Sophia's Blog

Blogging is a fun, engaging way to write!

teacher: Mrs. Freitas

Article posted May 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM GMT • comment • Reads 70

Hi Mrs Freitas! So far my summer has been going really good. Yesterday I went swimming at Danitza's house, also I went to Julia's house to go swimming the other day. My sister, Alena went with me! Me and my family have been doing a lot of stuff together. In a couple of weeks, my family and I are going to Phoenix to spend time with my cousin. I will blog when I'm in Phoenix! Also, Alena said, "Hi Mrs Freitas!"

Today was our 5th grade promotion! It was really awesome. Congratulations to all the grads/promoters out there!

In my blog today I am going to be talking about Dolly Madison. I picked Dolly Madison for my blog. Dolly Madison was born on May 20, 1768 in Guilford County, North Carolina. Her dad was John Payne and her mom was Mary Coles Payne. She had 4 brothers and 3 sisters.

Before she was married she worked in her dad’s starch farm. The first time she got married was to John Todd, he was a lawyer. Then he died on October 14, 1793. Dolly remarried to James Madison on September 15, 1794. She became the First Lady in March 4, 1809 - March 3, 1817. She was 40 years old when she finished being the First lady.

As the First Lady, she thought of it being a big project. She did fundraisers and she also found a Washington D.C. orphanage for girls. She helped her husband with organizing and preparing for public release of the papers he used in drafting the U.S. Constitution. She was a big help to a lot of people in the world!

I chose Dolly Madison because I thought she was cool in the book and she was cool in real life! Thanks for reading my blog. I hope you learned a little bit of who Dolly Madison is!

Today, I am going to talk about my three elements I picked. My first element I picked was Neon. The symbol is Ne. Do you know what the atomic number to Neon is? It is number 10. Sir William Ramsay and Morris William Travers created/ found Neon in 1898. Neon can be found in tiny groups in the atmosphere. Also it can be found in the rocks in Earth’s crust. Neon gas is used for advertising signs.

My next element is Potassium. The symbol for Potassium is K. The atomic number is 19. Sir Humphrey Davy found this element in 1807. You can find Potassium in minerals. The Potassium iron is very important to the muscle tissue. “K” is used for making glass and soap.

My last element is Yttrium. The symbol is Y. The atomic number is 39. Did you know that Johan Gadolin found Yttrium in 1794? You can also find “Y” in minerals just like Potassium! It is used for red phosphors in the TV also, it is in radars.

Thank you!!

Chapter 1

Narrator: Sophie

After Uncle Dock comes back from the walk with Rosalie he said, “Rosalie, said she needs to go to Spain to do something important.” We all said, “Go get her back! Isn’t she important to you?” Uncle Dock said, “Yes, but she is already too far. It is too late.”

Chapter 2

Narrator: Cody

Poor Uncle Dock, he can’t go get Rosalie. Or can he?

Chapter 3

Narrator: Sophie

Cody just told me that Uncle Dock could still get Rosalie! I asked but how? He said, “We can get back in the car, and go to the airport!” We agreed and told Uncle Dock.

Chapter 4

Narrator: Cody

Sophie and I agreed on my option, told Uncle Dock, and he said yes!

Chapter 5

Narrator: Cody

We got in the car and drove to the airport and only Sophie, Uncle Dock, and I left. If we waited one more minute, we would have missed Rosalie.

Chapter 6

Narrator: Sophie

Uncle Dock convinced Rosalie to come with him to go back to Bompie’s house. She said, “No, if you want to be with me, you have to come with me to Spain.” Uncle Dock said, “Yes, yes! I’ll do ANYTHING to be with you!”

Chapter 7

Narrator: Cody

I can not believe that Uncle Dock said that he will go to Spain with Rosalie! Uncle Dock went to go buy a ticket to go to Spain. I wonder if they are going to get married. I hope he comes and visits back here.

Chapter 8

Narrator: Sophie

I have not written in this journal in a long time. The last time I wrote we were going to the airport to go get Rosalie. But now, Uncle Dock is getting married to Rosalie! Their wedding is going to be in Tangier, Morocco. We left from England to Tangier in an airplane.

