-

Blogging is a fun, engaging way to write!

by teacher: Mrs. Freitas

Here let me tell you about the story across the wide dark sea. Setting- Plymouth England 1620.One day on a tiny ship over 100 people sailing to freedom so I’ll tell you about the middle and the end so let’s start. The people on the ship had barely any food just beans and biscuits .They did not shower or even go to the bathrooms for moths. They had to stay out of the sailor’s way. Then one day one gut said (LAND IS NEAR) they all Thot he was Looney. Days past and no land more days past then LAND someone called there was land everyone was shocked they all got out of the ship all crazy they ate all fresh food they weren’t corroded they had freedom.

Date

Dear Grandma ,

I am go on the Mayflower I. The captain is mean. We are eating the same food. It is no fun. I miss you. I hope I see you again .

Dear mom, 11-04-1620

How are you doing? Leslie and me miss you so much. I hope you see Leslie and me soon and I love you. We just got on the Mayflower. It’s so packed on the Mayflower I hope there’s no storm.

You cannot believe how much people gotten sick. I hope Leslie and me don’t get sick. Or we will get really sick and die. I don’t want that to happen. Good thing you didn’t go then you will get sick.

Two days later. Leslie got sick really sick. She didn’t want anything to eat. So we didn’t know what to do and I hope we find medicine for everyone hopefully.

A few days later some person found medicine in the boat for everyone. Then everyone got better. Everything got better because there’s no more sickness. Are you getting sick? I hope you aren’t sick then that will be bad.

Now where finally here at the unknown village. We hope to see you again someday. I love you so much. Come and see our new settlement it’s very nice and really big.

Sincerely, Ayana Cortez

Mayflower

4-29-1620

Dear Mom,

I do not believe I was on such a crazy exploration. I was on the Mayflower. I remember me getting on the Mayflower with my dad. I thought this would be easy. I also remember me petting my dog. I also remember us beginning to move. Then our journey began.

The first night was ok. But the second night was terrible. Storms happened over night, a man fell overboard. He went under the boat and drowned. We all were scared. Even the toughest guy was scared. I held my dad’s hand as hard as I could.

The lightning was so loud it almost made a man deaf. It was so terrifying and no one knew what to do. It almost struck the boat. The lighting almost gave someone a heart attack. It sounded like a bunch of guns firing.

When the storm was done we had a few minutes to relax. And try to get some sleep. When it was morning we ate some biscuits and some cheese. Then we noticed we were almost out of food. Then 2 days later we ran out of food. Then a week later my dad died. I was so sad. I did not know what to do.

A day after my dad died two more people died I was scared I was about to die any minute. Then when all hope was lost a man said lands ahead. No one dare believed him. Then an hour we did see land. I was sad that my dad could not see this. And the other people who did not.

Your son,

Connor

Article posted November 27, 2011 at 12:11 AM GMT • comment • Reads 48

The last few weeks have been disaster! First we ran out of fresh food, Jametrius got sick, we’re down to are last drops of water, and Jerry stopped eating. We cured Jametrius, and then we start to fish for food, and then Jerry ate again

4-20-1620

Dear Bella,

You will never guess what I am doing tomorrow! I am going on the Mayflower, I am excited but then I am scared. We will start our long journey to a new land. I have a lot of questions on my mind like what if the is a big storm and I get electrocuted and I don’t live, or what if someone goes overboard, or what if there is a storm and the food gets soggy? What if we run out of food on the trip? I am on such a big adventure. I sure will miss you during the trip, wish me luck!

I was so scared last night there was a huge storm. I felt the boat rocking back and forth. Soon the sun came out just when I felt dry, I saw more clouds gathering. Then the storm had come I heard the thunder roared through the night “Crash, crash” I got so scared that I clung to my mother’s hand, I don’t usually do that. The thunder was as loud as cannons. I could hear the wind. It was so strong that it shook the ship so hard that someone got washed overboard, luckily he had caught on to a rope and he was pulled to safety and his life was saved. People got soaking wet and got so sick that some of the people died and did not get to see the new land and never got the freedom that they always wanted, I stared then prayed for a moment. For my pray I said that god bless them and I hope they are happy with you living in your kingdom, Amen.

Just when I thought my mother had passed away a miracle happened. Someone had come with some medicine I begged and begged then they had asked me why I said because my mother she is dyeing then he and I rushed to my mother and her life was saved I told him thank you and he said you’re welcome. Just when all hope was lost one of the sailors said “land’s ahead” we hardly believe him but a few hours later we saw bits of sand, fishes and clams. A small boat full of people filled the boat and went searching to see what they could find or if the land was dangerous. They said that land was safe so we all went to shore that day we had finally ate fresh food for the 1st time in 9 weeks I ate so many that my stomach got sick. Soon winter had come and it was freezing and many died again. We had finally found the perfect place and as the years passed our small piece of land turned in to a small town. That was that the time I will never forget. Maybe you can come one time and visit me, see you later.

From,

Chante

Dear Mom,

I am going on a ship today with my brothers Marco and Frankie. Me and Marco were playing a game and then Frankie hit Marco in the eye and fell in the water. The Sailor couldn’t find him then he put his arm out and the sailor pulled him out of the water. Then they said sorry. Then we got to shore and the sailors went to see if there was beasts and wild men. When they came back there was no sign of people so then we have our village. I felt happy but sad because Marco got hit in the eye.

Love,

Arryana

September 16, 1620

Dear Mom,

Hi mom! How are you doing? I miss you and the family! Today Alena and I were passengers on the Mayflower! You can’t believe how many storms we have had! The last one was really bad.

The waves were so big, the waves took Alena overboard. I lost it when she was overboard. I fell on my knees and started crying and crying. Just then when I thought she was gone, the sailors jumped into action! One sailor got a rope and another sailor got her out of the sea. I am so glad she came back! One time a man got swept over board! Lucky for him because there was a rope by him and, he pulled his self up!

One day a storm was coming and the sailors send Alena, me and all the other pilgrims down below deck! It was very cramp below deck! Luckily Alena and I got a little place in the corner out of the cold and damp. Some had to stay in the ships small work boat. Also the food they are giving us, it is very dry and nasty! I got sick just eating that food. Even though this trip is getting hard, I know every thing will be okay!

Love,

Sophia

**2 months later**

November 21, 1620

Dear Mom,

Hi mom! Someone just said, “Lands Ahead!” We did not believe him but then they said, “Land Ho!” so we went to the land! Alena and I were so happy! When we got there, we washed our clothes in a little lake. We made a settlement and it is nice. Maybe one day you can came one day and visit! Love,

Sophia

Hello, Mom I really miss you I am on the ship with my friends Anyssa, Layla, and Dad.

there are a lot of pepole falling over bord and some sailors.During a big storm Dad was washed over bored When I thought dad was gone all of my friends were sad when I lost hope that dad was never going to come back the sailors grabed the rope they would need at the new land they through the rope out to sea and caught dad and saved his life.

