My Awsome Blog

Blogging is a fun, engaging way to write!

teacher: Mrs. Freitas

Element Report

Helium:

Symbol: He

Atomic Number: 2

Atomic Mass: 4.002602 amu

Melting point: -272.0 degrees C

Boiling point: -268.6 degrees C

Number of Neutrons: 2

Number of Protons or electrons: 2

Classification: Noble Gas

Color: Colorless

Crystal Structure: Hexagonal

Fun Facts about Helium

The reason I picked Helium was because I was always interested in the fact that helium makes your voice sound funny! Helium was discovered first on the sun before it was found on the earth. Pierre Janssen a French astronomer realized a yellow line in the suns spectrum while studying a total solar eclipse in 1868. Sir Norman Lockyer saw that this line could not be produced by any element known at the time. A new element on the sun was responsible for this weird yellow emission! Lockyer named this element Helium! Later on Sir William Ramsay discovered it on earth!

Helium has plenty of uses its uses are balloons, and deep sea diving! Helium is obtained from natural gas deposit and air as I explained earlier! Helium has the energy level of 1. Helium’s first energy level is 2. Helium is also the second most abundant element in the entire universe! Helium has the group number 18. This is all I have to say about helium!

I hope you learned a lot about this amazing element! Thank you. I hope you enjoyed!

Magnesium:

Symbol: Mg

Atomic Number: 12

Atomic mass: 24.305 amu

Melting Point: 650.0 degrees C

Boiling Point: 1107.0 degrees C

Color: grayish

Classification: Alkaline Earth

Number of neutrons: 12

Number of protons/ Electrons: 12

Crystal Structure: Hexagonal

Fun Facts The reason I picked magnesium is magnesium is because I haven’t heard anything about it and it sounded interesting! So I decided to use it for my element report! Let’s learn a few fun facts about Magnesium!

Magnesium was discovered 1808 by Sir Humphrey Davy. Sir Humphrey Davis is well known for his discoveries. Magnesium’s number of energy levels is 3. Its first energy level is 8. What’s cool is that it also has a third energy level that is 2. Its usual uses are for airplanes and missiles. It is obtained by sea water. Those are all the fun facts about Magnesium.

Thank you so much! I hoped you enjoyed! I also hope you learned a lot!

Oxygen

Name: Oxygen

Symbol: O

Atomic Number: 8

Atomic Mass: 15.9994 amu

Melting Point: -218.4 °C -361.12 °F

Boiling Point: -183.0 °C -297.4 °F

Number of Neutrons: 8

Number of Energy Levels: 2

First Energy Level: 2

Second Energy Level: 6

Fun Facts

The reason I picked oxygen was because it is one of the most important elements! Without it we would be able to live! Let’s learn some things about oxygen!

As we all know we practically all discovered oxygen, but one of the first people who actually went and looked at it more was Joseph Priestly. Joseph started looking and getting more into the concept in which we call; “air” that happened around 1774. Wow that was a long time ago. Of course the usual use of oxygen is that it supports life. We usually obtain oxygen from liquid air in which helps us breathe.

I hoped you learned a lot about this wonderful element that helps us live! Thank you hope you enjoy!

The websites I used were: www.chemicalelements.com and www.education.jlab.org and www.google.com

Have you ever heard of the amazing Babe Ruth? Well I am pretty sure you have! If you haven’t then this is the perfect place to learn some information on him!

One reason I chose Babe Ruth is because he is one of the greatest baseball players of all time! I have heard a lot of cool things about Babe Ruth but I never really knew anything about him! So I thought this would be a great opportunity to learn more about him! So I did some research and now I know a lot about him!

If I met Babe Ruth I would have him give me a lesson on baseball! That is because I don’t know anything about baseball and I would love to learn! I know about softball but hardly anything about baseball! I always thought there wasn’t a difference between the two, but now I know there is!

Babe Ruth was born on February 6, 1895 in Baltimore, Maryland. He was 1 of 8 but his sister survived with him! Babe Ruth had two wives the 1st one was Helena and his 2nd was Clarie. When he was with Helena he adopted a girl. When he was with Clarie he had two daughters naturally and adopted one more. Her name was Julia. Babe Ruth died of Cancer August 16, 1948.

Do you know how Babe got his nickname? Many of you may not know that Babe’s real name is George Herman Ruth Jr. Babe got his nickname from playing with the red socks. He was the youngest one on the team so they called him “Baby, Babe” for short. That nickname carried on with his career.

Babe started playing baseball on July 11, 1914. In between the time of his career he was elected in 1936 to be in the Hall Of Fame! Id that was me I would be jumping up and down and screaming! In 1918 he was traded to the New York Yankees. There he worked as an outfielder and a batter! He was really good. In his whole career he hit a total of 714 homeruns!!! Babe Ruth had a passion and love for baseball. He stopped playing baseball on May 30, 1936.