Chapter 9

Narrator: Cody

It took about 1 day and 4 hours to get there. But it was fantastic! Also we met some awesome people along the way.

Chapter 10

Narrator: Sophie

They FINALY got married! I can’t believe Uncle Dock and Rosalie (Aunt Rosalie)! I hope they live happily ever after!

Do you know what the Jr. Iditarod is? In my blog I’m going to write about the Iditarod Dream and how the racers protect their dogs. Iditarod helps protect the racers and the dogs. The Jr. Iditarod is when different people go to Nome, Alaska carrying medicine for the people in Nome that are really sick and they can only survive with medicine. It is just like a relay race but they aren’t using the metal things, they use the medicine. They hand them off to each other using their sleds and their dogs. They mush and mush until they reach the person that they’re supposed to give it to them.

The mushers have to carry 32 pounds of dog food, 2 pounds per dog. Also each musher has 16 sled dogs! Once they reach each checkpoint, they can feed their dogs, if they want to. When they reach the half way point, they feed their dogs again, and they have to wait ten hours. After their ten hours are up, they get to leave and continuing mushing.

Also when they reach the half way point, the mushes must check the dog’s paws to see if the dogs have little scratches, and if their paws are really cold. If the have the scratches they put little booties on their paws. The booties help the dog’s paws get warmer and they help them make the trip easier and faster.

Thanks for reading my essay on my blog!

Article posted March 6, 2012 at 05:22 PM GMT • comment (5) • Reads 46

Dear Mrs. Freitas and Mrs. Cruz,

Hi, today I am writing this letter to you because I would like to have a picnic insteadof the 5th grade Talent Show. We should have the picnic because the 5th grade Talent Show was canceled. It can be outside; it can be a HUGE picnic. Everyone will have a lot of fun if we have it!

Families can come together and spend time with their kids. If they do not come they will miss out on all the fun! We can have games, board games, contests and just a lot of pleasure.

Also, if some kids signed up for the Talent Show, they can now perform in the picnic! They can perform in the picnic because the Talent Show got canceled. Some kids were really devastated.

If we have the picnic, it can also be a potluck! People can bring different foods. It can bring a bunch of culture to the 5th grade and our families. Also after we eat the kids can perform, after that we can play the games, board games, and also the contests!

Overall, we should have the picnic because, 1) it would be lots of fun, 2) families can come together, 3) kids can perform, and 4) we can play games, board games, and contest. That is why we should have the picnic instead of the Talent Show!

There was once a mummy

that had a dummy

he sat in his room,

it was next to a tomb

and it was very funny

I love Polar bears

Polar bears like to eat seals

Polar bears are cute

In the middle of August, my husband Otto and I were going t Nebraska. Before we left, I said good-bye to my older brother Spencer. He gave me a box that had my initials on it. He told me that there was something special in it. He said, “When times are hard, open this box. Okay Hattie?” I said okay. So we left and it was a very long trip. We took food, tools to build, wood, crops, and clothes. One day it was very hot and another day was very cold. Sometimes I would sleep in the wagon while Otto drives the wagon. While Otto drove, I was thinking how to ration our food so we don’t run out. It took about three days to get to Nebraska.

When we got to Nebraska, we started to build our house and plant our crops. While we built our house, Otto and I slept in the wagon. Suddenly there was a prairie fire. It burned our crop and house down! Otto and I was very worried and scared. We didn’t know if we can build our house, or plant crops again. Probably there was a neighbor a mile away. Otto and I were too tired to do ANYTHING!

I remembered that I got a present from Spencer! Spencer said there was something very valuable in it. Maybe the valuable things in the box will help Otto and I buy more crops and wood. When I opened it, there was nothing in it! I was SO mad at Spencer! There was no valuable thing or anything in the box. I can’t believe that Spencer lied to me! I wanted to go back and give Spencer a piece of my mind.

