't everything. This is shown in the last stanza of the poem. Skill comes from work. work comes form the hope to win at anything and everything you do. Overall this poem shows That in many ways mind triumphs over matter.

Article posted January 24, 2012 at 02:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 38

If I could change the world,

I would end suffering,

and bring world peace,

everyone helping each other out,

instead of fighting shouts.

I would end bias thoughts,

I would make friends

instead of getting shot.

I would end hunger,

I would end getting sick,

I would end greed,

And end the power trip,

I would make everyone speak.

Instead of getting shut out,

The world happy and

no one doubts,

That they ain't worth anything.

No more problems for anyone

to be something,

No more depression,

No one would be second

guessing.

Everyone would have

confidence,

And no more empires,

no more fighting,

everyone happily

uniting.

If I could change the world, Everyone would have confidence for themselves, and know they have the power to overcome anything.

Matthew Petranovich

Text to Text : This reminds me of the stories we've been reading about changing the world i think they all have the same message.

Text to Self : I agree with the message of this poem that we should start to change our world so we can all enjoy a better life.

Text to World: I saw a story on the news a few weeks ago about changing the world one step at a time.

Article posted December 13, 2011 at 02:14 AM GMT • comment • Reads 483

The one thing that I wouldn't be able to live without is my friends and my family. This is almost the exact opposite of scrooges answer. all that scrooge wants is money and he doesn't care about other people or the rest of humanity. Even his own nephew can't break his miserly ways and his humbug attitude.

Article posted November 16, 2011 at 02:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 36

In my opinion the perfect setting for a mystery story is in a large banquet for example. in this instance the banquet hall holding a multitude of people would go into complete lockdown therefore completing a completely closed setting. the detective might come bursting in and interview a large group of people while not letting anyone leave so that you have a certain group that the criminal is from and a certain place that he or she is conatained in.

Fear can be your friend or your enemy. Fear can take over you and freeze you on the spot when you least need it. Or make your run faster and jump higher in times of fear. Having the right balance of fear is necessary to having a good life. If you are to fearful you will never have any fun and be scared of anything and everything new. But having a healthy amount of fear is what keeps you from doing extremely dangerous things. For example fear is what keeps you from jumping off a 10 story building or rafting down niagara falls. Even though fear can come from anything remember you have to have a healthy amount of fear.

Article posted October 4, 2011 at 03:21 AM GMT • comment (2) • Reads 219

My favorite short story so far has been Charles. Charles was my favorite story because it was very ironic. I really liked the irony in the story because it gave the end of the story such a twist. Secondly I liked Charles because it was funny the things that Charles does brings a sense of humor into the story. All in all Charles was a very good short story