ashleys page-

Blogging is a fun, engaging way to write!

by teacher: Mrs. Freitas

The three elements that I picked and they are Neon, Hydrogen, and Helium. Also I’m going to tell you how the three elements were discovered and what the symbol, and when it was discovered.

Neon:

Neon was discovered in 1898 by Sir William Ramsay. Neon is the second lightest inert gas. Neon’s atomic weight is 20.1797 and atomic number 10. The symbol for neon is NE. Neon is also a bright light that is on signs and glow sticks.

Hydrogen:

In 1766, Henry Cavendish was the first to recognize hydrogen gas as a discrete substance and in the 18th century. Hydrogen is the chemical element with atomic number one. Hydrogen is the lightest element. The symbol for hydrogen is H. Hydrogen is gas that goes into your car.

Helium:

Helium is the chemical element with atomic number two and an atomic weight of 4.002602. On Earth it is relatively rare 0.00052% by volume in the atmosphere. The symbol for helium is HE. If you inhale helium your voice will change funny.

I picked Neon, Hydrogen, and Helium because I think they were easy to do. Also they looked interesting to me. Thanks for reading and I hoped you liked it!

My Element Report!

By: Samantha M.

Hello I am going to be talking about helium so lets get started!

Facts:

• Helium is Colorless

•The symbol is He

•The atomic number is 2

•The Greek name for helium is hēlios (sun)

•It weights 4.002602

•The boiling point is -268*C

•The atomic weight is 4.0026

•Helium was found on the sun before it was discovered on earth

Did you know that if you suck up helium you voice changes and sometimes you can die from it?

Helium can be used for…….

•Balloons

•Air Tanks

•Deep sea diving

•Rocket Fuel

•Magnets

And more!!!

Today, I am going to talk about my three elements I picked. My first element I picked was Neon. The symbol is Ne. Do you know what the atomic number to Neon is? It is number 10. Sir William Ramsay and Morris William Travers created/ found Neon in 1898. Neon can be found in tiny groups in the atmosphere. Also it can be found in the rocks in Earth’s crust. Neon gas is used for advertising signs.

My next element is Potassium. The symbol for Potassium is K. The atomic number is 19. Sir Humphrey Davy found this element in 1807. You can find Potassium in minerals. The Potassium iron is very important to the muscle tissue. “K” is used for making glass and soap.

My last element is Yttrium. The symbol is Y. The atomic number is 39. Did you know that Johan Gadolin found Yttrium in 1794? You can also find “Y” in minerals just like Potassium! It is used for red phosphors in the TV also, it is in radars.

Thank you!!

Element Report

Helium:

Symbol: He

Atomic Number: 2

Atomic Mass: 4.002602 amu

Melting point: -272.0 degrees C

Boiling point: -268.6 degrees C

Number of Neutrons: 2

Number of Protons or electrons: 2

Classification: Noble Gas

Color: Colorless

Crystal Structure: Hexagonal

Fun Facts about Helium

The reason I picked Helium was because I was always interested in the fact that helium makes your voice sound funny! Helium was discovered first on the sun before it was found on the earth. Pierre Janssen a French astronomer realized a yellow line in the suns spectrum while studying a total solar eclipse in 1868. Sir Norman Lockyer saw that this line could not be produced by any element known at the time. A new element on the sun was responsible for this weird yellow emission! Lockyer named this element Helium! Later on Sir William Ramsay discovered it on earth!

Helium has plenty of uses its uses are balloons, and deep sea diving! Helium is obtained from natural gas deposit and air as I explained earlier! Helium has the energy level of 1. Helium’s first energy level is 2. Helium is also the second most abundant element in the entire universe! Helium has the group number 18. This is all I have to say about helium!

I hope you learned a lot about this amazing element! Thank you. I hope you enjoyed!

Magnesium:

Symbol: Mg

Atomic Number: 12

Atomic mass: 24.305 amu

Melting Point: 650.0 degrees C

Boiling Point: 1107.0 degrees C

Color: grayish

Classification: Alkaline Earth

Number of neutrons: 12

Number of protons/ Electrons: 12

Crystal Structure: Hexagonal

Fun Facts The reason I picked magnesium is magnesium is because I haven’t heard anything about it and it sounded interesting! So I decided to use it for my element report! Let’s learn a few fun facts about Magnesium!

Magnesium was discovered 1808 by Sir Humphrey Davy. Sir Humphrey Davis is well known for his discoveries. Magnesium’s number of energy levels is 3. Its first energy level is 8. What’s cool is that it also has a third energy level that is 2. Its usual uses are for airplanes and missiles. It is obtained by sea water. Those are all the fun facts about Magnesium.

Thank you so much! I hoped you enjoyed! I also hope you learned a lot!

Oxygen

Name: Oxygen

Symbol: O

Atomic Number: 8

Atomic Mass: 15.9994 amu

Melting Point: -218.4 °C -361.12 °F

Boiling Point: -183.0 °C -297.4 °F

Number of Neutrons: 8

Number of Energy Levels: 2

First Energy Level: 2

Second Energy Level: 6

Fun Facts

The reason I picked oxygen was because it is one of the most important elements! Without it we would be able to live! Let’s learn some things about oxygen!

As we all know we practically all discovered oxygen, but one of the first people who actually went and looked at it more was Joseph Priestly. Joseph started looking and getting more into the concept in which we call; “air” that happened around 1774. Wow that was a long time ago. Of course the usual use of oxygen is that it supports life. We usually obtain oxygen from liquid air in which helps us breathe.

I hoped you learned a lot about this wonderful element that helps us live! Thank you hope you enjoy!

The websites I used were: www.chemicalelements.com and www.education.jlab.org and www.google.com

Element Report

By: Jorge

This is my element report. I hope you will enjoy reading it. It has lots of information you will enjoy. So keep on reading and learn all about these three elements krypton, arsenic, and radium.