That was all about why I would like to meet Babe Ruth and a few interesting facts! Thank you I hope you enjoyed!

Oh, Rosalie

Narrator is: Cody

After Uncle Dock comes back from his long walk with Rosalie, Rosalie does not return with him. Sophie said, “Where is Rosalie?”“Yeah” I said. “Where is she?” asked everybody else. Uncle Dock said, “She is gone.” “Wait where is she?” I asked. Uncle dock said again “She is gone.” “Gone.” “Gone.” Gone.” Bompie knew exactly what Uncle Dock was talking about. “Where did she go?” asked Uncle Mo. “She went to Spain.” Uncle dock replied. Bompie said, “Go get her. Go. Go.” Bompie said. Uncle Dock said, “It is no use she is gone. She's going to Spain and her plane leaves in 20 minutes.” “Did you propose?” Sophie asked. “Yes. She said it was too soon.” “What do you mean too soon? You have been looking for her your whole life.” said Sophie. The argument continued.

The Argument

Narrator is Sophie

Uncle Dock, Uncle Mo, Uncle Stew and Bompie all got in an argument. Uncle Mo was saying, “It’s just a girl get over it.” Bompie kept on saying, “If you love her than go get her.” Uncle Stew said, “Go you only have 15 minutes ‘til her plane leaves. Finally Uncle Dock was motivated and said, “Wait here if I don’t come back get The Wanderer and come to Spain!” Off he went to get the girl of his dreams! Until Cody stopped him and said “Wait take my dog log and write in it and then, give it back so that I can read about your adventure to Spain!”

The Flight Attendant

Narrator is Uncle Dock

Off I went to the airport to look for the lovely Rosalie. It feels weird writing in this dog log as Cody wanted me too but here I am at the airport. I saw Rosalie in the airport and she didn’t see me but she was already getting ready to get on the plane! I ran towards her and tried to get in but the flight attendant didn’t let me on! I begged, I pleaded, I bribed and then she finally let me on! I knew bribing would work! I got on the plane and sat next to Rosalie. She was so happy but yet she was embarrassed because she said, “No”, to my marriage in the first place. We got off the plane. It was quite awkward at first. I noticed Rosalie wanted to tell me something. When we arrived at the hotel in Spain Rosalie exclaimed, “Dock you are the love of my life, I will marry you!” I stayed in shock for a couple of minutes but I realized Bompie was right. Mission accomplished!

Do you know about the Jr. Iditarod? If you don’t then keep reading and you will know all about it. I will tell you about how the racers and dogs are protected, how much food they need and much, much more!!

Do you ever think about how much food the dogs need in their long journey through the Jr. Iditarod? It is 2 lbs. per dog. You would think that would be a lot of food, but it really isn’t that much food. They get tired, and when they are tired they get hungry. They only carry 2 pounds of food per dog so that no racer has more food and no racer has less food.

Racers also have checkpoints. These checkpoints are created to protect racers and their dogs. You are probably wondering why they have checkpoints and how they are useful, and how they protect. They have a list with the racer's name and how many dogs they have. If they get there and they don’t have the same amount of dogs they are supposed to have or if they don’t come at all then they probably should send out a search pod or something else. At the checkpoints they check the dog’s paws and if the dogs have cracks in their paws they will give the dogs little booties. Those little booties will help the dogs through their long journey and make it much easier.

There is also a halfway checkpoint for the racers and dogs. They have to stay at that checkpoint for at least 10 hours. During the 10 hours the racers prepare. They feed their dogs and they rest. When the racers rest they have to sleep with their dogs on the ground. It might not sound comfortable but at least they get to sleep. Usually at night the racers build a fire that helps them keep them and their dogs warm.

That is all about what I know about the Jr. Iditarod. I told you about the checkpoints, the halfway checkpoint, and the food for the dogs. I hope you enjoyed this essay about the long journey of the Jr. Iditarod. Thank you!

Article posted March 5, 2012 at 05:23 PM GMT • comment (1) • Reads 45

Dear Grandma & Grandpa,

I am writing this letter to both of you to try to persuade you into buying me a Karaoke system. I am going to give you a few reasons why I want and need a Karaoke system.

One of the reasons I want a Karaoke system is because I can just have so much fun, invite my friends over and have a fantastic time. My friends and I would have so much fun. Just imagine it, me and friends rocking out and having fun at my house. They would love it and so would I. I think a karaoke system would be great for me. That is one of the reasons I would love to have a Karaoke system.

Another reason I would absolutely just love a Karaoke machine is because I would probably improve my singing skills, and if I could improve my singing skills I could get a really nice after school program, and also better my grade for school. I would also get a good scholarship because I would be in an after school program. I know you guys want me to get good grades, so why not have a Karaoke system. Seriously if you think about it I can 1. Improve my grades and get a good scholarship, 2. Get in a cool after school program and, 3. Develop my chances of being a professional singer.