Just as I thought everything was lost, Otto found a forest that was a minute away! So we got in the wagon and drove over there. I was so happy Otto found a forest! Otto cut some wood from the trees and we headed back to our home stead (or some of it because of the fire). About an hour of building, I remembered that we brought food and that it was in the wagon!

SO I went to the wagon and got the food out. Otto stopped building to see what I was doing. He was SO happy that we still had food! So we ate some food in the wagon and, somebody knocked on our wagon. Her name was Abigail and she saw that there was a prairie fire and she brought us some more wood and crop seeds. She lived in the forest and she said if we need ANYTHING, she would help us.

Even though times are hard, we will have a great life!

September 16, 1620

Dear Mom,

Hi mom! How are you doing? I miss you and the family! Today Alena and I were passengers on the Mayflower! You can’t believe how many storms we have had! The last one was really bad.

The waves were so big, the waves took Alena overboard. I lost it when she was overboard. I fell on my knees and started crying and crying. Just then when I thought she was gone, the sailors jumped into action! One sailor got a rope and another sailor got her out of the sea. I am so glad she came back! One time a man got swept over board! Lucky for him because there was a rope by him and, he pulled his self up!

One day a storm was coming and the sailors send Alena, me and all the other pilgrims down below deck! It was very cramp below deck! Luckily Alena and I got a little place in the corner out of the cold and damp. Some had to stay in the ships small work boat. Also the food they are giving us, it is very dry and nasty! I got sick just eating that food. Even though this trip is getting hard, I know every thing will be okay!

Love,

Sophia

**2 months later**

November 21, 1620

Dear Mom,

Hi mom! Someone just said, “Lands Ahead!” We did not believe him but then they said, “Land Ho!” so we went to the land! Alena and I were so happy! When we got there, we washed our clothes in a little lake. We made a settlement and it is nice. Maybe one day you can came one day and visit! Love,

Sophia

Do you know Ben Franklin’s big ideas? I’m going to tell you about a few. I think you’ll really enjoy this essay!

Did you know that Ben Franklin published the 1st almanac? It was published in 1733. It was called Poor Richards Almanac. It had the weather forecast, when the moon would be full, when the sun went up and down, when to plant, the holidays, and the schedule of tides. He also had some short one-liners. They were quick how-to hints. For example, eat to live not live to eat, a penny saved is a penny earned, half wits talk much but say little and more. He sold 10,000 copies every year to most of the families in the United States.

So you probably know that Ben Franklin discovered that lighting and electricity are the same. Ben Franklin had a kite with a rod on the top and flew it to attract lighting. One he wanted to kill a turkey with electricity. He got so carried away with this performance in front of other people, that he socked him self, and he got unconscious. He said, “I wanted to kill a turkey, not a goose.”

If you didn’t know Ben Franklin was a very good negotiator. He persuaded France into helping the United States in the war. They send more troops, and more stuff for the troops. The French ladies called him papa and they had his picture on the ladies mantles and in there rings. A year before Ben Franklin came back to America, his wife Debra died.

These were some of Ben’s big ideas! Hopefully you have liked my essay!

Do you know what Ben Jonson meant when he said he was not of an age, but for all time? Well I do and this is what I think. William Shakespeare was in the age of poetry. He was not known of just for that time and he was popular in the 1500’s.today we are still reading his plays, and some of them are made into movies! William Shakespeare will NEVER be forgotten!

My author’s purpose is informed. I picked inform because I’m writing about polar bears. I picked polar bears because I love polar bears and I like a good challenge. I have to do a bunch of research and it is going great!

I think a good book is when they have a really good title and it has very good illustration. Also it has good detail, and interesting to read.

I think american music is all kind of music. For example, hip hop, jazz, country, pop, and many more. I like american music because it is intersting to listen, and It's fun to dance to it. You can tap your feet, snap, hum, also dance.

Article posted September 9, 2011 at 04:27 AM GMT • comment • Reads 42

A good story gabs your attention. It has really good details, it's intresting to read, and it is understandable.

Hi my name is Sophia. I am 11 years old. My friends names are Chante, Kayla, Julia, Rudi and Ashley. I have one sister, Alena, one mom and dad. I also have two dogs and one fish!