Krypton

Krypton’s sign is Kr and its atomic number is 36. The boiling point is -153.22 oc and the melting point is -157.36 oc. The people who discovered krypton were Sir William Ramsey and Morris William Travers. Sir William Ramsey also found cadmium, neon, and argon. The year it was discovered was 1898 and it as discovered in London, England. Krypton is a gas that does not do damage if you inhale it. Unless you inhale it with no air if you do you can suffocate. The name krypton comes from the Greek word kryptos which means hidden.

Arsenic

Arsenics sign is AS its atomic number is 33. The boiling point is 614 oc the melting point is 817 oc. the person who discovered it was Albertus Magnus in the year 1250. The place is unknown arsenic is used in pesticide and wood preservatives. It is in metal for mirrors, in shotgun pellets, and lasers. If you inhale it you can get lung cancer and if you touch with bare skin you can get skin cancer. It is from the Greek word arsenikon which means yellow orpiment. It is a steel gray semimetal it can also damage liver and intestines.

Radium

Radium was discovered by Marie Sklodowska Curie and Perre Curie. It was discovered in Paris, France the atomic number is 88 and its sign is Ra. The boiling point is 3158.6 ofarenheit and the melting point is 1292 ofarenheit. Radium is from the Latin word radius which means ray. It is a radioactive metal that has a silvery white color. It is very radiotoxic if you breathe it, eat it, touch it, or have any exposure of it. It is used to treat cancer because it gives off gamma rays. It is found in uranium ores at 1 part per 3 million parts uranium. It was used to make glowing paint but it is not that common.

Bibliography

http://chemicalelements.com/

http://www.periodni.com/index.html

http://periodictableofelements.com/

Article posted May 19, 2012 at 04:04 AM GMT • comment • Reads 49

Carbon notes

Carbon can exist with several different 3 dimensional structures in which its atoms are arranged differently).

Carbon can also exist in an amorphous state. Many allotropes commonly described as amorphous, however, such as glassy carbon, soot, or carbon black usually have enough structure to not be truly amorphous.

Sulfur notes

Sulfur is a pale yellow, odorless and brittle material. It displays three allotropic forms: orthorhombic, monoclinic and amorphous. The orthorhombic form is the most stable form of sulfur. Monoclinic sulfur exists between the temperatures of 96°C and 119°C and reverts back to the orthorhombic form when cooled. Amorphous sulfur is formed when molten sulfur is quickly cooled. Amorphous sulfur is soft and elastic and eventually reverts back to the orthorhombic form.

Zinc notes

Although zinc compounds have been used for at least 2,500 years in the production of brass, zinc wasn't recognized as a distinct element until much later. Metallic zinc was first produced in India sometime in the 1400s by heating the mineral calamine with wool. Zinc was rediscovered by Andreas Sigismund Marggraf in 1746 by heating calamine with charcoal. Today, most zinc is produced through the electrolysis of aqueous zinc sulfate

Article posted May 17, 2012 at 05:44 AM GMT • comment • Reads 138

As you can see I am going to write a report on three elements! They are all very interesting in my opinion. I hope you like my report!

The first element I am going to be talking about is rubidium! Its symbol is Rb. It was discovered by Robert Wilhelm Bunsen and Gustav Robert Kirchhoff. It was discovered 1861 Rubidium is highly reactive in water. It is a type of metal. That is a little bit of info for now!

Rubidium is used in several things! The first thing is that it is in photo cells! I did not know that before, that is really cool! It is also used as a catalyst. It is also used in special glasses and since it is easily ionized, it might be used as a propellant in ion engines on spacecraft. Rubidium is used in vacuum tubes as a getter, a material that combines with and removes trace gases from vacuum tubes. That is what it’s in! 

There are still a few more facts left! On of them is that the atomic number, it is 37! The melting point is 38.89 degrees c, and the boiling point is 688.0 degrees c. its crystal structure is cubed, it sounds awesome! Did you know it’s obtained from lithium production? Well, you know now! It’s in the alkali metal group! Well, that was all about Rubidium!

Ok, the next element is Titanium! It was discovered by William Gregor in 1791. Its symbol is Ti. It is unreactive in most acids! I hope you learn a lot from the rest!

At first I did not know what titanium was, but now that I have seen what it is in and it’s interesting! One of the things it’s in is paint (did not know that!)! It’s also used in rubber and paper. That’s what titanium is in!

These are some important facts about titanium! The atomic numero is 22. Its melting point is 1668 degrees c and the boiling point is 3287 degrees c! Titanium is as strong as steel! Thank you!

As you probably know this next element is magnesium! It was discovered by Sir Humphry Davy in 1808! The symbol is Mg. I hope you enjoy!

Magnesium is very light wait. It is malleable. It is a silvery white metal that burns in air with a white flame. It responds to water when the temperature elevates. That was some info, hope you learned!

Magnesium is used for airplanes and missiles! That is sort of cool! Its atomic number is 12. Its melting point is 650 degrees c and the boiling point is 1090 degrees c. thanks again!

I hope you learned a lot from my report and enjoyed!!! Thnx 

Hi my name is Danitza and I’m going to tell you a report that I used in my own words. There are three Elements that I had to research and take notes about these three Elements. The three Elements are called Helium, Sodium, and Oxygen. I had to takes notes about these three things. It was easy but we couldn’t write the whole paragraph that’s what’s bad. So I took notes of those three Elements. I had to write it on a Microsoft in my own words and that’s what I’m doing right now. Let me tell you more about the Elements.