Finally we got to the new land and we had to find a place to live.

love

Alyssa

Dear Mom,

It is the third day and the trip is going well. I haven’t eaten much because some people need food more than me. I have been cramped in a small spot and I don’t have very much room to sleep. Some people have pets with them. But I think they should have left them with people that can have pets without taking much room up.

There is a storm going on right now. A man got crushed by a beam not to long ago. But he is O.K. but the men are talking about a way to fix the beam. They are about to tell us if we sail on or go back. I hope we sail on. So if we go back we did this long way for nothing.

We are going to sail on. That’s what I heard from a man. So I think we go sailing on. I heard the main sailor say we sail on. I love sailing on. We are getting more and more hungry as we go on to we are also running out of food. But we are fishing and getting lots of fish.

What I heard a man say land ho. It was we found land and we said thanks to the lord. For taking us to a new land.

We love this new land we are playing when we take a break from finishing the last house. I wish you were here with me. It is a wonderful land. This was letter to you mom.

Love,

Justin

November 10, 1620

Dear Eric and Masyn,

Oh, how I miss you. I feel terrible leaving you guys behind but we all know it’s for the best. Well how are you and Masyn doing? I am doing fine. Sometimes tragic but fine. I am so very, very sorry that I missed your Birthday sweetie pie. You know that you are the best thing that ever happened to me, so happy birthday! Oh by the way Isabella, Sophia, Michal, Dad, Mom, Maya and Evangeline are fine.

Oh my gosh! I just have to tell you about last week! So we were sailing and all of a sudden it got really foggy, and we could not see which way we should go. Then Sophia caught a cold and then got really sick. Then Isabella got really sick. And then I didn’t know what to do because Michal was super sick and I was just terrified, because I was trying to take care of all of them at the same time. I had no idea what to do. I lost hope in everything. Some people died and pops took care of them some people almost died but mom made soup for the sick, but most important people lost hope nobody thought that we were going to find the new land. Oh I wish you were here! I love and miss you.

Sooner or later we found the new land we named it Plymouth. People got better. But not Michal. Oh, my sisters and I prayed for hours then days then weeks. Then finally he got better. We all celebrated with some coconuts. WE FOUND LAND I CAN’T BELIVE THIS! Well I can believe this. I will come back to where you are so that you can come live with me oh I can’t wait to see you!

Love,

Kayla

P.S I love guys so much!

Dear Nana and Tata,

Hula abuelitos, how are you guys? I miss you a lot. How are things going over there? Over here I don’t like it but Niño Lenny says we will be free once we get to the new land so I just hope we get there safe and sound. And once we get settled in you can come visit. Let me tell you how my days here on the mayflower have been.

Well on the first day when we left England we were all nervous. Mama and Bridgette got sick right away. But nothing serious like tuberculosis it was just seasickness. Niño and me got sick on the third day. I felt terrible especially because we were all wet cause all of the storms. I just wanted to go back but we couldn’t we were already far out in the deep, vast ocean. I wanted to die. This went on the whole time we were there except for the being sick that was only going on for like about 3 weeks so we all ended up fine. We just were cold the whole time.

Do you know what we had for food? We had salt; bean, pork and we had dry biscuits and cheese. I felt like barfing the whole time we were on there. We wanted to die cause we were not use to this white people food besides from the beans and pork. Cause you always make us sopita or albondigas and nice green tea. So I didn’t like it I threw up several times. Yuck=http://!

We slept in the bottom deck and we were all cramped up I couldn’t ever stretch my legs me, nati or Niño, or mama. And if you haven’t guessed already Niño really want to die he hates being on this little tiny boat when he I like a giant. So hasn’t been able to sleep. We need room to breath especially us cause we are cursed with these long legs.

Well nana and Tata this has been our journey on the mayflower. But I will keep you updated. Okay, I love you. I will get back to you soon! I love you write back.

Dear Mom, 5-19-1620

I think this a dream but it’s not, its happening, I am on the Mayflower. I am going to have a big adventure.

The people are wearing hand – me – downs. They’re shoes have holes in them. The girls have hoods on their heads, so I put one on too. The boys are really boring, they make their own shoes. Their shirts are old and ripped up. The girls are the same but they have color, the boys do not.

A huge storm is coming, everyone is yelling. I went out of the room, Maya tried to stop me but there were kids out there. I have to go save the, I got two kids and two more. It is raining really hard, I hear a kid saying help me, help me. I see her, I am running with her in my arms then a huge wave was coming. I told Maya here take her. Then out of the blue the wave hit the boat, I was washed out. The wave was crazy, when Maya saw me in the water she jumped in and was yelling, "Mikailah! Where are you!" She saw me, so she was swimming really hard towards me. She grabbed my hand and pulled me up to the boat. She was happy I was alive. I went to the room and I was really wet.

Then the sun came up, everyone came up from the room. A guy said, "LAND HO!" We were so happy, everyone was crying with joy. The men threw up the hats.

Everyone is really happy, the girls were crying. Maya and I were crying with joy. We found land! The sand was so soft, the water was perfect, there is coconut trees too. One boy climbed the tree and broke a coconut with his head. We call this land Hawaii. I think we will like it here. Well, bye I hope to hear from you soon.

Love Always,

Mikailah Caamano

September 6, 1620

Dear Dad,

Hi dad! How are you doing? I really miss you and the family! Today Alexa, Briana, Mom, and I all left England on the Mayflower to go find a new land so we can have freedom and worship god in our own way!

You will never believe how many people are getting sick by all of this food. There was this really rotten biscuit and it made Briana sick. This is what happens when we keep eating dry biscuits, and cheese. My mom started crying because my sister looks awful, I am so scared because she is a really cool sister.

The next day my sister still didn’t feel well and I thought she was going to die, she just kept getting worse and worse. My mom, Alexa and I started to worry even more. I mean out of all people it has to be my sister. Let’s hope she is better tomorrow!

Even though this trip is taking a lot of days, I know everything will turn out right. The things that we cannot get over are the storms, the food, people dying, and some other things. Well Briana woke up the next morning feeling like she wanted to dance. My mom was so happy she wanted to cry and she did. I was so happy, my sister was healthy and excited!

You’re Daughter,

Alyssa

***2 months later***

November 21, 1620

Dear Dad,

It has been 9 weeks and the captain just said “Land Ahead!” We did not believe him at first but we saw a tree branch, seaweed, and a land bird! I said “Mommy, Mommy land is ahead!” She said “Oh My Gosh, Yay!” Everybody on the boat started to dance it was funny, so we tagged along. Then a guy said “Land Ho!” We waited for the boat to stop and then we got on to the canoe! I got off the boat and once I touched the sand of the new land I fell to my knees and the captain said prayers! Everybody started to cry and so did I, I was relieved. See dad I told everything was going to be alright! What a crazy trip though?