Let me ask you a question. How many times have I asked you guys for things? Yes you already know the answer and the answer is many. I have asked you for many, many things. But see this thing is really important to me. It can 1. Improve my grades and get a good scholarship. 2. Get in a cool after school program 3. Develop my chances of being a professional singer and 4. It can give me memories and fun.

Well I guess that’s it. I hope you were persuaded to buy me that karaoke machine. So I told you about how it can give me fun. I told you about how it can give me good grades. And I told you about how it can develop my chances of being a professional singer. I hope you were persuaded.

Love,

Kayla

P.S. I love to sing

There once was a rabbit

who had two bad habbits.

Those habbits were eating to much cheese

and not saying pretty please.

So his mother sent him to his basket.

Snow is really fun

I like to play in the snow

I make snow angels

We were finally getting ready to leave. When my brother Spencer said “STOP!” I said “Wait, Wait, Wait.” Then my brother put a wooden box on my lap with my initials. I said “Thank you!” He looked so happy on the inside but he didn’t look so happy on the outside. Oh, my little sister I am going to miss you so much. HE told me that it was going to help me when I needed the most help, so he told me to not open it unless limes get bad. So we finally set of to Nebraska. So when Otto and I got there we got right to building. We knew that we were tiered but we did not want to sleep in the wagon.

Once we were almost done building Otto said, “I am hungry let’s take a break.” I said, “Ok, where is the food?” Otto said, “I don’t know. Didn’t you bring it?”I said, “No.” Then we said, “We forgot the food!” I said, “But we are going to starve.” So we looked everywhere, we could not find it even though it was the middle of nowhere. So we started walking. We couldn’t find anything. Until…

I thought of the box. Oh I was jumping up and down and Otto said, “What?” I said, “The box.” Then we were both jumping up and down! Then I got the box and there was nothing in there. I just wanted to go back to Spencer and kill him and then bring him back to life and skin him. I was so mad. Now I lost hope in everything, we are never going to find food.

So we started to walk. There were no neighbors for 5 or maybe 6 miles. Oh so we just kept on walking. Then we found some neighbors. Their names were Isabella and Dominic. They gave us food. They didn’t even give us a price. It was for free. I was so happy, I didn’t know how to repay them but they didn’t want money. They just wanted us to be happy!

So we walked back home and ate and kept on building, finally we were done. We were forever happy and we knew who to go to if things got bad. Everything was well again.

I am going to tell you some of Ben Franklin’s big ideas. He had a lot of good ideas that we use today. Now let’s get starred.

Ben Franklin was one of those people that when he saw a question he just had to answer it. Even if it would take him days, months, even years he would try to figure it out. If you would give him a riddle he would figure it out. So now let’s talk about his big ideas.

Did you know that Ben Franklin invented the Almanac? He said it was his how-to book. He put the weather forecast in there and when to plant, how to plant, when the sun came up when the sun came down. He published his first edition in 1763 in 2 years he sold 10,000 copies. Isn’t that amazing?

Ben Franklin also thought that Lightning & Electricity were the same. He said that they were the same because if you don’t have electricity the lightning rod will burn your house down. That’s another big idea he had that some people still bicker about today.

Ben Franklin also helped out with the revolutionary war. He was sent to London to ask France to help fight Europe. France chooses to help them. France gave England money and sent soldiers.

Ben Franklin did so much for us. We still use a lot of his inventions. He had so many great ideas. I hope you enjoyed!

November 10, 1620

Dear Eric and Masyn,

Oh, how I miss you. I feel terrible leaving you guys behind but we all know it’s for the best. Well how are you and Masyn doing? I am doing fine. Sometimes tragic but fine. I am so very, very sorry that I missed your Birthday sweetie pie. You know that you are the best thing that ever happened to me, so happy birthday! Oh by the way Isabella, Sophia, Michal, Dad, Mom, Maya and Evangeline are fine.

Oh my gosh! I just have to tell you about last week! So we were sailing and all of a sudden it got really foggy, and we could not see which way we should go. Then Sophia caught a cold and then got really sick. Then Isabella got really sick. And then I didn’t know what to do because Michal was super sick and I was just terrified, because I was trying to take care of all of them at the same time. I had no idea what to do. I lost hope in everything. Some people died and pops took care of them some people almost died but mom made soup for the sick, but most important people lost hope nobody thought that we were going to find the new land. Oh I wish you were here! I love and miss you.

Sooner or later we found the new land we named it Plymouth. People got better. But not Michal. Oh, my sisters and I prayed for hours then days then weeks. Then finally he got better. We all celebrated with some coconuts. WE FOUND LAND I CAN’T BELIVE THIS! Well I can believe this. I will come back to where you are so that you can come live with me oh I can’t wait to see you!

Love,

Kayla

P.S I love guys so much!