Information about Helium

The first Element is Helium. Did you know who the first person to find out what Helium was? I’m going to tell you. The first person to find out about Helium was Pierre Jules César Janssen and Sir Joseph Norman Incyer in 1868. Deposits came from wells in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. I didn’t know it was only in 3 states. I really didn’t know Helium was in a state I was born from and that’s Texas. I wonder what part of Texas? Was it in Dallas Texas or Austin Texas? I was born in Austin Texas in 2001. I thought Helium was in Arizona or everywhere. But I was wrong Helium is in Texas, Olympia, and Kansas. Helium is mostly about this stuff that was found by: Pierre Jules César Janssen in 1868 in Olympia, Texas, and Kansas mostly in wells. I think that’s crazy finding Helium in wells. What did they send a guy down there to see what’s there? That’s all I know about Helium.

Information about Sodium

Do you know what Sodium is? Well I’m going to tell you. Sodium was found out about this guy named Sir Humphry Dary (GB) in 1807. The atomic number for Sodium is 11. The number of Sodium of ions is in 2.05 mol Sodium carbonate. Did you know that no salt was included in Sodium? I think if there was salt included in sodium it would be poisonous and no one would be able to use Sodium. I’m pretty sure Sir Humphry Dary was a scientist. Some scientist find out about cool things like Helium. But not every scientist could find out about Sodium or other chemicals. The symbol for Sodium is NA. I’m pretty sure Sodium has a different meaning.

Information about Oxygen

Do you know what Oxygen is? Well I’m going to tell you. Oxygen was discovered by Carl William Scheele in 1772. Oxygen is obtained primarily from liquid, air by fractional distillation. It’s a colorless, tasteless, odorless, and gaseous element that constitutes 21 percent of the atmosphere. The atomic number for Oxygen is 8. The group number is 16. The electronic configuration is [HE] 2s2 2p4. Formal Oxidation number is -2. Electro negativities are 3.44. Atomic radius / pm are 60.4. Relative atomic mass is 15.9994 – 0.0003. The most common uses of Oxygen are in Oxidizer. Some Oxidizer has Rocket propulsion, Medicine Welding, Sensors, Mask and Concentrators. The most important thing about Oxygen is life. If we didn’t have Oxygen we wouldn’t be alive write now. Oxygen matters to everybody. They don’t want to be dead write now they want to live their dreams. Like me I want to live so that I could pass Middle School and pass High School. The best part is I want to go to College and be a famous singer.

I hope you like all of my information about my 3 Elements. I hope you learned some information about Helium, Sodium, and Oxygen. These have so much information you could even look on line for more information. You could even type up information about Helium, Sodium, and Oxygen. If you want to learn more about elements you could type in a page about Elements.

Article posted May 17, 2012 at 03:35 AM GMT • comment • Reads 40

Element Report

By: Zachary H.

Hello, today I will be telling you about 3 elements. The elements I will be telling you about are Platinum, Bromine and Xenon. If you want to see where I got the information I will show you at the end of the report.

Platinum

The first I am going to show you is Platinum. The atomic number of platinum is 78. The atomic weight is 195.078 AMU. It is in group number 10. The melting point is 3221.6o F and the boiling point is 6920.6o f. The number of proton/electrons 78 and the number of neutrons is 117. Platinum was discovered by Julius Caesar Scaliner in 1557. The name came from the Spanish word platina which means silver. Platinum is a very rare, very heavy and soft metal that is silvery white. It can resist oxygen, water, corrosion and acid attacks. It is used in jewelry, to produce strong magnets and to make standard weights. That is some information about Platinum.

Bromine

The second element I am going to show you is Bromine. The atomic number is 35. The group number is 17. The atomic weight is 79.904 AMU. The melting point is 19.04o f and the boiling point is 137.804o f. The number of protons/electrons is 35 and the number of neutrons is 45. Bromine was discovered in 1826 by Antoine-Jerome Balard. The name came from the Greek word bromos meaning stench. It’s a reddish brown liquid with irritating fumes that give off poisonous vapor. It can cause severe burns. It occurs in compounds in sea water. It is used in dyes, disinfectants and photographic chemicals. That is some information about Bromine.

Xenon

This is the last element that I am going to show you. The atomic number is 54. The group number is 18. The atomic weight is 131.29 AMU. The boiling point is -162.58o f and the melting point is -169.42o f. The number of protons/electrons it has is 54 and the number of neutrons is 77. Xenon was discovered by Sir William Ramsay and Marils William Travers in 1898. The name Xenon comes from the Greek word Xenos meaning stranger. It is a heavy, colorless and odorless noble gas that reacts with fluorine. It is obtained in small quantities in liquid air. An electrical excitation of Xenon produces a burst of brilliant white light. It’s used for filling flash lights and other powerful lamps, used in bubble chambers and modern nuclear power reactors. That is my final element that I will show you.

Bibliography

I will show you the websites that I used to get this wonderful information.

1. Chemicalelements.com

2. Periodni.com

3. Chemlab.pcMaricopa.edu

Those are the websites that I used.

Well, I showed you all three elements that I picked. I hope you learned a lot about Platinum, Bromine and Xenon. Thanks for reading!

Do you know about oxygen, uranium, and barium well if you don’t then I am going to tell you. All of these elements are from the periodic table. There are a lot of elements in the periodic table but I am only going to tell you three. I hope you learn a lot!

The first element I will be telling you about is oxygen. Oxygen is not a solid or liquid it is a gas. It was discovered by Carl Sheele. It is an element in the earth’s crust it makes up 21% of the atmosphere. It does not have any color it is colorless. Oxygen is all around us it is what we breathe. Trees make oxygen for us without trees we would not be alive. Oxygen’s melting point is -218.7916, and its boiling point is -182.95.

The next element I will be telling you about is uranium. Uranium was discovered by Martin Klaporth in 1789. It was named after Uranus the 7th planet from the sun. Uranium does have a color it is silvery-white. It reacts with steam and acids. For a long time it was used as pigment for glass. Uranium’s atomic weight is 238.02891. Its boiling point is 1897oc.