You’re Daughter,

Alyssa

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 05:17 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 44

March 12, 1620

Dear Ayana,

I am writing this letter to tell you about my trip on the Mayflower! Well so far the boat is really nice. This place is SOOO cramped! The sailor told us we needed to stay in an emergency spot under the boat. I went with my cousin Andres!

Ok so the sailor said there is a storm a really bad storm. I and my cousin ran around in circles. AHHH Andres flew over board then a navy guy came and tied a navy knot to save him. Then we went under the boat because of the storm. It was SO full. We needed to go out to even stretch!

So the storm ended, we are so happy!! Then after that we ate breakfast. We ate cheese with a bagel and milk. Then me and my cousin played tag. It was really fun. Then we met Maya. She is really nice. Then we played hide and seek.

Then lightning hit the boat and made a fire. We needed to stay under the boat under the ground. The navy guy’s name was Bob. He helped put out the fire. The we heard something AMAZING… we heard… LAND HO! There was a beautiful water fall. There was food, water and shelter! So I hope you get this letter soon!

Sincerely,

Adrian

Article posted November 4, 2011 at 09:38 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 43

Dear Momand Dad, June 25, 1620

Hello!! How are you guys? I am doing ok. I remember when I took my first step on the boat. I was so nervous! I was happy and scared all at the same time! I was also sad because I left you guys. I guess I was just all mixed emotions about leaving you guys and happy to start a better life with my friends!!

You cannot believe how many storms we have had already, and how many people have gotten sick due to the storms. We have had about 50 storms already! We have all already gotten sick and some people have died. Alyssa has gotten super sick. So has Mikailah and Adrian, they have gotten so sick that they can barely move. I got really sick and I was in a coma for 2 days. It is also so cold and wet in our corner I fear that we might die soon. I have also gotten frost bite. I just pray that we will be ok.

Guess what! The worst thing happened yesterday!! Sophia and Alyssa fell overboard yesterday. We were so worried. They were lost at sea for 20 minutes. I was going crazy because I was looking for a rope so we could save them. I thought that was it and they were going to die. I started crying. I just prayed and prayed.

I was relived when I found a rope. Adrian, Mikailah, and I pulled them up. They were very badly injured. But as our luck took a turn for the better we found a doctor on the boat. He helped them and gave them some medicine. When he got done helping them they had bandages all over them, they looked like mummies. 2 hours later they felt a little bit better I think the medicine started to kick in. I am just happy and glad that they are ok. I am also excited! The sailor said “Lands Ahead.”

Today Sophia fell over board again. She started swimming then we heard here say “Land Ho” Everybody started cheering and crying and it was just a happy moment. We are all so excited. When we got off the boat I ran and jumped and stretched out my legs and said “ Hurray, Hurray!!” I was as happy as can be!! We were all happy and excited!!

Well I love you guys and I hope you move here soon!! It’s a great place so far!!

Love you guys!!

Julia

Dear Chante,

I am going to tell you about my trip on the Mayflower. It is my 3 brothers, 2 sisters, mom and dad and me. We are in a little tiny corner and we have very little food. There is also a storm that is almost hitting the boat. Three of our passengers on the Mayflower just got carried away by a storm.

My family just jumped out of the Mayflower to swim to land. Now that were on land we have no food or shelter or clothes we lost all of our clothes in the ocean. My dad found a perfect place to build a house. Now there is another storm and it cared my whole family away except me and a brother and sister and it destroyed the house that my family built.

It is the next day we are still hungry and very cold. The only thing we had left was 1 pair of clothes. My brother is looking for food and found a fish and 4 clams. So we made a fire with two sticks to keep us warm and to cook the fish.

The next day I woke up another storm was coming. A few hours later the storm was still going on but then I saw something… it was my family. The boys started to rebuild the house and the girls went to find food. We named the house The Lau Mayflower.

After a while there were no more storms and we were better we were not sick or anything else. I hope someday you can come visit us.

Sincerely,

Bella Lau

1620

Dear brother Rick,

How is the family doing? How is the whether in Plymouth, England? I wonder if you will even get this letter. I made a new friend his name is name is Zayne. I bet that you would be great friends with Zayne.

Today there is going to be a storm so all of us have to go in the low deck. Tomorrow there will be another storm will come. Everybody is getting sick because the food is wet and moldy. A lot of people are dying. Our sister is really sick.

Our sister is in a coma. The doctor says that it will be about two or three days till we could tell if she will make it or not. I can’t even see here. People will check on her every hour. The doctor is about to tell us if she is alive or not.

Right about when the doctor is going to tell us; she walks right behind him! “She is alive” the doctor says. I was filled up with tears because I was so happy. I was down on my knees thanking god to let her live. I thanked the doctor so much for helping our sister.

After a week or two we saw a clump of seaweed. After about a day or three we all saw some driftwood. Some guy said “I can smell land” but none of us believed him. After a wail the navigator says “LAND-HO”. Finally land now to find a new home.

From,

Arthur M.

September 13, 1620

Dear Mom and Dad,

Hi mom and dad today is the day the May flower sets sail in search of new land. I wish you guys could be here with your sons.

September 15, 1620

Yesterday we set sail to new land. For supper we had salted pork, beans, and bread. But I’m not so sure this food will last to long!

September 17, 1620

This is the 5th day on sea Wyatt and Deago are starting to get sick and Deontae is starting to starve. But I will never give up hope!

September 19, 1620

7th day on the sea and the sailors say theirs a bad storm coming so I probably wont be able to write to you until the start of the new month!

November 23, 1620

46th day on the Sea there is a bad sickness going around *cough* almost everyone on the boat has it. Most people are dying because of this sickness. Others have starved to death. We’re down to eatin rats and dry biscuits and cheese. We should be hitting land in 3 days.

Love,

Evan

November 25, 1620

It’s Evan 1 more days until we hit land and deago dies. These are hard times.*LAND HO* what we hit land. I got to go.

November 26, 2011

Yesterday we hit land their was a crazy party! We sent out a search party it was me, Deontae, Wyatt and Caelin. People said watch out for the wild men and wild men. They handed us our rifles and we were of!

November 27, 2011

We had been searching for a place to start a settlement for a day. We found a perfect hill to build houses. A creek right next to the area. For fresh water. Also a crop area not to far. Now we have what we want. This will be my last entry bye.

Sincerely,

Evan N.

Across The Wide Dark Sea by: Reyna R.