The last element that I will be telling you about is Barium. Barium was discovered by Sir Humphry Davy in 1808. It is a soft slivery white metal, and it reacts with water. Barium will never be found pure due to its reactivity. Barium needs to be under kerosene to stay pure. Barium is used for filters, rubber, plastics resins. Barium burns awesome green and is used in fireworks.

Bibliography- http://www.periodni.com/

OXYGEN

I chose oxygen because it’s what we breathe and I thought it was interesting.

Oxygen was discovered by Joseph Priestly in 1774. The atomic number: 8, the atomic mass: 15.9994 AMU. The melting point is: -218.4˚C (54.750008 k, -361. 12 ˚F) The Boiling point is: -183.0 ˚C (90.15 k,-297.4˚F) Oxygen does not have a Freezing point.

Joseph Priestly was born: March 13, 1733 in a country near England. He died February 6, 1804. Joseph was in the fields of science.

HELIUM

I chose helium because its one of the dangerous elements.

Helium was discovered by Sir William Ramsay in 1895. The atomic number is 2, the atomic mass: 4.002602 AMU. The melting point is: - 272.0 ˚C (1.15 k, -457.6˚F). The Boiling point is: -268.93. Helium does not have a freezing point because it is a gas.

Helium was discovered by Sir William Ramsay. Sir William Ramsay was born October 2, 1852. He died July 23, 1916.

He will be remembered forever

SODIUM

I chose sodium because I thought it was interesting.

Sir Humphrey Davey discovered sodium. The atomic number of sodium is 11. The symbol of sodium is NA. The melting point of sodium is 97.81. The boiling point is 882.9˚C. Sodium is used in glass. It is created in nature.

Article posted May 17, 2012 at 04:26 AM GMT • comment • Reads 229

Platinum

Julius Caesar Scaliger discovered Platinum. He discovered it in 1557. The atomic number of platinum is 78. Platinum comes from the Spanish word Platina meaning silver. Platinum is used in jewelry. Platinum is used with cobalt to make strong magnets, weights and measures. Platinum is rare, very heavy, and soft. It resists oxygen, water, corrosion and acid attacks. Platinum's melting point is 1772°C. Its atomic weight is 195.084 amu. Its boiling point is 3827°C. Platinum is malleable. That means it can be pressed into another shape.

Radium

Marie Sklodowska Curie and Perre Curie discovered Radium. They discovered it in 1898. The symbol for radium is Ra. Radium comes from the Latin word radius which means ray. Radium is used in treating cancer because it gives off gamma rays. Radium reacts with oxygen and water. Its atomic number is 88. Radium is radioactive. The melting point of radium is 699.8° C. Radium's boiling point is 1737°c. Radium is white.

Manganese

Johan Gottlieb Gahn discovered manganese. Manganese in 1774. The symbol of manganese is Mn. Manganese comes from the Latin word magnes which means magnet. Railroad tracks have 1.2% manganese.The atomic number of manganese is 25. The melting point of manganese is 1245°C and its boiling point is 1962°C.

Titanium

Titanium is one of the millions of elements they are. The atomic number from Titanium is 22, the symbol is Ti. Titanium was discovered by William Gregor in the year 1791, but it was until 1910 that Titanium was able to be separated from the compound materials. Titanium is in lots of stuff like paint, rubber, paper, and many others. The color of Titanium is dark gray metal. The electronic configuration is [Ar] 3d2 4s2.

Francium

Francium is an element in millions of elements there is out there in the world. The atomic number for Francium is 87. The symbol is Fr. Francium was discovered by Marguerite Perey on 1939 in France also it was named after France. The electonic configuration for Francium is [Rn] 7s1.

Where can you find Francium? Scientists estimate that there is no more than one ounce of francium in the earth's crust at each time. Since there is so little naturally occurring on earth, scientists must make francium so they will be able to study it.

Yttrium

My last element is Yttrium. The symbol for Yttrium is Y. The atomic number for Yttrium is 39. Johan Galodolin discovered it 1794. Yttrium was named after Ytterby, a village in Sweden. The electronic configuration for Yttrium is [Kr] 4d1 5s2. You can found Yttrium in minerals like monazite, xenotime and more. It’s combined whit europium to make the color red in TV’s.

Where can you find Yttrium? Yttrium is found in oxide in rare earth minerals such as monazite and bastnasite. In the Solar System Yttrium was created by stellar nucleosynthesis.

By: Caelin N.

Have you ever heard of nitrogen, and magnesium? If you haven’t, you will probably know everything that there is to know. I’m also going to talk about silver, I didn’t mention that earlier because you probably already know what it is. After this, you might learn some new things about silver that you didn’t know.

Silver

Where do you think silver comes from? No one knows, but it is found in mountains by mining. People have been doing that since ancient times. First they would get dynamite and then blow the mountain up. Industries reuse silver from salvaged cars and other junk. People find silver in rocks and take it to a certain place where they boil it until the silver separates from the rocks.

Now here are some facts. The atomic number is 47 and the sign is AG. It is used to make ornaments, explosives, jewelry, utensils, coin, and many other things. It’s also found all over the world and in elements. It’s found in Copper, zinc, gold, and lead. It takes 4,013of to boil it and 1,763of to melt it. In Europe once Silver was more valuable than gold. AG comes from the Latin word Argentum. It is one of the softest metals, it needs copper, platinum, nickel just to make it hard. Silver was a great for medicine before they made antibiotic because it would kill bacteria. It also helps for burning and healing. Did you know what happens when you mix fire, oxygen, propane? It will create a greenish-bluish fume cloud. Silver is the best conductor of heat out of all the elements. It is the best reflectivity of all the elements besides gold. It’s also used to purify water. It is the second prized element in space. Some people could be allergic to silver. On the year of 2007 the world found more than 1,740,000 metric tons of silver.

Magnesium

Now I’m going to be talking about magnesium. The atomic number is 12 and the sign MG. It takes 1,202of to melt it and 2,024of to boil it. It was discovered by Sir Humphrey Davy. It’s mostly found in the ocean and some you can find on land. It is used for airplanes, missiles, devices, and fireworks. The name comes from Greek words magnesia. While magnesium is in water, it reacts to different temperatures. People put magnesium in metal to make it lighter and easier to weld.

Nitrogen

Finally, the last element I will be talking about is Nitrogen. Nitrogen is a chemical element that has the symbol N and the atomic number 7. It is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. It was discovered in 1772 by a Scottish Physician Daniel Rutherford.

Nitrogen is a common element in the Universe. It is a relatively rare element on Earth as a whole. Nitrogen and its compounds occur in gases in the atmospheres of planet and moons that have atmospheres.

Nitrogen occurs in all living organisms. The human body contains about 3% weight of nitrogen and is the fourth most abundant element after oxygen, carbon and hydrogen. It’s an industrial non- metal gas and is used for steelmaking and other purposes. The density of liquid nitrogen at its boiling point is 0.808 g/ml. Liquid nitrogen is fluid resembling water in appearance. In general, nitrogen is unreactive at standard temperature and pressure.

URLs

Google, Mrs. Freita’s website, Periodic table.com

Article posted May 18, 2012 at 02:01 AM GMT • comment • Reads 35

Element Report

By: Lisa

Do you want to learn about Hydrogen, Helium, and Lithium? Well, I am going to teach you about it. I hope you enjoyed reading this.

Who discovered hydrogen? Hydrogen was discovered by Robert Boyle in 1671. Hydrogen can be found in balloons. Hydrogen can be used for gas to drive a car. Do you know what is the melting and boiling point? The melting point is -434.45°F. The boiling point is -423.17°F. What is the symbol? The symbol is H. Do you know what the atomic number is? The atomic number is 1. Hydrogen atom is the simplest element among all other elements because it has only 1 electron, so scientists can understand it very well.

Do you know who discovered Helium? Helium was discovered by Pierre Janssen in 1868. Where can it be found? Helium can be found in balloons. What it is used for? It can be used for filling an airship. What is the melting and boiling point? The melting point is -457.96°F. The boiling point is -452.07°F. What is the symbol? The symbol is He. What is the atomic number? The atomic number is 2. Helium is also simple because it has 2 electrons. The difference between 1 electron and 2 electrons is scientist can understand how 2 electrons interact to each other.

Do you want to learn about Lithium? Well, I am going to teach you about it. Who discovered it? Lithium was discovered by Jons Jacob Berzelius in 1817. Where can it be found? It 1can be found in batteries. What it is used for? It can be used to make a battery. What is the melting and boiling point? The melting point is 356.97°F. The boiling point is 2448°F. What is the symbol? The symbol is Li. What is the atomic number? The atomic number is 3. Lithium is the simplest metal because it is the only metal with 3 electrons.

Do you want to learn more interesting facts? Well, I am going to teach you about the interesting facts. Did you know that Lithium can interact with hydrogen to become the simplest molecule with metal and it is good for scientist to study because this molecule has only 4 electrons? These 3 elements are important because after a few nano seconds of Big Bang, these 3 elements were first generated, so understand where the universe come from. I hope you learned anything about these 3 elements.

Hi, the three elements I’m studying are Mercury, lead, and argon.

Mercury

By Jasmine M.

Atomic number: 80

Melting point: -38.83

Boiling Point: 356.73

Symbol: Hg

Mercury is a very poisonous. Do not get it on your body because mercury can get into your skin even if you don't have a cut or injury. Remember, mercury is poisonous so don't get near it.

Mercury's name

This element was named after the planet Mercury. Along time ago the Egyptians called it hydro-argyros which meant liquid silver or water silver. The Romans modified the name to Hydrargyrun. Hydrargyrun means liquid silver. Mercury can also be called quicksilver.

What mercury is in?

Mercury is in many things. It could be in thermometers (that’s how thermometers get its red color). Mercury is even in household switches. It's also in florescent lamps, and batteries. It use to be in toys, microwaves, and latex paint but they don't do that anymore.

More Facts

Mercury is part of Zinc group and is mainly found in Cinnabar and Spain. It rarely occurs free in nature (that means that it rarely occurs alone in nature, not combined with something else).

The discovery of Mercury

The discoverer of mercury is unknown. We do know that it was found in Egyptian tombs long ago in the 1500 BC.

Lead

By Jasmine M.

Atomic Number: 82

Melting point: 327.46

Boiling Point: 1749

Color: Blueish

Symbol: Pb

-Like mercury, lead is also poisonous.

Lead's name

The name lead comes from the Latin word plumbum. Plumbum, like hydrargyrun, means liquid silver.

What lead is in

Lead is mostly found in Lead sulfide. It is also in batteries, paint, soil, dust, and in drinking water. Yep, Lead is in drinking water. Lead is also in Link tanks.

Lead for water pipes

Lead has been known for a long time. The ancient Romans used lead to make water pipes. Some of the water pipes are made out of lead today.

More facts

Period number: 6

Group number: 14

What is Lead use for?

Lead may be poisonous but it can be used for many things. Again, lead can be used for water pipes. It can also be used for X-ray shields and Gamma-Ray radiation. Some of the alloys in lead are also used for things.

The discovery of Lead

The person who discovered lead is unknown. We do know that it was discovered about 7000 years ago.

Argon

By Jasmine M.

Atomic Number: 18

boiling point: -185.89

Melting point: -189.34

Colorless

Odorless

Tasteless

Contains 121 neurons

Symbol: Ar

Number of Neutrons: 22

Argon is part of the Noble gas group (argon is a type of gas) and the Carbon group.

Argon's name

The name Argon is from the Greek word Argos. Argos means inactive.

The discovery of Argon

Argon was discovered by Sir William Ramsay and Lord Raleigh. Sir William also discovered Krypton. It was found in Scotland in 1894.