Dear, Alexa

I just wanted to tell you about my trip to the mayflower. Well so far it is horrible mom, and dad and me are all sick. And dad almost fell off the edge of the boat because mom was trying to do some of the stuff that dad does and it didn’t turn out very well I cant wait to see you again, and tell you all the other adventures we’ve had.

Love,

Reyna

November 17, 1620

Dear Mom,

How have you been doing? Dad and I have been ok considering that Dad has gotten a little bit sick. There is only a few things to eat; biscuits, cheese, and salted meat. I hope I can see you again.

November 18, 1620

Dad has gotten sicker. He has a mean cough and a runny nose. He could barely walk, so I made him a little bed so that he could sleep. A lot of people have gotten sick too. One person has died.

November 19, 1620

Well, me and dad were sleeping. I heard one of the sailors yell out, "Land ho." I went on deck and I saw it, The New Land. As we were waiting a few sailors went to go and check it out to see if it was safe.

November 20, 1620

They came back after about a day, then they said that it was safe for us to go and check it out ourselves. I have found out a cool little hang out all ready. I have asked one of the doctors to help me find a medicine for dad. We found something and it helped dad a little. He has started to walk again.

November 21, 1620

I love The New Land. You should come some day and see The New Land. How is Frank doing? Tell Robert that Dad and I are doing alright. I miss you guys.

Sincerely,

Deago

Across The Wide Dark Sea

So I am going to tell you about across the wide dark sea. There was a tiny ship caring over 100 people. They had barely any food all they had was beans and biscuits and the ship was always wet. They had no bathrooms so they could not take showers or anything they were on the ship for a long time then finaly they found land every body was so happy now they do have to be crowded they did not have to eat the same things for days so every body was so happy.

Dear Grandma, November 4, 1620

Hi, how’s it been in Plymouth? It is very harsh here on the Mayflower. Do you want to know how I have been on our long trip to the New Land? If you do keep on reading.

Many people are getting sick and I am one of them. People are also dying too. My brother almost died, but somehow he got better and is ok now.

The food is so disgusting. I hate dry biscuits and the rotten, moldy, nasty cheese that the rats won’t even touch. We had salt pork, beans, biscuits, and cheese, but now we just have those hard biscuits that are as hard as rocks. We have to put the biscuits where it is leaking so they can get softer or we’ll break our teeth. We still have cheese left but it is really moldy and nasty.

We also have had terrible storms. I am under one in the storage shack while writing this letter. A few storms back my brother got swept by a wave! The sailors were working hard to get him back up. My brother got a hold of a rope. Then the sailor yelled to let go so he let go and the sailor grabbed him. I was so happy that my brother didn’t drown. Other people got swept overboard but they were all saved.

There was also water leaking and it was terrible. It was damp and cold. It kept on dripping on my head but I couldn’t move in the cramped place. I was shivering cold. My nose was red and my allergies were acting up. I hate my allergies. They make me feel bad. The dampness made my allergies worse. People were also bad because of their allergies. People were also getting really bad colds, too.

So that’s how it’s been since we left Plymouth. I hope you can visit when we get to the new land. Or you can move and live with me. See you soon.

From,

Jorge

Dear Beckwith Family,

I hope you guys are doing well and I hope you get this letter soon!

You’re not going to believe this… when everybody woke up for breakfast, we all looked in the box that we put our food and drinks in. There was dry food and rats eating it. Also the drinks were busted some how. It was a disaster. My mom said, “How did the drinks bust” and I said, “I don’t know, that’s weird.” “And how did rats get into the box when it was locked.” Everybody stayed quiet. We all were starving for food and drinks.

At first there was a little storm while my entire family was on the boat starving. All of the sudden lightening began to strike, the thunder boomed and the ship began to shake. My entire family looked like they wanted to vomit and faint. We were all extremely tired!

The next day we all woke up late. We went to sleep at 2:30 in the morning. 4 months later… A couple of months we woke up when it was the day time. I was extremely tired so I went to sleep. 1 hour later… When I woke up I went to the back of the boat and as I was watching the water, all the sudden I seen leaves, birds, and trees. I went to look for everybody I told them “we are going to land” and they went to the front of the boat and they looked down and they started seeing leaves too. The boat stop and my entire family looked up and they saw sand. My family was so excited! My mom was happy and crying because she didn’t think we can make it. Right when I and my mom got off of that boat she gave everybody a big lovely hug!

I hope you guys learned from what I wrote!

Sincerely, Deontae B.

Dear Jr,

How are you doing? I miss you and the family. Me and Soleil are doing all right. Remember 200 pilgrims including me and Soleil set out to find the new land where we can worship god in our own way.

A lot of people got sick. Storms with big waves and wet, damp, and foggy weather. A lot of people were sweepted overboard. We had to eat dry biscuits and hard cheese.

I thought I had lost her forever. I was crying to my knees. When I saw the wave it was at least 60-70 feet high in the air.

Just when I thought Soleil was gone, a whale blowed Soleil out of the whales blowhole. Then she said “I want to try that again”.

Even though this is a hard and scary journey, I know I’m going to be okay if I’m healthy and strong.

Your brother,

Kyle B.

Dear Aunt Samantha,

We are missing you very much and baby brother John says your name over and over again. I and Sister Mia miss you. Baby John got really sick but I will be telling you more about that later. Enjoy=http://

During our voyage to the new land we were running out of food. We were so worried because John is very little and he needs food to stay well. We felt bad for the little guy so me, Mia and John were really hungry one morning and we snuck some food and ate it; it was just a little pot of beans that we shared. We got in trouble the next day because they noticed the food was gone. Our punishment was we did not get supper (except John of course). We were just so hungry and vulnerable. My mother died because she did not have enough food. It was a real hard time on us.

Now I am going to tell you about when Brother John got really sick! Since we did not have a lot of food John needed food BAD! He was super skinny and would not go to the bathroom!! He would cry all night long and was not a happy baby at the time. And just when he was about to die… We heard a man on the ship say “land ho!” Me and Mia burst out in tears and did a happy dance! When we got to land there was fruits and all kinds of food!

So it turned out to be all worth it for now! Write back soon!!!!

Love,

Rudi Handomen

Across The Wide Dark Sea

The story Across the Wide Dark Sea is some people who are leaving there country because they want to pray their own way. Some of the people were scared to go on the boat because they might get tipped over and might drown mostly they are probably scared because they can’t swim or if the boat might drown. Some people are really scared taking the boat to a country where they don’t know what the place is or what the place looks like. Some of the people that were on the boat really did not want to leave because there home is there and were they were born from and probably there mom and dad were born there but they passed away.

Dear Grandmother, I miss you very much. Would you like to hear about how I’m doing on this trip? Ok, well sit down and enjoy my story. You won’t believe it but the Mayflower (boat) has just passed by a storm. The storm made a little crack so now the boat won’t stop leaking.