Argon in Lamps

Argon is mixed with Krypos in fluorescent and incandescent lamps. The reason why is because it prevents oxygen from the hot filament.

Argon in the Earth

The Earth's atmosphere is 0.93% made out of argon. The Earth crust contains 1.2 of argon in it. In the water, there is 0.6 of Argon.

Mercury

Mercury

Mercury is not in the Earth's atmosphere. It is in the Earth's crust and water. There is 0.08 of mercury in the Earth's crust and there is 0.00003 of mercury in the Earth's ocean.

http://www.periodni.com/

http://www.periodni.com/ar.html

http://www.periodni.com/hg.html

http://www.periodni.com/kr.html

http://www.periodni.com/pb.html

http://glossary.periodni.com/glossary.php?en=argon

http://glossary.periodni.com/glossary.php?en=mercury

http://www.chemicalelements.com/elements/hg.html

http://www.test4mercury.com/Find_mercury.htm

http://injury.findlaw.com/product-liability/where-lead-can-be-found.html

http://www.chemicool.com/elements/argon.html

http://www.writework.com/essay/description-argon-argon

http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele080.html

http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele082.html

http://www.webelements.com/lead/

http://www.webelements.com/mercury/

I’m going to start off with my first element and that’s Helium. I choose Helium because I think Helium is interesting. Helium’s symbol is HE and the atomic number is 2 the melting point is 4.002602 the boiling point is -268.6°C. Helium is colorless. Sir William Ramsey discovered Helium in 1895. Helium was formed though the radioactive decay Uranium and Thorium. Helium is also used in cryogenics

Now im going to tell you about my second element and that’s Nitrogen. I choose Nitrogen because it IS made out of ice cream and I love ice cream. Nitrogen’s symbol is N the atomic number is 7 the melting point is -209.9°C the boiling point is -195.8°C. Nitrogen is colorless Daniel Rutherford in 1772.

My Third element is Neon. I choose Neon because I heard that we used it for the open signs in barber shops and that if u turned it on it would stay on for years until it burns out. Neon’s symbol is NE the atomic number is 10 the melting point is-284.6°C the boiling point is-246.1°C Neon is colorless. Sir William Ramsay discovered Neon in 1898

I hope you learned from this and you think of doing it to!

Helium

Symbol: HE

Atomic number: 2

Melting point: 4.002602

Boiling point: -268.6°C

Number of neutrons: 2

Classification: Noble gas

Color: colorless

Who discovered helium?: Sir William Ramsay

When it was discovered?: 1895

Where it can be found?:

What is it used for?: Helium was formed though the radioactive decay of the heavy isotopes Uranium- 238 , Uranium- 235 and Thorium -232. Uranium-238 is the most common isotope. Helium is also used in cryogenics

Nitrogen

Symbol: N

Atomic number: 7

Melting point:-209.9°C

Boiling point:-195.8°C

Number of neutrons: 7

Classification: non metal

Color: colorless

Who discovered nitrogen?: Daniel Rutherford

When it was discovered?: 1772

Where it can be found?: Nitrogen can be found in ice cream

NEON

Symbol: NE

Atomic number: 10

Melting point:-248.6°C

Boiling point: -246.1°C

Number of neutrons: 10

Classification: NOBLE GAS

Color: colorless

Who discovered Neon?: Sir William Ramsay

When it was discovered?: 1898

By: Brianna Oxygen

Oxygen is an element that is used in your body you need oxygen to breathe. You get oxygen from trees! The atomic number for oxygen is 8. Oxygen was discovered by Joseph Priestly in 1774.The Crystal Structure is Cubic. The color is colorless it has more than one color. The obtained is from liquid and air. The number of the energy level is 2. Oxygen is life!! Oxygen was found mostly everywhere in earth.

Helium

Helium was discovered by Sir William Ramsay in the year 1895. It’s used in balloons and deep sea diving there is way more things that use Helium. It makes your voice really squeaky some times they say that it’s bad for you! The Atomic Mass for Oxygen is 15.9994 amu. The

Melting Point for oxygen is: -218.4 °C (54.750008 K, -361.12 °F). Oxygen’s Boiling Point is : -183.0 °C (90.15 K, -297.4 °F) . The oxygen’s Number of Protons/Electrons:8 and the Number of Neutrons: 8 The Classification for Oxygen is: Non-metal

Silver

The color for Silver is Silver, the symbol for silver is Ag. The classification for Silver is Transition Metal; the atomic number for Silver is 47. Crystal Structure for Silver Is Cubic. The date that Silver was discovered is unknown and who discovered it unknown. The First energy level is 2.the second level is 8.Third energy level is 18, the fourth energy level the same 18.Lastly the fifth energy level is one.

Element Reports

By Nitesh P.

Gold Report

Have you ever heard of the elements on the periodic table? Have you ever heard of a specific element, gold? If you haven’t I recommend you to read this report. It contains numerous factual information on gold. I hope you learn from this report about gold.

Let us discuss the basic facts about gold. The atomic number of gold is 79. The atomic symbol of gold is Au. If you were wondering, Au stands for Aurum which is the Latin word for gold. I would like to mention, gold comes from the Old English word geolo, which means yellow. The location of gold is in ores that includes gold ores and ores of other elements and minerals

Let us focus on some more information. The freezing point of gold is 1945.4 degrees farenheit. That means that gold will freeze at 1945.4 degrees farenheit. The melting point of gold is 1947.52 degrees farenheit. The boiling point of gold is 5173 degrees farenheit. The uses for gold are electronics, jewelry, and coins. The discovery date of gold is circa 3000 B.C. but the discoverer of gold is unknown.

Now let us get into some interesting facts. Gold has been recycled since discovered. Pure gold jewelry has other materials mixed in with it. Pure gold is not toxic so people put it in some alcoholic drinks. Gold can cause skin allergies. The allergies affect more women than men. In 1968, gold was made Alaska’s state mineral. India buys the most gold in the world.

Let us get in depth about some more facts about gold. There is gold in the ocean. Gold never rusts. Gold conducts electricity and heat. The largest gold nugget weighed 195 pounds. Less than 50% of all of the world’s gold, even the ones above ground, is still in the ground. There are lots of different colors of gold that have different minerals in them.

Ruthenium Report

Have you heard of the elements on the periodic table? Have you heard of a specific element, ruthenium? Well, if you haven’t I really recommend you read this report. It contains many factual information on ruthenium. I hope you learn from this report.

Let us discuss the basic information about ruthenium. The atomic number of ruthenium is 44. The atomic symbol of ruthenium is RU. RU stands for ruthenium. The name ruthenium came from the Latin word Ruthenia, which means Russia. That is a reference to where ruthenium was discovered. Ruthenium was discovered in 1844. The discoverer of ruthenium was Karl Klaus.

Now let us focus on some more information on ruthenium. The melting point is 4082oF. The boiling point is 7052oF. The freezing point is 4190oF. The uses for ruthenium are alloys, coloring ceramics, anti-cancer medicine, and solar energy technology. Ruthenium is in ores of other minerals.

Now let us get into some interesting facts about ruthenium. It is in the iron group. Ruthenium has been extracted from used nuclear fuel. 1 kilogram of ruthenium costs $1286. Ruthenium is a transition metal. It is very hard to find alone. When extracting ruthenium from other ores there are precious metals such as palladium, rhodium, and platinum as by products.

Silver Report

Have you heard about the element silver? Silver as others is a valuable element as well. It contains a plethora of factual information on silver.

First, let’s discuss the basic information about silver. Silver's atomic number is 47. Another thing is that silver’s atomic symbol is AG. AG stands for the Latin word argentum. Silver’s name itself came from the Old English word seolfor, which means silver. Silver can be found in the ores of many things, those things being argentine, light ruby silver, dark ruby silver, zinc, lead, copper, and brittle silver.

Now let’s get into some more facts. The freezing point of silver is very high actually, being 961oF or less. This is because metals are frozen when they are solid. The melting point is 1763.474oF. The boiling point is 401.6oF. The uses for silver are jewelry, silverware, utensils, coins, and ornaments. The discovery of silver is unknown. The discoverer of silver is unknown as well.

Now let’s learn about some interesting facts about silver. Silver was used to heal people before antibiotics were invented. This is because silver has healing properties. Also, the expression, “Born with a silver spoon in their mouth,” doesn’t mean that you are rich, but instead means that babies fed with silver utensils are healthier. Silver is the metal of the moon.

Silver is very interesting. Here are some more interesting facts. Silver zinc and silver alloys are used for batteries. Silver alloys are used for dental fillings. Silver mirrors can reflect the most light. One ounce of silver can be stretched out into 8000 feet of thin wire. More than 2/3 of silver is a product of lead, copper, and zinc mining. Silver has been used for coins since 700 B.C. Silver is one of the softest metals.

In my opinion, all the elements are equally important. They all have different values and uses. I hope you learned from this report.

Bibliography

The websites I used are:

facts-about.org.uk/

gold.yabz/

periodni.com

chemicalelements.org

blog.myjewelrydeals.com

hobart.k12.in.us

wiki.answers.com

Thank You!

Hello, today you are going to be learning about the famous philosopher and scientist Aristotle. Did you know that Aristotle was born in 384 BC in the town of Stageira, Chalcidice and died in 322 BC? Well, he did. I hope you learn even more than this in my report. Thank you.

Now, you are going to be reading about whom he taught and who taught him. Aristotle was first taught and educated in the study of aristocracy. By the age of 18 he furthered his education in Athens at Plato’s Academy. After studying he did some brief studies in Asia and then became the head instructor at the Royal Academy of Macedon. There he taught Alexander the Great, Ptolemy, and Cassander.

Now, you are going to be reading about what he did in the field of science. After studying at Plato’s Academy he went with a man named, Xenocrates to Asia. While in Asia, Aristotle went to the island of Lesbos to investigate the botany and zoology of the island. Aristotle also contributed to many other physical sciences including, anatomy, astronomy, embryology, geography, geology, meteorology, and physics. He had also proposed a fifth element. This element was aether. By element I mean the classical elements like fire, wind, earth, and water. Aether was said to be the heavenly spheres that make up the planets and stars.

Now, you are going to be reading about how I think Aristotle has paved way for many of us today. I think that Aristotle has done many great things to help future generations. He has impacted Islam and Christian theories and so much more. I think he would have been able to help us more but through time, more than half of his work has disappeared. Many of his works that we have today actually have been rough drafts of his real work. I think he had also done good work for people of his time to; because he had built a school which had helped educate people and make them thrive and so much more. I think that without Aristotle’s work we would still be set back by so much in the world of science.

Well, I hope you learned way more than you knew about the amazing scientist Aristotle. I also hope you liked my report. Thank you for reading.

Bibliography

N/A. "Aristotle." N/A. 15/5/2012. Wikipedia. 20/4 - 10/5/2012 <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotle>. http://www.historyforkids.org/learn/greeks/philosophy/aristotle.htm N/A. "Aristotle Facts, Quotes, Politicts." N/A. 4/27/2012. N/A. 4/30/12 <http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/sciencefacts/scientists/aristotle.html>.

Helium

Hi, today I’m going to talk about Helium. Helium symbol is “He”. Helium’s melting point is -272.05°C -458°F and its boiling point is -268.785°C-451.813°F. Helium is very important to humans, Earth, and many other things. At the end of my report you’ll know the importance of Helium. You’ll also know facts about Helium. Such as, Helium is a very small amount in the air around us, there is much more Helium in the air in Texas, Kansas, Wyoming, and Oklahoma. You’ll know many more things if you continue reading my report.