Now my my mom, sister, and dad are very scared but don’t worry. Some guys are trying to fix it. Oh my god some guy has just got it. It’s fixed and no more people are getting wet. One morning a guy said there’s land ho. I got up and I started to yell and started to wake up everybody. Everybody was happy. It was the most amazing day of my life.

November 4, 1620

Dear Uncle Fred,

How are you doing? I really miss you and the family. We are not so good on the Mayflower. I wish you could come with us. Is there anything new back at home?

You won’t believe how many storms we have had! The last one was really bad. We have to eat nasty food like hard biscuits and dry cheese. People are sick and some are dying. We are always wet and damp.

I thought all was lost when the water swept my mom overboard. I fell to my knees and cried. I knew we shouldn’t have left our safe home to go to the new land.

Just when I thought my mom was gone she grabbed on to a rope hanging on the side of the ship and she held on for help. So we helped her up. I hugged her and said that I thought that she was going to die.

Even though this trip was hard I knew that when we reached land that everything was going to be okay. Maybe you can come over to the new land for a visit.

Sincerely,

Zachary

September 6, 1620

Dear Aunt Lidia,

How are you doing? I really miss you and how is the dog, and the family? Let the whole family see this letter. Hopefully you will get to visit the new land. I hope that we keep in touch.

A few weeks ago I boarded the Mayflower. I thought that it was going to be a wonderful trip but I was wrong our food is infested with mice, rats, and bugs. We ran out of salted pork so we had to eat moldy biscuits, and moldy cheese. It is damp, and wet, which is making people sick.

Today there was a bad storm and you will never believe what happened, it was windy and stormy. The sailors had to send us down below deck. I was urging my sister to come and get below deck too. But then a huge wave came and swept her overboard

I fell to my knees and started to cry but just when I thought she was gone the sailors rushed into action. They threw ropes overboard, she grabbed one of the ropes and they started to pull her up. When she fell on the deck, I ran to her and took off my apron and wrapped it around her. I took her bellow deck, some of the sailors got her towels. She got a cold but she recovered the next day. Miss you!!!

Love,

Alexa

P.S. make sure to feed Bruno the dog.

January 16, 1620

Dear Joel,

I can’t believe I’m on an adventure; I’m on the Mayflower because our old land got flooded. Today is January 23, 1620 it’s been a week since we left land. It’s cold outside. My family is Mikailah, my mom, my cousin Adrian, and my sister Maya. We are starving, we have to eat biscuits and cheese.

My cousin and I were playing and the sailor said, “a storm is coming.” The sailors were in a hurry to get the sails down. Everybody ran inside for shelter, me and my cousin were still playing outside and my mom called us to go inside. She said, “Hurry inside children.” We ran inside.

Then the storm grew larger and a man named Fernando fell overboard. The sailor couldn't find the life raft and Fernando was drowning, everyone was worried. The sailor said, "found it!” but the sailor tripped and I got the life raft and I threw it to Fernando. The sailor got up and helped me pull Fernando to safety. Fernando was cold and he was shivering.

Finally the storm ended, everyone was cheering. But Fernando was sick and died. One of the sailors said, “Land ahead.” We have to sleep now but the problem is: we have to sleep in a cramped place.

The next morning the sailor said “Land ho!” Some men went to see if the land was dangerous. After three hours the men came back and everyone got out of the Mayflower. Our mother washed the clothes we wore for TWO MONTHS! My cousin and I were swinging on vines.

Sincerely,

Andres

Dear mother,

I miss you so much. I wish you could be with me right now. We have traveled six weeks straight and we haven’t reached any land.

We have gotten lots of storms on the mayflower. One week ago we had a really big storm. The ship was going back and forth so wildly. When suddenly lightning hit the ship. Then we realized it broke a beam. I yelled what are going to do.

We were worried that we were not going to make it to the new land. Two days later the captain remembered that we were taking tools to the new world so they used that to repair the beam. I helped the sailors.

I have to say good bye mother. I hope we reach land soon

September 6, 1620

Dear Walter,

I’m going to tell you about how we're doing on the Mayflower while struggling in this little ship with a hundred people. Imagine sleeping with all those people cramped up and squished. Oh yeah, how’s the family, we all miss you guys. Hope I see you soon.

Well people ask why we took this crazy journey and this is the reason why. At our old home we were held in little cells because we had to follow their religion and we didn’t want to. So we sailed away to find new land where we are free and we can practice our own religion. So that’s why we left our old home.

We have to eat the same food every day, which is salt pork, biscuits, beans, and sometimes we just eat dry biscuits and cheese. The fire goes out because of the water dripping from the roof too. Then people started losing hope that we won't find land and the food would get moldy and maybe we would all die.

So while the roof was dripping and making the fire go out, people were trying to figure out how to stop the leak. Then one person said we could put one of the beams up for the houses. So we tried his idea. After we put it up it worked perfectly and we could cook food again.

After a while we started to see bird feathers, seaweed and then someone said, "Land ho!"We were so happy and excited that we found a new land after traveling for several months. We didn’t know if we were going to have a good spot to plant and build homes or if there was animals to hunt and eat. So some people went out to go check out the land, I waited all that day for those people to come back. Finally they came and said it was safe, one of the sailors said that he couldn’t find the right spot to plant and build homes. Then out of nowhere one of the sailors said there was a perfect spot over the hill and my dad smiled and we celebrated.

So that’s my journey across the vast ocean and let me tell you something, always keep your hopes high. I hope that I can see you guys again.

Your Cousin,

Caelin Norgord

Dear Mandy,

I wanted to tell you about my Mayflower trip. It was scary because my dad almost fell overboard but my mom was helping me through all kinds of ropes over the edge. Thankfully we got my dad back on the ship. Everyone was so happy that my dad made it back on the ship. We were so grateful that my father was ok. My mom and my dad were thanking every one.

We almost got to land and we were excited about making it to the new land. We heard the lookout shout, “Land ho!” We were crowding on the deck. We saw all kinds of beautiful trees not like the England trees. But the good news is that we do not have to follow any ones religion. I feel very happy that we made it all right to the new land but the bad news is that a lot of us are very sick.

Sincerely

Alexa Nunez

Dear Dominic, Yasmine & Alexis,

I made a time travel machine that took me

Into the time of the Mayflower. When I landed

On the Mayflower it was in a storm. The Capitan told me to take control of the ship. I don’t know how to steer a ship but wait I remember. My Tata Eddie taught me. Drive slowly; keep your hand on the wheel and when you’re in a storm spin the wheel.

Then I took control of the ship. Big waves hit and got me wet until a super. Big wave hit the ship. The ship was leaning side to side and I tried my best to keep it balanced.

I looked at my compass. Up ahead is the new land. My compass points to the thing that I want most. Then I said, “Hoist the sails! Pull those ropes nice and tight!” then I got the thrill of my life. It was the biggest wave I ever saw, big as the empire state building. Then they crashed on me.

I almost died. I will tell you how when the waves hit me I was washed off the ship. Luckily I saw a rope in sight and cling on with my life. I climbed back up and I reached for my compass and I saw a maelstrom on the side of the ship it was the portal to the house and I saw my family went through another way to it then I jump into the portal and we landed on the couch then I looked backed up they found the land and I smiled then the portal closed

Then we all relaxed THE END

September 15, 1620

Dear Aunt Sally,

I can’t believe I am on such a big adventure. I am also excited because I am going on the Mayflower. I am going to tell you what I did on the Mayflower. I hope you like this letter.

There was a huge storm the other night, so I have to go below deck. The storm was so strong the ship had a leak but it is ok because the sailors put a new post underneath so it can patch all the leaks.

The lightning was strong and struck the ship. The lightning also struck my father. We ran out of food and then we caught a fish. A man got washed overboard then he pulls a rope to safely.

Just when I thought my father was going, a miracle happened. The miracle is he gets up. My mother got sick so she has to rest to get better. There were so many people on the Mayflower. There are more then hundred people on the Mayflower.

I know we will reach land soon and I will be good. I really miss and I hope you get this letter. I hope I see you soon.

Sincerely,

Lisa

Dear Grandmother,

Grandmother I am on a trip on the Mayflower. I am very screed because the rain has not calmed down. It is a very bad storm. My sister Camilla has been very sick and we don’t have any medicine. It has been a rough week. We always need to stay below deck to stay out of the captain’s way. For weeks we have been eating the same food and finally my mom washed our clothes. I went up on the deck to stretch my legs and right when I thought my feet and shoes were dry, a storm was coming near.

Oh I did not tell you, last time during a storm my father was swapped over deck. I felt like I was never going to see him again. Then as I thought I was never going to see him again some men came and threw a rope and he got it and his life was saved. Me and my brother and sister and mother hugged the men and thanked them for saving his life. After that is was time for us to go down deck again to stay out of the captain’s way. Then more storm was coming I yelled, “Storm is coming! ‘’ and that is all grandmother. We all miss you.

Love Fatima Zepeda

9/15/1620

Dear mom,

You will not belive where I am right now. I am on the may flower going to the new world. We are going there because we want to be able to worship god in our own way. The salors sayed it would be a long tripwe cant get in the salors way at all because if a storm is coming the salors have to take down the sailes quick!

9/16/1620

We have ben on this ship for three months and twenty two days. It has ben storm after storm after storm. Almost half the ship is sick even the captain! 5 people have already died. I have made a new friend on this ship and his name is Josiah. Sometimes we play marbles together below deck or play with the dog above deck.

9/17/1620

Today there was a leak and we have to pach it up quickly because there is a storm coming. We are so close to land now but there is another storm ahead! The dog just got swept of the ship! Me and Josiah are realy sad. ☹ We get to the beach and guess who I find wating on the beach soaking wet… THE DOG! We are all realy happy now 1 we found the new world 2 we found the dog wating for us and 3 it wont be wet no more.

Syncerly,

Troy Briggs

Dear Aunt Lilly,

How have you been? I’ve missed you so much. I long to see you again.

Right now I am on the Mayflower searching for a land to settle in. This ship is cold, damp, slippery, and wet. I try to find comfort but it is so congested there is little room to relax. Plus the food is not good. Some of our food had spoiled and some had been stolen by pesky mice.

It is hard to sleep but even with this torture we will not give up. I have faith that we will find this new land.

We had lots of problems on this ship before like strong, furious storms. People are getting sick, but nobody has died yet. All these problems, though, are not compare to this other problem. This other problem was dreadful. This problem had something to do with the captain.

One beautiful day, with no storms, everybody felt relaxed at last. Just when I was feeling relaxed too, something terrible happened. The captain started coughing and choking. Sailors rushed to his side.

People started to panic, including me. My father, mother, and brother must have heard the commotion and rushed toward me. “What happened?” My mother asked. Soon I heard others asking the same questions my mother had just asked.

All of a sudden the captain fell to his knees. People gathered around him but the sailors urged them to back off and that they could handle it. When they looking back at the suffering captain, their faces changed. I could tell they didn’t know what to do.

Before anybody can do anything else, a man came out running with a bottle of liquid, medicine. He quickly helps the captain and feeds him the medicine. The captain closed his eyes. Everybody watched. He choked and continued coughing with his eyes still closed. People hesitated. Then he opened them. “I feel better, thank you!” The captain said.

Everybody cheered, including me and my family. We soon figure that the man with the medicine was a doctor. People have claimed he had helped their sick ones before including them selves.

It was a miracle! First the captain was choking then he was fine. It was like nothing ever happened!

I am very glad that our captain is okay. Oh, and do not worry, me and my family is okay, too. We are not sick like others just yet. Any ways I hope you get this letter and I hope you are okay, too!

You’re Niece,

Jasmine

P.S. Come visit us when we find this new land.

Dear Alyssa, September 16, 1620

Hi Alyssa, How are you doing? I miss you and my other friends. Today Mikailah and I are passengers on the Mayflowers. You wont believe how many storms we have had. The last one was the worst the waves were so big it took Mikailah overboard. I lost it when she was over board, I fell to my knees and I started to cry. Just than when I thought my whole life was gone. The sailors jumped into action! One sailor got a rope the other sailor got her out of the sea. I am so glad she was back, one time another person got swept over board. Lucky for him there was a rope besides him and he pulled him self-right out.

One day a storm was coming and the sailor send Mikailah, me and all the other passenger down below deck. It was very crowded below deck. Luckily Mikailah and I got a little place in out of the cold damp. Some had to stay in the ship small workboat. Also the food they gave us each day was so nasty! I got sick just smelling that food. Even though this trip is getting hard, I know everything is going to be all right.

Love,

Brianna

****2 months later**** November 21,1620

Dear Alyssa,

Hi again, someone just said, “land ahead!” We didn’t believe it then another person said “land ho” so everyone ran to the land everyone dropped to their knees as a sailor said prayers. After everyone was done Mikaliah and me hugged and cried with terries of joy. We ran to a lake and washed our clothes. We made a settlement and it is beautiful. Maybe one day you can come and visit.

Love,

Brianna

Dear Mom, November 11, 1620

Hi. How are you? Has anything interesting happened since I left? I hope you can come to the new land when and if we find it.

November 7, 1620

Storms have stated coming. Everyday someone says storms are coming. Down below it’s very damp. All we eat is biscuits, cheese, and salted pork. I hope the storms clear up. If the storms don’t die down, life will get a lot harder for the sailors.