I’m going to write about Helium’s discoverer. Sir William Ramsay discovered helium. Sir William Ramsay discovered Helium in 1895. Here are facts about Sir William Ramsay. Sir William Ramsay was born in Glasgow City, UK on October 2nd 1852. Until William was 18 years old he studied in his hometown, after that he received his diploma for doctor philosophy.

Here are some uses for Helium. It is used for balloons, deep sea diving and many other things. Since helium is lighter than air it is filled with balloons and blimps. Helium is lighter than air because of its atomic mass. Helium is also used in MRI machines it is used to cool magnets. Since Hydrogen and Oxygen don’t stay in one place Helium makes them stay in one place, so basically Helium puts Hydrogen and Oxygen in one place. Helium helps deep sea divers have more oxygen while they are under water. They mix helium and oxygen and it makes the air last longer.

The place Helium was first discovered was during a solar eclipse. Scientists wanted to know what was in the sunrays. One day during a solar eclipse a man named Pierre Jules Cesar Janssen sat outside in Guntur, India. While the eclipse happened he noticed that the yellow sunrays from the sun weren’t sodium. The sunrays didn’t match up with any of the known elements. They kept studying and studying until Joseph Norman Lockyer discovered what it was, it was Helium. Both men were credited but the people from the French Academy of Sciences. Until Sir William Ramsay proved it was helium.

That was my report on Helium. I hope you learned a lot about Helium. There are many more facts about Helium but I only named a few facts about Helium. Search up Helium one day, it’ll be very interesting and you’ll learn even more facts about helium!

Europium

Hi, I’m going to write about Europium. Europium is a remarkable element, I’ll tell you why. Europium has a black, silver color. Its symbol is “Eu” It is a soft metal. Europium is what makes the color in TV’s! That’s amazing, right? If scientists hadn’t invented Europium television would still be in black and white! Europium cannot be found in nature. Europium was made in a science laboratory. This means it was man-made. It is only use is color in televisions. If you keep reading my report you’ll find out when it was discovered, basic information, and many other interesting things about Europium.

Here are some basic facts about Europium. Europium’s atomic mass is 151.964 amu. Europium's melting point is 822.0°C or 1511.6°F. It's boiling point is 1597.0°C or 2906.6°F. Europium's density is 5.259g/cm3. Europium’s freezing point is 822.0°C or 1511.6°F. Europium's classification is rare Earth. Europium is right in the middle of hard and soft. Europium has 63 Protons and Electrons, and 89 Neutrons. Those are some basic facts about Europium.

Where Europium was discovered, and when Europium was discovered. Eugene Demarcay was the discoverer of Europium. Europium was discovered in Europe in 1901. If you notice Europe and Europium sound alike, this is because Europium was named after Europe. Eugene Demarcay was born in Paris, France on January 1, 1852. Demarcay made his own private laboratory in Paris. Demarcay death date is not officially known. One person has one answer, and another person has another answer.

Europium Uses. As I mentioned before Europium is used for colored televisions. Without Europium television would still be in black and white. This is very interesting because all these elements that are in the color television make it happen; however Europium is not the only element that makes televisions. There are many more elements that help make TV’s.

That was my report about Europium. It’s amazing what one element can do in this big world! Everything makes a difference in this world, especially Europium. I hope you enjoyed my report on Europium. I also hope you learned about Europium.

Sulfur

Hi, I’m going to write about Sulfur. Sulfur is a very attention-grabbing element. Sulfur’s symbol is “S”. Sulfur has a golden or yellow color. Did you know that Sulfur is in your hair? Did you also know that Sulfur is in Epsom salts? It is also what skunks spray! Sulfur smells very bad; however when it is in our hair it has no odor. It is also in eggs, garlic, onions, hot springs, volcanoes, etc.

Here are some basic facts about Sulfur. Sulfur’s atomic number is 16. Sulfur’s symbol is “S”. Sulfur’s atomic weight is 32.065. Sulfur’s melting point is 115.21° C or 239.38°F and Sulfur’s boiling point is 444.60°C or 832.28°F; however Sulfur’s freezing point is its melting point. In this case that would be 115.21°C or 239.38°F. Sulfur’s element classification in non-metal, which means it’s not classified as a metal. Sulfur’s density is 2.067 grams per cubic centimeter.

How Sulfur was discovered. Sulfur was discovered before written records. Sulfur is mentioned in the bible. In biblical form Sulfur is “brimstone”. It was might’ve been discovered because of its color. “Sufra” in Arabic is Sulfur which means yellow. The element, Sulfur was discovered before ancient Egypt. Sulfur was mentioned for being used in ancient Greece, China, and Egypt.

Here is where you can find Sulfur. Sulfur is mostly everywhere! If you have dandruff and use a dandruff shampoo, most of those shampoos contain Sulfur. Sulfur is also used to make sulfuric acid. Sulfur is also used for an electrical insulator. This means that it stops the electric current.

That was my report on Sulfur. As you learned Sulfur is a very interesting element. It opens your eyes and you see that you can find it in your own body! It is even in things you eat. I found Sulfur a very interesting element because it was in my hair, eggs, and even volcanoes.

Bibliography Page

http://chemistry.about.com/od/elementfacts/a/sulfur.htm

http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/

http://www.chemicalelements.com/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europium

http://www.facts-about.org.uk/science-element-europium.htm

http://web1.caryacademy.org/facultywebs/gray_rushin/StudentProjects/ElementWebSites/europium/facts.htm

http://chemistry.about.com/od/elementfacts/a/helium.htm

http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/energy/helium/helium_facts.html

http://ask.yahoo.com/19991115.html

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistryactivities/a/Helium-Voice.htm

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/periodic/He.html

I am fun and I love my family! :) and I am an awesome cowgirl!!!! I love the color purple!!!