November 10, 1620

The storms are horrible. We almost hit a rock. The waves were throwing us left and right. We tried to turn but the waves kept throwing us. It’s was horrible. The sailors could barley see. The captain spun to the left so hard the back almost flew off. The captain saved us.

It was amazing. I could barley breath. The storm died down but it was still raining. We kept sailing on. Then we heard someone say land ho. They set out a canoe and went to find a good spot.

The sailors just came back. We are going to get off the boat. Now we can eat fresh food, my clothes can get washed and I can drink fresh water. I’m excited! It’s amazing!

The End

November 4, 1620

Dear Buwa (Grandpa),

Hi! How is it going in Plymouth, England? It has been O.K. over here on the Mayflower. There have been some tragic events over here, but I have gotten past those scary times. I will tell you what has been happening soon. By the way, how is everybody? I hope they are doing very good and not missing us a lot. I hope you haven’t either.

The Mayflower is a very nice ship. The only downside is that the food is very rotten and old. It tastes disgusting and horrid. The journey is very scary. The sea is very dark. I am terrified and horrified by it. I hope we are almost there, The New Land.

The most terrifying thing has happened! The captain is about to go into the light! (DIE!) We were all so scared! Then the next day god was on our side! A doctor on the ship had medicine that was made from healing berries! (MAGICAL BERRIES!) It was a miracle! I was so happy that I was still alive because the captain would not have been able to steer the ship! YAY!

The captain got sick because of the rotten food. I would rather drink water for the rest of my life! I am serious. It is pretty nasty. I wish we had our basements! This is not cool man!

The happiest thing in my life happened! The sailors were all like, “Land ho!” It was amazing! I was crying for happiness. Tears of Joy were pouring out of my eyes. I just invented something else! I AM SO HAPPY! This has been an alright journey, but I LOVE the ending! I hope you enjoyed hearing about it!

Well, this is your grandson all the way here in, wait. Guess what we named it? Plymouth, New England! Yes we named it after our hometown! I hope you have been enjoying this letter. I miss you so much! I wish you could’ve come on this lonely journey! Only Mom, Dad, Nisha and I are here. It gets lonely very quickly. Well, hope to hear from you soon!

November 10, 1620

Dear,Pa

It’s been really hard since we left with Uncle Robert and Aunt Jean to the New Land. Especially since it has gotten so boring on the ship with nothing to do Marcos and I tend to fight a lot. I mean the other day I got into a fight with Marcos and I gave him a black eye and I really got bruised up.

Another thing that really stinks is that we all stink since we have not taken a shower in over eight weeks. Aunt Jean says it’ll be a long time till we even see fresh water and that really worries me if we run out. The food really gets boring after almost eight weeks of salted pork, beans, cheese, and stale bread, plus mice have gotten all over our rations and that makes it even worse. I hate the storms even more because we are all cramped up down in our living quarters and we don’t even know what is going on out side.

You’ll never believe what just happened…

Marcos and I got into one of our usual fights and it was going pretty well I mean if I were an announcer at the street fights in England. I had hit him in the head and he fell back then I got on top of him and started hitting him when all of a sudden we both fell off of the ship and when I thought all hope of life was lost I was hanging on to a piece of wood sticking out of the ship holding onto my brother’s hand and still the waves were crashing against our backs. I was scared to death. In less than a minute, men held out a rope and we clung onto it with our dear life. Once they pulled us onto the deck I was praying to Lord Jesus with my dear life and I accepted God right then. I was very glad I stayed alive. Well I hope you could ‘a been there but I can’t wait to see you next spring.

Your Clever Son,

Lucas King

November 4, 1620

Dear Grandma,

Hi how is it going in Plymouth, England? We have had some excruciating times on the Mayflower. I will tell you about those times later in my letter. It has been a epic on this ship.

Well first the food really is nasty. We have been living off of dry biscuits with cheese on them most of the pilgrims got sick. The worst of all one of them was my sister she was so close to being with god in the sky. Luckily she was safe because she got great care. That was just one of the worst things but good thing she did not. I can’t believe the food was that bad?

Now the thing that scared me the most was my dad almost died. There was a terrible storm and it was moving the ship back and forth. Then he went over board because of the thrust of the constant motion. I was just glad one sailor got him by a fingertip. Although those storms were brutal storms. I am lucky that I survived.

The Mayflower is a pretty cool ship. Even though our beams fell and made holes in the bottom of the ship. It was a little hard on the ship when there were storm because it was so packed. I told you about that one tragic evens about my dad. That was the only two event that were really scary. So far the Mayflower has not had that much problems.

So far that has been our voyage on the one and only Mayflower. Love you grandma and please write my back!

Love,

Wyatt

Dear grandpa November 11, 1620

I’m on the mayflower and it’s a big adventure. I wish you were here I miss you .Yesterday was the worst I couldn’t fall asleep because 3 people threw up and I was watching this right in front of my face I wish I never said that. My brother couldn’t take it anymore he was puking on deck. My mother needed take care of him. I clung on to my mother’s hand because everyone kept freaking me out when they were puking I felt like I was going to barf. But if I went one deck the sailor would tell me to go back to keep me safe. Yesterday there was a HUGE storm 2 people got hurt 1 survived. I’m so glad you’re safe and no danger is upon the family. A tragic thing hit my father’s arm he is very sick but our family got 28 fish but 12 fell over bored from it going rocking it was a scary moment I thought it was going to make us fall over bored but everyone went to the left and save 18 peoples life but the sailor fell over bored but he grabbed the rope and everyone pulled him back to safety but 100 people were still on the left but we had to be huddled it was a not a comfy moment at the time. We need food we are starving I wish we had bananas 205 people were eating mice it was a horrible view people wanted to puke just from watching it, people were eating wood they would swim and put the seaweed in their mouth it was disgusting and some seaweed had tiny fish it would sometimes pee in someone else’s mouth then I really did puke .we have 3 women pregnant and today one had a baby as the boat was rocking she didn’t have that great of a view and the baby flew out of the mothers hand it hit a person’s head and dropped into a 11 years hand he saved the baby but when he save the baby his arm was bleeding so someone had to give him a scarf to tie around the boys arm.

Just when I couldn’t find my dad a miracle happened a person called land ho so I ran to the tip of the boat a saw it, it was a pretty sight we found coconuts on trees bananas in the forest and when we got there I saw a person hiding something in his shirt so I followed him and found 5 cat girls their babies and there were 19 chickens and a whole family of dogs the little kids would always chase the chickens. I wish you were here you would see how fun it would be. The boys and the men went hunting for fish as the women would make beds.

We are very happy that we found land but know we just need a shelter and food. The shelters are hard to make so I helped my mom so did my big brother he was going to go hunting but he said animals are to live not die. So I went looking for wood well I was I found a abandon cat so I cleaned its blood on and we also let the cat live with us well I was looking for wood still so I went so much in the forest that I was tired and I brought back really THICK wood so I brought it back and we all made a house it was small but we lived all together a happy family. I hope you get this message grandpa tell the family I miss them.

Your granddaughter,

Sarah

Article posted November 10, 2011 at 02:46 AM GMT • comment • Reads 47

Dear Mom,

9/15/1620

I am excited to be on such a big adventure! The King of England was bothering me so much! I just can’t stand him! I don’t’ know what will happen to me on this voyage to the new land. I hope we will get there. I hope our ship does not sink.

Sincerely,

Maricela Peralta

9/23/1620

Dear Mom,

Most things were going well until disaster struck. Rats got on our ship because some passengers were careless and they did not check their small bits of luggage before they boarded the boat. The rats ate our food, chewed our clothes, and chewed small holes in the wood, which later developed into bigger holes. We barely had anything to eat, leaks were spouting all the time, and we had no way to get rid of the rats, except for throwing them into the ocean, which we could not do, since the rats were so hard to catch.

Sincerely,

Maricela Peralta

10/3/1620

Dear Mom,

Everyone is sick including me. I am starving and seasick. We feel like we will never get to the New World. We took some animals on our ship and they might die. Storms come, and all of the passengers have to wait below deck as the sailors race to furl the sails and climb the in the rigging. Oh, I wish we would all get better!

Sincerely,

Maricela Peralta

Dear Mom,

A miracle happened! Some fish swam by our boat earlier in the day. We found some ropes on our ship. Some of the passengers were expert fisherman. They new how to wave fishing nets out of ropes! We learned how to drop the nets into the water to catch fish! We were close to the New Land, so the food served us until we got there.

Sincerely,

Maricela Peralta

Dear Mom,

Our voyage was successful! We made it to the new land! Some men in a small boat found lots of wood and food and declared the new land safe for us to build a settlement. Please come to America someday! It is wonderful!

Sincerely,

Maricela Peralta

Dear Father,

It has been an unsafe journey. When we were on the dock we almost hit a fishing boat.

Most people got seasick, people heard waves splashing, and creaking. There was a whirlpool. The Mayflower hit it. We were spinning out of control. Most of us were praying to God. The Captain was turning the wheel with all of his strength.

Then Mother got ill. Since we were bringing herb tea to the new land. Mother drank it and felt better. Since we were still in the whirlpool, Finally the Captain turned the wheel with all his strength. We were out of the whirlpool, God saved us all.

But the hard steering blew us off course.

We will be there soon, I hope.

Love, Nathan

Dear Amerie,

How are you? How is everyone back home? I really miss you! I can’t believe I am on a adventure to a unknown land! I am just a bit nervous too. I wish you could have come with me. I think we will make it to the unknown land. Wish me luck!

The other night, there was a huge storm! I was so scared. I stood close to my mother in the dark. The sailors had to furl the sails down fast! All the people down below were cold and damp. Later the storm passed, I went up on deck. Then more storms came. I was afraid that we would run out of food, or the ship would sink. The lightning was strong that it shook the ship. People wondered why we were going to the unknown land. My mother said why we were going to the unknown land because so we can be free. And to believe in what we want to believe.

Just then, the captain fell overboard! I thought he was going to fall and die! Just then, one of the men got a roped, and told the captain to grab onto it. Then they pulled him up. And his life was saved.

We did not have that much food, all w ate was bread and cheese. The bread was really hard. The cheese was mushy.

One of the sailors had said that we are close to land, but I did not believe him. But then I stared at the land. The captain said Land Ho! Looks like all those months were worth it.

I really miss you! I hope I can see you again. You should me someday.

From

Christine

Dear Aunt Mary,

How are you, I hope you are doing fine. I really miss you and I really hope this letter gets to you and Uncle Lester. I really wish we can meet up again or you can come and visit or we’ll go and visit you in Plymouth, England. I anticipate that you can write back to me as soon as possible because my mom and dad really want to keep in touch.

Today I boarded the Mayflower. It isn’t that bad but I have a slight cough. Mom tries to cook us some beans but she can’t because the ship rocks back and forth all day and the food spills everywhere! It’s really hard to eat dry biscuits with rotten cheese everyday. The food is really unpleasant to eat. There are mice everywhere. And I have to eat the food that mice and cockroaches have already nibbled and stepped on, it’s really gross but there’s nothing else to eat. My brothers have typhoid fever because of the rats and cockroaches on the food. They have a fever and are light headed.

All day I long to run on land, play with friends, and play the flute my father bought me for my birthday. All I do is sit in a crowded area with 100’s of people. Try to get some fresh air once in a while, and talk to my mother about this journey we’ve taken from Plymouth, England to an unknown land. I get bored and tired of being in the ship, I get sea sick, but I think how wonderful it would be to have our own land and follow our own religions. Also how it would be to play with my brothers and race a round the new land.

Something really terrible happened yesterday. I’ll tell you the dreadful story. It was a wonderful day. No storms, no dark clouds, nothing was going wrong. The sun was shining as bright as can be, and the ship wasn’t damp and cold, as it always was. My mother cooked us some beans and my father was on deck. My father was watching the sparkling vast sea. When one of the sailors pushed my father overboard! My mother, my brother, and I heard one of the sailors yell, “Somebody went overboard!” My mother, brother, and I rushed on deck, looked into the ocean, and it was my father! My whole family kneeled and started praying and crying, for my father. I wished I had spent more time with my father.

Suddenly my father came up miraculously! He had caught on to a loose rope on the ship! He climbed up and we all started hugging him and giving him kisses on the cheek. My father had told us what happened. “I was just looking at the radiant ocean. When suddenly a sailor was rushing for something and he pushed me overboard! The fall was very breathtaking! I swam through the ocean and when I had come up to look for something to grab, I saw a rope. Just when I grabbed the rope a massive wave made me go under the ocean. When I thought the wave was gone, I went up and grabbed the rope once again. I knew I had the rope very firmly gripped I was climbing the rope and then a sailor grabbed my hand and pulled me up! Then I knew God didn’t want me with him yet.” Those are the exact words he said.

Turns out the reason the sailor pushed my father overboard was because the captain was choking on a piece of squid he ate. The squid wasn’t completely dead and it's suction cups were still alive too. So the suction cups grabbed on to the captain's throat when he swallowed it. And the one of the sailors was going to get help for the captain.

The captain turned out good. The good part was that he didn’t completely swallow the squid, so one of the sailors saw one of the squid’s tentacles by his uvula. The sailor grabbed the tentacle and pulled it out of the captain's throat. So the captain thanked the sailor and we continue on our journey!

I really enjoy writing to you, Aunt Mary. I hope we can continue. Tell me how Plymouth, England is. How is the family? Message me as soon as you can! I really miss you!

Sincerely,

Dhalia